Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
This, essentially. Nobody's going to read your cover letter unless they already like your resume anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Mak0rz posted:

If a place asks to email a cover letter and resume, what's the best way to tackle it? Attach them both as separate documents? Combine them into one attachment as a resume with a cover letter as the first page? Or just attach the resume and then write the letter in the body of the email?

So far I've been attaching them as separate documents and writing the cover letter in the body of the email as well, stating that it's also attached as a Word document if that's preferable. I always do this so that they're faced with the letter right away but also have a version for printing if they need it.

This is probably stupid but like most other people here I'm pretty concerned with doing things As Correct as Possible so I figured I'd ask anyway because I can't really afford to gently caress anything up no matter how menial it is.

I've been writing my cover letters into my emails with an attached resume and it hasn't given me any trouble.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I've always cross stiched my cover letter onto a wall ornament and mailed it to the companies CEO's mother, but I guess whatever works for you weirdos.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah I figured this would be the response. Good to know I'm obsessing over nothing. Thanks!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I use the same canned cover letter for every Taleo site because I know that employers put as much effort into reading them as I did copy/pasting them.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I wrap my cover letter around a brick and throw it through the windows of the company I'm applying to.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Here are a selection of comments from my boss. Direct quotes.

I am planning on quitting today with no notice, once I receive my offer letter (verbally accepted an offer last night). I am leaving my position due to ongoing harassment by my supervisor.

How should I manage leaving? I'd like to be done today with a good reference.

Any tips on what to say? I was going to meet at HR this afternoon.
Should I give them this document?

Cross posted to negotiation thread

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 29, 2016

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Quandary posted:

I've always cross stiched my cover letter onto a wall ornament and mailed it to the companies CEO's mother, but I guess whatever works for you weirdos.

I could get behind this, I hate cover letters but love crafts! I've always fretted over customizing my cover letter for each company, even though I know it's probably gotten me a couple interviews, it's hard to tell when its going to make a difference or not... I feel like everything just disappears into an HR black hole these days.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Bitchkrieg posted:

I am planning on quitting today with no notice, once I receive my offer letter (verbally accepted an offer last night). I am leaving my position due to ongoing harassment by my supervisor.

Wow. No tips, just condolences and congrats for getting out of there!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Jesus, you must be a saint for putting up with that poo poo as long as you did.

I am so sorry you had to deal with that :stonk:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Bitchkrieg posted:

I'm not sure that there's something you can say that will allow you to quit with no notice and walk away with a good future reference.

Also, if I were to quit with no notice, I'd do so over email on my way out the door or from home that night ... because at that point, I'm not interested in having a conversation. (I've thought about this, because my boss is a lot like yours, but I ultimately gave notice. 4 more days!) I'm interested to see what others would say, though.

oh and I lol'd at this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i'm also sorry you were brutally owned by your boss in this instance:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Agree.

For context: He was quoting the podcast The Dollop, and used that to explain to our co-worker what "negging" is.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Wait what the actual gently caress? This isn't just highly inappropriate, isn't it outright breaking labour regulation?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The good references in this scenario aren't gonna come from the supervisor.

Joda posted:

Wait what the actual gently caress? This isn't just highly inappropriate, isn't it outright breaking labour regulation?

Well I imagine Bitchkrieg is in the USA... therefore what regulations? :yayclod:

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

air- posted:

Well I imagine Bitchkrieg is in the USA... therefore what regulations? :yayclod:

Yes, I'm in an at-will state.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I have a question on disabilities. I am a goon and therefore have diabetes. The American Diabetes Association says that having any form of diabetes is a disability. Most of the job application sites I've been working through are asking if I am disabled.

Is claiming diabetes a bad move?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Bitchkrieg posted:

My jaw was agape the entire time I read that link. You need to report that fucker ASAP.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Update on the interview reimbursement:

Didn't have to resort to a demand letter, as I got an email from the company's customer service department asking me to verify my address and information. Seems as if they will mail me a check once they get validation. Overall, it looks like they just took a very long time to process the paperwork, which is OK. However, I'm still peeved that in all my correspondences in which I simply asked "does the paperwork just take a long time to process?" no one could be loving bothered to at least tell me as much. Worst recruiting team ever.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Keith Stone posted:

I have a question on disabilities. I am a goon and therefore have diabetes. The American Diabetes Association says that having any form of diabetes is a disability. Most of the job application sites I've been working through are asking if I am disabled.

Some places are so desperate to recruit a mix of ppl that they offer a guaranteed interview scheme to ppl with disabilities. So whack it down and see what happens

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Keith Stone posted:

My ex had Type 1 and claimed it on all his applications. It is a legit disability. Type 2 is pretty different but also a disability, I don't know why it would be a bad move.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Susical posted:

My ex had Type 1 and claimed it on all his applications. It is a legit disability. Type 2 is pretty different but also a disability, I don't know why it would be a bad move.

