Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

NitroSpazzz posted:

"So now I’m still running 100+ MPH on fire with no brakes."

If that isn't AI as gently caress, I don't know what is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

go3 posted:

you are aware that things occasionally fail

I am well aware that things break, but when "engine component broke, started oil fire, started gas fire", but the car didn't lose power, his dash didn't light up, and his aggressive ECU didn't do anything about the temperature in the engine bay or the massive drop in oil pressure? Those Mustangs are so poor at heat management, that the car has protocols built in to cut your ability to overheat the car, but his car had a fire inside of the engine bay and was still able to accelerate. There's something very wrong with that picture, and there's 2 scenarios I can see. #1 is a catastrophic failure in the car's internal safety systems eventually blowing up his engine, #2 is him loving with the ECU and the car blowing up because it couldn't stop him from overtaxing the engine.

Either way, if my new $70,000 performance car died on its second track day, fire or no fire, I'm running back to that dealership, pissed as hell.

E: And this is why you refresh before posting

Phanatic posted:

Doesn't sound like he's *buying* a newer one, it sounds like the dealership has in mind exactly what you're saying and is throwing a newer one at him.

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 2, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Phanatic posted:

Doesn't sound like he's *buying* a newer one, it sounds like the dealership has in mind exactly what you're saying and is throwing a newer one at him.

I thought that, but it is a bit ambiguous.

I bet there is a clause in the small print that invalidates any warranty if you take it on a racetrack.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

spog posted:

I bet there is a clause in the small print that invalidates any warranty if you take it on a racetrack.
But of course. Same as warranties on vehicles like Wranglers, which preclude any off-road use.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

spog posted:

I thought that, but it is a bit ambiguous.

Sure, but I'm sure ford sees a PR nightmare with a low mile car exploding doing what they advertised it doing.
However, I few companies have explictly included track as covered by warranty on very special cars (some version of the corvette IIRC?).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think it would be as much about getting the car back and diagnosing the failure before it happens again and becomes a trend, and builds a reputation.

The alternative, obviously, is just slapping Ferrari badges on future GT350s. They had the engine covered, now they've got the flammability aspect under control. If 9 out of every 10 cars off the line was red, it would be 100% Ferrari.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

nm posted:

Sure, but I'm sure ford sees a PR nightmare with a low mile car exploding doing what they advertised it doing.
However, I few companies have explictly included track as covered by warranty on very special cars (some version of the corvette IIRC?).

Ford should be used to PR nightmares by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHcdM7bBHCU

That being said, what Ford is doing right now is insanely cool. Considering what they were selling in 2005, how cool is it that they have the GT, Raptor, 2 Halo versions of the Mustang, 2 Halo Focuses, and the Fiesta ST on or about right now.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Powershift posted:

I think it would be as much about getting the car back and diagnosing the failure before it happens again and becomes a trend, and builds a reputation.

The alternative, obviously, is just slapping Ferrari badges on future GT350s. They had the engine covered, now they've got the flammability aspect under control. If 9 out of every 10 cars off the line was red, it would be 100% Ferrari.

Dude you are on a roll today.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

Ford should be used to PR nightmares by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHcdM7bBHCU

That being said, what Ford is doing right now is insanely cool. Considering what they were selling in 2005, how cool is it that they have the GT, Raptor, 2 Halo versions of the Mustang, 2 Halo Focuses, and the Fiesta ST on or about right now.

Don't forget the 325hp AWD Fusion starting this year.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Horrible Pneumatic Failure. Found this stuck in the gas station air pump. Someone must have been in a rush.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ola posted:

Horrible Pneumatic Failure. Found this stuck in the gas station air pump. Someone must have been in a rush.

I wish I had snapped a picture of it but yesterday I saw someone on the side of the road pulling a tire pressure gauge out of their flat tire.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is actually an awesome mechanical failure, but we don't have a thread for that.

http://i.imgur.com/i57cSbP.gifv

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

This is actually an awesome mechanical failure, but we don't have a thread for that.

It's beautiful.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
That reminds me of calculus class somehow...

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Oh boy, get ready for a whole new type of 11'8:" videos. Cause soon we may have a rolling 11'8"

http://gizmodo.com/china-actually-b...dium=socialflow

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

xzzy posted:

How is smoke making it out of the tip of one blade?

Not that I'm complaining - that poo poo looks awesome

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

xzzy posted:

And people say that they don't beautify the countryside. So how... how do you stop it?

I remember seeing a wind farm on the horizon during a road trip at night, and all of the synchronized blinking lights were so eerie. Definitely better than featureless black expanse that the plains usually are, but so unsettling until you get closer

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Given the video it's from, you let it go boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5COAi6KM8o

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Usually those failures are caused by the brake system failing. The problem resolves itself when the windmill falls apart.

I wonder if the land lease covers destroying farmer brown's corn field when it falls over.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

And people say that they don't beautify the countryside. So how... how do you stop it?

