Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

New Red Alert looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Even I know that firing a round with no barrel is going to make a slow, inaccurate projectile that's going to barely scratch the paint on those tanks before they just roll over the top of whatever the hell that stupid thing is.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Gorilla Salad posted:

Even I know that firing a round with no barrel is going to make a slow, inaccurate projectile that's going to barely scratch the paint on those tanks before they just roll over the top of whatever the hell that stupid thing is.

How the media perceives the wars of tomorrow.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I like how there's no barrel for those bullets, so accuracy & range is total poo poo.
E:FB :argh:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
and the whole thing shoots out as a unit because that's how casings work.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
It would do more damage if it threw the shells at the tanks.

Hi, I'm currently having insomnia.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VendaGoat posted:

It would do more damage if it threw the shells at the tanks.

Hi, I'm currently having insomnia.

Hi

I am having a similar problem with that cheesy video and my sleep habits

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
Do yourself a favor and look up a couple Dahir Insaat videos, they all feature only the most innovative ideas of Russia's greatest geniuses!

The Video featuring that anti-tank abomination also gives us lawn dart style landmine/auto rocket turrets and soldiers impersonating civilians riding quad bikes designed to plant landmine/auto rocket turrets.

Or check out this retarded quad copter! A semi truck that transforms into a flying weapons platform!

Their other videos are more focused on really bad ideas for city planing like drive-in supermarkets or underground monorail delivery systems. Like someone was playing city skylines and thought they really had a handle on how things should really be going down.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Elsa posted:

and the whole thing shoots out as a unit because that's how casings work.

Maybe it's made by Aperture Science
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGPIQ72-2Vg

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Buckets posted:

Do yourself a favor and look up a couple Dahir Insaat videos, they all feature only the most innovative ideas of Russia's greatest geniuses!

The Video featuring that anti-tank abomination also gives us lawn dart style landmine/auto rocket turrets and soldiers impersonating civilians riding quad bikes designed to plant landmine/auto rocket turrets.

Or check out this retarded quad copter! A semi truck that transforms into a flying weapons platform!

Their other videos are more focused on really bad ideas for city planing like drive-in supermarkets or underground monorail delivery systems. Like someone was playing city skylines and thought they really had a handle on how things should really be going down.
This is a better place to watch them.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

This is how Bichon Frise are made.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Knormal posted:

This is how Pomeranians are made.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Oh hey, a chance to flaunt my expertise. This gif was made using a program called Golaem, which is very much the budget option when it comes to crowd simulation. If you ever want to see a live example of this, compare the two major battle scenes from the Dwayne Johnson Hercules film (look for the fully CG isometric shots specifically).

Bessi battle, done in massive (as also used in Battle of the Bastards): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImDFBG-L1o8&t=309s

Ressus battle, done in Golaem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh6HiVjSjDo&t=363s

Gif Source: https://vimeo.com/176129147

mobby_6kl posted:

It's hilarious and looks impressive until the people get hit, unfortunately. It's a shame that the Euphoria tech didn't seem to get much traction.

Most of the crowd software that you'd actually want to use for a big production has this capability too, it's just a pain to actually set it up and for the most part you can hide the jankiness rather than fix it thanks to the fact that it's a film and not a game.

Wasabi the J posted:

battleofthebastards_render1.avi

Battle of the Bastards was actually one of mine (as part of a three man team on the crowd simulation side) and I'm crazy proud of it.

Breakdown can be seen here: https://vimeo.com/172374044

Nickiepoo has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Aug 2, 2016

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nickiepoo posted:

Battle of the Bastards was actually one of mine (as part of a three man team on the crowd simulation side) and I'm crazy proud of it.

You should be. That stuff was done well and composited so seamlessly with the live shots. Easily some of the most exciting television a lot of people have seen in some time.

I used to be versed in 3D modelling and animation back in high school and college (Cinema4D mostly, some Maya) and I really regret not putting more effort into getting more education and skill to get hired into it.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I was the same until I read about being employed in the CGI industry. No thanks.

Underpaid, relocate to the city with the best taxbreaks etc. etc.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

You should be. That stuff was done well and composited so seamlessly with the live shots. Easily some of the most exciting television a lot of people have seen in some time.

I used to be versed in 3D modelling and animation back in high school and college (Cinema4D mostly, some Maya) and I really regret not putting more effort into getting more education and skill to get hired into it.

Thanks! Seeing the final result come out of compositing was definitely a hell yeah moment because I never really know how the final result is going to look after lighting, compositing and editing.

Don't regret too hard though, the US VFX industry is in a pretty bad state so unless you're based around LA (and could end up spending your life working on Nike adverts even then) you'd probably have to travel and still be stuck in insecure short-term contracts.

It's a lot of fun, and the results are great if you get put on the right projects but job security definitely suffers, and this is from someone with a niche skill.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I was the same until I read about being employed in the CGI industry. No thanks.

Underpaid, relocate to the city with the best taxbreaks etc. etc.

Yup. I'm lucky in being based in London, where there's still a healthy industry but I have no doubt I'll have to work in Canada at some point, and Battle of the Bastards had me relocating to Australia (not actually complaining on that one since it gave me three summers in a row).

Nickiepoo has a new favorite as of 10:42 on Aug 2, 2016

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You mean they sent you to ozone less poison thrush land in drought season.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Karate Bastard posted:

You mean they sent you to ozone less poison thrush land in drought season.

Makes a change from the miserable british winter!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nickiepoo posted:

Breakdown can be seen here: https://vimeo.com/172374044

I don't get the bit at 0:58 where it shows the internal layers of the horse, the skeleton and then the musculature. Surely you're not spending cycles on modeling those bits?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Phanatic posted:

I don't get the bit at 0:58 where it shows the internal layers of the horse, the skeleton and then the musculature. Surely you're not spending cycles on modeling those bits?

Depending on the texturing used they might actually render bone and muscle as a pre-pass like if they're doing something nutty with sub-surface lighting or translucency, but I think they're just showing off the simulation bits there.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Phanatic posted:

As suggested above it's purely for rigging so that you can get realistic skin/muscle movement out of a model that has to take up the entire screen while doing some pretty crazy motions.

I don't know why they're textured though, they might have just done that for the breakdown.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Buckets posted:

M.A.S.K. movie looking prrretty good.

Forti
May 5, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Realism is king. The Hulk rig used in the last pre-avengers Hulk film had fully fluid simulated blood running through his veins for any shots that had muscle closeups. It was insanely sick and the company responsible have long since gone bankrupt.
The vfx industry!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

M.A.S.K. movie looking prrretty good.

I loved those dumb toys when I was a kid. :allears:

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012
http://i.imgur.com/uRHN1JM.mp4

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Whatever this is I love it

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

When I become god emperor of the earth, all windmills will do cool poo poo like this.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

redweird posted:

Whatever this is I love it

It's Bird Up, The Worst Show on Television.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Gorilla Salad posted:

Not to mention recoil.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

John Big Booty posted:

Not to mention recoil.

Recoil come from the force of the bullet leaving the barrel, how can there be recoil if there's no barrel? :smugbert:

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
http://i.imgur.com/ZYfNPzf.gifv

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Can't tell if this is Zach Snyder or Michael Bay.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Really wanted that cart to make it

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Any Action Bronson Watched Ancient Aliens GIFs?

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5COAi6KM8o

Just noticed there's a second one on fire in the background.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Olympics opening ceremony rehearsal looking good.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Kennel posted:

Olympics opening ceremony rehearsal looking good.

http://i.imgur.com/exYvB1U.gifv
Olympic luxury village coming along too.