Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
gently caress Golf in the Olympics the crooks and nazis that run the IOC make FIFA look like the Girl Scouts of America. It's not even a "team" event either just basically the Rio Open brought to you by the Zikka Virus!

I hope some tiny country like Thailand wins (BarnRat and Ariya).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

gently caress Golf in the Olympics the crooks and nazis that run the IOC make FIFA look like the Girl Scouts of America. It's not even a "team" event either just basically the Rio Open brought to you by the Zikka Virus!

I hope some tiny country like Thailand wins (BarnRat and Ariya).
I would also be up for no pool because what a shitshow, literally.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My Vapor Fly Pro showed up but it's been raining and thundering all evening, I was tempted to go to the course despite this but managed to talk some sense into myself. I did hit about 20 balls in front of my house though. Member-Guest tourney is this weekend and I really want to get comfortable with the new head first.

I'm kind of dreading the Calcutta on Friday evening. I'm hoping that since the team is in my name this year instead of my boss, people won't recognize that we won our flight last year and let us get off cheap again. We've been bumped up a flight this year and there are 24 teams in it so our odds won't be great regardless. It doesn't help that my boss was in a league last year and isn't this year, and has only played a handful of rounds so far. I am playing a bit better currently compared to a year ago and am also more comfortable at this course since I'm a member now so maybe it'll balance out.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Josh Lyman posted:

I would also be up for no pool because what a shitshow, literally.

Hmm. Yeah. I didn't realize it was basically a regular tournament. Yawn. When is Ryder Cup.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

Hmm. Yeah. I didn't realize it was basically a regular tournament. Yawn. When is Ryder Cup.
Yeah, I always assumed it would be team match play, but no, it's just a blatant cash grab.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Japan in 4 years might be okay but they've got to do it as 2 person team events or even men/women combo teams or something besides a 72 hole individual event for men/women. Or I think the best idea bouncing around GolfWRX was to just copy the NCAA format.

#IMWITHRORY

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

Japan in 4 years might be okay but they've got to do it as 2 person team events or even men/women combo teams or something besides a 72 hole individual event for men/women. Or I think the best idea bouncing around GolfWRX was to just copy the NCAA format.

#IMWITHRORY
Adam Scott was the first to pull out :australia:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

just copy the NCAA format.

That's what I was hoping for tbh.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It should have a skills contest section like old-school figure skating, and then you get judged on the club twirl/zombie walk after your follow-through.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Longest drive competition at the games. No drug testing. And non conforming clubs allowed. :rms:

I'd love to see 2 or 3 big golf companies in a crazy arms race to build a gimmicky longest driver. :homebrew:

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 2, 2016

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

dangling pointer posted:

Longest drive competition at the games. No drug testing. And non conforming clubs allowed. :rms:

I'd love to see 2 or 3 big golf companies in a crazy arms race to build a gimmicky longest driver. :homebrew:

Speaking of which, my fitter has a competitive long driver that he fits as well, and the dude put up 393 yard shot today.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

EnsGDT posted:

Speaking of which, my fitter has a competitive long driver that he fits as well, and the dude put up 393 yard shot today.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

:eyepop:

You guys know anyone personally that got into long drive competitions? How do they get into it, start take lessons from someone that is also into it? I'm guessing their technique is different than what you'd do for a normal drive. I can't imagine how you get the club moving fast enough to get anywhere near that yardage.

e: Answered my own question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_GLBg74Ckw

Halo14 posted:

Mate used to own one of these, sounded like hitting the ball with a coke can.

Since you said that it looks like it would sound like a Coke can. Fits the design perfectly.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 2, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

dangling pointer posted:

:eyepop:

You guys know anyone personally that got into long drive competitions? How do they get into it, start take lessons from someone that is also into it? I'm guessing their technique is different than what you'd do for a normal drive. I can't imagine how you get the club moving fast enough to get anywhere near that yardage.

e: Answered my own question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_GLBg74Ckw

Since you said that it looks like it would sound like a Coke can. Fits the design perfectly.

I participated in a ReMax Long Drive local qualifier a couple years ago here in Charlotte at a local range. They were the only range around that could support the length because their range is like 400 yards normally, but they even built a small tee platform another 100 yards back over the chipping green to hit from. From what I could gather most of the people were just doing it for fun, like me, and a couple guys took it a bit more serious having like 4-5 drivers in a bag of varying specs. Not sure why that was their thing though or why they got into it. I think the dude that one blasted a drive 395 or something, but it was like his best ever, don't think he got even close in the regional.

Just watching guys on tv in these comps some of them have clearly unorthodox swings, some are great swings etc. I myself can get a club head speed up to 125ish if I change my swing path more vertical, it doesn't work for every day golf as it's about a 4 in 5 straight block to the left, but if I throw my arms into it and rotate everything in proper sync for the speed the results can be pretty nice. If you look at like Sadlowski the dude is very vertical and long with his back swing, his driver for long drive is like 6" longer than the one he games normally.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 2, 2016

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I can also get my swing speed up over 120 when I'm messing around and trying to swing as hard as I can. I rotate more on my backswing. When I start my swing/rotation I'm rotating my torso faster, dropping the club while keeping my wrists locked backed as Long as I can (think the end of the shaft pointing at the ball in my downswing). It lets me really load the shaft. Then will really use my arms to muscle the club around while my torso is still rotating, snapping the club around. About %85 of the time I do this the club face will be completely open resulting in a HUGE slice. I don't know why but when I do manage to get ahold of one this way straight I'll end way off balance and have to step out of my swing when I finish or I'll fall over. I have a lesson in a couple weeks and he has a nice camera for slow motion replay of your swing. I'll see if we have time to record a few swings of me trying to kill the ball. I'll post it here so you guys can laugh if I do.

