Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Saoshyant posted:

All Yakuza games have better everything than 1, which is understandable -- it was the foundation of all that came later, but it was rather rough. Thankfully, they remade it in Kiwami. And maybe, maybe one day we will get that one too!

I certainly hope since from what I hear 0 is more a prequel to Kiwami than it is to 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

Apparently the one thing that makes Kazuma actually afraid is a crossdresser.

Stay classy, game.
He's just scarred from his experiences with hostess Majima in Kiwami.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

mikeycp posted:

I certainly hope since from what I hear 0 is more a prequel to Kiwami than it is to 1.
Other way around really; Kiwami had to be made as a sequel to 0 since 0 left a bunch of new loose ends.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Apparently the one thing that makes Kazuma actually afraid is a crossdresser.

Stay classy, game.

I like the way it was done in Ishin, only. Rest of the times it's so predictable:

1 - Go here and listen to the 2 men having a conversation. They talk about a guy with a sickle in Mukurogai. Apparently everyone who's ever gone after him has never returned, because he's so tough.

2- Go here and hear the mother and child talking. Ryoma steps in and asks what's wrong. The mother says her husband went to Mukurogai to defeat the sickle guy, but he hasn't returned and she fears the worst. The child asks Ryoma to save his father. Ryoma says he'll go over there.

3- Enter Mukurogai via the gate and Ryoma bumps into someone. Ryoma tells him he's here to meet the sickle guy. The man leads Ryoma to him. This isn't quite what Ryoma expected - he was expecting a fighter who uses a sickle, but instead he meets a group of transvestites.

Time to explain what the hell's going on (it's yet another pun/play on words). Everyone mistakingly thought this guy in Mukurogai was a "Sickle (Kama) user". But it turns out he's just the commander of a group called "okama" - "okama" is a term for male transvestite and/or homosexual.

Ryoma tries to leave, saying this isn't how he rolls, then they attack him.

After the fight Ryoma explains he's just here to look for someone who came here a few days ago. Ryoma tells the man that his wife and child are waiting for him, so he should return home. But the man says he's not a father - he's "Konoha" and has decided to spend the rest of his life here. He says he was tired of the life he had, so he ran away from it all. The commander tells him if he had known he had a family he would never have let him in and tells him to go back to them.

Back at 2, the man tells Ryoma he's going to try hard to be a father again. He apologises to Ryoma for the trouble he caused him and gives him a Pot Sound Opportunity. You are also rewarded with 350 Dharma.

When I say Ishin does good things worth experiencing I really mean it:
The man apologises to Ryoma and says he actually is trying to run a legit business, with a brothel aimed at people who are into Sumo Wrestlers.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

That sounds kinda neat, but Ishin's one of the games we're never getting, right?

Guess I'd better learn Japanese.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

There's also that transgendered informant who helps out Tanimura in Yakuza 4.

I want a Yakuza spinoff game focused on the police, where Tanimura, Date and Sayama are the protagonists.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I completely missed this :psyduck:
The Yakuza series is no stranger to getting remastered titles. In Japan, Yakuza 1, and 2 were all remastered for the PlayStation 3 and had sold well commercially. According to a livestream that was streamed earlier this week, Producer Toshihiro Nagoshi stated that Yakuza: Kiwami has sold very well and SEGA is considering ways to remake Yakuza 2,3,4, and 5 for PlayStation 4.
http://www.seganerds.com/2016/07/31/sega-is-considering-remaking-yakuza-2-3-4-and-5-for-ps4/

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
lol but at the same fighting tigers in HD is incredibly tempting.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

I completely missed this :psyduck:
The Yakuza series is no stranger to getting remastered titles. In Japan, Yakuza 1, and 2 were all remastered for the PlayStation 3 and had sold well commercially. According to a livestream that was streamed earlier this week, Producer Toshihiro Nagoshi stated that Yakuza: Kiwami has sold very well and SEGA is considering ways to remake Yakuza 2,3,4, and 5 for PlayStation 4.
http://www.seganerds.com/2016/07/31/sega-is-considering-remaking-yakuza-2-3-4-and-5-for-ps4/

And yet we probably won't get any of them. Goddammit Sega.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For 3 through 5 I'd be fine with just resolution, texture quality and frame rate up I think.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I want a Yakuza spinoff game focused on the police, where Tanimura, Date and Sayama are the protagonists.

Hell yeah, that'd own.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

There's also that transgendered informant who helps out Tanimura in Yakuza 4.

