Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

Sakurai is a good game designer but sometimes I feel like he gets a bit full of himself in regards to how he reacts to people playing his games in a way he doesn't intend.

in regards to smash bros or something else too?
smash should probably just compromise and put a melee rules mode with no items in every version so the diehards buy in and shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like there's a Picture of Masahiro Sakurai situation going on

somewhere in a dusty attic there's a picture of an old man with gnarled hands that look like tree branches

Kojima is in the same picture I guess, he's apparently like fifty something somehow even though he looks like he's about 30.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they might just wear make up.
Sakurai picture on last page is disco glam as gently caress

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

smash should probably just compromise and put a melee rules mode with no items in every version so the diehards buy in and shut up

I mean in the most recent Smash game there's a mode that skins the Final Destination stage as different things so maybe they've kinda thought about it

Also much faster and less floaty than Brawl in general

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Playing a Sakurai feels very similar to me as like playing a Vlaada game, to use a board game comparison. Both are just really good at the "language" of game design. Like not every game of their's is my favorite but I am always impressed with "elegant" it feels or whatever.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Monkey Fracas posted:

I mean in the most recent Smash game there's a mode that skins the Final Destination stage as different things so maybe they've kinda thought about it

i don't think the weirdos will be happy until they bring back the game physics exploit stuff like wavedashing

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Mainly in regards to smash. Like, say what you will about competitive smash players, I think it is pretty lame to be like "well they play it wrong" so you add a mechanic solely to tick them off, and he was pretty mad that people were uploading the subspace emissary stuff to youtube because it was "meant" to be a reward for playing the game so he wasn't gonna bother with that kind of thing next go around. Despite being a guy who likes to tease his fans (like the gray fox assist trophy reveal or teasing them about ridley), he seems kind of...thin-skinned. I'm glad he seems to have calmed down with the most recent iteration of smash tho, and hopefully for the next version there'll be more interesting stuff because while smash 4 wasn't bad or anything, idk, I found it kind of...lacking, idk how to put it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

congratulations phoenix

https://twitter.com/MimigaVillage/status/760706582376247297

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
They should make a Meteos stage for Smash Brothers. Have blocks fall from the top, and when characters are standing on a block and use an up- or down-smash, it shifts the blocks under you.

drat, now I wish there was a Meteos 2. I devoured the first game and found the concept of accumulating elements to buy new stages (which were like characters in a fighting game) very addictive. I'd rather play a new entry in the series than dig out my old copy and delete the system memory so I can start fresh, but now I don't know if I can help myself.

There was a Disney version of Meteos, wasn't there? That seems like a crime.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

VideoGames posted:

Just played my first Overwatch game since the beta, was Mercy, and got 4 commendations at the end because no one on our team died :D Holy awesome!
enjoy being at the low end of matchmaking for however long that lasts

no i'm not bitter about matchmaking games, not a bit

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

They should make a Meteos stage for Smash Brothers. Have blocks fall from the top, and when characters are standing on a block and use an up- or down-smash, it shifts the blocks under you.

drat, now I wish there was a Meteos 2. I devoured the first game and found the concept of accumulating elements to buy new stages (which were like characters in a fighting game) very addictive. I'd rather play a new entry in the series than dig out my old copy and delete the system memory so I can start fresh, but now I don't know if I can help myself.

its not owned by nintendo they just published

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Pokémon Company published a (Japanese) song about the bestest pokémon.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Real hurthling! posted:

its not owned by nintendo they just published

They made a Final Fantasy VII stage, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. But yeah, like most armchair-game designer ideas, probably not going to happen.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CrashCat posted:

enjoy being at the low end of matchmaking for however long that lasts

no i'm not bitter about matchmaking games, not a bit

I sure am! :D We all suck together. Just played another couple of games and managed to get 8 commendations for healing 6000! I am having a ridiculous blast with it. Those loot boxes dropping after each level is a way better idea than paying money for them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

precision posted:

It's weird how in the past couple years the poles have flipped and now indie games are more predictable than AAA games.

e: which isn't to say they're bad games, but the subject matter is gettin stale
i'll talk about this for a little bit

The gigantic rise of indie games came from many genres being under-represented (or not represented at all) on the video gaming landscape. With any phenomenon you are going to have your me-toos and "oh there's money in it huh?" people. There are now a billion indie platformers but there was a time around 10 years ago when it felt like platformers were dead as a genre. When the concept of a 'story game' was The Path, and the only way to find point and click adventures was to go to Adventure Game Studios' forums.

Just the sheer deluge of indie games now is at such a higher rate, it reminds me of the 1990 era of PC gaming. You have your Monuments of Mars sure but you also have your Moraff's Pinball. Remember shareware CDs and how they'd boast about having OVER 1000 GAMES on them? That was that era's Humble Bundle. When I was a kid we had a shareware CD that had a virus on it and I kept stupidly loving up my computer because I kept wanting to play the one game on the CD that I really liked.

