Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

its like trump they can't just shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think I'll just play the first game again and revel in the raw stupidity of an illluminati plot thread instead of something so clearly up it's own rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Human Revolution was as ridiculous as the first one so I imagine the new one will be too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Polygon spoke to the game’s executive art director Jonathan Jacques-Belletête during E3 2015, when new trailers for Mankind Divided engendered industry discomfort. He, like Vu, waved off criticisms as "completely ridiculous."

"It’s a form of art, the people outside don’t think it’s art; it’s just 'stupid games,'" he said. "We’re fighting against those people. And then when we’re dealing with serious subjects suddenly we’re treated as little kids that are just doing video games again."

STOP CRITICIZING OUR GAME, ITS ART

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Is this about that one concept art piece or something more substantial?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ken Levine joins Eidos Montreal

Who's at fault, really, the slavers or the slaves? Who's to say

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Palpek posted:

Is this about that one concept art piece or something more substantial?
the art statement was about their use of the phrase "mechanical apartheid" but today they've now come out and said that 'Aug Lives Matter' is not a BLM reference, it's a coincidence and they came up with it first. also see the bizarre "neutral take on segregation" statement above

like if you're gonna do something then fuckin own it, don't trip over yourself trying to half-rear end walk it back

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

its like trump they can't just shut up

i mean i get what theyre trying to say but their pr person clearly has no idea how to word things, which id think would be the primary requirement for being a pr person

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am so tired of these auguements

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

there aren't literal knockoffs but I'd say princess remedy and anodyne have some small similarities

Remedy definitely but only as far as being an rpg where the battles are shmups. Otherwise, totally different feel. Anodyne I thought was way before undertale tho and was more of an attempt to ape zelda

I'm talking like, blatant like http://store.steampowered.com/app/348020/ this is obviously a hotline miami thing, or the dozens of games that surfaced about sitting around watching security camera feeds while trying to survive the night after five nights at freddy's got popular

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

If video games are art, then I can criticize it as such :colbert:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stexils posted:

i mean i get what theyre trying to say but their pr person clearly has no idea how to word things, which id think would be the primary requirement for being a pr person
the way they word it makes it sound like they're going to prove both sides of loving segregation which would be Bioshock Infinite 2.0

i dont THINK they're that stupid but they are definitely head up rear end at the very least

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
What is the video game equivalent to Marcel Duchamp's "Fountain"? Or Andres Serrano's "Piss Christ"?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

like if you're gonna do something then fuckin own it, don't trip over yourself trying to half-rear end walk it back

Yeah, I feel like they'd at least be a little bit better off if they just said "we wanted to make something where we used current elements of prejudice and discrimination of minorities and applied it to the new future minority of mechanically augmented people" instead of trying to be coy or pretend they didn't notice

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stexils posted:

Isn't this a constant Eidos problem? I remember the Tomb Raider reboot had some really terrible PR spin come out before the game, basically because one of their dudes ran their mouth too much about dumb crap.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

What is the video game equivalent to Marcel Duchamp's "Fountain"? Or Andres Serrano's "Piss Christ"?

honestly the closest thing to fountain is probably star citizen

"it is a game because i say it is a game"

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Isn't this a constant Eidos problem? I remember the Tomb Raider reboot had some really terrible PR spin come out before the game, basically because one of their dudes ran their mouth too much about dumb crap.

yeah hopefully this a similar case

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

the way they word it makes it sound like they're going to prove both sides of loving segregation which would be Bioshock Infinite 2.0

i dont THINK they're that stupid but they are definitely head up rear end at the very least

Ah jeeze I hadn't even considered that

I hope they don't go down that route and that by being neutral they just mean they want to portray the discrimination as realistically as possible, since discrimination isn't always just the explicit stuff, but I doubt that's what they mean. Now I'm wondering what their point is by invoking stuff like BLM and apartheid if they're claiming to try to be neutral about it? Just a marketing stunt or what? I'm just not really sure what they mean when they want to approach a subject like that "neutrally" :\

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

PBS Newshour posted:

i am so tired of these auguements

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the idea of the people on top suddenly ending up on bottom because they could afford and got augs is a good one that they are idiotically expressing in the worst ways and its pretty funny

