Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I was planning on getting a wig and glasses and trying to pass off as her, but that works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Jeoh posted:

Only Korea has four seasons.

late, but :golfclap:

The Flying Monk
Aug 2, 2013
Hi China goons, I've been living in Shanghai for about 6ish weeks now. I'm sort of mostly settled inhere now. Does anyone have any recommendations of things I should do or see while 'me here?
Preferably something that's indoors with an industrial scale air conditioning given the current weather.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hello, do you mean you're in Shanghai now?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Cool do you have wechat and how long will you be in town? Oh and have you set up alipay and taobao? Car hailing services and paying everything from utilities to grocery bills through alipay makes life so much easier

I like the few breweries like boxing cat and shanghai brewery company.

Or better yet get the gently caress out of Shanghai and get a cheap plane ticket from spring airlines and fly to Japan. Well you will still be hot I guess.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
More importantly, what district of Shanghai are you in? If you're in deep Minhang or Fengxian or something it'll make sightseeing harder. I've been living here for a hilariously long time and probably know some boring places

Oh also if you have an iPhone there's a great ExploreMetro app for Shanghai that makes getting around way easier

The Flying Monk
Aug 2, 2013
Ok, so I like in Changning. near West Yan'an Rd. I moved here for work so I plan to be here for at least the next year or three.

WeChat and Alipay, I have WeChat, look for 'Daniel Hoogland' and you should find me(I have no idea how else this thing works). I don't have AliPay setup yest since I'vemostly been using cash so far. Hopefully in I'll have this sorted out soons I can order a bunch of dumb cheep poo poo from Taobao.
Unfortunately, I was sort of broke when I got here(And it looks like work will get busy soon), so I can't really leave the city, or the country until next year.
Boxing Cat and Shanghai Brewery. Way ahead of you there.
Just installed the ExploreMetro app. It should make my weekend aimless weekend wandering around times slightly more better and guided, thanks.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
This has probably been asked like a billion times, but what's a good VPN for China lately? I used Astrill before but I heard they turned to garbage after the gov cut off the VPNs for a while. G20 is coming up anyway. I read that Express VPN is HK and Mainland based and they can see what you're doing on it. Should I stick with Astrill or throw money somewhere else?

EDIT: LOL, last page.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Haier u r a hero to China goons

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Hey, do you tip cab drivers or hotel valets in hong kong? I'm not used to this weird half-china/half-british thing.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Tipping anyone in Hong Kong is literally illegal.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

P much, there is a hotel bar I used to tip at but I was on first name terms with the bartender before he left. The hotel felt really American too, so that probably helped.

Otherwise, if they wanted you to tip, they'd do it through a 10% service charge (they usually do)
If there's no service charge and it's a decent food or drink place you can consider adding that 10% yourself but menu prices were probably inflated to match so you don't really have to.

Basically don't tip, you'll be fine, nobody will care, also if you're a tourist you will never see any of them again.

Baddog I am in HK, when do you leave? Let's grab a beer

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Haier posted:

This has probably been asked like a billion times, but what's a good VPN for China lately? I used Astrill before but I heard they turned to garbage after the gov cut off the VPNs for a while. G20 is coming up anyway. I read that Express VPN is HK and Mainland based and they can see what you're doing on it. Should I stick with Astrill or throw money somewhere else?

EDIT: LOL, last page.

They're all bad now and the government is probably reading all your stuff anyway, but people are really down on Astril now for not working most of the time. Other stuff like Express is also super sketch at the moment.

Basically it's kind of a crapshoot now so just pick whatever is cheaper I guess and hope it works!!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

simplefish posted:

P much, there is a hotel bar I used to tip at but I was on first name terms with the bartender before he left. The hotel felt really American too, so that probably helped.

Otherwise, if they wanted you to tip, they'd do it through a 10% service charge (they usually do)
If there's no service charge and it's a decent food or drink place you can consider adding that 10% yourself but menu prices were probably inflated to match so you don't really have to.

Basically don't tip, you'll be fine, nobody will care, also if you're a tourist you will never see any of them again.

Thanks for the offer man, haven't got there yet and I'm kinda passing through pretty quick en-route to changsha with wife and kid, or I'd take you up on it. Maybe on the way back in a few weeks!

Anyone in changsha these days?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Baddog posted:

Thanks for the offer man, haven't got there yet and I'm kinda passing through pretty quick en-route to changsha with wife and kid, or I'd take you up on it. Maybe on the way back in a few weeks!

yeah creepy losers chasing their internet girlfriends

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just got Vypr to try out, not impressed so far but I'll post a trip report before the free trial ends.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Looks petty good for spending 10 days in changsha.

If you all get a free month for referring someone to express vpn (even if I cancel after a month?), I'll go with that instead of vypr this time. Someone give me their code?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I just got Vypr to try out, not impressed so far but I'll post a trip report before the free trial ends.

Vypr didn't work for me in China, but they did refund me.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

simplefish posted:

We must go to TAP or bag some 759 drinkable brews!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

hong kong divorce lunch posted:

We must go to TAP or bag some 759 drinkable brews!

Yeah, whatsapp me, we'll do it soon!

Baddog posted:

No worries, see how it goes and let me know!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jeoh posted:

Vypr didn't work for me in China, but they did refund me.

It's not very fast and seems to have some issues connecting. Which isn't any worse than Express, to be fair. Seems to be working a bit better right now.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Magna Kaser posted:

They're all bad now and the government is probably reading all your stuff anyway, but people are really down on Astril now for not working most of the time. Other stuff like Express is also super sketch at the moment.

Basically it's kind of a crapshoot now so just pick whatever is cheaper I guess and hope it works!!