I think you take the good with the bad because for a while the top PC download sites were Happy Puppy (run by a bad person) and Home of the Underdogs where freeware, abandonware and piracy intermixed (not that I have a problem with piracy anymore). It's now so much easier to find the good stuff compared to when you either had to take a chance on poo poo or wait for a client like Tiggit to arrive (rip Tiggit).

The innovation will keep coming but it's always single thinkers that burst onto the scene and then others get inspired to do their own takes. That's how it always goes.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 3, 2016

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

LawfulWaffle posted:

There was also a version for Xbox Live Arcade years ago which was really weird, but Q-Entertainment owns the rights to the IP so I guess it made sense they could do whatever they wanted with the franchise.

The first release on the DS though was as Sakurai as you could get, right down to the reflective ending credits.

What's Q-Entertainment up to these days?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

There was also a version for Xbox Live Arcade years ago which was really weird, but Q-Entertainment owns the rights to the IP so I guess it made sense they could do whatever they wanted with the franchise.

The first release on the DS though was as Sakurai as you could get, right down to the reflective ending credits.

What's Q-Entertainment up to these days?

Porting Rez to VR IIRC. Or that's a different company

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

The smash community banned all omega mode stages in tournaments because people didn't wanna learn all the maps so now it's back to just final destination and battleground lol.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

In Training posted:

The smash community banned all omega mode stages in tournaments because people didn't wanna learn all the maps so now it's back to just final destination and battleground lol.

can we just, like, burn the pro smash community to the ground

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I hate FD, the background is way too noisy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They didn't want to learn flat box maps?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ciaphas posted:

can we just, like, burn the pro smash community to the ground

I feel like they do a pretty good job of that themselves.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the only reason Melee is still the best is because it will forever have the best stage, PokeFloats

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Anyone interested in game design should read every interview they can find with Shigeru Miyamoto. The way he talks about player experience and how games function in a fundamental way is fascinating. He has a lot of really interesting ideas about games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think most non broken people like Smash 4 better than Melee but idk

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

They didn't want to learn flat box maps?
All the Omega maps are a platform of the same size, but they're all different. You can't get under some, or others change how recovers work because of their shape, etc.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Quest For Glory II posted:

Just the sheer deluge of indie games now is at such a higher rate, it reminds me of the 1990 era of PC gaming. You have your Monuments of Mars sure but you also have your Moraff's Pinball. Remember shareware CDs and how they'd boast about having OVER 1000 GAMES on them? That was that era's Humble Bundle. When I was a kid we had a shareware CD that had a virus on it and I kept stupidly loving up my computer because I kept wanting to play the one game on the CD that I really liked.
good god Moraff, I swear I put in tons of hours in Moraff's lovely dungeon game not even realizing how much better alternatives there were

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Anyone interested in game design should read every interview they can find with Shigeru Miyamoto. The way he talks about player experience and how games function in a fundamental way is fascinating. He has a lot of really interesting ideas about games.

This is very true, and also the reason why Mario holds up so many years later. He gets it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I think most non broken people like Smash 4 better than Melee but idk

actually, Smash4 having Duck Hunt Dog and 8 player smash is a compelling argument...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't even know what regular smash is, because I just do 8 player where everyone is 300% damage and 2x capable of flying and then give everyone 99 stock.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CrashCat posted:

good god Moraff, I swear I put in tons of hours in Moraff's lovely dungeon game not even realizing how much better alternatives there were
Back in the 90s the only way to judge shareware was popularity because there wasn't like, a comprehensive indie gaming review scene back then. PCG/CGW only cared about the important titles.

How many people must have suffered through Ken's Labyrinth not knowing that DOOM existed... (actually that's not fair because DOOM shareware actually was sold in computer stores so it had a lot of visibility)

That's the other hosed up thing is that if you didn't have BBS access you sometimes had to buy shareware from a store that otherwise was meant to be given away for free.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm surprised that there isn't some blatant undertale knockoff on steam yet. I guess it's a bit too complex for people to just quickly me-too like they can with FNAF-likes or survival games or retro platformers

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm surprised that there isn't some blatant undertale knockoff on steam yet. I guess it's a bit too complex for people to just quickly me-too like they can with FNAF-likes or survival games or retro platformers

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/07/25/4th-wall-breaking-rpg-glitched-hero-knows-player-exists/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

there aren't literal knockoffs but I'd say princess remedy and anodyne have some small similarities

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Knuckle sandwich is coming out this year apparently, so.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

oh jesus christ

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

I always felt the same way about the lack of Persona knockoffs on PC. The only one I've seen is some indie game whose name I can't remember that replaces all the cool Japanese teens with bearded Seattle hipsters that totally aren't stand-ins for the developers, and it's been years since that was announced.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

I always felt the same way about the lack of Persona knockoffs on PC. The only one I've seen is some indie game whose name I can't remember that replaces all the cool Japanese teens with bearded Seattle hipsters that totally aren't stand-ins for the developers, and it's been years since that was announced.

Mind Zero.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There being more games like Undertale sounds a-OK to me

As long as they have a distinct tone or personality, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Persona is really not that big of a franchise in the first place to inspire knock-offs and it's much harder to pull off that style well than it is to make bad sprites in RPG Maker and call it a day.

• Locked thread