Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Cross-post but Google updated Tiltbrush with a rad update today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFzAB4mr3KI

Son of a... hurry up and come out with your stupid hand simulators Oculus... I don't want to have to double dip, or dip and switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
God, I cannot wait to play with that.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I realised something, before clickin BUY on the HTC Vive, I don't got 3 square feet free of furniture available near my computer :\ guess I could get a Rift instead

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The Vive can do sitdown experiences as well dude, but the majority of "must have" content is roomscale.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
But I still need to setup the sensors, right? Not like I can just put them up and pointing down to the space between my desk and armoire.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Honest Thief posted:

But I still need to setup the sensors, right? Not like I can just put them up and pointing down to the space between my desk and armoire.

That would work. You only really need one if you're doing seated, but 2 will be used if you set both up. You could probably even put them on your desk. There's a different setup for seated-only that you can go through. (You might also be surprised at a few games being playable in a pretty small space)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Honest Thief posted:

I have mine pointing down from shelves. I had to screw them into a chunk of wood for a base first, though. So you kind of can if you want to?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I imagine the rift is better at dealing with mirrors. My vive still goes a bit funky if I turn towards a mirror.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The scanned space needs to be free of clutter, how well does Vive work with furniture and in general?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Honest Thief posted:

The scanned space needs to be free of clutter, how well does Vive work with furniture and in general?

It only deals with walls. Just dont be an idiot and remember things.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Playing in a slightly too small space, and as long as you're careful near the edges it's okay.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Alright, guess I'm getting this thing, now to find a way to take with me on the plane back home.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

That seems odd, considering that Oculus is doing image processing from a USB3 video stream, while the Vive is just picking up on pulsed lasers. Unless you meant the games in general?

That keeps being brought up but has been proven to be pretty much moot.

How Moot?

I ran a few test when I first got my Rift and was able to play games like EVE Valkyrie with my 3930K CPU locked at 1.2Ghz with the affinity set to a single core for both the game and the Oculus process'es. (one core access for the game, and another for the Oculus stuff so emulating it as if it was working on a dual core).

It was perfectly playable.

Same with Farlands and Henry :)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have like 1m X 1m of spac and the vive works fine and so does roomscale

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So I got access to the V alpha today and it's pretty neat.

It's an injector that adds a web browser window into any VR game (currently only oculus games launched from the store, openVR & vive soon). Also adds a persistent clock and fps counter (you have to look way up) while a window is open, reported >90 fps the entire time and performance - outside of clipping in and out of the game's geometry - was good.

I can see myself using it for looking up bits of game walkthroughs if I ever get stuck, watching tv/movies, and maybe even popping into chat clients instead of trying to peek out the bottom or taking the headset off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can it bring in any window or just its browser? If it uses its own browser instead of mine, I don't trust it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Can it bring in any window or just its browser? If it uses its own browser instead of mine, I don't trust it.

It seems to only be a browser, which is a bit disappointing.

It'd be neat to have the functionality of ChromeOS ported over, I have a feeling mobile apps (that is, Android applications) would translate well to a VR environment. Better than desktop apps currently do anyway.

EDIT:
What I really want to see though is a VR native desktop interface where applications can be properly multitasked. At the moment it's all very modal, each application essentially rendering an entire view and pushing it to the compositor where it is either hidden or layered on top of something else or whatever. What I'd like to see eventually is something closer in functionality to a window manager, but instead of windows the programs are actual 3d objects.

For example, pooltable.exe doesn't throw you into another environment, instead injecting itself in your own custom environment. You could decorate your room with different programs running independently but using the same APIs.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 4, 2016

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Your mileage may vary but I have my base stations about 3 feet off the ground and they work fine. No need for a link cable or anything.

My neck is actually stiff. I think being so out of shape is catching up to me in Rec Room paintball.

I actually got sweaty.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Rated PG-34 posted:

I imagine the rift is better at dealing with mirrors. My vive still goes a bit funky if I turn towards a mirror.
If you have a Rift camera facing a mirror I imagine it would probably not be great, but aside from that yeah. For best performance in general you'll probably want to cover anything reflective while using either headset.

FormatAmerica posted:

It's an injector that adds a web browser window into any VR game (currently only oculus games launched from the store, openVR & vive soon). Also adds a persistent clock and fps counter (you have to look way up) while a window is open, reported >90 fps the entire time and performance - outside of clipping in and out of the game's geometry - was good.

I can see myself using it for looking up bits of game walkthroughs if I ever get stuck, watching tv/movies, and maybe even popping into chat clients instead of trying to peek out the bottom or taking the headset off.
That's neat, if only because it shows that overlays in titles using the Oculus SDK is possible. This already exists and is very cool, but it doesn't work in certain games like Elite since it's currently SteamVR-only and there's no way to force the use of SteamVR in Elite (see also: War Thunder).

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Lloyds thinks I'm commiting credit fraud when trying to pay for the damned Vive.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

FormatAmerica posted:

I got in as well but was waiting to comment until I got my hands on the newer build. I played with both it and the Unity overlay that was posted a week or so ago that works in SteamVR stuff.

They both work for what they are designed for, V needs a bit more control over the window which the devs say is coming as well as pinning so you can go back to what you were doing while the window remains in place. The Unity overlay worked well for that, but only works in the SteamVR games and is much harder to tinker with exclusively in VR unless I am missing some part of the VR Overlay working with that. It worked really well to bring VLC and such in which I hope V will do soon as well.

