Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/ryanjhaas/status/760209850815000577

Another one pleads guilty. He had to in Oregon in order to enter a guilty plea in Nevada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Young Freud posted:

It's some arbitrary high dollar figure that sovereign citizens pull out because it's large enough to bankrupt most people or cause corporations or government organizations concern.

Really they believe they can just will that sort of thing into existence using the right words. They also believe that judges know that this is perfectly ok to do but suppress that information. They also believe that the government will give into their demands so they don't have to pay that money.

It is profoundly stupid. It's why people get images of a wizard ineffectually shouting magic words that don't work. Similarly this is why they end up yelling themselves; they truly and sincerely believe their legal wizardry is real and can't be convinced otherwise ever, even when literally in jail.

This is why they think "you can't keep me in jail because I can't have a gun here" is a perfectly reasonable thing to say.

ToxicSlurpee has issued a correction as of 17:42 on Aug 2, 2016

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I think that Ryan and Ammon are accepting the fact that they will not see the light of day through anything but prison bars for the rest of their life and are going full hog with the sov cit poo poo because it doesn't matter. Less so than Bundy Sr. who sounds like he just doesn't give a gently caress at all.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rick_Hunter posted:

I think that Ryan and Ammon are accepting the fact that they will not see the light of day through anything but prison bars for the rest of their life and are going full hog with the sov cit poo poo because it doesn't matter. Less so than Bundy Sr. who sounds like he just doesn't give a gently caress at all.

He probably knows he's hosed. I wouldn't be surprised if he enters a plea in this case.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

iospace posted:

He probably knows he's hosed. I wouldn't be surprised if he enters a plea in this case.
If I plead guilty you have to give back my cowboy hat. I'm a rancher, I need my cowboy hat.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

iospace posted:

Why should he? If he can make life as difficult as possible for the feds and die before a verdict people can say he was never convicted. If he gets convicted he'll die a martyr in prison.

For him it's win/win. For us it's win/win. Everybody wins.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Casimir Radon posted:

If I plead guilty you have to give back my cowboy hat. I'm a rancher, I need my cowboy hat.

Just like that rope you're making out of your sheets? Wanna wager a 6 hour prob for this?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

iospace posted:

Oh, no doubt. He's a grizzled old bastard that knows the government wanted him for a few years now. He doesn't have a prayer in hell of getting out of custody alive because he'll die of old age or something related to it

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Shawna Cox is challenging someone's identification of her with a gun. If she wasn't packing at any time, I wonder if this will have any affect on her charges..

https://www.scribd.com/document/320021037/Cox-Challenges-Witness-Id

I'm sure she'll get nailed to the wall anyways.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SocketWrench posted:

Oh, no doubt. He's a grizzled old bastard that knows the government wanted him for a few years now. He doesn't have a prayer in hell of getting out of custody alive because he'll die of old age or something related to it

I wonder if they'll suspend most of his sentence like they usually do for extremely old people on death's door, since the corrections system generally doesn't want to be on the hook for end of life care.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Geoj posted:

I wonder if they'll suspend most of his sentence like they usually do for extremely old people on death's door, since the corrections system generally doesn't want to be on the hook for end of life care.

I think the feds can afford it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Geoj posted:

I seriously doubt they will since his mere existence outside of prison would be a rallying point

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cliven Bundy will be in a federal facility until the day he dies.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Bundys are all going away indefinitely. They shot at the bear and missed.

Or in Finicum's case, they couldn't even draw.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

There's still a chance they get their sentences commuted by Trump or a Republican President. That maybe what some of them are hoping for.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Young Freud posted:

There's still a chance they get their sentences commuted by Trump or a Republican President. That maybe what some of them are hoping for.

Didn't Trump call these dudes terrorists too? The lot of them are hosed.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tardcore posted:

Yeah, but he also had a campaign adviser connected with them and a whole bunch of supporters were calling for Trump.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tardcore posted:

He also says that they have to "look at" the FedGov owning so much land out west and if they really need to--in other words, sympathetic to their cause.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OAquinas posted:

He also says that they have to "look at" the FedGov owning so much land out west and if they really need to--in other words, sympathetic to their cause.

I mean Trump's platform is pretty schizophrenic at this point so I'm not sure if any conclusion about what he actually means can be drawn from it other than "Trump is a cool guy, I like Trump yes sir good and cool and attractive and pretty and very nice and is best president great job"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Even if Trump passes on giving them pardons or plainly doesn't win, I'm sure that the Bundys and the other Bunkerville and Malheur occupation forces will lobby from their jail cells the ear of a sympathetic Republican or Libertarian politician.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Young Freud posted:

Even if Trump passes on giving them pardons or plainly doesn't win, I'm sure that the Bundys and the other Bunkerville and Malheur occupation forces will lobby from their jail cells the ear of a sympathetic Republican or Libertarian politician.

