Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hey Folks, how often should I water my sunflowers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
420 do H2O erryday.

Especially if you live in the south where the air has been replaced with the exhaust fumes of an active volcano. Sunflowers are usually pretty thirsty plants anyway, so watering them when you start to see their leaves droop would probably be every other day.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
A few of mine grew too leggy in the early starges and the stems snapped, I thought it was because of overwatering but I don't think I thinned them early enough. I just want some massive fuckin sunflowers.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

One of my pepper plants is absolutely covered in aphids. I drenched it in neem oil last night, but they still seem to be hanging about today. I'm assuming I'll probably need to do a few more heavy applications over the next few days/week and then infrequent applications throughout the season, but should I be concerned at all about over neem-oiling the thing? Will daily applications hurt the plant at all? I'm doing them at dusk to avoid leaf burn.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What about just squishing the things?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What about just squishing the things?

This is the most effective method in my experience. They like to congregate on new growth on my roses, but if I squash them early they tend to give up.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

This is the most effective method in my experience. They like to congregate on new growth on my roses, but if I squash them early they tend to give up.

I suppose that's an option. I didn't really even think about that. :downs: They're mostly chilling out on the new growth areas of mine as well, so I suppose I'll just have to gently brush them into my hand before squishing.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

We have a balcony at our apartment, so I'm growing a few plants and herbs!

I have a big container full of chives I grew from seed (and I replanted spring onion ends in the same container, they're growing too), a basil plant that we bought, a mint plant from a cutting at my parents' house that is growing ridiculously well, and the person who helped us moved let me have some succulent cuttings. I have some sedum which started flowering almost immediately, some hen & chicks and a couple of other ones I can't identify myself. I have them all in separate containers but I want to make a big arrangement of them. :3: They're so pretty.

And this is a picture I took before I planted any of them; I don't know what the bulbous ones in the upper left are, or the leafy ones near the lower middle.

I also have some aloe from 'cuttings' from my parents' many aloe plants, a fern I bought that died back before the move but has improved and grown dozens of new fronds since I started keeping it outside, and a tomato plant which is alive but struggling because we don't get as much sun as we'd like.

My fern was mildly root-bound from the beginning but I haven't been able to get a bigger pot/more potting soil for it yet. I'd like to keep it as a hanging plant but I'd have to separate it into 2 or 3 similarly sized ones containers if I wanted that. The new leaves that get more sunlight grow in as a really pretty reddish brown and gradually turn to the darker green.

I bought a java fern from craigslist and it grew really well in my aquarium! it's now at least 5 separate plants, these are 3 of them:

I'd really like to grow some pothos inside! Looks like I can get some from amazon or ebay.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
We have something similar to the bulbous thing in our garden, it's all from a little potted plant my wife got years ago. She stuck it in the yard, and it spread like wildfire. We've always called it pickle plant, but I think that might be something she made up on account of its appearance.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

My parents had this very common shrub with shiny roundish leaves that I see used in landscaping a lot but they always called it 'wedding bush' (I think they had cuttings of it in their wedding bouquets or something) and I have no idea what it actually is, so I understand :v: My dad also called the pokeberry plants a 'squish bush' and that's just so cute

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The Snoo posted:

And this is a picture I took before I planted any of them; I don't know what the bulbous ones in the upper left are, or the leafy ones near the lower middle.

The bulbous ones look like some more sedum, specifically burro tail. The leafy ones look like hen and chicks. Both are huge groups of plants, with many different varieties.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Im preparing to lay down a whole shitload of mulch, over an area that's been de-weeded but is starting to come back a little. I want to put down some kind of weed barrier to keep them out, but I also plan on planting stuff there - should I skip the barrier, or just put down a barrier and cut through it as I plant new stuff?

jackpot fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 4, 2016

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
You could just put down the barrier and plant through holes in it. However, it might be better to consider putting down a layer of cardboard instead of the weedblock under the mulch if you're going to be planting. Cardboard works just as effectively for at least a couple of years before it fully decomposes, but it has the added bonus of both soaking up water like a sponge to keep roots cool and moist, as well as being a worm magnet who will then poop delicious fertilizer all over your plants as they eat the cardboard. Not to mention you can usually get cardboard for free if you ask nicely at a local retailer.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
One thing to remember about weed barrier is that it won't stop weeds growing in the mulch on top of the weed barrier. It can also interfere with plants that spread from the ground, so keep that in mind if you're counting on a plant to fill an area. Then you need to plan for any plants that aren't showing when you put it down, like bulbs. For those, just cut an X in the sheet.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 4, 2016

