Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dell killed their Venue line of tablets today including all future software updates.

There really needs to be a new 7"- 8" Nexus. Hopefully with the new nexus phones rumored as being smaller, there will be room in the lineup for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

bull3964 posted:

Dell killed their Venue line of tablets today including all future software updates.

There really needs to be a new 7"- 8" Nexus. Hopefully with the new nexus phones rumored as being smaller, there will be room in the lineup for it.

I need a new dynamic duo. My Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 are getting long in the tooth.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

I need a new dynamic duo. My Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 are getting long in the tooth.

6p and pixel c

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I like my Pixel C quite a bit, but I'm not enamored with the screen. Off axis viewing could be a bit better and mine has a yellow tint near the bottom bezel in landscape. It seems like it's a pretty common issue and I'm trying to decide if I want to go through the hassle of an RMA as people have done so and not really gotten a better device.

It performs great though and the keyboard is really nice.

As much as I like the combo though, I really wonder how often I'm going to use it after my HP Chromebook 13 gets the Play Store.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 1, 2016

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

bull3964 posted:

Not that they were supporting them worth a poo poo prior to today. Super annoyed about that. My Venue 8 was hands down the nicest Android device I've ever used. Gorgeous screen and smooth as hell, never once felt like it was slowing down or acting strangely. But it's stuck on an old Lollipop build and has been for a long time, and now always will. We can only hope they release sources so somebody can actually attempt to port something modern to it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

minusX posted:

Did LTE. You have to find a preowned one as the LTE model was discontinued. I picked one up at Swappa and it works really well, but I've heard a lot of issues with Wifi.

I wonder if yours got the early update that was causing WiFi problems and got pulled?

Mine has been rock solid both on wifi and LTE using the ROW update (Since AT&T are dickbags) to Marshmallow.

Haven't had any of the aforementioned issues with performance. Chugging through HL2 without any problems or even getting warm.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

AlexDeGruven posted:

I wonder if yours got the early update that was causing WiFi problems and got pulled?

Mine has been rock solid both on wifi and LTE using the ROW update (Since AT&T are dickbags) to Marshmallow.

Haven't had any of the aforementioned issues with performance. Chugging through HL2 without any problems or even getting warm.

I haven't personally had issues, I've just heard of people talk about it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My Nexus 10's battery lasts like 3½ hours these days. Replacement batteries (SP3496A8H) don't seem to be available or the price for a new one is like 200€. Well I guess this is one way to deprecate old hardware...

Pity Pixel C is so hideously expensive. 400€ would be okayish, but no, it's 600€ :negative:

Maybe I should just buy and ipad. At least Apple doesn't stop servicing and updating them anytime soon.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

My Nexus 10's battery lasts like 3½ hours these days. Replacement batteries (SP3496A8H) don't seem to be available or the price for a new one is like 200€. Well I guess this is one way to deprecate old hardware...

Pity Pixel C is so hideously expensive. 400€ would be okayish, but no, it's 600€ :negative:

Maybe I should just buy and ipad. At least Apple doesn't stop servicing and updating them anytime soon.

Does Swappa work in non usa countries? I got my pixel c for 300$ in mint condition off of it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Does Swappa work in non usa countries? I got my pixel c for 300$ in mint condition off of it.

I live in Finland, so even if it worked customs would slap an import tax and vat on top of the device and hideously expensive postage fees. Ipad Air 2 s actually a lot cheaper than Pixel C here...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

I live in Finland, so even if it worked customs would slap an import tax and vat on top of the device and hideously expensive postage fees. Ipad Air 2 s actually a lot cheaper than Pixel C here...

The iPad is a great tablet, I would go with it if it's cheaper. :shrug:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

The iPad is a great tablet, I would go with it if it's cheaper. :shrug:

Android Tablet Thread: Just buy an iPad

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

Android Tablet Thread: Just buy an iPad

Or a Surface, depends on the user. This has been a problem for awhile now - Android teaming up with tablet manufacturers for a solidly mediocre experience.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm still using my Nexus 10. Recently upgraded it to Cyanogenmod w/Android 6.0.1 from xda-developer and man, some of these features are cool. Drag down the status bar and move around it left and right to adjust brightness is already awesome.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Or a Surface, depends on the user. This has been a problem for awhile now - Android teaming up with tablet manufacturers for a solidly mediocre experience.

The Surface however is a terrible tablet. A great hybrid and capable, light laptop, but the tablet software, UI and OS part sucks rear end. I regularly have to get the keyboard cover just to leave fullscreen browser mode for example (since 80 % of stuff you have to do there, since there are nearly no touch-optimized Apps it is a quite common problem). I take my Pixel C over it as tablet any day (its great as smart screen though).

