Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

loving Newt talking in double negatives and passive voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Come on Trump. Don't quit just yet!

(Hold out a another month to do real damage to the party and not leave enough time to find a replacement.)

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

the difference between catcalling and the sexual abuse of ailes is not semantic

tell us more about how catcalling isn't 'real' sexual harassment.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

uninterrupted posted:

I think the argument is more that Allies went far far beyond just harassmeno.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

uninterrupted posted:

quote:

fwiw the ivanka trump thing is about her getting cat called (which is sexual harassment, but not what the Trump bros probably think of when they think of sexual harrassment/akin to what Ailes did)

My words. Quit trying to start poo poo.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Wow, they shifted to straight-up trying to boot him pretty quickly.

Unfortunately it is Donald Trump and that will absolutely not work.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think Trump starting to endorse the primary opposition of party leaders sped that up a bit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Radish posted:

Come on Trump. Don't quit just yet!

(Hold out a another month to do real damage to the party and not leave enough time to find a replacement.)

I'm amazed by this view. If Trump quits at any point, it does real damage to the party. We'd probably see a 50 state sweep with Dems retaking the House and Senate.

It doesn't matter who they find to replace him, the election would be over if he actually quits or gets ousted somehow.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't think them finding someone now is not incredibly damaging. I just want maximum damage which I think would be having him continue to make stupid comments as the official candidate and then have the regular party flail around at the last minute to find someone stupid enough to run for a month and a half.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Read about how CU opened up US elections to foreign money

https://mobile.twitter.com/OrrChris/status/760898610959683584

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

No, don't drop out Trump. keep doing what you are doing.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Read about how CU opened up US elections to foreign money

https://mobile.twitter.com/OrrChris/status/760898610959683584

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/760889321029242881

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I want Trump to hang on for another month or two and then drop out for maximum damage to the GOP

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Isn't that like an organized crime thing?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trump's ego will never allow him to quit.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Night10194 posted:

It's a gift.

For his daughter's wedding.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

And to think they couldn't even bring themselves to congratulate a Hall of Famer who won his party's nomination just last month.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Night10194 posted:

Red Packets are for lucky money! But this ain't the new year.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
1) Trump's not dropping out/getting forced out, that's just silly

2) Trump Taj Mahal is closing its doors

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Pence endorsed Ryan.

It's all falling apart, but just too late to do anything. Though this election is full of surprises...

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Trump isn't going to quit the race. He's going to continue pumping this idea that the election is being stolen from him by some vast conspiracy of DC insiders and the media (look at his Twitter and how much he's talked about CNN and NYTimes not covering him fairly recently). That way when he loses he can say it was the forces conspiring against him and he totally would have won otherwise.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

this footage of trump rallies is fairly terrifying

http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/pol...WT.nav=top-news

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is an investigative reporters wet dream, second only to secret midnight meetings with shadowy sources clutching attache cases in government parking lots.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Night10194 posted:

No that's a "business as usual in China" thing

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the Nehlen guy is on MSNBC right now yelling at the anchor

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

straight up brolic posted:

this footage of trump rallies is fairly terrifying

http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/pol...WT.nav=top-news

This is the real footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-gSJW3sHXE

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I did a bad job of parsing my question. Let me try again.
I think that as party leaders attack Trump, the tea party base will double down on their support for Trump, and that this will cause a serious split or possible destruction of the party. I see the Republican Congress splitting between the lunatics and the establishment Republicans who are willing to govern.

If the Republicans commit suicide, I wish the Democrats response would be to say "gently caress you" to the survivors, but I'm afraid they will instead try to work with whoever is left.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

I think that as party leaders attack Trump, the tea party base will double down on their support for Trump, and that this will cause a serious split or possible destruction of the party. I see the Republican Congress splitting between the lunatics and the establishment Republicans who are willing to govern.

If the Republicans commit suicide, I wish the Democrats response would be to say "gently caress you" to the survivors, but I'm afraid they will instead try to work with whoever is left.

Repub Congress is already split that way, the House Freedom Caucus refuses to govern and the Speaker of the House is powerless to corral them

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

emdash posted:

Repub Congress is already split that way, the House Freedom Caucus refuses to govern and the Speaker of the House is powerless to corral them

You'd feel kinda bad for them if you didn't realize they were complete shitheels. I pray they fracture finally it's been long overdue.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So I keep hearing about these Iranian "hostages" - were they innocent and we traded known spies for them, or were they probably guilty as poo poo and rightfully arrested?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Trump's ring finger is barely longer than his index. Low T and :sad:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I love how the GOPe was ok with looking the other way and weakly equivocating about supporting the nominee while Trump insulted women, minorities, veterans, babies, basically everyone in sight. But when he won't endorse Paul Ryan's reelection bid? Oh hell no, that's a bridge too loving far!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

holy poo poo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The GOP has three major blocs right now:

1. The Rich, FYGM elite. Really don't seem to care much as long as they get taxed less, yet want more military spending because it usually flows back to their pockets (Romney).
2. The Tea Partiers, or "Freedom Caucus". Usually bigoted, and usually shitheels who have no clue how to actually run a government (Vaping dude).
3. Evangelicals. Drives the anti-LGBTQ and pro-Christianity, anti-Muslim portions of the party (Huckabee).

Trump's support comes primarily from #2. This portion was courted with Nixon, and really became active when Obama got elected (you can guess why). Trump is likely to be the climax of this bloc, but that remains to be seen.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

holy poo poo, imagine not taking the money

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

If it means getting bills through and avoiding stuff like the government shutdown bullshit, I'm pretty happy with the dems working with establishment republicans. The republican stranglehold over the congress was powerful specifically due to their ultra-enforcement of party loyalty.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BobTheJanitor posted:

I love how the GOPe was ok with looking the other way and weakly equivocating about supporting the nominee while Trump insulted women, minorities, veterans, babies, basically everyone in sight. But when he won't endorse Paul Ryan's reelection bid? Oh hell no, that's a bridge too loving far!

The GOP have consistently shown that they care more about keeping their jobs than actually doing their jobs, so the only thing that could possibly rattle them was the thought of perhaps not being in power.

Hence the sudden realization that oops, Trump isn't a idiotic Bush-esque puppet but an uncontrollable Hitler-esque lunatic and the sudden desperate lunge to get rid of him that's far, far too late.

It's interesting that Trump waited until his nomination was set in stone before unleashing the crazy, I'd call it clever if I thought he did any of it on purpose.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
More ties to Russia.

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/760838261128458240

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So will last weeks DNC Convention go down as the most impactful of all time? Because it may have actually killed Trumps campaign and possibly the Republican Party as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

Well they're all self-serving little fucks, so yes, they'll support him as long as he doesn't openly hurt their chances of getting re-elected.

• Locked thread