Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
You should also read Yona of the Dawn, it's good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
It might make you sadder though!

Edit: Kakukaku Shikajika I mean

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Kakukaku is unique, I'd definitely consider it one of the best manga I've read, and also one of the best autobiographies. It pivots between honest emotion, humour, and beauty so naturally.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Caitlin posted:

All the anime and manga I know is old stuff

If you want to double down on that, read Sukeban Deka. A shoujo manga from the late 70s about badass delinquent school girl who becomes an undercover cop.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Baron Snow posted:

If you want to double down on that, read Sukeban Deka. A shoujo manga from the late 70s about badass delinquent school girl who becomes an undercover cop.

You know, I've watched and even played/own Sukeban Deka games but I hadn't considered looking at the comic so THANKS FOR THAT SUGGESTION because it legit sounds like fun! :toot:

Chas McGill posted:

Kakukaku is unique, I'd definitely consider it one of the best manga I've read, and also one of the best autobiographies. It pivots between honest emotion, humour, and beauty so naturally.

Lobsterman posted:

It might make you sadder though!

Edit: Kakukaku Shikajika I mean

Such glowing endorsements! I will have to read it, I will just also have to be prepared to be sad (so thanks for the heads up!).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
These are funny and/or fluffy in case you want something more lighthearted due to being a sad sack:
Ore Monogatari
Honey So Sweet
Kamisama Kiss
Takane to Hana
Usotsuki Lily
Taiyou No Ie
Koisuru Harinezumi

also I would suggest lurking the thread and picking up whatever people are posting updates about, it's a good way to find new stuff.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Everything Burrito posted:

These are funny and/or fluffy in case you want something more lighthearted due to being a sad sack:
Ore Monogatari
Honey So Sweet
Kamisama Kiss
Takane to Hana
Usotsuki Lily
Taiyou No Ie
Koisuru Harinezumi

also I would suggest lurking the thread and picking up whatever people are posting updates about, it's a good way to find new stuff.

Added added added. :3: I'm really so happy to have bunches of reading material - and actually, threadwatching is exactly how I picked up Kuzumi-kun, Shinozaki-san and Kaguya! The rest have been suggestions from other friends or stuff I just happened upon.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Everything Burrito posted:

Ore Monogatari
Honey So Sweet
Kamisama Kiss
Takane to Hana
Usotsuki Lily
Taiyou No Ie
Koisuru Harinezumi

Seeing Usotsuki Lily also reminded me of Full Dozer, it's a shorter work by the same author that's also pretty funny.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honey So Sweet only has 3 volumes out at the moment but it's like my favorite thing right now, I just re-read it the other day and it's so fluffy and cute it hurts

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
Yeah, lurking the thread is how I ended up marathoning Yona over a weekend or so and now I have to wait unbearably with everyone else for new chapters :saddowns:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Read Yona after you've read Kakukaku because you will need cool and funny things to piece your soul back together after Kakukaku destroys you

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Motherfucking Renai Joshi File

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
My romantic(?) recs

Ojojojo
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (we have a thread for it here too)

Both heartwarming, Nozaki-kun's especially hilarious if you haven't gotten to it yet.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Colette Decides To Die, and also Snow White With The Red Hair (the anime, because it's BEAUTIFUL). Both of these because the main ladies are super awesome, hardworking people who stand on their own.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Compendium posted:

My romantic(?) recs

Ojojojo
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (we have a thread for it here too)

Both heartwarming, Nozaki-kun's especially hilarious if you haven't gotten to it yet.

add jitsu wa watashi wa to this.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Oh yeah, and Mahou Tsukai no Yome and for a gorgeous period piece, Otoyomegatari.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Caitlin posted:

Thanks for responding. :unsmith:

I've read Sailor Moon a zillion times and back again, but lately I've been reading stuff that's all over the map. As for the thread-topic-related stuff, it's Kuzumi-kun, Princess Jellyfish, Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni!, Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To, Toshishita no Otokonoko, I read Oniisama e..., ummm... and Wakako-zake. Oh, and I read all of Erica Sakurazawa's English stuff.

Non-topical has been Suicide Island, Kamisama no Iutoori, Boku no Hero Academia, Hi-Score Girl, Prison School and Shokugeki no Soma. Also finished Franken Fran and re-read Detroit Metal City.

So far I can recommend:

Haru x Kiyo
Blue Exorcist
Shimanami Tasogare
Golondrina
Sakamichi no Apollon
Paradise Kiss
Odette

Odette because Cat BF:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

add jitsu wa watashi wa to this.

Yeah adding to this rec, it's my favorite shounen romance. It's cute, there's Actual Progression In The Relationships, and it's incredibly funny.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The beginning is pretty slow and the artstyle definitely evolves from the original style into something better

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As a completely random thought after reading a little of one of Akiko Morishima's "Literally Every Woman Alive Is A Lesbian" manga, that trope where a character tells someone they're in love with "If you just go on a date/sleep with me once, I can give up on you!" is really bizarre. How does that even make sense, wouldn't going on a date (or even worse, having sex with) a person just make it way harder to give up on them?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Like, you're really really loving craving a cake right now, so if you just eat a bit then that's fine, you won't need any more

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's dumb and never works, that's how it works

You're not supposed to think hmm this is a sound and healthy plan you're supposed to go :ughh:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Well I mean they might find out there are various incompatibilities which might make it easier to give up, but I've listened to enough Dan Savage podcasts to know people are way too dumb for that to actually work.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
New Mahou Tsukai no Yome

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Mahou-Tsukai-no-Yome/Ch-030--Zeal-without-knowledge-is-a-runaway-horse-?id=308133

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Suggestions for someone who needs reading material and is a sad sack that got dumped? :toot:
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou will teach you about mono no aware, which can only be loosely translated as the appreciation of the beauty, and the quiet acceptence of the transcience of all things. It's helped me multiple times, once after a breakup and most recently when I was diagnosed with cancer after a 5 hour surgery, before they could begin chemo and radiation therapy - which I'm now hopefully done with.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Oh no, badguy mage is back :ohdear:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

It's dumb and never works, that's how it works

You're not supposed to think hmm this is a sound and healthy plan you're supposed to go :ughh:

I think I understand it as sort of being part of the "bargaining" stage of grief when someone rejects you, and the "it'll help me get over you" stuff is just a rationale they make up.

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

it is all a dream- a grotesque and foolish dream.

:allears: The terrifying shadow monster is jealous of a ten year old girl.

Looks like Chise & Elias will finally do some talking soon; maybe we'll find out his history like he promised ages ago.

Also, looks like Stella is gonna be chimera parts. Ashen Eyes has some weird hobbies.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Stella's going to be completely fine, because Chise and Elias will save her.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lemon-Lime posted:

Stella's going to be completely fine, because Chise and Elias will save her.

Sadly, this is not helck, and in most animes making a promise in the near future like that leads to tragedy

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

it is all a dream- a grotesque and foolish dream.
... Also... Was that a love bite?

:cthulhu:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, I haven't read anything with Ore Monogatari/My Love Story after the anime finished. It was licensed, right? So the only way to read on is to read what presumably Viz has put out. Which I'm not opposed to obviously, since MLS was great, it's just kind of sad that any and all discussion of it vanished into thin air. Also as great as it was it kind of reached a point in the story at least where the anime was ending where while still good it was starting to feel like it was a bit repetitive/spinning its wheels a bit.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

There are 9 volumes of My Love Story that are out so far in English. The anime ends with a plot line that should wrap up in volume 10. There are some side stories that didn't get adapted for the anime, but if you're looking for new stuff past the part time job arc, you'll have to wait a bit longer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tonai no Kaibutsu-kun / My Little Monster was another great series from earlier in this thread's history. It had some heavy stuff since one of the main characters had like legitimate psychological/emotional issues but it was ultimately quite endearing and often amusing.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

just kinda ignore that one moment though, you'll know what moment i'm talking about when you get there

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Catkin posted:

:allears: The terrifying shadow monster is jealous of a ten year old girl.

Looks like Chise & Elias will finally do some talking soon; maybe we'll find out his history like he promised ages ago.

Also, looks like Stella is gonna be chimera parts. Ashen Eyes has some weird hobbies.

I really like how this manga reminds us that Elias is a terrifying skull monster

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think you meant adorable skull monster.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Oh thank goodness. I was getting worried that it had been dropped by its *slators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

I finally got around to reading the last two chapters of The Seven Princes of the Thousand Year Labyrinth and it was pretty fun, the end wrapped up kind of abruptly but it's getting a sequel yay. I actually intended to stop reading when it got licensed and wait properly for the release but obviously that didn't happen, and it's only 4 volumes so I'll end up buying it and re-reading it at some point anyway. Kinda wish they'd drop the bromance pretense and just let Ewan and Lawrence kiss though, they're practically married by the end anyway.