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Anyone using Android on a Chromebook? How's it working for you?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

Anyone using Android on a Chromebook? How's it working for you?

I am. I just bought an ASUS Flip and you can enable the Dev Channel to get the google play store. I like it. It works very similarly to how you would expect.

I'm using Awful app to write this post (keyboard is a bit small...). Basically, you can install chrome apps just like any other chromebook and you can also go into google play (which is its own app) and search for apps or view your own apps that you've installed on other devices. It basically works just like the google play store works on my Nexus 9.

Each app launches into tablet mode in a smaller than maximized state. But there's a minimize, maximize, close buttons at the top right of each app just like you'll find on programs/browsers in a windows environment. You can open multiple apps and at least in the case of the ASUS Flip, there's a dedicated button to view all open apps.

When you're looking for apps in the app store, you can sort of tell which ones will or will not work on your device. On the right when you're viewing apps you've searched, it'll say, "Free" or "Purchased" or whatever. But sometimes that's blank which means you can not install. This is probably how it works for most devices, but I usually buy Nexus devices so I might not see that very often.

Overall, it's a good experience. I have only installed 20 or so apps, including the Microsoft suite and they've all worked. I think in a weeks worth of use I might have had one crash or weirdness that I think was associated with an android app.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

beerinator posted:

This is probably how it works for most devices, but I usually buy Nexus devices so I might not see that very often.
Just for reference, this is not how it works on Android. Apps simply do not appear at all in listings if they are not compatible with the current device.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm not sure that's right unless you're simply browsing instead of searching. There are apps I have on my phone that aren't compatible with my tablet, but I can still search for them and it doesn't tell me they're incompatible until I actually try to download and install.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm not sure that's right unless you're simply browsing instead of searching. There are apps I have on my phone that aren't compatible with my tablet, but I can still search for them and it doesn't tell me they're incompatible until I actually try to download and install.

You can see apps in the Play Store on your tablet that aren't compatible with your tablet? I sure can't.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You can see apps in the Play Store on your tablet that aren't compatible with your tablet? I sure can't.

You can in the web store if they're not delisted, or if they're on your history even if they are.

Not really the same thing as the device play store, though, which in my experience is pretty serious about not showing you stuff you can't run.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah the app I'm thinking of is for my security cameras. Works fine on my phone, but when I tried to put it on my tablet I found it in the Play Store as usual, but it wouldn't allow me to download/install it. Another example is the Microsoft RDP app, works fine on almost every device I own, except this one specific tablet. With that one I can download and install no problem direct from the Play Store, but the app will not actually run on the tablet.

edit: now that I'm thinking about it, I think the RDP app wouldn't work because that tablet has a way old version of Android on it, I think 4.1.1 maybe. With the camera app it specifically said "not compatible with this device" on my Shield.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 11, 2016

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
So this is what it looks like on a chromebook.

This is looking at my recently downloaded apps (All Apps - on any android device). Note the app Beme which doesn't say "Free" or whatever to the right.

And then if I search for Beme I get this:

And for those who wonder, if I click through to the app page, it just says that it's not compatible with this device.

beerinator fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 11, 2016

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I asked something similar a while ago but just checking to see if things have changed.

Is there a Samsung tablet that is essentially the equivalent to the Galaxy S7?

What I'm looking for is an 8 or 10 inch tablet, with at least 32GB storage, ideally an SD card slot, and an AMOLED screen would be nice. Oh, and I want it running Android 6.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I asked something similar a while ago but just checking to see if things have changed.

Is there a Samsung tablet that is essentially the equivalent to the Galaxy S7?

What I'm looking for is an 8 or 10 inch tablet, with at least 32GB storage, ideally an SD card slot, and an AMOLED screen would be nice. Oh, and I want it running Android 6.

Tab S2 8 or 9.7 (I know the UK has had Marshmallow, no idea about elsewhere offhand)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I thought so. Gonna hold off for a while to see if an S3 Tab appears soon. Are the Galaxy Tab speakers any good? The Nexus 7 ones are pretty weak.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
So has anyone else had issues flashing a custom rom to an Amazon Fire running FireOS 5.1.2? I'm using the rootjunky super tool and when it tries to flash to TWRP or CM recovery the command promt returns this:
code:
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 0.238s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: unknown command)
finished. total time: 0.247s

