Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

HIJK posted:

Would you say it made you feel...bad?
It's more complicated than that. I was impressed by many aspects of the filmmaking, and there were certainly interesting things happening, but there was a mounting sense of discomfort throughout the film. I'm trying to think of another film that's affected me that way, and all I can come up with is Triumph of the Will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm trying to think of another film that's affected me [like Marvel's Civil War], and all I can come up with is Triumph of the Will.

Yikes.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's an article in the Hollywood Reporter today about how Warner Bros freaked out about Suicide Squad after their teaser trailer got a huge online reaction and forced Ayer to cut the movie to be like the teaser trailer.

The problem we're having now is that Marvel has established a certain status quo and people are expecting that in all comic book cinema. If the Marvel Way is violated and filmmakers try to move out of the "quippy status-quo worshipping power fantasy" box they get enormous amounts of critical venom and vocal abuse, all of which drag down the movie's box office. So the economic pressure is to cave to the Marvel model and make lightweight cinematic junk food.

Edit: the real interesting thing about BvS and Suicide Squad is that WB pulled the trigger on them so impulsively, as 120 million dollar movies go. Ayer got 6 weeks to write his script. When Batman v Superman was announced at Comic Con 2013 they had literally made the decision 3 days prior.

Or they large amounts of critical venom and vocal public abuse because they don't know what they're doing and keep making bad films. There were stylistically divergent comic films in the past that were enormous critical and commercial successes, and the critically trashed WB/DC movies have frequently had very large opening box office numbers even when they've been marketed as being distinctly different from the Marvel films. The problem is that those openings are followed by substantial drops because despite high initial interest the films themselves disappoint general audiences as well as critics. The "status quo" that Marvel established and DC/WB are failing to conform with is simply a threshold for quality.

e: It doesn't really matter if Suicide Squad was once brilliant art that studio execs hacked apart in an attempt to imitate Marvel's cinematic McDonalds (lol)- what matters is that they decided to make their own "cinematic junk food" and the actual meal served is apparently a failure on those terms.

LGD fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 3, 2016

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I am taking the same stance as Eisenstein.

It seems unnecessarily limiting to say you should only do one or the other.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 19, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Looks fuckawesome to me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Bright and bursting with color.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LGD posted:

DC/WB are failing to conform

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Yes, it turns out that storytelling matters and if you do it right you can get people hyped for a re-creation of the 90's X-Men cartoon intro on an airport tarmac, while if you do it wrong the prettiest shots in the world will simply go to waste.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What you just quoted is the storytelling.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

From what I remember from reading comics when I was eight, that's pretty comicbooky.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

LGD posted:

Yes, it turns out that storytelling matters and if you do it right you can get people hyped for a re-creation of the 90's X-Men cartoon intro on an airport tarmac, while if you do it wrong the prettiest shots in the world will simply go to waste.

The X-Men intro had some actual energy in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRmoy6bHUX4

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

LGD posted:

There were stylistically divergent comic films in the past that were enormous critical and commercial successes

Name some.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What you just quoted is the storytelling.

Sure. But its a moment in time, a small portion of the entire whole. A sentence in a novel. Even if, as a sentence, it's incredibly beautiful and poetic it is extremely reliant on what comes before and after. A sequence of utterly banal and workmanlike statements, when combined, may lead to a far more engaging and enjoyable end result.

e:

I thought ya'll liked the Nolan films? There are also the earlier Batman/Superman films, Sin City, etc. Maybe Spiderman 1-2 though those are Marvel films. This is without considering action franchises that serve as pretty good analogues even if no one is wearing spandex- i.e. James Bond and the Fast and Furious crew.

LGD fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 3, 2016

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

I'd say there's enough Raimi in SPIDERMAN 2 to make it stand out, even though all told it wasn't that long ago. It isn't washed out for one thing, and stylistically it doesn't feel like a movie that anyone else could make. Honestly though I generally 'like' the Marvel movies, you could have anyone sat behind the Director's chair and it would feel the same.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
A lot of what fucks that tarmac sequence up is how, in an attempt to get those full-team splash panel shots in there, they've made everyone move at similar paces and in similar ways. As such, it lacks that vital energy and childlike wonder that composes the good half of the "smashing your action figures together" idea, because nobody's really moving in a way that tells you anything about what kind of physical and emotional perspective they bring to the fight beyond "I can/can't fly".

