Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
one time I caught a medium-sized spider and put it outside in front the panel, during voir dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

blarzgh posted:

one time I caught a medium-sized spider and put it outside in front the panel, during voir dire.
Did it work?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

seacat posted:

Wow, why did you put up with this poo poo for this long? I was expecting some inappropriate comments but... holy poo poo, I think my roughneck friend has a better work environment on the oil rig. What type of work do you do... looks like software development?

You don't want to use someone this insane as a reference no matter whether they were good or bad. For what it's worth, the vast majority of decent managers acknowledge that crazy bosses exist and for some reason are tolerated. It's highly, highly unlikely to hurt you in any way to just refer them to HR for this company, much less likely than letting them actually talk to this lunatic.

If you're willing to file a complaint or some sort of legal action against this dude you'd be setting a good example, it's doubtful that you're the only one being subject to this. Even if HR doesn't give a poo poo the company owners/upper management might. This isnt exactly some dude making an awkward compliment or something.

Having worked at a law firm in the midwest, those comments seemed pretty normal actually

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

Did you explain that spiders are our friends in the war against bugs? Then did you explain how spidergirls are extremely sexy?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

blarzgh posted:

Did you do the old trick of catching it between an upside down glass and a traffic ticket?

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

seacat posted:

Wow, why did you put up with this poo poo for this long? I was expecting some inappropriate comments but... holy poo poo, I think my roughneck friend has a better work environment on the oil rig. What type of work do you do... looks like software development?

You don't want to use someone this insane as a reference no matter whether they were good or bad. For what it's worth, the vast majority of decent managers acknowledge that crazy bosses exist and for some reason are tolerated. It's highly, highly unlikely to hurt you in any way to just refer them to HR for this company, much less likely than letting them actually talk to this lunatic.

If you're willing to file a complaint or some sort of legal action against this dude you'd be setting a good example, it's doubtful that you're the only one being subject to this. Even if HR doesn't give a poo poo the company owners/upper management might. This isnt exactly some dude making an awkward compliment or something.

Follow-up:
Submitted resignation ("effective immediately") to VP. After a brief conversation about circumstance, she was very upset -- apologized repeatedly, said I am always welcome back in the future, and offered to be a professional reference for me. So - good reference obtained, from the company VP. (Of course I understand no one's obligated to be a reference, but I wanted to leave as diplomatically as possible).
Provided documentation, and stated my concern (at this point) was to document what's going on because there's another young woman working for my boss - and she needs to be protected from his behavior.

As for why I stayed so long:
I am not financially solvent enough to just 'quit' a job without something else lined up. I was patient, got an offer for a better position at another company, and accepted it.
I have also seen multiple people be fired apropos nothing at this workplace (at-will state), and got the impression that regardless of legality, retributive firing was likely.
Finally, it was my first professional (i.e., non-research/fellowship) position out of grad school and a major professional shift (rare books to analysis work). Showing competency was important to me.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
You don't need to justify why you left, it was pretty obvious. Good for you.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
- I caught it with my hands;
- half the panel was freaked out, so I said, "Don't worry, we have a spider rescue right out back; you can donate on PayPal." There were some sincere, and some tense laughs.
- I got my conviction and the full fine, but it was a speeding ticket, so I could have farted and fell down and still won.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I could have farted and fell down and still won.

Then why did you show off?

E: poo poo poo poo poo poo <blarzgh is a traffic ticket lawyer joke>

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Wait that was for real

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

To echo what the besotted French stranger said, you handled the whole thing incredibly well.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

joat mon posted:

To echo what the besotted French stranger said, you handled the whole thing incredibly well.

Did you make the boudin and if so was it good?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Wait that was for real

I live in Texas.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

I live in Texas.

why didn't you shoot the spider then

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

why didn't you shoot the varmint then

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Spiders are our friends in the war against bugs, and now you are my enemy blarzgh.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I said I took it to a Spider Rescue!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yes but now the inside of your drab traffic ticket shake down office where you abuse the rural poor (aka muni court) is subject to mosquitoes, which means that whole panel was subject to Zika virus. Won't you think of the children?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Did you make the boudin and if so was it good?

Damnit, no. Too much going on. We'll try it (but with frozen ground pork) later.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

Having worked at a law firm in the midwest, those comments seemed pretty normal actually

I didn't think the comments we're that bad either, but the guy making them was a moron for being a lightening rod. He simply didn't understand that he was letting his guard down around the wrong people.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

joat mon posted:

Damnit, no. Too much going on. We'll try it (but with frozen ground pork) later.

