Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I got the new suspension and brakes in. It's coming along at a glacial pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Geirskogul posted:

That Cadillac with the cylinder deactivation.

Newer Escalades have cylinder deac. :smug:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Still a punishment :colbert:

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Ripoff posted:

We need a punishment car to make him drive if he can't get the van together.

I'm thinking a 2001 Kia Rio. :unsmigghh:

Edit: Post the worst cars u got

I have an 89 ltd crown vic with on 2 gears left on the trans. Its got a sweet flowmaster, but only goes about 45mph.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Geirskogul posted:

Still a punishment :colbert:

As an owner of a couple of old VWs, you should be the expert on the subject.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

alternate.eago posted:

I have an 89 ltd crown vic with on 2 gears left on the trans. Its got a sweet flowmaster, but only goes about 45mph.

The milage on that alone is punishment.

edit: also joke car suggestion: variomatic volvo; 60 mph, in reverse :unsmigghh:

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 3, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Larrymer posted:

As an owner of a couple of old VWs, you should be the expert on the subject.

So, go all "Botswana Special" and make the punishment car a beetle?

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Cached Money posted:

The milage on that alone is punishment.

It does have working AC though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is the van thread. The punishment vehicle has to be the worst minivan possible... although I admit I don't know what that would be. Presumably something made by Chrysler. A Plymouth?

Failing that, my vote would be for some miserable 1970s-80s J-body.

Geirskogul posted:

That Cadillac with the cylinder deactivation.

Cadillac Fleetwood V8-6-4

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I am unreasonably excited to experience this project vicariously.

Left Ventricle posted:

Oldsmobile Delta 88 4.3L diesel.

Completely unrelated to the van saga, but if you find one of these in the wrecking yard, I may need the serpentine belt drive and accessories/brackets from it. My info says that the 4.3L diesel is a 5.7L Olds-based diesel with teo cylinders whacked off (ala Chevy 4.3 vs 5.7 gas engines). I want that front dress for my Olds 350.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Leperflesh posted:

This is the van thread. The punishment vehicle has to be the worst minivan possible... although I admit I don't know what that would be. Presumably something made by Chrysler. A Plymouth?

There was the era of Town & Country vans that liked to eat transmissions. Early 2000's? My brother had one.

Or the Nissan Quest with MOPAR-levels of electrical gremlins.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

aren't the late Ford minivans ( Freestar, I think ) supposed to be tepid garbage? I recall them having issues with the transmission and frame rot, as well as being available in hideous shades of pink and purple.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PhotoKirk posted:

There was the era of Town & Country vans that liked to eat transmissions. Early 2000's? My brother had one.

I'm pretty sure that era is "all of them".

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
1991 chrysler lebaron convertible, but it has to be the i4

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

iForge posted:

1991 chrysler lebaron convertible, but it has to be the i4

Calm down, Satan. You don't want any suicides on your conscience.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I just spotted a fish on dry land.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Unfortunately, if you choose a punishment vehicle which has the major flaws of an unreliable powertrain, you're not actually achieving the desired effect... because if it simply won't run, it stops functioning as a punishment vehicle. So what you want is a vehicle that is miserable to be in, miserable to drive, and has unreliable poo poo like electronics, body work, etc... but will still run and stop.

That's of course what made the bug a good punishment vehicle for the Botswana episode: the hosts considered it to be miserable to drive, but it doggedly kept up with the crew and didn't break down at all, so they had no valid excuse for leaving it behind.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, a beetle, or a pre-2005 kia rio.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Leperflesh posted:

Unfortunately, if you choose a punishment vehicle which has the major flaws of an unreliable powertrain, you're not actually achieving the desired effect... because if it simply won't run, it stops functioning as a punishment vehicle. So what you want is a vehicle that is miserable to be in, miserable to drive, and has unreliable poo poo like electronics, body work, etc... but will still run and stop.