That probably didn't make any sense. Basically I use my arms to add that extra power.

Semi-related: People in my group have commented on my normal swing on the teebox saying it looks violent or that I'm going to throw my back out and have to play from the senior tees in a few years lol. It's normally when I tee off with my 3W because I'm more confident with that club and can control it much better while swinging it harder than my driver. It's nearly as long as my driver if I try. I kind of want to get one of those 3 deep woods when I'm ready to replace my driver.

I'm normally the longest hitter when I play in a group. Which means I'm also the guy that without fail will go up to the teebox, wait because I'm worried I'll hit into the group ahead even though everyone says I'm fine. After waiting I'll hit a worm burner a whole 100 yards. :negative:

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 2, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIgepINDvYs/

GOLFER FIGHT :munch:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LOL the loving handshake at the end

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah that owned

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I've read too many of the various "Post the craziest poo poo you've seen on the course!" threads for my own good, I'd always be afraid somebody will be carrying a gun or go apeshit on me with their 3 iron if I mouth off to them or get pissed at them hitting into me or whatever.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
These vapor fly discounts are really rude to us lefties :smith:

I don't have a fairway wood and I've been wanting to try to add one.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Took my new Fly Pro to the range this afternoon and then played in the evening, I'm liking it so far but it's not exactly a huge difference from my Vapor Pro. We've gotten ~2.5 inches of rain in the last eight days and the course is a lot softer but my driving distance was still pretty solid.

My last shot of the evening was the 190 yard ninth hole, I hit a 5i that landed just short of the green, bounced once and then spun left towards the cup...

My search for an ace goes on...

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

The course I play most often. I tried to get out there today, but played Fox Hollow instead.

That's the 18th fairway, by the green. The commentary says the group behind hit into the group ahead. What assholes, the big fat guy in blue was being an rear end, too.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Just got home from my first men's night at the course. Shot 95 with 2 8's, both on par 4's, birdied the second hardest hole on the course (twice! since we played it again after 18 and had some time to kill), then won the 50/50 draw to the many curses from my dad and his friends. $49 richer and tied my best round of the year, totally worth playing in 34 degree weather (40 after humidity). :toot:

One of my dads friends has he weirdest swing Ive ever seen though. He has his legs like 3 feet apart and goes up on his toes when he swings, but the guy drives it 300+ down the middle every drat time.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Suprfli6 posted:

Took my new Fly Pro to the range this afternoon and then played in the evening, I'm liking it so far but it's not exactly a huge difference from my Vapor Pro. We've gotten ~2.5 inches of rain in the last eight days and the course is a lot softer but my driving distance was still pretty solid.

My last shot of the evening was the 190 yard ninth hole, I hit a 5i that landed just short of the green, bounced once and then spun left towards the cup...

My search for an ace goes on...

Yeah, most of the reviews I've read say that Vapor Fly line is basically a side-grade to the Vapor line. I think they tried to lower the CG a bit or something. It actually doesn't seem much different than the Covert 2.0 either, but hey what do I know

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

It did feel nicer when I had low-heel strikes which was good, and I came as close to driving one of the par 4 greens as I ever have so that's a good sign. That's using the same shaft I've had for a few years, I'm having the one that came with it chopped down half an inch and regripped tomorrow so I'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

I was really glad I could actually aim at pins again instead of having to land everything way short since the fairways and greens have been like concrete for months. Took a few holes to adjust but I ended up having more good birdie chances than I have in a long time.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

http://deadspin.com/golf-at-the-olympics-will-be-played-in-a-goddamn-zoo-1784734901

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Stay safe capybaras :ohdear: :3:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/JasonSobelESPN/status/760860752760766464?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

lmao

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

And that, my friends, is why I'm not making a golf thread for the Olympics subforum.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Fuckin lol

It's a shame the vote on whether to keep golf in the Olympics happens in two years because I have a feeling they'll scrap it even if four years from now they get better attendance and a more Olympic format.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Josh Lyman posted:

And that, my friends, is why I'm not making a golf thread for the Olympics subforum.

I mean it's the easiest OP you can ask for, just have it be that tweet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jovial Cow posted:

I mean it's the easiest OP you can ask for, just have it be that tweet.

On it :toot:

E: it's up

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 3, 2016

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I hope the Presidents Cup OP includes a tutorial about how to charge "your loving phone".

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sarehu posted:

I hope the Presidents Cup OP includes a tutorial about how to charge "your loving phone".

You mean the Ryder Cup but it's ok, they're basically the same event. :ughh:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There won't be a Ryder Cup thread because barely anyone watches.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

You mean the Presidents Cup but it's ok, they're basically the same event. :ughh:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

PETA asked Beef to change his nickname to "Tofu," he declined...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

PETA asked Beef to change his nickname to "Tofu," he declined...

no way :stare:

is that real

please be real

E: IT'S REAL :laffo:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

That wedge is loving incredible.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Shrapnig posted:

You mean the Ryder Cup but it's ok, they're basically the same event. :ughh:

Oh poo poo. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Get out of are country. :911: