Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny_Rocket posted:

God, you sound like an insufferable douchebag who thinks his opinions actually matter and should be held above others. Guess what, opinions are like assholes - everyone has one. People are allowed to like what they like and form their own opinions, as they're unique to the individual.

Judging something that's "good" or "bad" is entirely subjective - neither is inherently wrong.

It's a joke. Like my opinion can be completely wrong, but people focus too much on whether or not someone can be right or wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rurea posted:

Who looked at that costume and said " Yeah that looks amazing"

Joss Whedon.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's a joke. Like my opinion can be completely wrong, but people focus too much on whether or not someone can be right or wrong.

Fair enough, I couldn't judge the tone properly so I apologize

Regarding Suicide Squad, everything I've seen of the Joker makes him look like a cross between a Juggalo and Scarface. Was "Damaged" tattoo across his head really necessary? Everything I've seen of his performance so far is underwhelming, but maybe that's just me. Will Smith as Deadshot looks like he's just playing Will Smith in Wild Wild West

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

This is insane.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't get the point of your posts if the results are this vague. "Some number of people like DC movies. Some number of people like Marvel movies. These Marvel movies have good box office. This one DC movie has good box office, bad aggregated critical response." Pages of this poo poo.

There would probably be a few fewer pages if you stopped trying to interpret really basic statements in the most boneheaded, black and white, and strawmannish form possible.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

Joss Whedon.

Joss Whedon

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's not that huge a difference, there's at least five WB/DC movies, not even counting Suicide Squad.

What, are we counting the Nolan movies, Green Lantern, the Burton Batman movies, Catwoman etc.?

Do we count the X-Men movies as Marvel, then, or are we basing it only on studio?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LGD posted:

There would probably be a few fewer pages if you stopped trying to interpret really basic statements in the most boneheaded, black and white, and strawmannish form possible.

The problem appears to be just trying to interpret or understand holistically at all, which I guess is on me.

Phylodox posted:

What, are we counting the Nolan movies, Green Lantern, the Burton Batman movies, Catwoman etc.?

Do we count the X-Men movies as Marvel, then, or are we basing it only on studio?

I'm counting the significant thematic relationship between Nolan's movies and Snyder's. It goes to six when we throw in Watchmen, with BvS being in large part a combined response to that and the Nolan/Bale Batmen.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LGD posted:

strawmannish form possible.

-_-

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm counting the significant thematic relationship between Nolan's movies and Snyder's. It goes to six when we throw in Watchmen, with BvS being in large part a combined response to that and the Nolan/Bale Batmen.

Well, okay, but that's a bit subjective. Two people's thematic take could be wildly different. By that metric, the MCU may not even be a unified whole.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I wanted to find some shots for the thread but I'm not very good at finding movie screenshots on Google and I don't own most of these movies. I DID find this piece of Avengers concept art and the shot it seems to have inspired in the movie again:

Oh wow.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Well, okay, but that's a bit subjective. Two people's thematic take could be wildly different. By that metric, the MCU may not even be a unified whole.

I mean, yeah, people can be wrong. Doesn't change what's actually going on in the movies.

And, yes, I'd agree that the MCU isn't clearly a more unified whole than the DC movies I mentioned. Cap behaves differently and means different things moving from First Avenger to the later movies. SHIELD is an agency still sorting out what its name even is in the first Iron Man, and is then a decades-old agency by Ant-Man. They're both partially-connected and partially-distinct assemblies of movies.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How to make the Thor movies into good movies: remove every scene with non-Asgardian characters, they all suck.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

And, yes, I'd agree that the MCU isn't clearly a more unified whole than the DC movies I mentioned. Cap behaves differently and means different things moving from First Avenger to the later movies. SHIELD is an agency still sorting out what its name even is in the first Iron Man, and is then a decades-old agency by Ant-Man. They're both partially-connected and partially-distinct assemblies of movies.

And I don't see the point in trying to figure out which "assembly of movies" "wins" or "is better". I don't even understand what purpose that serves, other than engaging in weird comic book company tribalism.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

And I don't see the point in trying to figure out which "assembly of movies" "wins" or "is better". I don't even understand what purpose that serves, other than engaging in weird comic book company tribalism.

Because, ideally, it leads to a discussion of the filmmaking values that differ between them that persist between movies. It's a starting point. It's a terrible ending point, of course.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

Because, ideally, it leads to a discussion of the filmmaking values that differ between them that persist between movies. It's a starting point. It's a terrible ending point, of course.

Well, that's the thing, trying to prove one is objectively better or worse doesn't really lead to anything. Instead of discussing the differences, you instead end up focusing on and inflating only the flaws and you end up with dumb memetalk like "What if Man of Steel was in colour?!?" and "Joss Whedon lusts for car death!!!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LGD posted:

Isn't a basic statement by definition black and white?

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
It looks like when a movie takes place on Halloween and there's a bunch of kids dressed as recognizable characters.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

computer parts posted:

Isn't a basic statement by definition black and white?

I recall my BASIC statements as frequently being green actually :haw:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Well, that's the thing, trying to prove one is objectively better or worse doesn't really lead to anything. Instead of discussing the differences, you instead end up focusing on and inflating only the flaws and you end up with dumb memetalk like "What if Man of Steel was in colour?!?" and "Joss Whedon lusts for car death!!!"

Every form of discussion looks bad if you judge it by how it actually plays out on the Internet.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

Every form of discussion looks bad if you judge it by how it actually plays out on the Internet.

Well, I don't talk about this anywhere else, so...

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Concerning this LGD thing: you mustn't forget that "it's ideology, stupid". The Marvel Studios Cinematic Universe is a libertarian universe. It is libertarian in both form and content.

