Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

703 posted:

This has been my nightmare from the get-go. IF Don dropped out, I feel like the bland republican they would get to replace him would have the base so loving excited that they would come out in droves.

Hilary only doing okay because the only real alternative is Don.

Get so excited for who

If there was a guy "the base" could agree on, that guy would be running for president right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Get excited for noted war hero Chris Kyle.

Oh man has his family issued a statement yet?

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

zoux posted:

Get so excited for who

If there was a guy "the base" could agree on, that guy would be running for president right now.

Now the base knows what Trump is like, the 30% that are voting for anyone with an R will be happy, and all traditional republicans can come back into the fold. Not even so much about coming back into the fold, just coming back to the loving ballot box.

edit: I hope i'm wrong, because the coat-tails for this election are going to be glorious.

double edit: and now I know why people don't engage w/ zoux. no u

703 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 3, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

703 posted:

Now the base knows what Trump is like, the 30% that are voting for anyone with an R will be happy, and all traditional republicans can come back into the fold. Not even so much about coming back into the fold, just coming back to the loving ballot box.

I mean, no, not at all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/760868213668405249

Heh.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

There is no way a pinch hitter would draw in more establishment voters than he would drive away disgusted Trumpers.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What if it's David Duke?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

emdash posted:

petition started by Karen Bass, CA37 congressperson: https://www.change.org/p/diagnosetrump

I'm pretty sure APA considers it unethical to publicly comment on political candidates since Eagleton.

703 posted:

This has been my nightmare from the get-go. IF Don dropped out, I feel like the bland republican they would get to replace him would have the base so loving excited that they would come out in droves.

Hilary only doing okay because the only real alternative is Don.

At most they will just disown him. I still don't believe they really are capable of replacing him on the ballot.

"Vote Trump so that our Electors can instead vote Cruz/Ryan/Marco" isn't a winning slogan.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

703 posted:

edit: I hope i'm wrong, because the coat-tails for this election are going to be glorious.

You are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Forcing Trump out would be a disaster. It would make a large portion of their base take the Bernout path but infinitely more justified.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/08/03/georgia-republican-says-he-might-withhold-electoral-college-vote-from-donald-trump/

A member of the Georgia electoral college saying he may not vote for trump if he wins the state. :aaa:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Rose's twitter account spotted.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

703 posted:

Trump has 80%+ support among Republicans. In fact they seem to love him even more when they learn about the stupid poo poo he says.

There won't be a knight in shining armour. At best it'll be some also-ran or has-been who'll take one for the team and get slaughtered just like Trump would. Anyone with any future in the party will stay as far away from this ticket as they possibly can. They didn't want to run for President this time and they sure as hell don't want to run on a ticket with Trump sniping at them and inciting the base against them.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Forcing Trump out would be a disaster. It would make a large portion of their base take the Bernout path but infinitely more justified.

Zombie Samurai posted:

There is no way a pinch hitter would draw in more establishment voters than he would drive away disgusted Trumpers.

Yes, I agree. The shitstorm is loving glorious.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Anyone who's worried about Trump dropping out needs to realize that if anyone, literally anyone, decides to stay home over Trump getting screwed that's game over. If 5% of the Republican's reliable base decides not to vote or to write Trump in then the Republicans have no shot at all of carrying the election and will more than likely lose in a massive landslide. I think establishment Republicans are going to start rapidly distancing themselves from him, but they aren't going to kick him out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

They can't force him out.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Manafort said on Fox that "[Trump] is in charge of the campaign, [and I'm] in charge of doing the things he wants to do for the campaign." If true, insanity can only continue

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mahoning posted:

LOL, for some reason the scene in Home Alone 2 with Tim Curry and the other hotel employees all saying "We LOVE you" in unison came to mind.

It's no coincidence.

gregday
May 23, 2003

This is Fine.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Antti posted:

So this is like the equivalent of standing outside Trump Tower and shouting "BOY HOWDY IT SURE WOULD BE NICE IF MISTER TRUMP JUST DROPPED OUT, HUH?"

I mean there could be a private ultimatum. "Either fake a heart attack and drop out or we'll pull all our help/turn on you and you'll lose by 10-15 points". If Trump at any point is faced with a choice between getting smoked or having to save face, he's going to pick face-saving as a matter of ego-survival. The trick is convincing Trump that's what he's looking at (which I'm not sure is possible).

(But it doesn't matter if it's possible, only if RNC folks think it could be possible)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Trabisnikof posted:

At most they will just disown him. I still don't believe they really are capable of replacing him on the ballot.

Trump has to die to drop out, they can't force him off the ticket without rewriting their rules and, again, this is nuclear-option stuff that has a higher chance of fracturing the party than letting Trump jump off the political cliff does.

Plus the only way Trump would agree to drop out is if it benefits him more than staying in the race. He's so loving vain he'd probably demand a several billion dollar bribe to leave. Which would still piss off a ton of his rabid white wing supporters.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jackson Taus posted:

I mean there could be a private ultimatum. "Either fake a heart attack and drop out or we'll pull all our help/turn on you and you'll lose by 10-15 points". If Trump at any point is faced with a choice between getting smoked or having to save face, he's going to pick face-saving as a matter of ego-survival. The trick is convincing Trump that's what he's looking at (which I'm not sure is possible).