Right now V cannot do Netflix (or any Silverlight app yet) nor does it work in Elite yet but they say both are coming along and will work eventually.
I am also meeting up with the V team at VRLA this weekend so I look forward to that. Going to network my rear end off to see if I can get my foot into the VR door like I have been wanting.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Eddy I saw you mentioned No Man's Sky in the GPU thread, I knew some stuff about the game but now I'm super pumped because I found out 65daysofstatic did their soundtrack and put it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWX54C49pw

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Eddy I saw you mentioned No Man's Sky in the GPU thread, I knew some stuff about the game but now I'm super pumped because I found out 65daysofstatic did their soundtrack and put it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWX54C49pw

Yea I listened to the one song for the Intro or whatever on Soundcloud months ago and loved it. The game seems to hit a lot of good points with the Audio definitely being one. I do hope VR comes to it in time as being able to fly around in VR (and even some walking around, maybe add roomscale support for that?) would sure be fun.

Even without, it just looks really promising so I hope they do deliver. It and Astroneer I really look forward to. There is just something about space/exploration games...

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Honest Thief posted:

Lloyds thinks I'm commiting credit fraud when trying to pay for the damned Vive.

Yeah, they did that to me. Just wait for their text, tell them it was you, and then try again in a few minutes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

Digital River strikes again

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is NMS going to support VR on PC?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Alright, HTC Vive incoming, hopefully the carrier doesn't kick the parcel too harshly and I might have it up and running next week or later.
:frogbon:

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

Alright, HTC Vive incoming, hopefully the carrier doesn't kick the parcel too harshly and I might have it up and running next week or later.
:frogbon:

Even if they do, it's packaged really securely.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Truga posted:

Is NMS going to support VR on PC?

AFAIK there is zero VR support for NMS on any platform.

App13 posted:

That and it's a big rear end heavy box. Someone kicking it probably wouldn't enjoy their foot right afterward.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So anyone going to VRLA this weekend? Will be there for Saturday trying to see and network with as many VR companies as possible.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

App13 posted:

I'm not going to be the first to test it, but I'd be willing to bet that at least the original huge box could survive the full Ace Ventura treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOJiEgxt7RY

No idea how the new smaller box would hold up, presumably the drop in size came from reducing the padding (which is admittedly overkill).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

AFAIK there is zero VR support for NMS on any platform.

I'm about 99% sure they said PSVR support confirmed, but I can't find anything about PC VR

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Truga posted:

I'm about 99% sure they said PSVR support confirmed, but I can't find anything about PC VR
They've never straight up confirmed it but they've strongly implied that they want to do VR and that they've at least worked on some kind of NMS VR demo internally. They definitely have multiple VR headsets in their office too, PSVR included.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
While accessories for the rift aren't technically up for sale, people have been putting in tickets to get replacements and have prices for various things. The camera costs 99 dollars, cable is 59 dollars, headphones are 45 dollars, facial interfaces are 20 dollars. No one really knows how much Oculus paid for the xbone controllers and I don't know if there has been a price listed for the remote yet. That puts the price for just the headset around 350 dollars which technically is in the ballpark everyone latched onto.

Interesting that the Vive base station costs 34 dollars more than the Rift camera. Everyone was blabbering on about the camera being so expensive compared to what they thought were simple, cheap parts. Though 99 dollars for the rift camera, and vive controllers being 130 dollars each, touch is probably going to be closer to 300 dollars rather than the 200 everyone hoped for. Though the camera is definitely not that 200 dollar webcam that one guy claimed it was because they had the same cylindrical shape.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Cojawfee posted:

While accessories for the rift aren't technically up for sale, people have been putting in tickets to get replacements and have prices for various things. The camera costs 99 dollars, cable is 59 dollars, headphones are 45 dollars, facial interfaces are 20 dollars. No one really knows how much Oculus paid for the xbone controllers and I don't know if there has been a price listed for the remote yet. That puts the price for just the headset around 350 dollars which technically is in the ballpark everyone latched onto.

Interesting that the Vive base station costs 34 dollars more than the Rift camera. Everyone was blabbering on about the camera being so expensive compared to what they thought were simple, cheap parts. Though 99 dollars for the rift camera, and vive controllers being 130 dollars each, touch is probably going to be closer to 300 dollars rather than the 200 everyone hoped for. Though the camera is definitely not that 200 dollar webcam that one guy claimed it was because they had the same cylindrical shape.

Cable is $59? Must be some monster cable

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's some proprietary jobbie whereas the vive cable is just three cables glued together.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Cojawfee posted:

That's exactly what I expected the camera to cost on its own. Good to know if I decide I want to stick one in each corner of my room. And $300 was my guess for Touch as well.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Cojawfee posted:

It's some proprietary jobbie whereas the vive cable is just three cables glued together.

Luckily no room scale for oculus so you won't ever need to extend it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

homeless snail posted:

They've never straight up confirmed it but they've strongly implied that they want to do VR and that they've at least worked on some kind of NMS VR demo internally. They definitely have multiple VR headsets in their office too, PSVR included.
I don't have high hopes for PSVR support on the PS4, maybe only on the Neo if anything. I mean, they would have to get it running at a pretty high frame rate, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Edit: whatever, this post was even dumber.