Dang. I guess I might have to go with Express. I don't care about anything working on my phone, only on my notebook. I know some people choose the other way around.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not very fast and seems to have some issues connecting. Which isn't any worse than Express, to be fair. Seems to be working a bit better right now.

LOL. Thanks for the information.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They took a giant wet poo poo on VPNs in March and none of them have worked that well since. Day two of Vypr and I'd say it's roughly the same as Express, maybe a little better. In both connecting to US servers is a fool's errand but I've found European ones work fairly well. I'll probably keep it.

Vypr's doing a 25% off thing right now with this link. https://www.goldenfrog.biz/vyprvpn/olympics-vpn?offer_id=166&aff_id=1497&processed=1

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Grand Fromage posted:

They took a giant wet poo poo on VPNs in March and none of them have worked that well since. Day two of Vypr and I'd say it's roughly the same as Express, maybe a little better. In both connecting to US servers is a fool's errand but I've found European ones work fairly well. I'll probably keep it.

Vypr's doing a 25% off thing right now with this link. https://www.goldenfrog.biz/vyprvpn/olympics-vpn?offer_id=166&aff_id=1497&processed=1

I had good luck with ExpressVPN while I was there in May but it wasn't perfect. Did the trick for being able to get my email and Facebook though. Connected at decent speeds to HK, Japan and LA.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

SB35 posted:

I had good luck with ExpressVPN while I was there in May but it wasn't perfect. Did the trick for being able to get my email and Facebook though. Connected at decent speeds to HK, Japan and LA.

I found Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan the fastest, with Australia (Perth) reliable too. But vypr has nice inbuilt ping checks, and expressvpn has a sweet Linux client, which is really useful for a home gateway box.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Is Hong Kong OK after the typhoon? Is it still there?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol this year is ranking pretty poorly for typhoon quantity and quality.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

peanut posted:

Lol this year is ranking pretty poorly for typhoon quantity and quality.

much like your posting

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

That's good news. Thanks. I really just need it for gmail, facebook, and youtube because those are about 90% of how I connect to the world outside of China. I just have a feeling that once that September G20 comes we're all going to be screwed again like earlier. I guess I will try Vyprrpr and if it blows later then I will try Express and then kill myself.

Jeoh posted:

much like your posting
I forgot about this classic response and I had an actual L-O-L.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Radiohead71 posted:

It's gone.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Radiohead71 posted:

People didn't really die in Philippines so it's pretty tame.

It's sad but death toll of other countries is a pretty good heads up

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sempai noticed me (*´ω`*)

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Is Sanya a decent beach town to visit, or am I going to regret going there?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
No.

Especially when you have traveled along South east Asia.

Honestly nowadays even Chinese people don't really go there unless they have a second summer home there.

You are better off going to Thailand and elsewhere. Better yet the Philippines.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Is Sanya a decent beach town to visit, or am I going to regret going there?

It's pretty awful. Crowded beaches, overpriced hotels, lovely "local" seafood that's guaranteed to give you diarrhea, horrible service, loads of tour groups. It's expensive as traditionally it was where all the party hacks would go on vacation at somebody else's expense. Go anywhere else in southeast Asia, ideally somewhere where it's difficult for tour groups to get a visa to.

I went diving there, and the instructors were breaking coral off the reefs as souvenirs for their customers, and encouraging them to grab the reefs to pose for photographers. My instructor refused to let me see the air gauge, and at the end of the dive proudly told me that the tank was empty, so I got good value for money. Bunch of dangerous clowns.

The small island we visited had no toilet, so you ventured inland to a grotto of trees festooned in rubbish and poo poo smeared toilet paper dangling from tree branches.

Each tour group set up loudspeakers to mark their territory on the beach and insisted on party games, including singing.

I'd avoid Sanya.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Well ,we are currently in Xi'an after spending 4 days each in Beijing and Shanghai. We leave out of Hong Kong on the 15th and would like to spend 2-3 days somewhere relaxing, with less smog,where we could relax. While XI'an is pretty nice, after four days in Beijing we are beat down from the heat and the crowds. We are already spending 2 full days in Hong Kong before our flight.

Thailand is kind of our of range for us, but Sanya was relatively close for a beach town. Also considering going to Seoul (random and also smoggy, I know) to just chill out a bit at bars, etc. I have never been to S. Korea and it seems like a nice chance to visit.

Any suggestions from those who have traveled a lot in this area?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Also considering going to Seoul (random and also smoggy, I know) to just chill out a bit at bars, etc. I have never been to S. Korea and it seems like a nice chance to visit.

seoul's not really THAT smoggy, but if you like getting shitface drunk it's a great spot

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you're looking for beach town and already considering Korea, go to Busan instead of Seoul. Not polluted much at all in the southeast of the country and that's where the lazy beach life is. You will want to avoid the famous ones like Haeundae unless you like being with 50000000 other people but there are more isolated and uncrowded beaches all around there.

E: And yeah a bad smog day in Seoul would be on the good side for most Chinese cities.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I think what absolutely killed me with Beijing was that I had so many activities on my to do list in the 3-4 days that I was there that I just burned myself out. After spending a full day in the palace museum with 900,000 other oblivious Chinese tourists in 95 degree direct sunlight I was ready to snap. If I head to Seoul I can stay at a nice hotel, sit at the pool and wander the city's markets and bars at will. I don't necessarily have a lot on the "to do" list. I am familiar with the city, but not like the sites in Beijing.

Regardless though, I am assuming you guys would recommend 2 full days in Seoul versus Sanya?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Where is your next destination afterwards?

If you just want to bum around the hotel and hotel pool there's like a bajillion places to choose and other cities. If you fly to Sanya you might as well spend to a south East Asian beach town and 5 star resort and do gently caress all.

Price wise Korean and Sanya aren't that great of a value as a beach resort unless you really have to be there or want to do other things near there