So something like a Renault Le Car? Or a Chevy Chevette?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
It's a shame that you guys never got the Mitsubishi Magna :v:

I'm in Dallas btw. Can confirm that STR is in fact a human and didn't kill me. So far, so good. :sun:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Can confirm that literally a fish is not a fish at all, with :siren: photographic proof :siren:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

some texas redneck posted:

Can confirm that literally a fish is not a fish at all, with :siren: photographic proof :siren:

I'm not convinced:

The hair could be hiding his operculum.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

I owned and DD'd a 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan in lose-it-in-every-parking-lot "Ice Blue". It was a turd, a turd I kept on life support for more than 7 years because I'm really dumb.

The Plymouth Voyager suggestion is good - the first-gen, mid-1980's version with the 4-eyes headlights is pretty high on the list of absolute dogs. The transmission is guaranteed to poo poo the bed, slowly. As in, "That felt like a bit of a rough shift... wonder if something's wrong" followed a day later by "CLUNK" as the planetaries head for orbit.

PhotoKirk posted:

I think every a604 tranny Chrysler ever built had to be re-built by an aftermarket shop or scrapped at some point. "Made of glass" is most of the way to an accurate description.

Leperflesh posted:

That's of course what made the bug a good punishment vehicle for the Botswana episode: the hosts considered it to be miserable to drive, but it doggedly kept up with the crew and didn't break down at all, so they had no valid excuse for leaving it behind.
Good point. I still like the first-gen Chrysler minivan, but swap out the engine for something less spastic and more cockroach-ey.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Calm down, Satan. You don't want any suicides on your conscience.

I drove one of those for a while in high school.

Fun little piece of junk until I grenaded the transmission at 55 on the highway, having never even driven it in anger.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 4, 2016

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ripoff posted:

We need a punishment car to make him drive if he can't get the van together.

I'm thinking a 2001 Kia Rio. :unsmigghh:

Edit: Post the worst cars u got

How about a hot-pink Twingo with Benneton upholstery?

All it needs is a dildo on a bedspring mounted on the hood

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

PainterofCrap posted:

How about a hot-pink Twingo with Benneton upholstery?

All it needs is a dildo on a bedspring mounted on the hood

I have an insane urge to make that car go way faster than intended.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Wrar posted:

So... 40mph?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

I was going to say off a cliff. Po-tay-toes, Po-tah-toes.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Wrar posted:

Transverse Duramax with a smoke chip and a giant stack sticking through the roof

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
THE FISH IS HERE

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Terrible Robot posted:

THE FISH IS HERE

Great av/post combo

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I just spent the last 36 hours making GBS threads liquid

gas station whataburgers: not even once

BUT I'M MOSTLY OK NOW.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

literally a fish posted:

I just spent the last 36 hours making GBS threads liquid

gas station whataburgers: not even once

BUT I'M MOSTLY OK NOW.

Should know better than to eat street food in a third world country.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Siochain posted:

Should know better than to eat street food in a third world country.

Hey now. We're not Soviet, so we can't be third world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

I LOVE YOU SNEED

(This isn't going on the van this year but oh my god it's so perfect it's bigger than my head)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
CAT approved!

What's it going on, if not the van?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

sharkytm posted:

CAT approved!

If I know anything about these self-destructive yahoos it'll be whatever mobility scooter holdbrooks/Ken gets their mitts on.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

sharkytm posted:

CAT approved!

Oh it's going on the van. That's for sure. Just not yet, because hahahahaha we have like two weeks to make this work :ohdear:

Build party at Wes's place (richmond, VA) this weekend and next. If you wanna come help oh my GOD please do come help because we will need all the help we can get.

Hit me up in a PM or text me at 4three4-three2six-twosix24 (my US # for this trippe) or wherever else if you need the address and wanna come help out, goons :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Someone has clearly spent a lot of time in the Craigslist /m4m section. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
no i just hate spam

• Locked thread