Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Millium falls into the Emma category for me where I'm sure the second game will make her interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Hey Xseed I'm ready for Cold Steel II now thanks

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/760646889205149698

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ok yeah but when's it coming out xseed

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Did they ever announce that they were going to translate the Drama CDs?

It's rather odd that they just drop this on us out of the blue.

"descend upon both familiar and foreign destinations"

Huh

"Hindrances"

Really now.......

That being said...since we're not at school, did they really have to mention the clubs? Eh whatever, no skin off my beak.

....Also Elliot was 16? Well ok sure.

Also...yeah good job at keeping Alfin's orbal staff a secret. Well at least I think not everyone will know since probably not everyone will read the site.

And...Sharon's weapon is "Steel Wires". Well....I suppose it's accurate...........but I was expecting something a bit more....tactful?

Good job at keeping the whole Towa thing as well. I was expecting something less...blunt than "Arts Gun" but.....oh well.

I loled at "Stahlritter" but sure whatever

MisawaMahoKodomo fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 3, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

Did they ever announce that they were going to translate the Drama CDs?

It's rather odd that they just drop this on us out of the blue.

they didn't make a big deal out of it because it's not that important, but yeah, they did

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I hope they do, because I really like the voice cast.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

ok yeah but when's it coming out xseed

mobile site says 7-23-16 :v:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm so happy Angelica went to Ymir with Class 7 :allears:

edit: you can tell this is a great website because there's TWO screenshots of Becky.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 3, 2016

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

I knew there would be a hot springs scene at some point in Cold Steel, I just didn't expect it to be in a Drama CD instead of the game.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
By the way, the site spoils just about every major plot twist in the first game, though given how CS2 is a direct sequel, that was probably unavoidable.

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

I loled at "Stahlritter" but sure whatever

Is it really that much weirder than the "Eisenritter"?

Erpy fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 3, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BLADE II MOTHERFUCKERS

I guess most of that other stuff looks neat idk

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Does cold steel 2 operate on a similar "time" system like the first or is it a bit more open ended? It's hard to tell with the whole traveling around the world thing.

Also, off the wall request: does anyone have that post credits shot from CSI in wallpaper size? the Class VII weapons stuck in the ground picture

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Not sure what you mean by "time" system in CS1. The calendar is purely for story purposes and what not, it has absolutely no gameplay meaning at all.

If you mean linearity of plot, the plot is still mostly linear, with some parts where your objectives are non linear

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

Not sure what you mean by "time" system in CS1. The calendar is purely for story purposes and what not, it has absolutely no gameplay meaning at all.

If you mean linearity of plot, the plot is still mostly linear, with some parts where your objectives are non linear

Things like if I did the schoolhouse before finding a hidden quest or something, it would advance time to night and lock me out of doing it. I guess every Trails game has that though.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
I'd imagine most games have windows for their quests or thingies, hidden or not, but yes.....though I don't really recall any examples off the top of my head, I can barely process the main storyline by itself.

Edit 1.1:
After reading through the guide again, I kind of hammered the main plot progression into my head now. Kind of.

MisawaMahoKodomo fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 3, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
There's a plot hole in the Drama CD. The girls are shown the dress designs in Ymir in the CD, but in the game they act like they know nothing until they've picked them up. Laura even threatens to kill Rean over them on the ride there! And the Drama CD shows she was probably seriously going to do it! I guess you could rectify the plot hole by saying all of the girls are either super forgetful or don't trust Crow to have kept the designs the same

Levantine posted:

Also, off the wall request: does anyone have that post credits shot from CSI in wallpaper size? the Class VII weapons stuck in the ground picture

Maybe? I took this screenshot while playing but it depends what you mean by wallpaper size. The game only outputs in 720p so you'd have to re-scale from there on your own. And you'd probably want to use auto-fill to do something about the junk at the bottom--I'm sure the LP could produce something without it at the end if you request it.

Decus fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 3, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Decus posted:

There's a plot hole in the Drama CD. The girls are shown the dress designs in Ymir in the CD, but in the game they act like they know nothing until they've picked them up. Laura even threatens to kill Rean over them on the ride there! And the Drama CD shows she was probably seriously going to do it! I guess you could rectify the plot hole by saying all of the girls are either super forgetful or don't trust Crow to have kept the designs the same

Maybe? I took this screenshot while playing but it depends what you mean by wallpaper size. The game only outputs in 720p so you'd have to re-scale from there on your own. And you'd probably want to use auto-fill to do something about the junk at the bottom--I'm sure the LP could produce something without it at the end if you request it.