Instead, we're left with the bad half of smashing action figures - commoditized, interchangeable action. Ain't no kid ever told his friends "okay we've got five power rangers and five monsters, and let's bring them together real carefully... nice and easy..."

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_English-language_comics

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

So what you're saying is that what people like about these movies is the banal and the workmanlike because there's a promise of some ultimate satisfaction.

Well that's obvious, it's how fandom operates.

I'm saying that for most people the experience of a film or book is frequently more (or less) than the sum of its parts. The banal and workmanlike frequently does lead to a greater satisfaction at the end. Elmore Leonard's sentences are very rarely beautiful taken in isolation, but they work in the context of the whole and his fiction is loving great. That's not fandom, that's an acknowledgement of how most people process these things.

e: though Elmore is not the best comparison here- probably like Stephen King or JK Rowling

LGD fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 3, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The pretentiousness is palpable.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LGD posted:

I'm saying that for most people the experience of a film or book is frequently more (or less) than the sum of its parts. The banal and workmanlike frequently does lead to a greater satisfaction at the end. Elmore Leonard's sentences are very rarely beautiful taken in isolation, but they work in the context of the whole and his fiction is loving great. That's not fandom, that's an acknowledgement of how most people process these things.

So what you're saying is that Marvel hasn't actually set the threshold for quality, just audience response.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Not actually the final shot from the film.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

PriorMarcus posted:

Not actually the final shot from the film.

Yeah, it's not really fair.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

So what you're saying is that Disney/Marvel hasn't actually set the threshold for quality, just audience response.

If wide audiences (and critics, who are ostensible "gatekeepers") keep responding favorably to their output I'm not sure what else you'd call it other than consistent quality? You can argue that its insufficiently edifying, but again even if we concede that it's all cinematic McDonalds that means they're producing stuff that people consistently like. If people generally like WB/DC's offerings less than CineMcDonalds regardless of whether it's a deconstructed gourmet offering (lmao) or their own attempt at fast food that's not really something that that reflects badly on CineMcDonalds, especially when those offerings are explicitly aimed at the same audience and are trying to compete on the same terms.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LGD posted:

If wide audiences (and critics, who are ostensible "gatekeepers") keep responding favorably to their output I'm not sure what else you'd call it other than consistent quality?

Popularity.

McDonalds food, for example, is popular but not good.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If the best you can come up with is a positive comparison to McDonald's then maybe you should consider the sparseness of your footing

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

LGD posted:

If wide audiences (and critics, who are ostensible "gatekeepers") keep responding favorably to their output I'm not sure what else you'd call it other than consistent quality? You can argue that its insufficiently edifying, but again even if we concede that it's all cinematic McDonalds that means they're producing stuff that people consistently like. If people generally like WB/DC's offerings less than CineMcDonalds regardless of whether it's a deconstructed gourmet offering (lmao) or their own attempt at fast food that's not really something that that reflects badly on CineMcDonalds, especially when those offerings are explicitly aimed at the same audience and are trying to compete on the same terms.

I think part of what's leading you to go around in circles with Bravest here is that, at least that I've seen, you haven't really been talking about what makes them good movies other than the most backhanded poo poo. They're good because a lot of people like them. Okay, why do those people like them? They're good because they're more than the sum of their workmanlike parts. Okay, what's present in the sum that's absent in the parts? And so on

Throw us a bone here, else it's gonna be infinite purposeless CineD recursion town

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Marvel's success isn't that hard. They create characters that people like to watch and they make movies that are an enjoyable, well made and coherent two hours at the flicks. Then they just double down on it. Like the poo poo that people talk about on here like shot composition or how the movie is really about blah blah blah simply does not matter to the majority of the audience. That's not saying they're dumb or anything like that, because they're not, but they're simply not thinking about that.

Eventually the fatigue will set in, but Marvel's success isn't really all that much of a mystery.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Civil War is a Captain America movie that's not about America or being American.

The Dark Knight is a movie about a fairskinned man who has not been knighted by royalty.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

DrVenkman posted:

Marvel's success isn't that hard. They create characters that people like to watch and they make movies that are an enjoyable, well made and coherent two hours at the flicks.

