Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fuckman posted:

This seems like a weird tactic, employed solely by fanboys when it is convenient. Nerds are prejudiced against films when they have women directors or casts and aren't directed at white heterosexual cismales. But wait! They're also prejudiced against films when it looks like the white hetero cismale director goes to Gold's gym twice a month

Kurzon hunnie I hope you're taking notes this is how you do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fuckman posted:

This seems like a weird tactic, employed solely by fanboys when it is convenient. Nerds are prejudiced against films when they have women directors or casts and aren't directed at white heterosexual cismales. But wait! They're also prejudiced against films when it looks like the white hetero cismale director goes to Gold's gym twice a month

Are you arguing against yourself, here?

You're the one that's attacking the director.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

This is a forum where someone unironically told me that you aren't supposed to feel emotion in films because it's just made up, so I'm not surprised their idea of good film making is like the proverbial blind man describing an elephant while only holding its tail.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lazorexplosion posted:

This is a forum where someone unironically told me that you aren't supposed to feel emotion in films because it's just made up, so I'm not surprised their idea of good film making is like the proverbial blind man describing an elephant while only holding its tail.

it's also a forum where you and loving tezzor hang out so yeah this place really is the dregs

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

lazorexplosion posted:

Who told u that?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Hat Thoughts posted:

Who told u that?

That gem came from BravestOfTheLamps.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

lazorexplosion posted:

As it happens, David Ayers best film (End of Watch) has absolute poo poo cinematography but is good by virtue of its excellent characterization. Is that irony?

How is the cinematography poo poo?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

K. Waste posted:

How is the cinematography poo poo?

uhhhhhhh it was directed by a guy who then went on to direct filthy DC movies. Please try and keep up.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

You're saying you think End Of Watch is a beautifully shot film? Seriously? Is this some thing where you like it so you think it must be good in every aspect or something? If you're going to be obtuse about giving cinematography primacy over everything, you could at least pretend like you can judge cinematography well.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

the whole incredulous rhetorical questions act is getting pretty old too FYI

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

lazorexplosion posted:

You're saying you think End Of Watch is a beautifully shot film?

He did not say that. If your curious as to what he actually said, you could try reading his post. It's two above your own.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

lazorexplosion posted:

That gem came from BravestOfTheLamps.

O they post a lil too rowdy 4 my taste, but u post like...way too rowdy for my taste so tone it down maybe if u want other ppl to tone it down too.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

lazorexplosion posted:

You're saying you think End Of Watch is a beautifully shot film? Seriously? Is this some thing where you like it so you think it must be good in every aspect or something? If you're going to be obtuse about giving cinematography primacy over everything, you could at least pretend like you can judge cinematography well.

It's a discussion forum, buddy, you don't get to do drive-by posts calling a movie ugly without backing yourself up.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

It's a found footage film. Like a good proportion of the shots are literally composed like 'this is where the camera would be in the police car' 'this is where the camera would be if this guy was carrying it'. It's a format that almost explicitly rejects many considerations of good cinematography. Which is fine, because it doesn't need well composed shots to be a good film.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

lazorexplosion posted:

It's a found footage film. Like a good proportion of the shots are literally composed like 'this is where the camera would be in the police car' 'this is where the camera would be if this guy was carrying it'. It's a format that almost explicitly rejects many considerations of good cinematography.

Of traditional cinematography, maybe, but found footage follows its own rules and has its own standards of good imagecrafting. merely being found footage is not enough to call something Bad.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

mr. stefan posted:

Of traditional cinematography, maybe, but found footage follows its own rules and has its own standards of good imagecrafting. merely being found footage is not enough to call something Bad.

I kinda feel like this doesn't even disagree with what I said. Sure, I'll agree it has good cinematography for a format that rejects consideration of traditional good cinematography in favor of other considerations. Which is not the same thing as saying it has good cinematography.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

lazorexplosion posted:

Sure, I'll agree it has good cinematography . . . Which is not the same thing as saying it has good cinematography.

??????

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

lazorexplosion posted:

I kinda feel like this doesn't even disagree with what I said. Sure, I'll agree it has good cinematography for a format that rejects consideration of traditional good cinematography in favor of other considerations. Which is not the same thing as saying it has good cinematography.

There is not only one right way to do things.

Fuckman
Jul 30, 2016

by Cowcaster

computer parts posted:

There is not only one right way to do things.

How much money have you made from defending DCU films, on a scale of $0-$0

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Found footage movies aren't just point and shoot. They're still composed and employ traditional elements of 2D composition. They don't necessarily drop those for the sake of realism.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

lazorexplosion posted:

There are found footage films with absolutely garbage cinematography and there are some with great cinematography within the self imposed limitations. The choice of camera sources, positioning and cuts involves just as much careful decision making as a 'traditional film'. The cinematography itself is meant to convey a different mood through being found footage, same with the sometimes jarring editing style that can go with it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

In addition, End of Watch isn't purely found footage.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I actually like the really high shutter-speed that so much of End of Watch is shot in, it's really unsettling. Ditto the high exposure that frequently 'bleaches out' a lot of texture while emphasizing the uncanny, streamlined, industrial smoothness of metallic or gaudy surfaces (vehicles, weapons, bling in particular). Like, none of it is what I'd call 'picturesque' or anything, but it's not precisely like the movie is trying to portray characters who are in a sublimating mindset.

Something I noticed only once lazorexplosion had his tantrum was how often the camera isn't just using an extreme wide lens, and canted to a disorienting angle, but it's also frequently aligned with a character's arms, emphasizing both the power and weakness to what is literally 'the arm of the law.' Intercut with the more 'objective' shots of dashcams and body-mounted cameras, you get a really great sense of just how fragile these overt displays of power are, of how they can be compromised at any moment by one blind-spot, by one flare in the eye, by one moment's slip up or hesitation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNUi034n5XY

I think what lazorexplosion is doing here is making the classic mistake of confusing motivated cinematography with bad cinematography, as if the point of all of this 'Bad Avengers Shot of the Day' stuff is to enforce this totalitarian aesthetic.

It's not.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
End of Watch has a really effective, sun-bleached 'LA' look to it. The cinematography is good, it's just that Los Angeles is an ugly city.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 4, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fuckman posted:

How much money have you made from defending DCU films, on a scale of $0-$0

I actually get money every time you rereg.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Fuckman posted:

I want you all to visit the obscure website Youtube.com and search for Zack Snyder until you've seen enough of the man speaking and describing his creative decisions and the reasons behind them to disabuse yourself of the notion that he is a misunderstood genius and start becoming impressed at the apparent fact that he dresses himself without a team of nurses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkklBeLfZxo&t=341s

Seems a lot smarter than most people on the subject to me. Even if I don't agree with some of his creative decisions, he's clearly not some dullard stumbling through the dark with material he doesn't have any understanding of.

Look at how many nerds continue to parrot that Snyder "missed the point" of Watchmen, because they have no grasp of how to read a scene or distinguish satire. It's really funny.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Equilibrium posted:

some dullard stumbling through the dark with material he doesn't have any understanding of.

pretty apt description of Man of Steel actually

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fuckman posted:

Three characters meet in the woods. Thor is angry that his very dangerous brother has escaped and mere mortals who don't know what they are dealing with refuse to hand him to the gods' justice. Tony Stark is irreverent, literally, which further angers Thor, who we know to be a pompous, violent hothead. Stark is arrogant and possessive and dismissive, he sees Thor as an annoyance and an interloper keeping him from his goal. Thor sees Stark as a deluded fool. Thor attacks and Stark rises to the challenge, to prove the tech he built is above so-called magic. From afar, Loki watches with glee. They fight and Thor inadvertently gives Stark a brief advantage, which sets the tone - Thor is clearly more powerful, but Stark's cleverness keeps them evenly matched. Steve Rogers arrives to play peacemaker, but misjudged how much Thor - an unknown to him at this point- is amped for a fight. Thor blindly attacks Rogers in a rage, causing a wave of destruction. The characters stand up, the climax passed. Rogers asks "Are we done here," and indeed, we are. But the cinematography is lame, and that's the important thing, say guys who defend the Star Wars prequels.

