Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

The DA is finally asking for the pepper hamilton report

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

pillsburysoldier posted:

If we've learned anything from watching Baylor it's that asking nicely is unnecessary when you can just take it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
But really, this is awesome and I hope the Pepper Hamilton report is made public.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

about drat time

Is this an asking thing or demanding thing?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

According to SI

The DA’s office has reportedly informally requested access to the report in order to gain information regarding further crimes committed by student-athletes.

Looks like asking

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
if the DA gets it you can FOIA that poo poo with the quickness cant you?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scionix posted:

if the DA gets it you can FOIA that poo poo with the quickness cant you?

Hard to say, if it's about any ongoing investigation(s) it may not be FOIA-able.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DJExile posted:

Hard to say, if it's about any ongoing investigation(s) it may not be FOIA-able.

Usually that is left up to a judge (see: Spotlight), but as soon as the investigation is over... Most of that stuff becomes fair game.

And the DA requesting PH's full report and/or their notes used to create the summary report is a precursor to the DA asking the presiding judge to order Baylor/PH to turn over the report/notes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Would anything (besides decency) have prevented Baylor seeing the oral presentation and saying, "great job, now destroy all of your notes"?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

Would anything (besides decency) have prevented Baylor seeing the oral presentation and saying, "great job, now destroy all of your notes"?

That's basically what they did.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

kayakyakr posted:

That's basically what they did.

Yeah, but if the DA is sniffing around now there's the possibility of a court order (maybe, you probably know the law more than me), then it's going to be an important distinction whether if basically did it (i.e., boxed boxed the investigation materials up somewhere) or if they literally shredded them.

Edit: I'm not saying one is okay and one isn't, I'm saying that it looks like Baylor may be forced into revealing which it was.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 4, 2016

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Seriously, stop posting

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

General Dog posted:

Yeah, but if the DA is sniffing around now there's the possibility of a court order (maybe, you probably know the law more than me), then it's going to be an important distinction whether if basically did it (i.e., boxed boxed the investigation materials up somewhere) or if they literally shredded them.

I'm starting to wonder if you're actually on the Board of Regents.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Thermos H Christ posted:

Yes it's a good thing that it was handled by the cops instead of the AD, that was my whole point. The prof should have called the police first. Picking up the phone to call the AD not just once but several times and only going to the police as a last resort would suggest that some very alarming behavior is still being referred to the AD instead of the cops.

That's funny, he didn't dial out to 911. He was trying to reach a private number.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

Yes. They were obviously well aware that they were facing multiple lawsuits from alleged victims and the notes would contain information relevant to those lawsuits. There's a concept called spoliation of evidence. If a judge finds that Baylor deliberately destroyed documents to avoid having them examined by that judge and/or handed over to the plaintiff during discovery, the judge can assume that whatever was in those documents was the worst possible thing for Baylor.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
left without comment: http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...o-contact-order

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Holy poo poo, I'm dumbfounded as to just how bad Baylor is at properly dealing with this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If Baylor doesn't get the death penalty for this then the penalty doesn't exist anymore.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
*in bob barker voice w/lights and sirens blinking* GENERAL DOG STEP ON DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAWN

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The death penalty isn't for criminal matters, nor should it be. Baylor is reprehensible but you really don't want the NCAA getting into legal/criminal issues.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I wonder how General Dog will spin and defend and rationalize this while I wish he wouldn't and would instead Stop Posting

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo, their title IX investigation ended with the assault victim being forced to use an alternate exit from class, and needing permission to go to any building outside a designated class time. That is really hosed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DJExile posted:

The death penalty isn't for criminal matters, nor should it be. Baylor is reprehensible but you really don't want the NCAA getting into legal/criminal issues.

The NCAA issue is that the administration was taking reports against athletes and then punishing the reporter. If you do that you don't deserve a sports program.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

DJExile posted:

Yes, good point, it should be the DOJ rather than the NCAA that erases Baylor and Waco from the face of the Earth.

Cut to Loretta Lynch speaking to Janet Reno's mask: "Show me again the power of the flames... and I'll let nothing stand in our way. Show me, and I will finish what you started."