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh don't use landscape fabric. I just pulled a bunch up in my yard because it was a weedy mess, and this pretty much echos how I feel about it after living with and removing it: http://northcoastgardening.com/2010/10/why-i-hate-landscape-fabric/

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Cardboard or several layers of newspaper is the cheapest and pro-est choice, gotta give me those sweet sweet nutrients (in a year or two)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
This is all great, thanks for the tips. I definitely like the idea of using cardboard/newspaper instead of something that never goes away.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Minenfeld! posted:

What's the best way to deal with little flying bugs on indoor plants? They're slow and easy to kill, but they keep coming back onto the mint plant.

Get a sticky carnivorous plant, like a sundew or a butterwort. They need bright light and low-mineral water, but are pretty easy otherwise. You can move them to a problem place for a day or two and then put them back in a bright window the rest of the time.

sporklift posted:

We have a collection of pitcher plants. This first one is 7 years old and about two and a half feet tall. Pretty cool it has lasted so long.

Some little guys. My wife takes them into the bar she works at to control the fruit flies but brings them home every few months to kinda rejuvenate them

They really thrive when they come home.

Those flower type things only show up every few years.

Those look pretty under-lit and under-watered. Mature Sarracenia should flower every year, and if they don't they're probably unhappy. I'd keep the pitcher plants sitting in a tray of water in full sun to see them growing to their fullest potential, and get some sundews and a desk lamp with a CFL for the bar. Sundews totally wreck fruit flies, and you can have the light on a cheap timer so it goes on in the morning and off before the rush so as not to spoil the ambience.

kid sinister posted:

I always thought it was hilarious that carnivorous plants flower. "Nah, little insects, this part won't eat you, honest!"

Carnivorous plants tend to bear their flowers on long stalks far away from the traps so they don't eat their pollinators. American pitcher plants often flower right out of dormancy before the first leaves have grown, so there are no traps at all. Later in the season though they eat pollinators all day.

By the way, a bit of news: I've been working at Predatory Plants since November, so I pretty much think about carnivorous plants 24/7 now. Also if you order plants from us, I will probably ship it. Let me know if you order something and I'll make sure to get you the plumpest sundews and most succulent flytraps.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kenning posted:

By the way, a bit of news: I've been working at Predatory Plants since November, so I pretty much think about carnivorous plants 24/7 now. Also if you order plants from us, I will probably ship it. Let me know if you order something and I'll make sure to get you the plumpest sundews and most succulent flytraps.

drat, I wish you'd mentioned this like 5 days ago!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Kenning posted:

Oooo that's really cool!

I have an Aerogarden and I was wondering if it would work well for growing carnivorous plants? It's quite bright and I could fill it with distilled water. I'm growing basil in it right now but It just grows way too fast.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Aero gardens are basically just lights, right? Because yeah, growing sundews and Nepenthes under lights is super fun. My girlfriend has a few plants at her office growing under a regular desk lamp with a CFL and a timer.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Kenning posted:

Aero gardens are basically just lights, right? Because yeah, growing sundews and Nepenthes under lights is super fun. My girlfriend has a few plants at her office growing under a regular desk lamp with a CFL and a timer.

Yeah they're just fancy little self contained hydroponics setups. As long as I used distilled water and appropriate fertilizer (very very little I assume?) they'd do well right?

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 16, 2016

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Honestly you'd do better using the light but not the hydro bit. Just a regular bit of carnivore soil under a light is your best bet. Otherwise, use the hydro but no fertilizer. Not sure how it will do, but should probably be fine. Start with a Drosera capensis.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Kenning posted:

Honestly you'd do better using the light but not the hydro bit. Just a regular bit of carnivore soil under a light is your best bet. Otherwise, use the hydro but no fertilizer. Not sure how it will do, but should probably be fine. Start with a Drosera capensis.