Except even this is just chock full of assumptions that you're glossing over. Why do people like to watch their characters? Why do they enjoy the overall movies? What does it mean for them to be well-made? "Coherent" is probably the most substantial point here, the idea being that Marvel's movies are easier to follow and their competitors don't have payoffs good enough to warrant the extra effort in following their less coherent stuff

I wanna stress that like, I'm not trying to do some gotcha poo poo here and be like "nuh-uh, people don't actually like their characters!" It's just silly how positive discussion of MCU stuff boils down so often to "people like them because they're good, and they're good because they're good". If making a global franchise this popular and financial successful was as simple as "make things that people want to watch", it'd be harder for execs at other studios to step over all these goddamn rakes as reliably as they do

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Dark Knight is a movie about a fairskinned man who has not been knighted by royalty.

Triumph Of The Will never once shows Will being triumphant. Poor Will :(

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The vast majority of people who clamor to watch marvel movies are literal children. Most adults don't give a poo poo about them and only buy the ticket to see it with their kids. Kids enjoy them because they have no frame of reference as to what a well shot, well characterized movie looks or sounds like.

An appeal to populism is not a road you want to go down.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Kids enjoy them because they have no frame of reference as to what a well shot, well characterized movie looks or sounds like.

You say that as if most adults do.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mr. stefan posted:

The vast majority of people who clamor to watch marvel movies are literal children. Most adults don't give a poo poo about them and only buy the ticket to see it with their kids. Kids enjoy them because they have no frame of reference as to what a well shot, well characterized movie looks or sounds like.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Popularity.

McDonalds food, for example, is popular but not good.
McDonalds is not popular for popularity's sake, it is popular because it provides a product of a certain consistent quality at a low price. We're not comparing McDonalds to a small hole in the wall restaurant serving gourmet cuisine here, we're comparing it to a well funded competitor who has opened a competing franchise, advertised it heavily to exactly the same people who patronize McDonalds, and gotten huge numbers of them to try its products when they're introduced. The general consensus of people who have tried those products is that they meals are uneven and generally substantially less enjoyable than what McDonalds gives you. You may personally be a Burger King guy, but ranting about how McDonalds has set expectations about the fast food market that make it impossible for anyone else to compete while simultaneously maintaining that McDonalds' products are devoid of quality is asinine in the extreme. If the latter is true how did they take such commanding control of the market? And if BK's products are made of such high quality ingredients, and are so nutritious, and they still cost the same why do people generally still favor McDonalds? They're clearly willing to try BK, so that would seem to suggest something else is going on.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This is a dumb non-sequitor.

Being about America is one of the basic functions of Captain America's character. It's like how Batman is a vigilante, or Superman is an alien saviour.

LGD posted:

McDonalds is not popular for popularity's sake, it is popular because it provides a product of a certain consistent quality at a low price. We're not comparing McDonalds to a small hole in the wall restaurant serving gourmet cuisine here, we're comparing it to a well funded competitor who has opened a competing franchise, advertised it heavily to exactly the same people who patronize McDonalds, and gotten huge numbers of them to try its products when they're introduced. The general consensus of people who have tried those products is that they meals are uneven and generally substantially less enjoyable than what McDonalds gives you. You may personally be a Burger King guy, but ranting about how McDonalds has set expectations about the fast food market that make it impossible for anyone else to compete while simultaneously maintaining that McDonalds' products are devoid of quality is asinine in the extreme. If the latter is true how did they take such commanding control of the market? And if BK's products are made of such high quality ingredients, and are so nutritious, and they still cost the same why do people generally still favor McDonalds? They're clearly willing to try BK, so that would seem to suggest something else is going on.

What's buried under the market place terminology is a simple appeal to popularity, and reduction of art into commodity.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 3, 2016

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

LGD posted:

This is super lame because it just keeps on going and still manages to say nothing about what makes the MCU good

mr. stefan posted:

This is also incredibly lame

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

They also aren't actively going to movies, either. Theater attendance has been dropping across the board for years, after all.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Ya.

I don't agree with that thing the guy said about everyone just being dumb, but a better comparison would be the wild success of like the Transformers films. Most people say those suck but their box office points to high quality if we're seriously using that as a metric. I can't really comment because I haven't seen them tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

• Locked thread