Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

It's amazing how much people have bought into talk radio narratives on the Clinton Foundation that the argument is "how much bad poo poo is this non-profit accused of doing without evidence" while ignoring all the good things it does.

if the clinton foundation really cared about its philanthropic work, it would have spent more time managing its brand online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tibeerius posted:

I love how Trump has turned the usual "VP = attack dog" conventional wisdom upside-down. Every quote I see from Pence these days is covering for his running mate.

I don't know what the opposite of "attack dog" is, but Mike Pence is it.

"Get the breastplate stretcher!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OhFunny posted:

Nah this isn't right. Her father said she wouldn't let herself be sexually harassed.

her brother said that. her father said this

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

iospace posted:

Fixed, but agreed. And largely as of late, it seems she's laying low. She doesn't do these giant rallies that Trump does. She does smaller ones, designed to be more personal.

Of course, Wikileaks is always around the corner, but Trump did a /fantastic/ job of poisoning that well to the point where any future leak against her will immediately be suspect.

I think it's a good strategy. The fact is that you can play to your strengths in this sort of contest as your opponent is too busy committing suicide for anyone else to notice. And the whole wikileaks thing, it seems to be pretty much bunkum (look at all the emails! That have nothing on them at all really... poo poo), I wouldn't worry too much about them. The real problem seems to be a lack of easy counter-narrative.

See, would it have been possible for Hillary to have started out (having gotten sanders on board etc) by clearly refuting every bad thing that the Republicans have said about her? Would it have been possible to print off a big long list and run through it?

Okay?

(are we trying to do replies in as small a space as possible, I do walls of text and cannot deal with this!)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fangz posted:

You know, given that Trump made his announcement that he had a 'secret plan for easily defeating ISIS' shortly after that. Who wants to bet this secret plan involves nukes?
When Trump said that, I 100% thought he was referring to nukes. That's the only way to immediately and completely take out an enemy.

The fallout (heh) is a completely different matter though.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Eric Trump says that strong women don't get sexually harassed. I guess Ivanka is not a strong woman.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/03/strong-powerful-women-dont-get-sexually-harassed-says-eric-trump/
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/eric-trump-ivanka-strong-sexually-harassed-article-1.2735361

SAD!

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If Pence wasn't such a huge bigoted piece of poo poo I might feel bad for him.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

fwiw the ivanka trump thing is about her getting cat called (which is sexual harassment, but not what the Trump bros probably think of when they think of sexual harrassment/akin to what Ailes did) and she doesn't call it getting sexually harrassed in the book period, so that article is a bit disingenuous.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/760854062757769217

!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

If Ivanka ever decided to run she might actually be pretty tough competition, though she'd have to keep her dad chained up in a gilded basement somewhere with no wi-fi.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

If Ivanka ever decided to run she might actually be pretty tough competition, though she'd have to keep her dad chained up in a gilded basement somewhere with no wi-fi.

Consider how much older, under all that greasepaint, the elder trump looks. I wouldn't be suprised of an actual heart attack if the republicans don't win.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Oxxidation posted:

So what Hillary did to Bill in the 08 primaries?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/emmaroller/status/760896820226715648

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

And I would lose some weight... I would, but I'm not.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Josef bugman posted:

I think it's a good strategy. The fact is that you can play to your strengths in this sort of contest as your opponent is too busy committing suicide for anyone else to notice. And the whole wikileaks thing, it seems to be pretty much bunkum (look at all the emails! That have nothing on them at all really... poo poo), I wouldn't worry too much about them. The real problem seems to be a lack of easy counter-narrative.

Assange has gone on record saying he has emails that'll get Hillary arrested (For real this time! THIS TIME IT'S FOR REAL!). And then Trump opened his mouth about Russia getting them.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The Manafort pivot to law and order in general was terrible from a strategy perspective and, even if Trump was moderately respectful, I think he still would fail with that as the central tenet of his candidacy. The law and order idea does a lot to rile the republican base, but the issue is that it raises his lack of credentials as an executor of that philsophy. He does nothing to project calm or the traditional strongman "im going to handle this". The reality is that, outside of the people that are begging to be ruled by the idea of white man politically as well as religiously (which is 30% of the country), people are scared of the lengths that Trump would go to to maintain law and order and he's not seen as a reliable caretaker of the country. You can't run someone with all-time candidacy unfavorables and an association with instability and fascism as a law and order candidate for the American people. It doesn't work for the branch of the Republican coalition they need (white, educated) to form a winning one.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

straight up brolic posted:

The Manafort pivot to law and order in general was terrible

True, but it gave us the guy at the DNC who listed a bunch of Trump failures and then said "That's not law and order, that's criminal intent!"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In the crib, by her dad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Manafort pivot to law and order in general was terrible from a strategy perspective and, even if Trump was moderately respectful, I think he still would fail with that as the central tenet of his candidacy. The law and order idea does a lot to rile the republican base, but the issue is that it raises his lack of credentials as an executor of that philsophy. He does nothing to project calm or the traditional strongman "im going to handle this". The reality is that, outside of the people that are begging to be ruled by the idea of white man politically as well as religiously (which is 30% of the country), people are scared of the lengths that Trump would go to to maintain law and order and he's not seen as a reliable caretaker of the country. You can't run someone with all-time candidacy unfavorables and an association with instability and fascism as a law and order candidate for the American people. It doesn't work for the branch of the Republican coalition they need (white, educated) to form a winning one.

I'm going to disagree here, if only slightly. It was a logical pivot. Trump has been promoting "safety" (or what he believes is safety) by saying immigrants (namely Mexican) are the cause of all our country's crime and Muslims the cause of all terror and we should keep them out. Black Lives Matter gave him the justification (in his mind) to take shots at African-Americans and support cops.