I've suggested this a thousand times, and it's never going to happen. People didn't seem to like Tanimura, and Sayama went back to her home planet. I just want to play something like this so dang bad.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
There's always Sleeping Dogs.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Tanimura had by far my favorite moveset in 4. It was so fun!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I don't love Tanimura's style as much as Akiyama, but as a character he's been just as fun as the rest, so it makes me sad that he alone disappeared after 4. I'll also wholly admit my not liking his style may be just down to not having it fully learned yet.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Take some time to learn the timing and whoo boy does that poo poo get fun.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I don't like Akiyama much because all his heat moves go on foreeever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so is 6 coming out to the west maybe? also thinking about just ordering yakuza 1 remake off amazon because apperently its not regionlocked.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So is 6 coming out to the west maybe?

I'd say chances are decently up there, didn't Sony third party or someone say that response to getting 5 alone was pretty crazy good for what these games are?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

I'd say chances are decently up there, didn't Sony third party or someone say that response to getting 5 alone was pretty crazy good for what these games are?

Good enough to get us 0! (And hopefully Kiwami)

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Been watching that Kenzan LP by Egomaniac and it's so good, Kiryu is kinda like an Edo period Geralt of Rivia.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

mikeycp posted:

Tanimura's fight theme was also the best in the whole soundtrack by far. Nothing felt more right when chaining parrys and knocking dudes into other dudes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so is 6 coming out to the west maybe? also thinking about just ordering yakuza 1 remake off amazon because apperently its not regionlocked.

The only only one we know is definitely coming west is 0. There are no region locked PS4 games that I'm aware of.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In my experience Amazon usually won't ship video games abroad though, at least .jp to America. It will say "cannot ship to this address, please choose another address".

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Samurai Sanders posted:

In my experience Amazon usually won't ship video games abroad though, at least .jp to America. It will say "cannot ship to this address, please choose another address".

Didn't that change recently?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lucinice posted:

Didn't that change recently?
Beats me; I have lived in Japan for the last year.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It changed then it changed back in like the space of a month.

Doesn't matter though because Amazon.com sells Japanese imports, at least of semi-popular games like Yakuza.
And there's plenty of other places to get it if they don't.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

There are Japanese imports sold on the US Amazon website, so you don't really need to use the .jp one. That's how I got my imported games.

But I don't see the Yakuza-branded consoles on there. :(

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure when it happened, but physical Yakuza 0 is now up for pre-order on bestbuy.com, amazon.com, etc.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

mikeycp posted:

Tanimura had by far my favorite moveset in 4. It was so fun!

mikeycp posted:

I agree with these posts. It was tough to get used to at first, because Yakuza games have a certain play style hammered into you that you need to overcome slightly for it. Goddamn was it fun once you got the timing down, though. Being able to counter and have those pass-throughs were so much more fun than just blocking and dodging alone.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I beat Yakuza 3.

Holy poo poo it was a really good game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You have seen nothing yet, brother.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Playing as saejima in 5.

I just punched a goddamn bear.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
New player reactions are always magical :allears:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

You have seen nothing yet, brother.

I was not prepared for fighting a goddamn bull or the cool as gently caress QTE against the CIA dude with the dual pistols.

Gonna start 4 tomorrow, and go onto 5 from there.

This series is sooooooo gooooooooooood

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

I beat Yakuza 3.

Holy poo poo it was a really good game.

There are people who say that 3 is terrible and they are very wrong and also dumb.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I just beat the Saejima part. Goddamn, that dude is such a raging bear, ironically, just grabbing fuckers and slamming them hither and thither like a loving coked out Japanese Obelix.

The contrast with what comes after that is just astounding though. Not sure how well I'm gonna like it but just the whiplash between the sorta stereotypical masculine poo poo (Hunting! Bears! Brotherhood!) and now to, well, that, is certainly interesting. I've always found it vaguely irritating how there's such a noticeable lack of good female characters in the game so I'm quite looking forward to be proven to be doubting Thomas tho (I liked female cop and female race driver and of course Hana-chan is a vibrant orchid in the field of dull daisies, but I was rather hoping that the first female character would be like, a half-Japanese Brazilian lady kicking rear end and taking names or something)

Just please tell me there's no awful minigame on the level of the snowball one. Christ, that one was just, what the heck was the point even? A bronze trophy?

And please please please tell me that there's a model swap available where Saejima does Harukas thing. Or of Haruka beating up the bear, tia

mikeycp posted:

There are people who say that 3 is terrible and they are very wrong and also dumb.
I still sometimes play Clay Doll on the Cradle in my car to get pumped up like a motherfucker. Goddamn, that game is so loving great, even though the latter part makes no goddamn loving sense.

BURACKU MONDEIIIIII

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Haruka's chapter is the best chapter in the game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the most hilarious part of yakuza 5 was how they admitted the idol industry is completely mobbed up but always shied away from saying why yakuza would care about promoting idols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Serious Frolicking posted:

the most hilarious part of yakuza 5 was how they admitted the idol industry is completely mobbed up but always shied away from saying why yakuza would care about promoting idols.

They just care about the arts, like Majima!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFoNwoMxjY

• Locked thread