If you do I have a smaller scale recipe that looks really good.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

patentmagus posted:

I didn't think the comments we're that bad either, but the guy making them was a moron for being a lightening rod. He simply didn't understand that he was letting his guard down around the wrong people.

Right like if those women and minorities just knew their place they wouldn't be in a professional workplace where they would have to listen to someone talk about how dumb or hormonal they must be.

I'm all for cracking jokes in the office but you're right, you should know your audience. And just maybe, there is no correct office audience to hit on or listen to your theories on why everyone should be shot.

e:VVV that's the thing, it doesn't make it ok when it's another coworker who does it, but that person isn't going to fire you when you speak up and tell him your tits and your period aren't his business. It's a different beast when some shithead supervisor does it.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 1, 2016

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

NancyPants posted:

Right like if those women and minorities just knew their place they wouldn't be in a professional workplace where they would have to listen to someone talk about how dumb or hormonal they must be.

I'm all for cracking jokes in the office but you're right, you should know your audience. And just maybe, there is no correct office audience to hit on or listen to your theories on why everyone should be shot.

I know goons will be goons. Regardless.

I've been in boy's clubs my entire life - ROTC, engineering school (80% men in my grad class), played ice hockey through college. I have a thick skin for this kind of poo poo; this is the first time in my life I've ever left a job over this kind of behavior because it was categorically the most egregious I've ever dealt with.

These were daily comments from a workplace superior, with no recourse. The document is probably 15% of things said. My only other co-worker was a young woman, this was her first job out of college. Our boss has been lovely to her, as well, and I spoke up for her sake, too.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Bitchkrieg posted:

I've been in boy's clubs my entire life - ROTC, engineering school (80% men in my grad class), played ice hockey through college. I have a thick skin for this kind of poo poo; this is the first time in my life I've ever left a job over this kind of behavior because it was categorically the most egregious I've ever dealt with.

These were daily comments from a workplace superior, with no recourse. The document is probably 15% of things said. My only other co-worker was a young woman, this was her first job out of college. Our boss has been lovely to her, as well, and I spoke up for her sake, too.

Yeah I can kind of see why the lawyers ITT are all pissed off and jaded and snarky if they have to put up with that sort of environment. Honestly every place has some crude jokes going around but that would never be tolerated in any of the workplaces I've been in and I'm in North Texas so its not exactly liberal country. I've met so many people that have dealt with different levels of insanity and just kind of put up with it cause they thought it was the same way everywhere. Congrats on your new job.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I'm looking for advice on trademarking a phrase. Think "Roll Tide" except 1/10000000th of the size, but similar and completely unrelated to the University of Alabama.

I have a similar phrase, which I've owned the domain name for for a while (i'm not sure this even gives me more of a leg up to it's "ownership"?). I'd like to use it to sell t shirts, hats, etc. with that phrase, as it is becoming more "mainstream".

I guess my questions are -

When filling out the TEAS Plus form - if I just select a decent amount of things under Section 025 (which tends to be clothing) and not Section 021, 028 or whatever (which are other branded goods)- do I run the risk of someone filing a trademark for the same phrase and then using it to sell products or claim use of it?

Also, pretend Roll Tide is the phrase - would "#rolltide" "RollTide" be protected automatically? Or would those be open to take by someone else?

I've obviously never done this before and just want to be sure I cover any bases ahead of time. If I can get a t shirt for sale with the phrase up on it asap before I even trademark it does that also give me more of a claim to it?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I'm looking for advice on trademarking a phrase. Think "Roll Tide" except 1/10000000th of the size, but similar and completely unrelated to the University of Alabama.

I have a similar phrase, which I've owned the domain name for for a while (i'm not sure this even gives me more of a leg up to it's "ownership"?). I'd like to use it to sell t shirts, hats, etc. with that phrase, as it is becoming more "mainstream".

I guess my questions are -

When filling out the TEAS Plus form - if I just select a decent amount of things under Section 025 (which tends to be clothing) and not Section 021, 028 or whatever (which are other branded goods)- do I run the risk of someone filing a trademark for the same phrase and then using it to sell products or claim use of it?

Also, pretend Roll Tide is the phrase - would "#rolltide" "RollTide" be protected automatically? Or would those be open to take by someone else?

