Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He apparently has a Empire of the Petal Throne fanzine thing going now, and used to contribute to "The Black Gate." Last post there was January of last year. https://www.blackgate.com/2015/01/13/the-shade-of-klarkash-ton/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Covok posted:

IIRC, there was some controversy about the ACKS people.

The main thing I remember hearing about ACKS is that The Escapist ran articles about it without making it clear that ACKS' authors were also editors at The Escapist. Other than that? Well, they're editors at The Escapist and they were willingly associated with Zak S for a long time. I'm not sure you need any more reason than that to dislike them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

quote:

In recent years, a small town of about 1,000 residents has grown around the tower. Locals refer to their community as “the Base,” but outsiders call the town “the Beanstalk” and the people that live there “Beaners.” Most Beaners are farmers, growing wheat and, ironically, beans in the flat region around the tower. The people don’t know how to access the interior of the base, but they have built wooden structures and scaffolding around it, which support observation platforms and places for religious rites. There is no wall around the town, but dangerous beasts and other threats seem to avoid the area most of the time.

Numenera, Page 186.

Why did no one catch this?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that doesn't strike me as especially ironic.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Jesus Christ. :eek:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This line may have actually killed the entire campaign. GM is now 50/50 on continuing the campaign now.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Covok posted:

This line may have actually killed the entire campaign. GM is now 50/50 on continuing the campaign now.

So, is it like rain... on your wedding day?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yep, campaign officially canceled now.

Funniest thing, this happened mid-game.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Covok posted:

Numenera, Page 186.

Why did no one catch this?

Oh, it was caught and complained about, but was just upstaged by the whole "Dude seriously" of Thunder Plains.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Christ, it's such a wasted opportunity, too.

To call them Stalkers instead, I mean.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Leperflesh posted:

Call them anything else, seriously.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

whydirt posted:

Speaking of which, has the Grognardia dude ever shown his face since disappearing in the middle of writing his megadungeon thing?

Maliszewski had a better explanation than most do for disappearing on his Kickstarter. His father died, which lead to basically a mental breakdown and his entire life going to poo poo for a year or longer. Definitely not ideal, but he wasn't just running away with the money like Nightfall or Far West.

Dwimmermount (the dungeon) did make it out in the end. Maliszewski handed it over to Autarch (the ACKS guys) to finish and publish, and they did. So again, another strike better than GMS.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

The main thing I remember hearing about ACKS is that The Escapist ran articles about it without making it clear that ACKS' authors were also editors at The Escapist. Other than that? Well, they're editors at The Escapist and they were willingly associated with Zak S for a long time. I'm not sure you need any more reason than that to dislike them.

ACKS author Alexander Macris was a GamerGate supporter too, helped inject the "Cultural Marxism" thing into said movement, and the Escapist forums were a huge gathering spot at the place before eventually moving on to Kotaku in Action and 8chan.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
No, there's already an official Stalker roleplaying game.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
If you have the capacity to write anything at all, literally anything beyond the realms of possibility, you'd think you'd do something more than soft mexican stereotypes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It also lead to the Escapists rolling exodus of video producers. Once they started asking people to accept less pay for the same content most of them were more than happy to have an excuse to gtfo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm looking forward to Monte Cook's next Numenera supplement where he goes into detail surrounding the society that's sprung up around ancient and sophisticated sub-aquatic settlements, known by others as "wetbacks."

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Libertad! posted:

ACKS author Alexander Macris was a GamerGate supporter too, helped inject the "Cultural Marxism" thing into said movement, and the Escapist forums were a huge gathering spot at the place before eventually moving on to Kotaku in Action and 8chan.

Oh. Good.

So, uh, I guess I'll just play Godbound then

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
To the best of my knowledge Kevin Crawford has yet to reveal himself to be a secret rear end in a top hat or ridiculous elfgame partisan, guy just likes making games based on old D&D.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LatwPIAT posted:

This year is the 30th anniversary for the release of Phoenix Command Combat System. I have a naive dream of getting my PCCS retroclone out before the end of the year. /shameless self advertisement

I just wanted to say that you've been a huge help for me understanding that game and piquing my interest in it, and I wish you all the best in getting that project done.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Oh. Good.

So, uh, I guess I'll just play Godbound then

Crawford's An Echo Resounding is also a better domain management, mass combat, and realm management sourcebook than Macris' ACKS.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 4, 2016

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mors Rattus posted:

In fairness, this exact thing happened to Apocalypse World, too.

