Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

DrSunshine posted:

I'm still dying over the fact that Mineta's super special awesome attack is "Yo, literally some XXXL anal beads". :laffo:

Yeah, it took me a moment to realize it. I'm trying hard not to think about how he would use it in combat, because there's really no pleasant answer to that question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blackheart posted:

Now that we had more Mei I crave more Monoma being needlessly antagonistic towards class A.

Speaking of Monoma, I hope we get more fights with him. His quirk is actually extremely powerful for group battles, and it opens up a lot of neat options in terms of how it can be used (compared with, say, Deku's quirk, which is actually kind of boring).

edit: I just noticed that Uraraka's jealousy towards Hatsume goes back to chapter 28 (the cavalry competition thing), when she gets jealous of Deku praising Hatsume's inventions.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 3, 2016

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

The Sandman posted:

Yeah, it took me a moment to realize it. I'm trying hard not to think about how he would use it in combat, because there's really no pleasant answer to that question.

• Impromptu roadblock. Bad guys getting away in a vehicle? SPLAP. Not this way they're not.

• If they can slip off the string, he could whip a whole batch at foes rather than flinging them around all willy-nilly.

• He could wear them as a bandolier and have a ready opening salvo without having to rip so many off his head that he bleeds.

• Giant anal beads Something even cooler.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of Monoma, I hope we get more fights with him. His quirk is actually extremely powerful for group battles, and it opens up a lot of neat options in terms of how it can be used (compared with, say, Deku's quirk, which is actually kind of boring).

I wonder what happens if he copies Deku, would the expected happen and he gets OfA (and proceeds to wreck himself), but I can also see something weird happening like him copying Deku's base "quirklessness".

Mirage posted:

• Giant anal beads Something even cooler.

I can picture him using them as body armor to absorb blows and get the foe stickied, kiiinda like that hair guy from Hunter X Hunter.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Blackheart posted:

I wonder what happens if he copies Deku, would the expected happen and he gets OfA (and proceeds to wreck himself), but I can also see something weird happening like him copying Deku's base "quirklessness".

I can picture him using them as body armor to absorb blows and get the foe stickied, kiiinda like that hair guy from Hunter X Hunter.

or if he could pass it on after copying it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blackheart posted:

My guess would be that he would either get nothing (Deku's quirklessness) or get the stockpiling ability + the ability to pass down power, but starting from scratch (which is also basically useless).

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I'm still half expecting Deku to have actually had a quirk, but it's just one that doesn't do anything on its own. It'll be something discovered further down the line and allow him to advance his strength or prove he can handle more than one quirk, further differentiating himself both from All Might but also the opposition.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blackheart posted:

Or he could wrap it around someone. After which they have no way to escape for a day.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Comic posted:

I'm still half expecting Deku to have actually had a quirk, but it's just one that doesn't do anything on its own. It'll be something discovered further down the line and allow him to advance his strength or prove he can handle more than one quirk, further differentiating himself both from All Might but also the opposition.

Eh, there's currently strong reason to believe he doesn't have one, because it's apparently established science in the MHA world that the extra toe joint (or whatever) indicates whether a person has a quirk. It would be kind of dumb if they step back from that. It's also kind of unnecessary for someone with the potential to become as strong as All Might to have some other ability on top of that.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, there's currently strong reason to believe he doesn't have one, because it's apparently established science in the MHA world that the extra toe joint (or whatever) indicates whether a person has a quirk. It would be kind of dumb if they step back from that. It's also kind of unnecessary for someone with the potential to become as strong as All Might to have some other ability on top of that.

The doctor who gave him that diagnosis was probably working for All For One.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Deku's quirk is that he is a colossal otaku.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Colossal Otaku is a pretty cool hero name tbh or jaeger name

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Is, not was. That was like 10 years ago, and even if he was already working with AFO... so what? It's a benign diagnosis for a completely random run-of-the-mill kid?? If he'd use his doctor's degree to routinely bullshit to spite little kids for no reason at all, he'd probably struggle to keep a sustainable income / any patients.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HenryEx posted:

Is, not was. That was like 10 years ago, and even if he was already working with AFO... so what? It's a benign diagnosis for a completely random run-of-the-mill kid?? If he'd use his doctor's degree to routinely bullshit to spite little kids for no reason at all, he'd probably struggle to keep a sustainable income / any patients.

Well for one thing if Allmight would only pass his quirk on to someone else without a quirk, they'd probably want to keep an eye out for kids without quirks. He was also probably looking for kids with interesting powers for AFO and nomu potential. What with the nomus that attacked, I think it was when Stain was attacking?, being similar to the kids Bakugou used to hang around with. It seems like it'd be a good way to get fodder without being suspicious.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

HenryEx posted:

Yeah. The absolute most that info could come to is "The doctor uses his connections to get All for One to steal quirks by pretending its a quirk analysis test," which still leads to "Deku doesn't have a quirk." The doctor being the same guy might mean All for One stole whatever quirk baby Deku could have had, and was maybe using the doctor as an in to build up a bunch of quirks on the down-low before people knew they had them.

But at the end of the day, this still means Deku doesn't have a quirk and nothing has changed in the premise of the story.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Deku doesn't have a quirk but he doesn't have a legendary beast sealed within his body

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

gnome7 posted:

But at the end of the day, this still means Deku doesn't have a quirk and nothing has changed in the premise of the story.