On the other hand, two characters hate each other, but one realizes that they both have a mommy named Martha. But with good slow-mo cinematography pictures you could screenshot for your wallpaper. I can't imagine why one is considered a boring mess

To be more accurate, Batman "hates" Superman because he looks at Superman and sees this weird hosed-up alien that everyone's treating like a god. Superman's opinion is more like "dude stop there's more important poo poo going on." The Martha thing kind of works for me because it humanizes Superman in Batman's eyes- it reveals to Batman that Superman isn't just the blue spandex and cape, there's also a regular, ordinary farm boy named Clark hiding under there who's just as terrified of the deification he's receiving as Batman is. It's a little clunky, but I can totally see where they were going with it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's not even that. In fact, Batman acknowledges - as he winds up to murder Superman - that he's sure Superman had a mommy and daddy just like Batman did, and that mommy and daddy told Superman that Superman'd be special, etc, but tough poo poo it's time to die.

What snaps Batman out of it is the accusation that BATMAN'S letting people kill BATMAN'S OWN mom - which he is, figuratively speaking.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Bro Dad posted:

pretty apt description of Man of Steel actually

this is a pretty good hot-take on a 3 year old film that's better than the more recent zack snyder film that is actually being discussed???

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

ungulateman posted:

this is a pretty good hot-take on a 3 year old film that's better than the more recent zack snyder film that is actually being discussed???

his post had a man of steel interview in it

also im sorry you actually liked that movie :(

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bro Dad posted:

his post had a man of steel interview in it

also im sorry you actually liked that movie :(

I can't speak for ungulateman, but I personally don't find liking things to be too terrible a burden.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

lazorexplosion posted:

It's a found footage film. Like a good proportion of the shots are literally composed like 'this is where the camera would be in the police car' 'this is where the camera would be if this guy was carrying it'.

Well now you're getting confused, because that's every shot in every movie. The camera will be placed as if it's a character's POV, or as if it's a God's-eye perspective. It'll be placed as if you're eavesdropping, and so-on. It's not 'random pretty pictures'.

The specific shot we're talking about, in Dawn, is intercut with diegetic TV interview footage - but the camera does an impossible gliding motion. This footage is extradiegetic, someone's subjective interpretation of events. And then, at the end of the montage, it's revealed whose perspective it is:

The scene is Clark Kent looking at Superman from the outside, recalling the events, empathizing with the people who were awed and frightened by him. Look at the eyelines - where the man is pointing in the first shot. When Clark looks back on the event, his perspective is much closer to the ground than it 'objectively' was. He feels bad for that woman.

This confuses Tezzor because, in both shots, Superman remains mostly still, and does not narrate what's happening to the audience. The information is conveyed almost purely through the motion of the camera and some editing.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 4, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ferrinus posted:

It's not even that. In fact, Batman acknowledges - as he winds up to murder Superman - that he's sure Superman had a mommy and daddy just like Batman did, and that mommy and daddy told Superman that Superman'd be special, etc, but tough poo poo it's time to die.

What snaps Batman out of it is the accusation that BATMAN'S letting people kill BATMAN'S OWN mom - which he is, figuratively speaking.