(But it doesn't matter if it's possible, only if RNC folks think it could be possible)

He won't. He'll go "I'LL WIN THIS ANYWAY!" And continue to double down on the whole rigged angle.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Trabisnikof posted:

It is pretty dubious that these big companies and rich people would give money to an organization and then that organization would spend that money on "projects" to "bring people together" to "take on" things they call "challenges of the 21st century"

Who needs proof when the facts are so obvious?

Check yourself before you wreck yourself

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...79dd_story.html

An older story but explains more in detail.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

iospace posted:

He won't. He'll go "I'LL WIN THIS ANYWAY!" And continue to double down on the whole rigged angle.

Right, I agree. But RNC folks strategizing this may not be thinking in those terms (or may realize it's a Hail Mary and be trying it anyhow).

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Have we talked about Jill Stein's new conspiratorial running mate yet? Does anyone care? Is anyone actually voting for her besides a handful of angry white people on my Facebook feed?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

You do realise that even if one nuclear weapon detonates, it's likely the world will enter nuclear winter, yes?

What? No. We've open-air tested hundreds and set off thousands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaTp5h_m2a8

Even a pretty substantial nuclear exchange short of TOTAL GLOBAL THERMONUCLEAR WARFARE wouldn't have particularly dire environmental consequences other than slight increases in background cancer rates. (Outside of blast sites/direct fallout contamination)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

You know, given that Trump made his announcement that he had a 'secret plan for easily defeating ISIS' shortly after that. Who wants to bet this secret plan involves nukes?

I love how the absolute most charitable interpretation of this statement is that Donald has an answer to prevent thousands of deaths but is withholding it because he's afraid of not getting credit.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wish someone would put a bug in his ear concerning dropping the GOP and just running third party seeing as though they won't support him and are starting to turn against him anyway.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/03/opinion/campaign-stops/paul-ryans-long-hot-summer.html?_r=2&referer=

quote:

The deeper problem is that Ryan’s reputation, his standing as a public figure, will not recover easily from what’s transpiring in presidential politics right now. Yes, the people of his district will presumably return him to the House even without Trump’s imprimatur, and his colleagues will probably return him to the speakership no matter who wins the White House.

But more than most politicians Ryan has always laid claim to a mix of moral and substantive authority; more than most he has sold himself to the right’s intelligentsia and the centrist media as one of Washington’s men of principle. And both that authority and that brand are being laid waste in this campaign.

Every time Ryan talks about patriotism, every time he talks about conservative ideals, the orange face of Trump seems to rise moon-like behind his shoulder — a reminder that this patriot and idealist is supporting, for the highest office in the republic and the most powerful position in the world, a man that he obviously knows (including, one assumes, from firsthand exposure) to be dangerous, unstable, unprincipled and unfit.

Long after this election is over, that effect will endure. Every piety that the speaker utters, every moral posture that he strikes, will be received with derision by anyone who remembers the months that he spent urging Americans, albeit through gritted teeth, to make Donald Trump commander in chief.

It's Douthat but drat that's a pretty great couple of lines.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tibeerius posted:

One correction. The Americans who were "ransomed" in this story were not the sailors, they were a Washington Post reporter, a former U.S. Marine, a pastor, and one other person.

Why this is a story in August baffles me. Everyone knew the key facts back in January.

The same reason that putting actual figures to the previously-known loosening of the Iranian nuclear deal after year 10 counted as "news" a few weeks ago.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its a great couple of lines, sure, but lest we forget the short memories of the GOP voting bloc.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Roflan posted:

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/08/03/georgia-republican-says-he-might-withhold-electoral-college-vote-from-donald-trump/

A member of the Georgia electoral college saying he may not vote for trump if he wins the state. :aaa:

no no no, that's also very bad.

The electoral college has enough problems without the electorate worrying if they'll follow the people's votes.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

CommieGIR posted:

Its a great couple of lines, sure, but lest we forget the short memories of the GOP voting bloc.

Douthat himself will forget that as soon as the Dems keep the WH and take the Senate and Speaker Paul Ryan is the only thing preventing Full Communism.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Eh, electors have done it before. It's how the Libertarians got their only EC vote in history.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

i am the bird posted:

Have we talked about Jill Stein's new conspiratorial running mate yet? Does anyone care? Is anyone actually voting for her besides a handful of angry white people on my Facebook feed?

No, can you tell us who this person is and what is so conspiratorial about him/her?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/onlxn/status/760883074577993729

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Somnambulant surgeon Ben Carson on CNN calling on the Kahns to apologize so we can put all this behind us.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The base wanted Trump, the base got Trump. You can't unscramble that egg.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/760886927394480128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

theflyingorc posted:

no no no, that's also very bad.

The electoral college has enough problems without the electorate worrying if they'll follow the people's votes.

The US Electoral College has had a smattering of faithless electors over the years, with the latest in 2000, but it hasn't mattered since at least 1836 and 1800.

I do agree that optics-wise it looks bad, especially if you want to avoid the spectre of an illegitimate election.

• Locked thread