But I agree completely on the limited appeal of the message.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Eh, while it's absolutely true that catcalls from construction works still constitutes harassment, it is quite a different thing than what Ailes allegedly did, which is preying on a new potential hire, desperate for money, making her perform favors over an extended amount of time, forcing her to say and do things on video, then locking that video in a safe deposit box, telling her it's "so we have an understanding." What he did is straight up sexual torture. The question that was posed to Trump was specifically worded to ask what she would do if she was harassed in the same way as what Ailes is being accused of. I think that makes his and Eric's responses so much more horrific than how she handled this.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I haven't seen this posted, it seems like a good 'Trump is incompetent' rundown.

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/08/12/donald-trumps-business-failures-election-2016-486091.html

From early in the article:

Connecticut Governor Lowell Weicker Jr., whom Trump had praised in his testimony, responded by calling him a “dirtbag” and a bigot; Trump immediately changed his mind about the governor, proclaiming Weicker to be a “fat slob who couldn't get elected dog catcher in Connecticut.”

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

iospace posted:

Assange has gone on record saying he has emails that'll get Hillary arrested (For real this time! THIS TIME IT'S FOR REAL!). And then Trump opened his mouth about Russia getting them.

I think even without the Russia thing it wouldn't have gone too much further. Though tbf I am not sure of anything these days.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Arrgytehpirate posted:

If Pence wasn't such a huge bigoted piece of poo poo I might feel bad for him.

Yeah, Pence is getting the humiliating end to his political career that he deserves. Best part about this election is that for the first time in over a decade, Chances are really good that Pence will no longer be representing me at any level of government.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

e: er sorry, column 1 is favorable, 2 is unfavorable, 3 is spread if you're unfamiliar with RCP's tables.

imagine if Trump manages to win with these unfavorables 90 days out...lmao

Many of those polled were from before the height of the Khan thing too. Probably only going to get worse in the near future.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Josef bugman posted:

I think even without the Russia thing it wouldn't have gone too much further. Though tbf I am not sure of anything these days.

Possibly, if only because Wikileaks got exposed as seemingly the mouthpiece for Russian Intelligence, and the fact that they didn't care about any personal information in the DNC leak or the Turkey leak (that they ended up taking down).

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Ages posted:

Yeah, Pence is getting the humiliating end to his political career that he deserves. Best part about this election is that for the first time in over a decade, Chances are really good that Pence will no longer be representing me at any level of government.

Sup, east central Indiana brethren

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Antti posted:

No, unless you detonated it on a Mt Everest made of old tires or something.

So we need to not nuke the Trump Border Wall Mk2, I guess. :v:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Place hand here to get sick. Also to prove your dick is bigger than Trump's.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So if the sane Republicans jump ship and either leave the party or consent to work with Democrats, does that pull the Democratic party right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gregday posted:

Eh, while it's absolutely true that catcalls from construction works still constitutes harassment, it is quite a different thing than what Ailes allegedly did, which is preying on a new potential hire, desperate for money, making her perform favors over an extended amount of time, forcing her to say and do things on video, then locking that video in a safe deposit box, telling her it's "so we have an understanding." What he did is straight up sexual torture. The question that was posed to Trump was specifically worded to ask what she would do if she was harassed in the same way as what Ailes is being accused of. I think that makes his and Eric's responses so much more horrific than how she handled this.

Yeah but what Ailes did was probably sexual assault

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

So if the sane Republicans jump ship and either leave the party or consent to work with Democrats, does that pull the Democratic party right?

No?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

In so much as the Democrats would then be able to pass laws and those laws will be compromises with the platform and not the platform untouched, yes.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Moxie posted:

Defense tree

the scrolling hp bar is democracy

The one flaw in Trump's "don't give any specifics on anything" strategy is that eventually he does actually have to give specifics on anything, and when he does it's always 100% stupid and/or horrifying. See: straight-up fascism and nukesnukesnukes

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Has it before? Because, to be honest, the Republicans who work with them will just get fillited by the various groups in their own states that hate them.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I loving called it

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

fwiw the ivanka trump thing is about her getting cat called (which is sexual harassment, but not what the Trump bros probably think of when they think of sexual harrassment/akin to what Ailes did) and she doesn't call it getting sexually harrassed in the book period, so that article is a bit disingenuous.

they're talking about abusing a travel visa to work in another country, which is illegal immigration, but they never called it illegal immigration, so that article is a bit disingenuous
they're talking about a penis being nonconsensually thrust into another persons body, which is rape, but they never called it rape, so that article is a bit disingenuous
they're talking about getting stabbed repeatedly, which is murder, but they never called it murder, so that article is a bit disingenuous

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/guypbenson/status/760899936955138048

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think that the Republicans will try to force out Trump, who will then either sink the party or run a third party ticket.
I see the Democrats working with or even compromising on issues with any Republicans that will agree to work with them.

I unfortunately have no faith that the Democrats will take this historic opportunity to gently caress the Republican party, not unless Trump causes them to take the house and Senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

uninterrupted posted:

they're talking about abusing a travel visa to work in another country, which is illegal immigration, but they never called it illegal immigration, so that article is a bit disingenuous
they're talking about a penis being nonconsensually thrust into another persons body, which is rape, but they never called it rape, so that article is a bit disingenuous
they're talking about getting stabbed repeatedly, which is murder, but they never called it murder, so that article is a bit disingenuous
the difference between catcalling and the sexual abuse of ailes is not semantic

• Locked thread