[*] CM/TWRP (whichever I try to load) Recovery is booting please wait. 
The fire just hangs on a black screen that says:
code:
USB Transferring...
USB Transmission OK  Time:224ms Vel:32045KB/s
I have both the ADB and Fastboot drivers installed correctly and the Fire is rooted, it just wont load a custom recovery so I can flash a rom. It's been a while since I've had an android device, let alone rooted one (when I had an Evo 4G was the last time I rooted), so I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if there is an easier way to go about this. Anyone else run into this problem?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Anyone else's Pixel C arrive with a totally depleted battery? I broke down and bought one during the final few hours of the developer discount. It's really nice, but I've never got a new phone or tablet that wouldn't power on out of the box with ~30% battery or so. It's a bit disconcerting that it wouldn't even give me the low battery icon when pushing the button, it was just totally dead. Took a good half hour of being plugged in before it would do anything. Is that normal? I guess my concern would be battery longevity if it sat depleted like that for a long time.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

n.. posted:

Anyone else's Pixel C arrive with a totally depleted battery? I broke down and bought one during the final few hours of the developer discount. It's really nice, but I've never got a new phone or tablet that wouldn't power on out of the box with ~30% battery or so. It's a bit disconcerting that it wouldn't even give me the low battery icon when pushing the button, it was just totally dead. Took a good half hour of being plugged in before it would do anything. Is that normal? I guess my concern would be battery longevity if it sat depleted like that for a long time.

Mine arrived like this (in the UK if it matters). After charging and updating, the battery went down really quickly at first, like 2% an hour while not in use, with the battery stats screen saying it was caused by "Android OS". But after turning it off and on that problem never happened again and the battery life has been above average for an Android tablet (in my anecdotal experience).

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Is there, or has there ever been rumors of, a Google Play Books e-reader? Like, just a simple, small device with crazy battery life that can access your GPB library. I recently re-purposed my 2013 N7 into one with Nova Launcher, and it does it's job but I'd love essentially a Google Kindle.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Luchadork posted:

Is there, or has there ever been rumors of, a Google Play Books e-reader? Like, just a simple, small device with crazy battery life that can access your GPB library. I recently re-purposed my 2013 N7 into one with Nova Launcher, and it does it's job but I'd love essentially a Google Kindle.

There was the iRiver Story HD which was that, it came out in 2011. But it really was sucky compared to the Kindles out at the time. Since then there's been a few other no-name companies producing ereaders that integrate with the Google Play Books store heavily, but none of them are really good.

Kindle and Kobo are the only really good ereader brands around. GPB stuff straight up doesn't work with Kindles (though if you use Calibre, it's easy to convert all your GPB books over), and while you can use GPB stuff with Kobo devices it's much more cumbersome than using their native store.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
So, there's probably another Shield Tablet coming out soon right? I wanted to pick one up, but it's sold out on Amazon, Best Buy, and Newegg's sites...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NVIDIA is supposedly supplying a Pascal-powered Tegra for the Nintendo NX, so presumably that'll also power a new Shield tablet as well.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Are there any good tweaks to get Chrome to run a little smoother on my N7 2013? It really chugs on image/video-heavy pages. Tried Forefox with uBlock but it't not much better.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So, there's probably another Shield Tablet coming out soon right? I wanted to pick one up, but it's sold out on Amazon, Best Buy, and Newegg's sites...
I got my LTE version from Swappa, but at this point waiting might be best.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Augmented Dickey posted:

Are there any good tweaks to get Chrome to run a little smoother on my N7 2013? It really chugs on image/video-heavy pages. Tried Forefox with uBlock but it't not much better.

I mostly use Opera on my N7 2013. Chrome is a shitfest on every device I use it on.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Re: Shield Talk

I saw this article last week: NVIDIA Shield Tablet K1 is sold out everywhere… What’s up? and also this one NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet K1 Experiencing Production Delays

So basically it's either supply/demand or the new Nintendo project they're working on.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

JayKay posted:

Re: Shield Talk

I saw this article last week: NVIDIA Shield Tablet K1 is sold out everywhere… What’s up? and also this one NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet K1 Experiencing Production Delays

So basically it's either supply/demand or the new Nintendo project they're working on.

It seems to always be like that. A couple of months ago when getting mine I had to constantly check amazon and local electronics sites. Ended up ordering in one of those and waiting a month for it to actually materialize.

Hopefully this means the device is doing well and Nvidia will make new models so we can non-poo poo tablets at affordable prices.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I saw that they had a new model float through the FCC for clearance back in May, so I might just stick it out a bit longer until around October. I would assume they'd want to get a new model out for the holidays if they were planning on releasing one this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

How come the Android tablet market is such a poo poo show at the moment?