I think it'd be better for growing them from seed. What's a good place to get carnivorous plant seeds? It looks like you guys have a couple kinds but most are out of stock.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, we don't have much seed available because we use most of it for starting new stock. I do sell seed to hobbyists from my personal collection though. Email me at sundews.etc@gmail.com if you're interested, I've got some fun stuff right now.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I found these guys chilling on my miracle berry plant outside. Does anyone know what they are and if I should be concerned?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I need to put down some mulch in my flower beds, is there anything I need to know about mulch? Is there a problem with me just buying the cheapest bags Home Depot has?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tremors posted:

I found these guys chilling on my miracle berry plant outside. Does anyone know what they are and if I should be concerned?

Look like shield bugs of some variety. Try the critterquest thread in gbs, someone there should be able to tell you for sure.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

I need to put down some mulch in my flower beds, is there anything I need to know about mulch? Is there a problem with me just buying the cheapest bags Home Depot has?

Mulch is pretty straightforward, except for rubber mulch. You put it down mostly to make the ground prettier and somewhat to keep down weeds... for a short while. Given enough time, it will help amend you soil, then break down to nothing and will need to be replaced, so you put down more... Lather, rinse, repeat. Generally, the thicker to lay it down, the longer it will last, but then animals will dig through it looking for bugs. Then there's other weird situations like if there's a lot of flowing surface water it can float away.

Last thing: mulch can attract termites, so you might not want to put it down where it touches wood siding.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 2, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Holy crap, just wanted to pop in and say: For the first time in years, I actually managed to grow some carnivorous plants from seed.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I had serious issues with carnivorous plant seeds earlier this year, but I have a bunch coming up now. I think fungus gnat larvae were eating the seedlings' roots, because even my Drosera seedlings were dying and those should be easy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I had serious issues with carnivorous plant seeds earlier this year, but I have a bunch coming up now. I think fungus gnat larvae were eating the seedlings' roots, because even my Drosera seedlings were dying and those should be easy.

Yeah, I don't know what has happened in the past, but I've finally got a baby flytrap and a baby pitcher sprouting. Tiny little guys, but they are growing. Took forever for them to even appear to be anymore more than a small dot.

In normal plant news, our garden went NUTS, and we've got pumpkins coming out the walls, but we're fighting powdery mildew on them. I'm using copper solution and sulphur solution to try to stave off the mold till October. Here's hoping.

We're in Atlanta, so the heat + humidity has been bad this year, fortunately out of all of our plants it seems to be only the pumpkins that are getting mold.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 3, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's a fungus slowly killing my bushes. How do I deal with it?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've pulled up a bunch of turf putting down a patio, I've got 3 bulk bags and the soil that came up with the turf is fairly nice, I don't want to pay to dispose it so I was hoping to use it for a raised bed next year. What can I do to it to kill off the turf leaving me useful soil next year?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

I've pulled up a bunch of turf putting down a patio, I've got 3 bulk bags and the soil that came up with the turf is fairly nice, I don't want to pay to dispose it so I was hoping to use it for a raised bed next year. What can I do to it to kill off the turf leaving me useful soil next year?

So you have 3 bags of turf/sod? Pile it up, get it moist and cover with black plastic. Ideally chop up bigger chunks with a shovel and pile it so the grass is not exposed. Regular woven poly tarps will let light in that keeps the grass growing. Check on it once or twice to see if it needs more moisture. You're essentially composting the grass. PS we also have a gardening thread.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yup, and yes I suppose I am composting it. It's already piled upside down so I'll keep it moist and in the dark, thanks.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
For all of you carnivore lovers, I found this on Reddit:

https://m.imgur.com/a/dU5Zo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What are the chances that I'll be able to successfully transplant these volunteer cardinal flower rosettes in the spring? They're mixed with a Sarracenia. I'd love to leave them in there, but it would probably get very crowded.

http://imgur.com/a/mZUWA

All of my actual plantings were eaten by slugs.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

FCKGW posted:

There's a fungus slowly killing my bushes. How do I deal with it?

Looks like woolly aphids (not fungus). You can spray them. The plant is sick though, that's why it has aphids (not vice versa). Probably it needs more water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I haven't kept any potted plants before, but I'd like to have a few in my apartment. I have a mild pollen allergy, and my roommate has an insane pollen allergy- is it possible to just prune the buds of a perennial before they flower? Is that a thing people can do?