Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reason posted:

i think you guys are getting trolled hard

I'm mostly upset at the idea that Duchies aren't worth buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
After the multi page derail this causes would be a good time to start the new thread.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sector_corrector posted:

Likewise, that was the worst (or best troll, w/e) part of the post.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Lichtenstein posted:

Each time Rutibex makes a proper post (not the day-to-day trolling) I keep being amazed he manages to top the previous ones.

I just wish people'd stop quoting him. The thread is notably better after blocking him.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

foxxtrot posted:

I just wish people'd stop quoting him. The thread is notably better after blocking him.

Rutabaga is an acquired taste.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

That works, but I'm really in love with this little organizer for Fire in the Lake. I hate emptying out every baggie on the table or having them all over when I'm playing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EYW8V6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I like the multiyear journey from 'rutibex is an idiot' to 'rutibex is a funny poster' to 'rutibex is an awful troll'

al-azad posted:

Labyrinth was the game that made my friend hate everything GMT has put out and I really have to struggle to change his viewpoint. He looked at Cuba Libre and I could see the point where his spirit broke in two.

What didn't they like about CL?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Thanks, I'll give that one a shot.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sector_corrector posted:

Oh come on, you know they are crap. Tanto Cuore has it's own douchies anyway, the buildings from the second set are in-between VP cards.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Oh come on, you know they are crap. Tanto Cuore has it's own douchies anyway, the buildings from the second set are in-between VP cards.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I like the multiyear journey from 'rutibex is an idiot' to 'rutibex is a funny poster' to 'rutibex is an awful troll'

What didn't they like about CL?

They haven't played it, but the aesthetic instantly triggered their Labyrinth PTSD and I'm trying to coax them into it. They also had an awful "teaching" session of Liberty or Death so really I'm fighting a losing war getting this game to the table.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I just find the Labyrinth thing bewildering. It's a realistic setting with a serious theme, and the game's about USA vs. the International Criminal Jihadist Conspiracy. It feels so silly and forced, and makes the game really odd from the outset. I don't think a game about the war on terror is necessarily a bad idea, but it sure could be handled differently than Volko did.

Did I link this great BGG thread already? It goes into a lot of detail about why the game's assumptions are way off, and then it has a years-long debate about the game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You haven't really played Dominion until you've spent $7 on a Duchy.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Some Numbers posted:

You haven't really played Dominion until you've spent $7 on a Duchy.

You haven't really played Dominion until you've spent $9 on a copper.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Someone please explain the appeal of deckbuilding as a game mechanic to me I think I am broken inside because it literally does nothing for me unless if its actually something removed from the game part of the game.

I can't figure out what I dislike about it from my perspective. Everything else I can put into words.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Labyrinth was the game that made my friend hate everything GMT has put out and I really have to struggle to change his viewpoint. He looked at Cuba Libre and I could see the point where his spirit broke in two.

You know, you're right. I can't really argue against this and I don't even like Codenames enough to defend it. But the more I think about it the more the word list disturbs me and it's not because of vomit and diarrhea. There's something "squicky" about it more so than CAH's highly detailed sentences. Maybe it's because my imagination is running wild but I can't stop thinking about loving peaches and clams.

Its list is squicky and worse at being Codenames. :(

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

PBS Newshour posted:

Someone please explain the appeal of deckbuilding as a game mechanic to me I think I am broken inside because it literally does nothing for me unless if its actually something removed from the game part of the game.

I can't figure out what I dislike about it from my perspective. Everything else I can put into words.

It feels less like building or focusing and more like tidying up something that's perpetually getting a little dirtier no matter what? :shrug:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PBS Newshour posted:

Deck Building (when done right) takes several enjoyable mechanics and mashes them together. You get the fun of making buying decisions, you get to manage an economy, you get the feeling of forming and then executing a successful strategy. Most people call them "multi-player solitaire", but that's only true at the lowest level of play. In Dominion and Valley of the Kings (my two favorites) you must constantly keep in mind what your opponent is doing, has done, and how your own strategy affects the board-state. In VOK this is all about managing what your opponent has buy access to. In Dominion this is about being aware of piles, counting VP, and knowing how to respond to attacks. The interactivity is subtle, but I think that makes it more worthwhile. Building a deck is also a fun exercise in probability. In Dominion, for example, you have to have an intuitive grasp for what sort of money your deck is able to produce from turn to turn, what's coming up in your deck, and how to space terminal / cantrip buys in order to do what you want to do by turn 4 or 5.