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I wouldn't be surprised if all the lawsuits and DoJ investigation of Baylor doesn't turn up something damming (from a NCAA standpoint). This is a school where the administration was 100% with covering up attacks against their own student body if it meant scoring another touch down or two per game. That they would threaten rape victims but then refuse to violate NCAA regulations seems silly to me.

There was some rumor floating around (probably just grump) about Baylor giving out trucks to top recruits but at this point I wouldn't be surprised at anything.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Numlock posted:

There was some rumor floating around (probably just grump) about Baylor giving out trucks to top recruits but at this point I wouldn't be surprised at anything.

Not rumor, all surrounds Jarrett Stidham. It's all very creepy and weird.

Stidham was living with Matt Copeland in Stephenville, who is a Baylor alumni & booster. He worked at Copeland's Barefoot Athletics stores. The major investor that allowed Barefoot Athletics to expand into Waco was Art Briles.

Stidham switched commits from TTU to BU and posted about his new truck soon after. Remember: this is a kid from a modest family whose parents are separated, living in different towns.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
There are a bunch of rumors on the Auburn boards that Briles son is going to be the OC at Auburn next year. I really, really hope those are just rumors. I honestly don't see how any team could take on that staff, but I guess people really want to win games.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Duckaerobics posted:

There are a bunch of rumors on the Auburn boards that Briles son is going to be the OC at Auburn next year. I really, really hope those are just rumors. I honestly don't see how any team could take on that staff, but I guess people really want to win games.

Auburn is especially good at the moral retardation it takes to post poo poo about #fambly while blatantly paying for recruits and taking in really shady JUCO dudes so not surpised at all

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Wasn't Art Briles seen kibbutzing with Auburn a while back?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think Briles has been to Auburn since he was dismissed, but I know Malzahn was talking shop with him during the spring. The troubling thing to me is that he keeps sending former Baylor players/recruits our way. Hopefully he's telling them that Gus is a good coach, and not "I'll be there next year".

The rumor I've been hearing is his son will replace Lashlee and he will be in an off field position.

I think a lot of it is just people on the internet being stupid, but I wouldn't be super surprised about the son coming and that scares me.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Briles would certainly help build a fence around Auburn's primary recruiting base (Georgia prisons)

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Can't believe Baylor is going to personally give the election to Trump by releasing the report that they did themselves privately and it having no damning evidence in it besides links to Hillary Clinton and all the rigamarole shes been raising about our hardworking athletes. Giving government secrets out on her hotmail account is nothing compared to bringing down the great Baylor Team that everyone knows and loves due to HGTV.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

anne frank fanfic posted:

Can't believe Baylor is going to personally give the election to Trump by releasing the report that they did themselves privately and it having no damning evidence in it besides links to Hillary Clinton and all the rigamarole shes been raising about our hardworking athletes. Giving government secrets out on her hotmail account is nothing compared to bringing down the great Baylor Team that everyone knows and loves due to HGTV.

Found Boosted's alt account

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Jesus Christ Baylor. Not even athletics related:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...twitter-premium

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Scionix posted:

Auburn is especially good at the moral retardation it takes to post poo poo about #fambly while blatantly paying for recruits and taking in really shady JUCO dudes so not surpised at all
Your school took the dude with a pending DV charge so just shut the gently caress up. And oh, the immortality of paying a player!

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Your school took the dude with a pending DV charge so just shut the gently caress up. And oh, the immortality of paying a player!

and he never took a snap

im sure gene chizik was just a very gifted recruiter tho

also charles barkley just made a video praising nick saban's disciplinary system so :smug:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

lol the immortality

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Raku posted:

lol the immortality
My syncretic faith teaches that bagmen are first among the 144,000 elect who rule planet Kolob for eternity, plz do not mock my religion

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol you still recruited him, regardless of him taking a snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I wonder if the Baylor Athletic Department has one of those "Days without a workplace injury" clocks on the wall except it's for sexual assaults instead.

• Locked thread