Okay, but AW was good, and the Black Hack was mediocre at best.

Kai Tave posted:

ridiculous elfgame partisan,

Pretend I posted a polearm joke.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Lurks With Wolves posted:

No the issue was that one of the ACKS guys actively associated with fedora man whose name I forget and in a Gamergate feature gave him an article where he directed people to harass others including Mikan. When presented with information that fedora man is an unmitigated rear end in a top hat he said he didn't know about that despite the fact that he actively followed him on social media.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

No the issue was that one of the ACKS guys actively associated with fedora man whose name I forget and in a Gamergate feature gave him an article where he directed people to harass others including Mikan. When presented with information that fedora man is an unmitigated rear end in a top hat he said he didn't know about that despite the fact that he actively followed him on social media.

James Desborough. And that wasn't just the issue, everything else was too. Autarch turned out to be a real lovely group.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yeah, that was the "Game Devs" article—in contrast to the largely or completely anonymous for obvious reasons "Female Game Devs" article—which included Desborough calling out a number of regular targets by name, and also a "game dev" who had and still hasn't actually released any game (though he has taken money for one). Those two particular entries were removed after enough pressure came to bear, but by then it was clear the Escapist was rotten to the core.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Didn't Tavis turn out to be OK? That's probably why he's no longer associated with them if so.

Edit thought twice, not worth it, dudes had enough thrown his way

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 4, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Arivia posted:

Maliszewski had a better explanation than most do for disappearing on his Kickstarter. His father died, which lead to basically a mental breakdown and his entire life going to poo poo for a year or longer. Definitely not ideal, but he wasn't just running away with the money like Nightfall or Far West.

Dwimmermount (the dungeon) did make it out in the end. Maliszewski handed it over to Autarch (the ACKS guys) to finish and publish, and they did. So again, another strike better than GMS.

Speaking of Nightfall...Nocturne just got released to Backers. It's actually out and playable.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Speaking of Nightfall...Nocturne just got released to Backers. It's actually out and playable.

Yeah, it looks pretty good! Makes me want to run 13th Age. But then Pathfinder's Horror Adventures is coming out Real Soon so I will probably just end up doing that instead.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I know this is harkening back quite a bit here, but TG drama moves too fast for me to really keep up with. Can someone please give a quick summary as to why Contessa was "bad"? I'll be damned if I'm going to wade through a few hundred random twitter accounts and G+ posts to figure out what non-fedora wearing people's beef with it was.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

gradenko_2000 posted:

One game I'd like to mention in this regard is Darkest Dungeons. Dark Dungeons and Darker Dungeons were retroclones of the Rules Cyclopedia, but the third game in the series married the 3rd Edition D&D skill system, with Rolemaster's combat chopped down into a d20 scale rather than a d100 and with a set initiative order rather than having to deal with percentages and turn segments.

So you get a skill list that isn't as insane as Rolemaster Standard System/Fantasy Roleplaying, and a combat system that captures Rolemaster's exploding dice, parrying, hitChance+damage in a single roll and crazy crits, but without having to add and subtract three or more two-digit numbers together or damage charts that take up entire sheets of A4 paper.

I've always felt that our tastes as far as old-school RPGs are concerned have matched up pretty well, and Rolemaster was the RPG I started with (well, actually it was MERP, but we quickly moved on to Rolemaster proper because as stupid kids we thought that more complexity=better) so I have a particular soft spot for that sort of thing. I'm going to have to check out Darkest Dungeon based on this blurb.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

ManMythLegend posted:

I know this is harkening back quite a bit here, but TG drama moves too fast for me to really keep up with. Can someone please give a quick summary as to why Contessa was "bad"? I'll be damned if I'm going to wade through a few hundred random twitter accounts and G+ posts to figure out what non-fedora wearing people's beef with it was.

My understanding is that the woman who organised it specifically wanted to make it 'non-political'. A couple of notable TG feminists pointed out that arranging a convention run exclusively by women was inherently political, blocks were exchanged, and that's all I know.

Some of the women who write/wrote for and helped organise it got the cold shoulder afterwards from storygamers, too, which may be a contributing factor to the current garbage fire.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Leperflesh posted:

Stalkers are well known for spilling beans, after all.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Kai Tave posted:

To the best of my knowledge Kevin Crawford has yet to reveal himself to be a secret rear end in a top hat or ridiculous elfgame partisan, guy just likes making games based on old D&D.