I can understand how that would potentially be unappealing to people who like more direct player interaction, however.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

sector_corrector posted:

Deck Building (when done right) takes several enjoyable mechanics and mashes them together. You get the fun of making buying decisions, you get to manage an economy, you get the feeling of forming and then executing a successful strategy. Most people call them "multi-player solitaire", but that's only true at the lowest level of play. In Dominion and Valley of the Kings (my two favorites) you must constantly keep in mind what your opponent is doing, has done, and how your own strategy affects the board-state. In VOK this is all about managing what your opponent has buy access to. In Dominion this is about being aware of piles, counting VP, and knowing how to respond to attacks. The interactivity is subtle, but I think that makes it more worthwhile. Building a deck is also a fun exercise in probability. In Dominion, for example, you have to have an intuitive grasp for what sort of money your deck is able to produce from turn to turn, what's coming up in your deck, and how to space terminal / cantrip buys in order to do what you want to do by turn 4 or 5.

I can understand how that would potentially be unappealing to people who like more direct player interaction, however.

Yeah, I just don't know if I have the right mindset for these type of games. Like there are a lot of elements there that appeal to me but something about the combination doesn't work for me.

Mister Sinewave posted:

It feels less like building or focusing and more like tidying up something that's perpetually getting a little dirtier no matter what? :shrug:

That sounds right and seems to match my feelings. Thank you Mister Sinewave.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hey, what was that worker placement game where you owned a Vineyard and was it any good?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Vinhos and Viticulture are both vineyard games. I really like Viticulture.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

PBS Newshour posted:

I think it's utterly tedious and un-fun so you're not alone.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

FISHMANPET posted:

Vinhos and Viticulture are both vineyard games. I really like Viticulture.

Viticulture is the one I remember buzz being good on, how complex is it? Thinking of getting it for my mom.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Moriatti posted:

Viticulture is the one I remember buzz being good on, how complex is it? Thinking of getting it for my mom.

My mother enjoys it a lot and it has replaced card games with her, which is nice.

Vinhos is much more complex - stick with Viticulture if you're gifting it to a non-gaming relative.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Reminder that Rutibex has sex with cardboard and you should put him on ignore

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Trading/negotiation game about a bunch of businessmen competing with each other to exploit the populace while not triggering a revolt- but one of the players may secretly be planning to spark the revolt. Coming GenCon, Archipelago: Just Racist Against Clones Edition

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

When I first played Dominion I didn't like it, thought it just wasn't for me. Then I went and played a bunch of other (mostly lovely) deckbuilders and the whole concept sort of clicked for me. Then I went back to try Dominion again and went "whoa, this is so obviously way better".

vOv

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

CaptainApathyUK posted:

It's not amazing, because it relies quite heavily on rolling dice - but I still enjoy it and find it fascinating. The rules fit really well with the theme, and it doesn't outstay it's welcome. There's a bunch of play through videos on YouTube that should give you a clear idea of how it plays and whether you'd like it.

I play D&D so I'm used to rolling dice (and it not going my way). I watched some gameplay videos; looks fun enough. Thanks.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Trading/negotiation game about a bunch of businessmen competing with each other to exploit the populace while not triggering a revolt- but one of the players may secretly be planning to spark the revolt. Coming GenCon, Archipelago: Just Racist Against Clones Edition

Yea, I'm hoping this will adhere more towards the Archipelago side of the spectrum but minus the colonialism, as opposed to the Dead of Winter school of design. Snazzy box art though.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I just find the Labyrinth thing bewildering. It's a realistic setting with a serious theme, and the game's about USA vs. the International Criminal Jihadist Conspiracy. It feels so silly and forced, and makes the game really odd from the outset. I don't think a game about the war on terror is necessarily a bad idea, but it sure could be handled differently than Volko did.

Isn't A Distant Plain a game about the War on Terror and pretty decent? And also by Volko. I haven't played my copy yet (working through the rules), but everything I've read so far doesn't seem objectionable and it seems pretty even-handed.

edit: that link you posted is very good, thanks.