Well, yeah, on the surface he's aware that that was a thing beforehand, but it doesn't truly sink in until he sees Superman in a moment of weakness- one which connects back to the original perceived moment of weakness that Bruce became Batman over. Batman initially sees the farm boy reporter as the mask and the demigod as the underlying thing, when in reality Superman's the other way around.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Fuckman posted:

Huh. It seems as if audiences and critics are less interested in what pretty frozen images you can screenshot for internet forums, and more interested in characterization, interaction and dialogue, ie the things humans react to in a story. There must be something wrong with them

On the other hand, two characters hate each other, but one realizes that they both have a mommy named Martha.
Pretty much every BvS shot with characters in it has more characterization than an entire scene of Marvel banter. You have to be capable of reading visual language of film though, which you seem to struggle with. Actually, you'd have to miss out not only on visual language on film but also visual acting, i.e. actors' expressions, body language and all that other good stuff that's part of any human interaction, if you think that "two characters hate each other, but one realizes they both have a mommy named Martha" is in any way an adequate summary of what happened in BvS. Another scene:

quote:

The problem is when you try to apply that image to a moving picture. We get an image of a Superman who looks like a weird, distant, alien rear end in a top hat, who is floating there watching these people scramble for safety, perhaps moments away from their home collapsing from the floodwaters and plunging them into the current, while they reach out to him for help and he stays there, unmoving. It creates a great image!! It creates a character who feels like an emotionless sadist drinking in their supplication.
In addition to what was said re. ambiguity of Superman's image, it could also be read as being in slow-motion where Superman takes a second to recon the area to see the optimal path to take so that everyone's brought to safety rather than mindlessly charging to the nearest raft while the ones around it may be closer to sinking and might not survive by the time he gets to them.

For real though, I don't think characterization through images is inherently superior to characterization through dialogue, there's time and place for both, but it does strike me that a lot of complaints about BvS and other Snyder's films having lacking characterization or confusing character motivations boil down to the fact of people not picking up on a lot of visual cues rather than anything based in reality. One image worth a thousand words, etc.

Equilibrium posted:

This is why Cinematography is important. Look at the feelings it evokes, the meltdowns it provokes.
This, unironically.

The Avengers concept art vs final images on the previous pages showed me I could have actually found the film interesting if it was shot like that, as, once again, the first image with Iron Man/Thor/Captain America in the forest tells you about their character and conflict more than anything from the finished film. As it is, although I enjoyed the first few Marvels I watched, now I can't even be bothered to watch most of the newer ones as they all blend together. Am probably going to watch the new Thor as I'm curious to see if Waititi can bring anything new plus I like the casting, and I'll watch GotG2 as I want to see Stallone and Kurt Russell in a superhero film, but that's about it.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Pretty much every BvS shot with characters in it has more characterization than an entire scene of Marvel banter.

The most CineD post of all time

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Fuckman posted:

I want you all to visit the obscure website Youtube.com and search for Zack Snyder until you've seen enough of the man speaking and describing his creative decisions and the reasons behind them to disabuse yourself of the notion that he is a misunderstood genius and start becoming impressed at the apparent fact that he dresses himself without a team of nurses.

:ironicat:
Coming from the guy who has spent over $60 on an Internet forum to melt down about people liking Star Wars.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Bro Dad posted:

The most CineD post of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOzD4Sfgag

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Ferrinus posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I one of the ways sort of taking the whole thing as Batman sees everyone as a potential Batman in the making with the right environment and resources.

Bruce was probably a little boy with parents who told him he was going to grow up to be special, who grew up with power and privilege, etc. If one bad day was enough to turn someone like a one-percenter Bruce Wayne into something like Batman, what would a similar bad day turn something on the power scale of Superman into in response when/if it eventually happens?

In part, him choosing to save Martha is him trying to keep Superman from becoming him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Well, yeah, on the surface he's aware that that was a thing beforehand, but it doesn't truly sink in until he sees Superman in a moment of weakness- one which connects back to the original perceived moment of weakness that Bruce became Batman over. Batman initially sees the farm boy reporter as the mask and the demigod as the underlying thing, when in reality Superman's the other way around.

I bet Batman would have loved That Monologue from Kill Bill 2.

• Locked thread