Yeah, I got mad respect for the guy with his Godbound kickstarter. The game shares some space with Exalted, and the deluxe even includes a section that is a pretty direct "here's how you would adapt the different big varieties of exalts to the Godbound rules". Despite all that, I never saw him poo poo talk exalted mechanics in general or the 3e KS drama in specific as a way to drive sales. Only comments I saw in threads he participated in were to the effect of "here's how exalts would perform a little different in my rules than the original ones" or "if you were going to port it, here's what I think would be easier or harder approaches to take".

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

FMguru posted:

Ampersand & Alliteration
I think I know what to get tattooed across my stomach in Gothic characters now.

Fuego Fish posted:

Stalkers are well known for spilling beans, after all.
Nice.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

potatocubed posted:

My understanding is that the woman who organised it specifically wanted to make it 'non-political'. A couple of notable TG feminists pointed out that arranging a convention run exclusively by women was inherently political, blocks were exchanged, and that's all I know.

Some of the women who write/wrote for and helped organise it got the cold shoulder afterwards from storygamers, too, which may be a contributing factor to the current garbage fire.

Honestly, I think Contessa is a fine thing, and the beefs surrounding it are dismaying. But I understand where they come from. I dont think such a charged term as "non-political" was necessary, however. Its good that she wants to welcome all women, regardless of political stance and focus on the playing of games instead of panel discussions about women in gaming, because plenty of other people have that down pat. I think just saying that would have resulted in a more positive reception among some. Because yes, sadly, these days women just playing and running RPGs is political. But in the end, it's not my place to say, really.

Acting lovely towards the women involved is pretty sucky though.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 4, 2016

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

Honestly, I think Contessa is a fine thing, and the beefs surrounding it are dismaying. But I understand where they come from. I dont think such a charged term as "non-political" was necessary, however. Its good that she wants to welcome all women, regardless of political stance and focus on the playing of games instead of panel discussions about women in gaming, because plenty of other people have that down pat. I think just saying that would have resulted in a more positive reception among some. Because yes, sadly, these days women just playing and running RPGs is political. But in the end, it's not my place to say, really.

Acting lovely towards the women involved is pretty sucky though.

This is exactly where I'm at with the whole thing.

I mean, I'm not a woman or an acomplished feminist scholar, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about I just think that women should be able to meet up and play games/have fun without having pass some sort of ideological purity test and feel obligated to host panels about representation in gaming.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think the point is that, as LL said, the act is implicitly and explicitly political in the current climate regardless of the person's intentions. If people outside were upset that the woman running the event didn't want to hold lectures and seminars on the state of the industry instead of simply trying to bring more of her cohort into the hobby or to provide a safe place for those in the hobby to play, that's awful and I hope those individuals rethink their stance, but the event itself is still political regardless of if people talk of feminist literature and gender solidarity while they're there.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Countblanc posted:

I think the point is that, as LL said, the act is implicitly and explicitly political in the current climate regardless of the person's intentions. If people outside were upset that the woman running the event didn't want to hold lectures and seminars on the state of the industry instead of simply trying to bring more of her cohort into the hobby or to provide a safe place for those in the hobby to play, that's awful and I hope those individuals rethink their stance, but the event itself is still political regardless of if people talk of feminist literature and gender solidarity while they're there.

While I agree that it is implicitly political in today's climate, my feeling is that it can still not be explicitly political.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I thought someone involved heavily with ConTessa was also going to bat for the Thunder Plains back when Monte Cook was still in denial about how racist it is but I don't remember the specifics anymore

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
I can't say for sure if it's happened before with other tabletop crowdfunded projects, but continued dissatisfaction and lack of communication with a Pathfinder adventure Throne of Night inspired a letter-writing campaign to KickStarter staff made up of dissatisfied backers.

The last straw was when the author Gary McBride logged in July 30th and backed 2 other KickStarter projects without so much as a "hello, still working on things" to his backers.

Here's a comprehensive blog post I wrote on Throne of Night a year ago for those unaware.

Here's the post which kicked things off in the Paizo thread.

Here's the latest in the comments section of the KickStarter as things unfold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Too bad, that logo is kickass.

• Locked thread