Yea but he sucked. Wsup susical

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 31, 2016

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Type 2 isn't a disability if you have it because you're probably fat and that's not a disability either

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

vyst posted:

Type 2 isn't a disability if you have it because you're probably fat and that's not a disability either
:gb2gbs:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've only had one job my entire life, and it was for 10 years. Am I at a extreme disadvantage if I only list one place of employment? I didn't do the same thing for 10 years, had a variety of tasks, just kind of wondering the best way to do this on a resume.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Abu Dave posted:

I've only had one job my entire life, and it was for 10 years. Am I at a extreme disadvantage if I only list one place of employment? I didn't do the same thing for 10 years, had a variety of tasks, just kind of wondering the best way to do this on a resume.

Show the progression/increase in responsibilities over time. If anything that is a good thing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thanks. I'll try my hand at it then!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I have an application question: I'm looking at positions at a couple relatively large employers in the area, where their job boards basically have dozens of almost identical listings because every team and department's analyst or QA or whatnot roles are created independently.

I'm not shooting myself in the foot by applying to loads of these supposing I'm qualified, right? Short of making human contact with someone who can go "you're qualified for these 10 I'll pass your info on" I'm not sure how else to go about it, and applying to one or two and waiting seems like a bad use of time.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

the yeti posted:

I have an application question: I'm looking at positions at a couple relatively large employers in the area, where their job boards basically have dozens of almost identical listings because every team and department's analyst or QA or whatnot roles are created independently.

I'm not shooting myself in the foot by applying to loads of these supposing I'm qualified, right? Short of making human contact with someone who can go "you're qualified for these 10 I'll pass your info on" I'm not sure how else to go about it, and applying to one or two and waiting seems like a bad use of time.

I applied to 7 jobs online at my current company. They weren't all the same job but it certainly didn't hurt me.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

the yeti posted:

No, apply to them all. If you get a phone screen, mention that you've applied to a lot of jobs at that company because they're all similar but created independently. If you get a positive response from a phone screen or on-site interview but ultimately don't wind up getting a job, ask if the hiring manager thinks you'd be a good fit at another role in that company. They may pass along your resume to another hiring manager along with a recommendation.

I've done this in the past. Like when I was hiring a chemist and interviewed a great formulator. I'd pass the formulator's resume off to the applications guys and they'd appreciate that they didn't have to start from scratch on a hire. Sometimes even before they posted the position.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
I was asked by a recruiter to turn my revenue numbers into percentages based on plan, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to word it.

My annual sales plan is over 80,000 and I'm 25% of the way there within the first month.

Monthly breakdown that puts it around 7k and so far I've written 20,000.

How can I word those so they come across as percentages and statements that stick out to recruiters and hiring manager?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
One sec.

Xzzz

z
De,as
Cascaded
X s EV as, s
, VC s vs see.
"1
Z.
I , z vs
D
l
...w
...'

'.
_.

Youve delivered just under 300%.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Breath Ray posted:

One sec.

Xzzz

z
De,as
Cascaded
X s EV as, s
, VC s vs see.
"1
Z.
I , z vs
D
l
...w
...'

'.
_.

Youve delivered just under 300%.

I know that but how do put that in words and a time frame that makes sense?

I promise I'm not this dumb but my brain isn't comprehending this for some reason and everything i try to type out doesnt seem to make any sense.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Met my monthly sales target in a week.

OR

Exceeded my sales target by 300%.

Either way the how is prob more important from a recruiter's pov ie how did you get so efficient and is it sustainable

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The latter is a much better way of phrasing it since the former sort of implies you landed one whale.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If you were interested in a candidate for a position who had a good word from a hiring manager in a different division of your organization, and that hiring manager told you that the candidate was their close second choice and their references were all glowing, would you still call that candidate's references for yourself or would the manager's word be enough?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Good queation BD. Will this person become part of a team you manage? Do you have time to call their references? If you answered no to either of these, haul that reject aboard and give her a desk with a view.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Bluedeanie posted:

If you were interested in a candidate for a position who had a good word from a hiring manager in a different division of your organization, and that hiring manager told you that the candidate was their close second choice and their references were all glowing, would you still call that candidate's references for yourself or would the manager's word be enough?

Depends on how much I trust the manager. I know some hiring managers would try to install people loyal to them or who owe them favors on my team. But there are also some hiring managers who'd I'd take a recommendation blindly.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The latter is a much better way of phrasing it since the former sort of implies you landed one whale.
I also don't think that talking about percentages of yearly sales targets in the context of sub-year periods is useful, at all. Many sectors see seasonal sales. How many pools get sold in December?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Vulture Culture posted:

I also don't think that talking about percentages of yearly sales targets in the context of sub-year periods is useful, at all. Many sectors see seasonal sales. How many pools get sold in December?

Also a good point!