LGD is not entirely failing to articulate his thoughts on the series. He is simply praising the films in their own language - in terms of libertarian free-market principles.

Very simply, Marvel Studios is 'legitimate' because it straightforwardly supplies what he demands, whereas Warner Bros is profiting 'illegitimately'. Actual maths and numbers are unimportant here because LGD's point is ideological: that Warner Bros is not libertarian enough. It is supposed to be making even more money by being libertarian, by supplying what 'everyone' is demanding.

No nerd has ever complained that Marvel Studios isn't earning enough profit. But the instant an X-Men film underperforms, the fantasy is that Marvel will step in, take over, and supply what fans demand.

The fact that the WB corporation did not instantly fire Snyder and mash the saturation button in response to whining is, perversely, seen as a corruption of the free market. Superman is supposed to make two billion dollars because, in a free market, he will make two billion dollars. The fact that he didn't is proof that the film is bad. Warner Bros is making Superman unhappy by holding him back, forcing him to go against his libertarian nature.

Frustration is compounded by the fact that WB have a total monopoly on the official Superman brand trademark character. There is no way to buy a better Superman from a competitor. (Of course Sony Pictures' Hancock features a black version of Superman, but Will Smith has the wrong colour... leotard.) So it's not enough to just stop watching the films. Warner Bros must be made to free Superman, by the power of constant overwhelming demand. The goal is to appeal to their greed. It's rational self-interest.

ahaha Jesus Christ.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The first one is too grimdark. The forest actually looks scary, giving you the impression that it's thematically related to the opposition between the characters, as if the conflict between them is 'natural,' and not what's really ideal, which is just that they're jerks to each other for no reason so that they can easily get over it. Notice how Tony is aligned with the fallen tree and looks like he's literally about to attack Steve, aligned with the stalwart, tree behind him respectively. Meanwhile, Thor is aligned with the Moon and looks upon Steve with a sense of divine removal. Steve, for his part, averts his gaze, the monument that will unite these forces. We all know that the real monument is Agent Coulson, avid trading card collector! This painting is so not canon. The aspect ratio is also really tight, emphasizing the convergence of these two oppositional forces upon the reluctant leader, Steve. Steve shouldn't be reluctant! You get the sense that he doesn't care enough! It's so emo!

Now, the one from the movie, that's gold.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For real though, if Avengers had half the style and class of that concept art, I would love it so much more.

Tony looks like a mechanical monster, Thor a disinterested deity, and the only thing in between them is the lone soldier.

Technology pitted against Magic with only humanity to balance them out.

And then you have three jackoffs sort of awkwardly standing on some twigs, without any kind of symbolism or motivation.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Burkion posted:

For real though, if Avengers had half the style and class of that concept art, I would love it so much more.

Tony looks like a mechanical monster, Thor a disinterested deity, and the only thing in between them is the lone soldier.

Technology pitted against Magic with only humanity to balance them out.

And then you have three jackoffs sort of awkwardly standing on some twigs, without any kind of symbolism or motivation.

What you're not seeing there, literally, is any characterization whatsoever.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It doesn't help that Chris Henderson has this weirdly intent posture, like he's leaning in to overhear a conversation that he's taking part in. Iron Man's staring off into space [though I imagine it's better in motion] and Cap's costume makes him absolutely impossible to take seriously - and his shield is completely blocking any of his body language! aaaaaaa

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

ungulateman posted:

It doesn't help that Chris Henderson has this weirdly intent posture, like he's leaning in to overhear a conversation that he's taking part in. Iron Man's staring off into space [though I imagine it's better in motion] and Cap's costume makes him absolutely impossible to take seriously - and his shield is completely blocking any of his body language! aaaaaaa

If you follow their eyelines, it makes it look like they're all staring at each other's kicks.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't mind the shot too much but the scene itself is weird and ends so weird. Thor hits Cap's shield and you see him flying backwards and then they are all standing around like doofuses going like "woah we wrecked this forest guys lol....buds?" Then the scene cuts away.

People always cite the "kids smashing together action figures" but this does remind me of like kids who got in a fight and smashed their mother's lamp so they just stand there like "uh oh..." since they know they're in trouble now.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't mind the shot too much but the scene itself is weird and ends so weird. Thor hits Cap's shield and you see him flying backwards and then they are all standing around like doofuses going like "woah we wrecked this forest guys lol....buds?" Then the scene cuts away.

People always cite the "kids smashing together action figures" but this does remind me of like kids who got in a fight and smashed their mother's lamp so they just stand there like "uh oh..." since they know they're in trouble now.

It's maybe the worst scene in the entire movie, which is saying something.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It certainly gives more support to the 'open matte' theory:

Corrected version.

Original.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It looks like 3 Hot Toys posed in a terrarium.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
I found a couple of other interesting comparisons. Also I'm gonna label the artists, that picture I linked before was Steve Jung.

Banner's shack was much less evenly lit in the concept art

Steve Jung

A couple things that are just entirely different in the movie.

Thor and Loki's confrontation is different in the movie but they didn't replace it with anything that visually interesting.

Jung

Loki prisons

Andy Park

Jung

Am I understanding Park's properly? Is that a torture chamber? If it is I like it. It makes sense that SHIELD would have that.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 4, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Electromax posted:

It looks like 3 Hot Toys posed in a terrarium.

That's an insult to Hot Toys.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Stop. It hurts.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Incredible

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

:eyepop:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

:vince:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

This is insane.

Also the first picture has Caps costume from his movie, not the one Whedon picked.

• Locked thread