It does mean we'll probably get a "It was me, Barry" monologue at some point.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Deku's father is actually a member of a race of alien warriors

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

deku fires a gun into his own head and the evil spirit possessing him catches the bullet in mid-air

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Sandman posted:

It's just one of those mine attacher whips from gundam but instead of hitting you with a mine and sticking it there is attaches a sticky ball.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Deku's quirk is the traitor.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

HenryEx posted:

That doc was probably harvesting/cataloging Quirks for All For One, if this is anything to go by.

gnome7 posted:

Yeah. The absolute most that info could come to is "The doctor uses his connections to get All for One to steal quirks by pretending its a quirk analysis test," which still leads to "Deku doesn't have a quirk." The doctor being the same guy might mean All for One stole whatever quirk baby Deku could have had, and was maybe using the doctor as an in to build up a bunch of quirks on the down-low before people knew they had them.

I still think Deku is All For One's son. All good villains have to have a secret heir to carry on their legacy, and having them fight for the good guys for a while before they become evil is just common sense.

Besides, how else are we going to end up with the Quirk 「All For One And One For All」?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I love the deku perspective on the ofa/afo fight, it's like starting to read superman comics partway through a series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nuebot posted:

Well for one thing if Allmight would only pass his quirk on to someone else without a quirk, they'd probably want to keep an eye out for kids without quirks. He was also probably looking for kids with interesting powers for AFO and nomu potential. What with the nomus that attacked, I think it was when Stain was attacking?, being similar to the kids Bakugou used to hang around with. It seems like it'd be a good way to get fodder without being suspicious.

But that isn't the case. The entire point of All Might entering UA as a teacher was to find someone to inherit One For All, and the idea of Todoroki having it is raised at one point. It's basically a complete coincidence that OFA passed from a quirkless person to another, and it would've likely created a far stronger hero if Toshinori hadn't found someone who worked so well with his ideals and instead had just found someone with a lot of power and some sense of justice, something that would've been easy from Class A.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

HenryEx posted:

He's probably not run of the mill. His dad is likely someone important to the story.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Remember how Deku's childhood friend got Noumu'd and stabbed in the brain, that was hosed up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blackheart posted:

Remember how Deku's childhood friend got Noumu'd and stabbed in the brain, that was hosed up.

But Bakugou is okay :confused:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kild posted:

He's probably not run of the mill. His dad is likely someone important to the story.

He's the most famous, important super hero of them all. SalaryMan. Defending the night from unfinished work, every day of the week!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I really hope there's not some dumb "Deku actually has some crazy secret quirk" or "important/evil dad" plot later because for what this story is him just being some run of the mill kid is what makes it all work.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Deku's dad is Deku from the future who came back in time during the final battle with Kira.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Deku's dad is Deku from the future who came back in time during the final battle with Kira.

He's also the traitor.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ruggington posted:

deku fires a gun into his own head and the evil spirit possessing him catches the bullet in mid-air
I initially read this as a Persona 3 reference before realizing it was a JoJos reference, is that a bad thing

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

JT Jag posted:

I initially read this as a Persona 3 reference before realizing it was a JoJos reference, is that a bad thing

The entirety of Persona 3 is a Jojo's reference, so no not really.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Nuebot posted:

He's the most famous, important super hero of them all. SalaryMan. Defending the night from unfinished work, every day of the week!

I hope Deku's dad is basically the prototype Midoriya from the original oneshot where he's a salaryman working for a hero supplies company.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

gnome7 posted:

The entirety of Persona 3 is a Jojo's reference, so no not really.

is it a bad thing that I didn't get the connection between personas and stands until you just mentioned it

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

JT Jag posted:

Persona 3 memes are superior to jojo memes.

Also Deku's dad is AFO's sister's cousin's father's aunt's uncle's nephew's niece's thrice-removed former roommate. Who is also the traitor's mentor's student's mascot's high-school crush's locker-room-incident's hall monitor.

Look, the 80's were a wild time and it's a small world after all.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

VibrantPareidolia posted:

I hope Deku's dad is basically the prototype Midoriya from the original oneshot where he's a salaryman working for a hero supplies company.

I want this so bad now. That guy was great.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

I really hope there's not some dumb "Deku actually has some crazy secret quirk" or "important/evil dad" plot later because for what this story is him just being some run of the mill kid is what makes it all work.

Barring a Hokuto no Ken level melodramatic twist, we know that the first one isn't going to be too crazy. Breathe fire, weak possibly-attractive-only telekinesis, or some mix of the two that varies based on the details of both but probably ends up being inverse two word Dovahkiin.

In the second case, we should look to the guy's name to see what possibilities lie within. And I'm lead to believe that his name is written so that it can be understood as something along the lines of "been a while" (as in being analogous to been a while since we last met, and not literally) and the common to his family "green valley" so probably not going to be an important villian unless we find out that he's been replaced by or is the parent of Himiko Toga or we find out that the fire breath is some kind of strange cover for people banishing breath.

And in that case, hopefully the green valley isn't too near a cornfield.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Dekumom is gonna reveal her quirk is actually extremely powerful by pulling someone's heart towards her straight through their chest. She omitted the fact that no obstacle can stop the small object from being pulled.

This will happen a while before she marries All Might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

kidcoelacanth posted:

If All For One stole Deku's quirk when he was a little kid and the doctor is covering, it doesn't really matter how awesome or lame it was, he's still a quirkless nobody who got a quirk from All Might.

Though it could come back later if he gets his original baby quirk back towards the end and it "fixes" the issues with his arms or something. Maybe he has tactile telekinesis, or maybe his dad isn't who him mom thought and the low level regen quirk AFO got when we first saw him with the doc is Deku's. Just enough regen so his arms don't become useless lumps of meat with no tendons in the joints, not enough to do much fixing.

Deku regaining his quirk or his dad turning out to be extremely evil are only a problem if the story around them sucks, which hasn't been the case so far.