I remember seeing a wind farm on the horizon during a road trip at night, and all of the synchronized blinking lights were so eerie. Definitely better than featureless black expanse that the plains usually are, but so unsettling until you get closer

One of my favorite places in the world is outside of three hills, alberta. You are driving through absolute blackness, and you crest over the top of a big hill, and you see all the lights from the windmills blinking creating almost a grid, you can see the contours of the landscape based on the lights on the top like an old video game.

Also near halkirk alberta, they are huge windmills and are close to both sides of the road, so when you're driving out there and everything is covered in frost and it's just you and these behemoths. It's the most "yeah, it's the future now" you can get.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We got a decent wind farm about 45 minutes from me.. I've considered going out there during the Perseids and try to do something unique with a picture but never actually done it. There's a bigger one along I-65 in Indiana but it's a couple hours away.

Can't do it this year because I'm going to be in new mexico that weekend.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

Oh boy, get ready for a whole new type of 11'8:" videos. Cause soon we may have a rolling 11'8"

http://gizmodo.com/china-actually-b...dium=socialflow

Very close to the stupidest thing I've ever seen. There are so many unsolvable things there I don't even know where to start. It reminds me of the crazy larger-than-life nazi projects that made no sense at all.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Slavvy posted:

Very close to the stupidest thing I've ever seen. There are so many unsolvable things there I don't even know where to start. It reminds me of the crazy larger-than-life nazi projects that made no sense at all.

I thought that was some Dahir Insaat poo poo for a minute, but that's apparently real? :wtc:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In communist china, traffic lights stop for bus!

Seriously, what is going on with those?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
They've been talking about this elevated bus since 2010 if I recall correctly. I thought it was vaporware, some stupid poo poo to make it look like someone cared about fixing problems, kind of like how people talk up mag lev trains in the US solving city-to-city transit issues back in 1995 or whatever. gently caress, we must have had a mag-lev train taking you from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh right around the corner for about 10 years in PA, in a "It's totally gonna happen, guys" kind of way.

Here the Chinese actually built their thing, and goddamn I can't wait until some pube who can't stay in his/her lane is blocking the "bus" and causing a whole litany of issues.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ripoff posted:

Here the Chinese actually built their thing, and goddamn I can't wait until some pube who can't stay in his/her lane is blocking the "bus" and causing a whole litany of issues.

Something is either going to crash into it or catch on fire underneath it...

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 3, 2016

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Either that or this motherfucker shows up and the bus meets its match.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ripoff posted:

Either that or this motherfucker shows up and the bus meets its match.

He could just stab the throttle, do a wheelie, and limbo under.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

How is smoke making it out of the tip of one blade?

Not that I'm complaining - that poo poo looks awesome

The blades on those things are hollow, so the smoke is probably chimney-ing up the blade and feeding the fire in the genset.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Now they get to run people over without it showing up on liveleak.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Windshield bigger than entire car, single wiper.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

xzzy posted:

Usually those failures are caused by the brake system failing. The problem resolves itself when the windmill falls apart.

I wonder if the land lease covers destroying farmer brown's corn field when it falls over.

The one in the background is on fire too. Having a hard time believing that two of them would fail and catch on fire at the same time without some human intervention.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Well they certainly like executing or imprisoning citizens and harvesting them for their organs, so there's always that solution for anyone unlucky enough to hit the dumb thing.

However you would think in a planned economy without any of that pesky eminent domain stuff they wouldn't have to bother with stupid poo poo like this.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You wouldn't think they'd have to deal with "nail houses" either but welp.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/19/asia/gallery/china-nail-houses/

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Locator posted:

The one in the background is on fire too. Having a hard time believing that two of them would fail and catch on fire at the same time without some human intervention.

possibly a software glitch that didn't' feather the blades correctly, or allowed them to over-speed and couldn't stop them.

edit: Maybe the guy from office space messed up on the decimal point.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just like Superman 3.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Data Graham posted:

You wouldn't think they'd have to deal with "nail houses" either but welp.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/19/asia/gallery/china-nail-houses/

The horrible mechanical failure is trying to look at that website on mobile. Couldn't scroll down the page without clicking on an ad.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Memento posted:

The horrible mechanical failure is trying to look at that website on mobile. Couldn't scroll down the page without clicking on an ad.

Working as intended.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Powershift posted:

One of my favorite places in the world is outside of three hills, alberta. You are driving through absolute blackness, and you crest over the top of a big hill, and you see all the lights from the windmills blinking creating almost a grid, you can see the contours of the landscape based on the lights on the top like an old video game.

You get the same effect from the air if you fly into Denver after dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Geirskogul posted:

From the picture it doesn't even look based on the more robust Type 4 engine, instead a Type 1 that they added a water jacket to (like, literally just added it).

This is from several hundred replies back but I just caught it and my reply adds something fun. For anyone not in the know, google VW's "Bastard 40," aka the motor my Bus came with.