Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Now the critic reviews really didn't bother me, but this does. Weren't the DC films supposedly supposed to be the ones that were director driven with the studio just letting them do their thing with no interference? Hiring an outside company to re-edit the film doesn't really fit that mold.
Pretty sure that lasted exactly as long as BvS didn't meet expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

Now the critic reviews really didn't bother me, but this does. Weren't the DC films supposedly supposed to be the ones that were director driven with the studio just letting them do their thing with no interference? Hiring an outside company to re-edit the film doesn't really fit that mold.

Well this is the second one and first not directed by the guy in charge of everything anyway, so it's kind of early to identify a status quo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

Pretty sure that lasted exactly as long as BvS didn't meet expectations.

Which is kinda funny when you think that the extended cut Snyder wanted got better reviews than the company edited theatrical cut

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I'll eventually see it but to me Suicide Squad seems like a concept much better suited to TV/Netflix/Whatever episodic format. Give me weekly capers and a bigger platform to explore each character.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

mycot posted:

Several reviews have brought it up mockingly, but can anyone name which superhero/action films had a (does review material count as spoilers?) column of light in the climax? Other than Ghostbusters of course.

I don't mean that as an argument, I have big gaps in my movie viewing and a bad memory.

X-men
Amazing Spider-man

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I truly forgot that Slipknot was a character in SS until reviews brought up, mockingly, how Slipknot was a character in SS.

Talk about an overly cast film.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Wasn't he everyone's favorite candidate for testing out the bombs?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I dunno how much weight it holds with you guys but ca did not like suicide squad

http://comicsalliance.com/suicide-squad-review-the-dc-movie-universes-darkest-night/

Holy poo poo I haven't kept up with SS news (because I have not been excited for it much at all) but that Deadshot mask is just bad. I thought they were just gonna have Will Smith go maskless. That thing looks CW-show level.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TwoPair posted:

Holy poo poo I haven't kept up with SS news (because I have not been excited for it much at all) but that Deadshot mask is just bad. I thought they were just gonna have Will Smith go maskless. That thing looks CW-show level.

That's not being fair to the CW. He looks like a power rangers villain, or maybe a knockoff Predator from an asylum film or something.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
It looks like a jockstrap.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Jonny_Rocket posted:

So...regardless if a movie is good or not, you're really paying for the experience? If the prices to see a movie were a bit cheaper, then sure - but at around $15+ for a single ticket? No thanks.

Where the heck are you going? I get a ticket for literally half that. $7.50 and I can still get a drink with the left over $10 (but a small one because it's the fuckin movies).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Wasn't he everyone's favorite candidate for testing out the bombs?

This is his fate in the comics and probably in the film.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

X-O posted:

After I read that article this morning, it left a really bad taste in my mouth on what's happening with the DC properties in film. Odds are Wonder Woman and Justice League are going to fall victim to the same treatment I think, and that bums me out. I really want to be proven wrong though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wonder Woman seems like such a straightforward story that would be difficult to gently caress up in editing. It seems like it's fairly linear and focused on one strong character and is an origin story, rather than an ensemble where you are trying to tell a story and also flashback to their origin story for like a dozen characters.

JLA seems like it works be similarly simple depending on how much backstory they try to cram in for various characters(given the cast list and seeing lots of ancillary characters like Aquaman's advisor, they could be making that same mistake.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wonder Woman is really the only comic book character I actually care about, so yeah, my hopes are still high from all the footage that's been released (especially from the trailer), but still, that Hollywood Reporter article still kind of has me worried that somehow, someway, WB could gently caress it up. The potential is there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean, if they try to undermine a guy like David Ayer who was a very respected filmmaker before he ever got involved with DC and then turned into one of their biggest cheerleaders then I really don't put anything past them with regards to future movies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ImpAtom posted:

This is his fate in the comics and probably in the film.
Wish they had given Boomerang that costume in the movie

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Saying that Suicide Squad is worse than Fantastic Four is a little misleading. FF is not good but it's definitely not 9% bad. Catwoman is also 9% and it's way worse.

I'd put Fantastic Four with Green Lantern (26) and BvS (27) and if SS is doing 32% then that sounds about right.

What doesn't sound right are the complaints that it's slow and boring. This should be a big dumb movie with sexy bad girls and angry bad mans and large explosions and thin plots. This should be anything but boring.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Heathen posted:

Saying that Suicide Squad is worse than Fantastic Four is a little misleading. FF is not good but it's definitely not 9% bad. Catwoman is also 9% and it's way worse.

I'd put Fantastic Four with Green Lantern (26) and BvS (27) and if SS is doing 32% then that sounds about right.