WHOSA GOOD BOY

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I can't believe that a Deus Ex game would use cobtemporary real-world groups and symbols for its story. I mean, what's next, making your plot be about Big Pharma at a time when health care is dominating modern politics? Using secessionist anti-government militias when literally hundreds of people are being killed by them across the country? Dedicating like a third of your game to a war between rival coffee chains when Starbucks are popping up on every street corner?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Ah jeeze I hadn't even considered that

I hope they don't go down that route and that by being neutral they just mean they want to portray the discrimination as realistically as possible, since discrimination isn't always just the explicit stuff, but I doubt that's what they mean. Now I'm wondering what their point is by invoking stuff like BLM and apartheid if they're claiming to try to be neutral about it? Just a marketing stunt or what? I'm just not really sure what they mean when they want to approach a subject like that "neutrally" :\

my guess is that first part is what they meant and the tasteless stuff is them just not realizing/understanding the actual connotations of what theyre saying and how they come off. admittedly this is my own impressions that theyre just dumb and don't know how to convey their intentions accurately

Guy Mann posted:

I can't believe that a Deus Ex game would use cobtemporary real-world groups and symbols for its story. I mean, what's next, making your plot be about Big Pharma at a time when health care is dominating modern politics? Using secessionist anti-government militias when literally hundreds of people are being killed by them across the country? Dedicating like a third of your game to a war between rival coffee chains when Starbucks are popping up on every street corner?

water is wet, guy mann is a dumbass

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

It's not about contemporary real-world groups though, they claim it's just a coincidence

they're not owning it so you can't make that argument

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

all it really means is that, like all video games that pretend to have moral choices, there'll be good guys and assholes on both sides of a conflict

good guy on desegregation side: keeping people in separate social caste is wrong!

bad guy on desegregation: kill all segregationists!

good guy on segregation: I want to keep the status quo and keep my family safe from civil unrest!

bad guy on segregation: augs are monsters!

video game plots are shallow, enjoy sneaking around as the funny-looking beardyman with sunglasses implanted in his loving face

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Guy Mann posted:

Lol at your attempt at making a funny post. Whose rereg are you anyway?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Remember that Human Revolution had Letitia in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He09JaBVZdE

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There is a 88% chance that there will be a line about Aug people using the restroom and maybe they should get their own.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LawfulWaffle posted:

What about The Treachery of Images? What videogame would have Ceci n'est pas un jeu vidéo written on its title screen?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

What about The Treachery of Images? What videogame would have Ceci n'est pas un jeu vidéo written on its title screen?

the stanley parable

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just want a video game that will make me feel the same emotions I feel when watching Chunking Express.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The most problematic part of "Augs Lives Matters" is how loving corny it is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Apparently I've got a key for something called LawBreakers? Should I be bothered??

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hopefully the game will have "Actually, All Lives Matter :smuggo:" NPCs that you can knock out and throw in a dumpster

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Mak0rz posted:

Desert Bus

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Apparently I've got a key for something called LawBreakers? Should I be bothered??

Do you want to play a not very good class based shooter with skill cooldowns from the man behind Gears of War?

Then no.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think it's because marketers don't actually play or make video games and try to just say whatever will sell the most copies.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hey about Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, I chose the JP voices by default but how's the English voicework?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't play video games to revel in allegories for current real world events, I play video games to get away from that poo poo. Dumb bullshit about "aug lives matter" should not be in deus ex or any video game because aping real world issues for your lovely video game world is corny at best, offensive at worst. Bioshock Infinite is the best example there has ever been of that. There is no good outcome from doing it besides "more people look at our video game and talk about it".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

There being more games like Undertale sounds a-OK to me

As long as they have a distinct tone or personality, of course

What I worry about is that the inevitable Undertale knock-offs will lack the wit and grace to make it actually work. Like, that game on Kickstarter where the protagonist becomes aware the player exists--so far, nothing about it has shown that it has Undertale's cleverness at all. They just made a game with Earthbound battle backgrounds and threw in a Talk command.

Then again, I'm already getting fatigued with games that are super "meta." I'd love to see more indie RPGs that don't try to do something "meta" or "fourth-wall breaking" and instead just tell a really good and interesting story, ideally while being fun to play. Give me a JRPG-styled game that doesn't fall into either the "save the world from <cosmic threat here>" or "we're breaking the fourth wall, so meta" categories, y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

They just made a game with Earthbound battle backgrounds and threw in a Talk command.

Sounds like Undertale to me.

• Locked thread