EvilChameleon fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 3, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

EvilChameleon posted:

Isn't A Distant Plain a game about the War on Terror and pretty decent? And also by Volko. I haven't played my copy yet (working through the rules), but everything I've read so far doesn't seem objectionable and it seems pretty even-handed.
Volko seemingly learnt to be a bit more even handed between Labyrinth, Andean Abyss, Cuba Libre and finally ADP. AA and Cuba Libre even say in the designer notes that the game doesn't attempt to use either of the extreme left or right wing view of the conflict, but a mixture of both, in that the FARC and 26JUL are seen as popular uprising (well, the latter more than the former), instead of just externally funded insurgents (although still acknowledging that they are externally funded in places).

ADP suffers slightly because it attempts to paint diverse groups like the Warlords and the Taliban as unified, but the playbook (as well as Brian Train when he posted on my blog :v:) shows that this is done out of necessity and not an attempt to unify diverse groups that in actuality can't really be simulated apart from grossly abstracting them.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Short trip report from Mnsion of Madness 2ed:

This game is fun! We lost our first game but everyone left feeling satisfied and enjoyed their time. The app generates random puzzles and draws from a pool of attack outcomes which also depend on your wewpon. It's extremely thematic and manages to provide closure after a game (unlike eldritch horror, which really would benefit from a pool of lose or win fluff to read out).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

PBS Newshour posted:

Yeah, I just don't know if I have the right mindset for these type of games. Like there are a lot of elements there that appeal to me but something about the combination doesn't work for me.

That sounds right and seems to match my feelings. Thank you Mister Sinewave.

I do enjoy playing Dominion but it's one of those games that I'll never really buy for myself.

sector_corrector hit the nail on the head for summing up Dominion but to add to that, Dominion is a game of being in and managing constant flux. As a result, in a way instead of buying and building in the normal sense you're more managing a rotation and constant change. That can be enough to not really gel for some people.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Scyther posted:

When I first played Dominion I didn't like it, thought it just wasn't for me. Then I went and played a bunch of other (mostly lovely) deckbuilders and the whole concept sort of clicked for me. Then I went back to try Dominion again and went "whoa, this is so obviously way better".

vOv

Yeah, Dominion's design accomplishes a lot of cool things in very elegant and subtle ways, which is one of the big draws of the deckbuilding concept.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

al-azad posted:

I can't stop thinking about loving peaches and clams.

New thread title

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I think its subtlety is one reason people don't like it; they can't see what makes it good. It's the little things that count.

silvergoose posted:

Likewise, that was the worst (or best troll, w/e) part of the post.

No the best bit was when he said making treasures cost $1 more broke Big Money. Or you could buy Tanto Cuore for your dad.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

House Louse posted:

I think its subtlety is one reason people don't like it; they can't see what makes it good. It's the little things that count.
Or people don't like efficiency engine games boiled down to the bare minimum with random elements added.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I like deck building because I enjoy optimization. i play games because I like to flex my brain. I would love for deck building to be part of a better game (don't mention Mage Knight because it is too clunky and doesn't really do deck building).

Rutibex is commendable if only because he charges into the thread where he knows he will have zero allies and defends his choices. The choices may indeed be terrible, but man look at the desire.

I feel like I've said a lot of nothing in this post, so Roll for the Galaxy question: Let's say I roll three dice and get an Explore, a Develop, and a Wild. I use the Develop to select the phase. Am I allowed to use the Explore to Dictate the Wild, throwing it back into my cup for the round? Or would I have to use the Wild to select phase in order to do that?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hey jerks, come play Keyflower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Shadow225 posted:

I feel like I've said a lot of nothing in this post, so Roll for the Galaxy question: Let's say I roll three dice and get an Explore, a Develop, and a Wild. I use the Develop to select the phase. Am I allowed to use the Explore to Dictate the Wild, throwing it back into my cup for the round? Or would I have to use the Wild to select phase in order to do that?

You can assign the wild to whatever phase you want, and decide not to use your explore die, putting it back into your cup at the end of a round. You don't need to use all of the dice you assign to a phase, and any you don't use go into your cup.