What doesn't sound right are the complaints that it's slow and boring. This should be a big dumb movie with sexy bad girls and angry bad mans and large explosions and thin plots. This should be anything but boring.

That's not how RT percentage works :argh:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-O posted:

I mean, if they try to undermine a guy like David Ayer who was a very respected filmmaker before he ever got involved with DC and then turned into one of their biggest cheerleaders then I really don't put anything past them with regards to future movies.

Was David Ayer really all that well respected? Unless we're counting Training Day, the response to pretty much all of his films has been middling to outright hostile.

Edit: I guess End of Watch got pretty good reviews actually

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 4, 2016

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Kind of an interesting review over at Nerdist

http://nerdist.com/suicide-squad-is-too-all-over-the-place-to-really-land-review/

It basically says that for an ensemble cast movie, there isn't much team building shown. A few moments of "I guess they're friends now?" pop up here and there.

I say interesting for one reason - Joker isn't mentioned at all in the review until the very last sentence.

quote:

With talents like Smith and Robbie and characters with as much potential as that displayed by Killer Croc (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje) and El Diablo (Jay Hernandez), it’s a shame and a puzzler that the biggest letdown of Suicide Squad was its virtual squadlessness.

That or the Joker.

So, are we to take away form this that the Joker who has been front and center in all the build up is either A) the worst part or B) not around enough to make or break the movie?

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 4, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Was David Ayer really all that well respected? Unless we're counting Training Day, the response to pretty much all of his films has been middling to outright hostile.

Edit: I guess End of Watch got pretty good reviews actually

The only movie of his I didn't like was Sabotage. Training Day, Harsh Times, End of Watch, and Fury I loved. Street Kings was ok. Training Day, End of Watch, and Fury all got mostly critical praise.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

CzarChasm posted:

So, are we to take away form this that the Joker who has been front and center in all the build up is either A) the worst part or B) not around enough to make or break the movie?

I haven't seen it but it's option Bee (from other reviews.)

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

SonicRulez posted:

Where the heck are you going? I get a ticket for literally half that. $7.50 and I can still get a drink with the left over $10 (but a small one because it's the fuckin movies).

All of the options around me in Massachusetts are at least $10 or more, especially if it's in gimmicky 3D or IMAX

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

NmareBfly posted:

I haven't seen it but it's option Bee (from other reviews.)

Color me genuinely, pleasantly surprised if this turns out to be true

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean, if you get the guy who made fuckin' Training Day to make the Training Day of superhero movies, you should just leave him to his own loving devices over editing the movie out from under him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Color me genuinely, pleasantly surprised if this turns out to be true

It's true. Pretty much every review mentions it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Not only is he barely in the movie, he's supposedly not particularly weird or 'crazy' acting. One review I read says he's more like Gotham's top gangster, and he barely does anything you would expect a criminal to be sent to an asylum for in the first place.

And he apparently doesn't have any scenes with any of the Squad except for Harley, so all his 'method' stunts of psyching out the other actors were utterly pointless.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not Training Day. Training Day being about 2 people is key. Ayer's been trying to make Training Day but with more people for a while now, with varying success.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SonicRulez posted:

I always get 8 dollar tickets at the Cinemark, but that's mostly because I go at 12:00 on a Saturday

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

They honestly should have just made a live-action version of Assault on Arkham.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's the one where Harley and deadshot take a TO to gently caress right

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Early movies here are $12. Normal movies are $15-18 depending on 3D. Add another $3 if it's at the nice theater with the giant recliners.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

CzarChasm posted:

Surprise, it's both!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Whizbang posted:

Surprise, it's both!

Eh, nah. The reviews are pretty unanimous in that Cara Delevingne, whether as June Moon (where she's mousy and wooden and barely present) or as Enchantress (where she's catastrophically terrible) is the worst part of SS.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
But she isn't objectively human garbage like Jared Leto.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
i wish i never learned Leto was an awful person. He was so good in Dallas Buyers Club.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Toxxupation posted:

Eh, nah. The reviews are pretty unanimous in that Cara Delevingne, whether as June Moon (where she's mousy and wooden and barely present) or as Enchantress (where she's catastrophically terrible) is the worst part of SS.

There's a difference between best/worst actor, and best/worst part of the film. I'm not surprised to hear Cara is the worst actor in the film, but Leto's Joker could still be the lowest point of the film, despite being better acted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I want to think that once they saw the premiere and everyone realized that Leto was barely in the movie and didn't actually have any scenes with anyone else the entire cast and crew ganged up on him and took turns dunking his head in a toilet

• Locked thread