Thanks for this!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm at the beginning of Chapter 5 in Cold Steel and so far I don't think I like it as much as Sky. The structure of the game (class day -> free day + school dungeon -> practical exam -> field study -> repeat) makes it feel routine instead of fresh and interesting, and the school setting doesn't feel like it has any meaning, especially the links since you just get a ton of points as part of the story anyway. And the story itself is kind of weird, throwing 2 new characters at me so close to the end of the game (been looking at a quest list so I don't miss anything so I know how many chapters there are) and it just seemed to meander about up until the end of chapter 4. I know Sky FC took a while to get going but even then it got my attention even when nothing was going on.

It also feels sluggish in menus and the animation is bad (those after battle fist bumps, yikes). I know Falcom games aren't known for the amazing graphics but I'm no animator and I've done better messing about in source filmmaker.

As for combat, it was kind of difficult at first but now I'm going through pretty much every battle by mashing attack. When it's a boss I buff everyone then mash attack. Or use an S-Craft and kill everything at once. Hopefully the battles start to require some strategy soon.

The characters themselves aren't as interesting as in Sky either. Some of them like Fie subverted tropes enough that I enjoy them but everyone else is pretty one note with a sad/tragic/bad past and these characters dont get along, now these ones dont, and now these two are in a thing. Rean himself is the worst offender, I mean just look at him

I know it sounds like I'm harping on the game but I still enjoy it, I just don't think it's as good as Sky was.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It gets there. It just takes a bit longer. I think 2 is set up to be amazing.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I hope so.

Are the crossbell games any good? I know they're not getting localized but I wanna know if I'm missing anything or not.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it seems to be a somewhat majority opinion that they're the best arc in the series

also they are in localization limbo technically, there hasn't been a definitive word either way so they are neither impossible or a sure-thing

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chapter 5 is actually where I'd say routines start shaking up and fights start getting tougher, so hang in there.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

can you switch difficulty mid-game because normal is not that tough at all

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've heard good things about Zero/Azure, though a lot of untranslated games are talked up as being the best or worst thing ever up until they're actually localized.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Overbite posted:

It also feels sluggish in menus and the animation is bad (those after battle fist bumps, yikes). I know Falcom games aren't known for the amazing graphics but I'm no animator and I've done better messing about in source filmmaker.

it's like a PS2 game

Cake Attack posted:

can you switch difficulty mid-game because normal is not that tough at all

you cannot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Overbite posted:

The characters themselves aren't as interesting as in Sky either. Some of them like Fie subverted tropes enough that I enjoy them but everyone else is pretty one note with a sad/tragic/bad past and these characters dont get along, now these ones dont, and now these two are in a thing. Rean himself is the worst offender, I mean just look at him

rean owns, sorry

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

insanely hot take: rean is a better protagonist than estelle

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

can't believe endorph and cake attack are about to fight to the death

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Motto posted:

can't believe endorph and cake attack are about to fight to the death

http://i.imgur.com/wSiP09P.mp4

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

Endorph posted:

hey now don't say things you can't take back

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

Rean owns but that's a bridge too far

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Gonna have to say gameplay wise, I enjoy Cold Steel a lot more because the battles aren't nearly as sluggish like Sky's. Though story wise, yeah I find the writing in Cold Steel to be weaker. I'm hoping CS II will be better in that regard.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

it's not true but Rean is good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rean actually grows as a character and also demonstrates traits that explain why he is the protagonist and the leader. he's got a good head on his shoulders, is diplomatic, knows how to work with the people around him, etc.

estelle's growth is kind of just off-screen inbetween games and everyone just acts like she's a complete incompetent moron until she doesn't, and she kind of just beats stuff over the head with a stick until she's the defacto protagonist.

estelle's a really fun character mind but a lot of the writing around her is weird and it detracts from her role as the main character of the sky games, and more than that a lot of her involvement in the main plot is like a step removed from the actual plot? like she cares about a thing because it affected joshua, or an antagonist cares about her because she's related to cassius, or whatever. it never feels like she's the star of her own show. rean has several plot beats, characteristics, and relationships that tie him directly to the main thread of the story.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

she kind of just beats stuff over the head with a stick until she's the defacto protagonist.

Yeah, she's the best

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Endorph comin into this thread with Slur tier opinions. I know its been a hot summer but stay cool Endorph I don't want you to get braindead from heatstroke.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm almost at the end of Cold Steel 1 and while I don't dislike Rean he does seem like kind of a boring MC, I haven't really gotten any sort of feel for whatever his arc is supposed to be about. Like he's just kind of there, going through the motions and ticking off the JRPG main character plot development checklist. Inoffensively, mind you, but nothing too exciting either. I kind of like Cold Steel's cast in general though, there aren't really any duds like Zane or Tita at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

call me hosed, but i think rean and estelle are both good protagonists in different ways for their respective stories