I've obviously never done this before and just want to be sure I cover any bases ahead of time. If I can get a t shirt for sale with the phrase up on it asap before I even trademark it does that also give me more of a claim to it?

Hire a trademark lawyer to do it for you so you don't make dumb mistakes and leave potential options unprotected. If you're concerned enough to pay the filing fees for the marks, an actual lawyer who does this for a living is a worthwhile investment.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Kalman is an IP lawyer himself I think, so I'd definitely consider his advice as good and cool.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Bitchkrieg posted:

Regardless of all that, you handled the situation splendidly. You have a new job that is hopefully a better match. The company is alerted that one of its managers might have horrible judgement and worse self control. :toot:

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I'm looking for advice on trademarking a phrase...

If trademarking the phrase is a step toward some goal, then tell your TM lawyer what you are trying to accomplish and why so that you receive the right advice. Just a swag shop? Something more? Spill the details, you'll be protected by attorney-client privilege.

-or-

If you're just playing around and gambling with the application fee, press on with TEAS+ for the giggles and experience.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Thank you guys. Im gonna email a few local law firms who we have connections to at work

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Is any eCommerce company required by US law to maintain customer transaction records? I see many business reasons why you would want to (analysis, marketing, business development, etc.), but is it legally required? I see many laws on limits of what data you can collect, but not a "minimum" you must collect.

So my question is, if an ecommerce company immediately deleted all customer transaction data the moment a product was shipped, and deleted all server logs, is this any different than someone walking into a physical retail store and paying in cash?

If the government wanted transaction data, there would be no data to give.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Are all online drug assessment services scams? How do you tell which ones a court will accept the results of? Are they all like $500 to fill out the thing and then you have to take super expensive classes if they randomly decide you do?

If I had a serious substance abuse problem I'd prob just keep doing drugs if I had to drop $1000 just to take a class where they show me a powerpoint about not doing drugs

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

black.lion posted:

Are all online drug assessment services scams? How do you tell which ones a court will accept the results of? Are they all like $500 to fill out the thing and then you have to take super expensive classes if they randomly decide you do?

If I had a serious substance abuse problem I'd prob just keep doing drugs if I had to drop $1000 just to take a class where they show me a powerpoint about not doing drugs

-No, but it's harder to tell.
-If the court (judge) says he/she will. The DA may have some input as well.
-No, not necessarily, the legit ones aren't random.

It's usually either a condition of a plea bargain or an effort to get a better plea bargain. I don't know anyone who just up and decided to get an assessment for fun

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

_areaman posted:

Is any eCommerce company required by US law to maintain customer transaction records? I see many business reasons why you would want to (analysis, marketing, business development, etc.), but is it legally required? I see many laws on limits of what data you can collect, but not a "minimum" you must collect.

So my question is, if an ecommerce company immediately deleted all customer transaction data the moment a product was shipped, and deleted all server logs, is this any different than someone walking into a physical retail store and paying in cash?

If the government wanted transaction data, there would be no data to give.

Have you ever heard of Bitcoin?

Because if you're going to sell drugs online that's pretty much the standard I'm told.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

If someone's narcissism will cripple their defense, like Leona Helmsley, can they be declared unfit to stand trial?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

If someone's narcissism will cripple their defense, like Leona Helmsley, can they be declared unfit to stand trial?

Technically, if her narcissism made it impossible to communicate with her attorneys or unable to assist with her defense, possibly. As a practical matter, never. Being an rear end in a top hat doesn't mean you can't be tried. See, e.g., Denver Allen.
It would be her attorney's job to find co counsel who could manage her if he/she can't.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Have you ever heard of Bitcoin?

Because if you're going to sell drugs online that's pretty much the standard I'm told.

No, we don't want to sell drugs. We just want to sell things using a different ecommerce model. Whereas every company tracks and analyzes you, we do no such thing.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Whoever you use a payment processor will keep records and possibly/likely require you to keep certain records

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

EwokEntourage posted:

Whoever you use a payment processor will keep records and possibly/likely require you to keep certain records

Also if you sell someone something and then promptly delete all records of it... you can abscond with their money and say they never ordered it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Lobsterpillar posted:

Also if you sell someone something and then promptly delete all records of it... you can abscond with their money and say they never ordered it.

Maybe you've identified something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The IRS also might have something to say about you deleting all evidence of how your revenue works.