Has this somehow not yet happened

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

OAquinas posted:

That's just what Donald Trump says when he isn't familiar with a subject. He's also said the same thing for the gold standard.

Best case scenario for SovCits: President Trump sells all federal land to the west of the Mississippii to Trump Enterprises for a dollar and then leases it back to the government for $100 billion a year.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

total speculation but i could see trump selling off shitloads of government assets

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

total speculation but i could see trump selling off shitloads of government assets

To his own companies.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

The Lone Badger posted:

To his own companies.

Nah, Trump is totally the type that would sell off public assets to cover a short term shortfall/deficit, trumpet their financial wizardry with the budget being balanced/fixed, then have everything start to fall apart again right as he's leaving office.

He'd also sell himself stuff too, but that's personal greed.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

OAquinas posted:

Nah, Trump is totally the type that would sell off public assets to cover a short term shortfall/deficit, trumpet their financial wizardry with the budget being balanced/fixed, then have everything start to fall apart again right as he's leaving office.

He'd also sell himself stuff too, but that's personal greed.

Bobby Jindal and Donald Trump might both be Republicans with bad hair, but that doesn't make them the same person!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Niton posted:

Bobby Jindal and Donald Trump might both be Republicans with bad hair, but that doesn't make them the same person!

Or does it? :tinfoil:

Have they ever been on the same stage? Surely it's no coincidence that Jindal got stuck in the kiddy table after Trump entered the race.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
There is footage of Bobby Jindal out there saying "I'm the sheriff, and what I say goes!" in a really, really bad attempt to slam Obama for overreaching his Constitutional authority. It was one of those immensely awkward GOP rebuttal to the State of the Union speeches where, after watching Obama stand before Congress, they follow it up by having some doofus stand directly in front of a camera like a shy 3rd grader who recorded his speech for class.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

cumshitter posted:

There is footage of Bobby Jindal out there saying "I'm the sheriff, and what I say goes!" in a really, really bad attempt to slam Obama for overreaching his Constitutional authority. It was one of those immensely awkward GOP rebuttal to the State of the Union speeches where, after watching Obama stand before Congress, they follow it up by having some doofus stand directly in front of a camera like a shy 3rd grader who recorded his speech for class.

Was that the one where the GOP was very obviously grooming Jindal for a presidential run "Hey, you're brown, wanna be president?", and he railed against wasting money on volcano monitoring and then mere hours later the US geological survey evacuated the cities in the path of an impending volcano eruption. The ridicule that idiot took nearly ended his career.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't remember the volcano part, but yeah I do remember this as being something of a coming out for him as a new face for the GOP.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Kenneth the page references immediately afterwards and they brought that man into SNL to not do brownface but say "hey it's me I sound like that guy okay well bye~"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

red19fire posted:

Was that the one where the GOP was very obviously grooming Jindal for a presidential run "Hey, you're brown, wanna be president?", and he railed against wasting money on volcano monitoring and then mere hours later the US geological survey evacuated the cities in the path of an impending volcano eruption. The ridicule that idiot took nearly ended his career.

Being against volcano monitoring is such a bizarrely stupid critically important thing to want to cut, even for a republican from a state without volcanoes. You'd barely save any money and literally the only possible outcome would be "the volcano erupted unexpectedly, how could this have happened!" It's like saying we spend too darn much on looking for incoming world-ending asteroids.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Remember when Governor Voldemort cut funds for mosquito control in Florida?

Good thing there's not a sexually transmitted disease that causes small head birth defects with skeeters as a co-vector! :downswords:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Remember when Governor Voldemort cut funds for mosquito control in Florida?

Good thing there's not a sexually transmitted disease that causes small head birth defects with skeeters as a co-vector! :downswords:

Oh man living in Florida and watching Rick Scott waffle and shift blame on not having enough funds is great. It's all the president's fault somehow, by the way.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Being against volcano monitoring is such a bizarrely stupid critically important thing to want to cut, even for a republican from a state without volcanoes.

Bolded part is exactly why he doesn't care. If it doesn't benefit him or the state personally then it's not worth it like hurricane relief for the Gulf of Mexico is required but gently caress those New Yorkers and Hurricane Sandy.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Rick_Hunter posted:

Bolded part is exactly why he doesn't care. If it doesn't benefit him or the state personally then it's not worth it like hurricane relief for the Gulf of Mexico is required but gently caress those New Yorkers and Hurricane Sandy.

there are plenty of dumbass politicians who support cutting service X that actually benefits them, so

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there are plenty of dumbass politicians who support cutting service X that actually benefits them, so

example: Bobby Jindal, the state of Louisiana's entire education system

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Raku posted:

example: Bobby Jindal, the state of Louisiana's entire education system

A certain levy system comes to mind as well.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Jumpingmanjim posted:

A certain levy system comes to mind as well.

Whoa now, i'm pretty sure Obama cut that one, as part of the sequester he forced to pay for Obamacare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hurricane Katrina truly was Obama's Katrina.