Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you're up for a more expensive restaurant, Tiffins at Animal Kingdom is open and excellent. It's on the path to Pandora, so next year it'll probably be packed but right now it's tucked away in an otherwise empty part of Discovery Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I concur with Tangierine Cafe. We had the kefta there earlier this year and it was really good for a quick service. Everything tasted really fresh.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I like Tangerine Cafe but mostly because its super hard to find good middle eastern food in Orlando. The service I never thought was that great but the food is good and it's never busy.

You won't find many "off the beaten path" places at Disney. Pretty much everyone knows about every place and they are all busy.

That said there are a few non-signature restaurants that are better than others. Kona, Cape May Cafe (if you like seafood), Boma, Yak and Yeti, Via Napoli, Raglin Road, Paradiso 37, and Earl of Sandwhich (quickservice) are my picks.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm debating on upgrading to the regular dining plan...we've only been to Biergarten in our "real" restaurants at Disney and it was fun, but the bill alone was like $120, so it'd def be worth it to upgrade for us, but at the same time I would hate to HAVE to stick to a schedule with reservations etc.

The choice is hard :qq:

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Thanks for the suggestions- we are going so far with:

Morimoto
Canada (can't quit the poutine)
Boma
The Turf Bar and Grille
Skippers Canteen ( i know the reviews are meh, but I want to try it and I'm sick of Be Our Guest)

And we are going to the Halloween Party ON Halloween! Yippee!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Abu Dave posted:

I'm debating on upgrading to the regular dining plan...we've only been to Biergarten in our "real" restaurants at Disney and it was fun, but the bill alone was like $120, so it'd def be worth it to upgrade for us, but at the same time I would hate to HAVE to stick to a schedule with reservations etc.

I get it, but there are lots of great restaurants to choose from and if you make your reservations early or late rather than in the middle of the day, it shouldn't cramp your style too much.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
The overhauled Incredible Hulk Coaster reopened last night at Islands of Adventure over at Universal for softs, and is grand opening Thursday. This thing is completely awesome at night.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Rumors going around that Great Movie Ride will close for good in 2018. It's needed an update since like 2000 and never got one, so I'm fine with it if this is true .

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Actually it just got an update and a new sponsor last year.

Edit: I guess the rumor is that Disney has other plans now and broke the agreement. Although the source is WDW MAGIC who aren't the best place to get these things from.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 3, 2016

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Well a decently sized overhaul would be nice. I think it's gotten to the point where a couple of effects aren't working. And considering the nearly three decades since the ride opened up, I'm sure there's plenty of new technology that the ride would benefit from. I know some people fret over the increasing reliance of projections in dark rides, but considering it's the Great 'Movie' Ride, I think they could get away with it. Don't even change any of the movies, but added effects like seeing a xenomorph shadow scurry past, some cops/sheriffs shooting out and through windows, or a tornado to transport you to OZ would be a net benefit. If they could get close to achieving the same type of experience of the Shanghai Pirates Of The Caribbean, then ride then it could definitely become an E-Ticket attraction once more.

But that would require a lot of money on a ride that would only open up just as Star Wars and Toy Story Land would be opening as well.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Hmm they just changed the destinations discovered tour a bit. I got a call that my Nov 8 tour moved from 9:30am to 8:15am and now the lunch is at rose and crown instead of Marrakesh. Nice of them to call, otherwise I'd never know.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Via Napoli is like, the best pizza. Better than Flipper's on 192. (Go to Flipper's on 192.)

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Luigi Thirty posted:

Via Napoli is like, the best pizza. Better than Flipper's on 192. (Go to Flipper's on 192.)

I thought it was decent but not wild crazy. The prosciutto and melon was definitely tasty though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spaceship earth's aninatronic are more impressive than great movie rides.

Also maybe I'll do the better dining plan hmmm M decisions!!

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Abu Dave posted:

Does everyone else thank the Phoenicians when Judi Dench tells you to on Spaceship Earth?

in monotone voice "thank you, Phoenicians."

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Abu Dave posted:

We did the regular dining plan the first trip, and no dining plan the second and I really preferred having no dining plan.

The first trip I felt like we had to schedule everything around where we were going to eat that day. The second trip was much more relaxing as we could adjust what we wanted to do without worrying about reservations, there also wasn't a feeling that we needed to maximize the value of the dining plan. The DDP can be a ton of food, and I don't like big meals when I'm all hot and sweaty.

We still did some dining we needed reservations for on the 2nd trip, but not every day.

Which ever way works best for you and your vacation is the way to go. It wasn't really a cost thing for us either as I'm pretty sure the DDP and what we spent out of pocket (combined with Garden Grocer) was close to the same amount.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah we always do quick service plan and get our money's worth,to me it's worth it to not have to worry.

I dunno *shrug*

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's a video of Great Movie Ride on opening day and it's eye opening. The cake moves!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWyaEhKFIDk

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Abu Dave posted:

Also maybe I'll do the better dining plan hmmm M decisions!!

The Wicked Witch was the first of the modern, more advanced AAs that had more range and speed of motion (using what WDI calls "compliance"). The rest of the AAs in that attraction are the older ones.

Spaceship Earth got new AAs in a refurbishment including a couple modern figures for the caveman and the Greek teacher.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zero One posted:

The Wicked Witch was the first of the modern, more advanced AAs that had more range and speed of motion (using what WDI calls "compliance"). The rest of the AAs in that attraction are the older ones.

Spaceship Earth got new AAs in a refurbishment including a couple modern figures for the caveman and the Greek teacher.

That video I just posted actually just made me aware of that; I had thought the Witch was a late 90s addition, not there at opening day

The AA's are so impressive at Disney. I make small hobbyist AA's and they're hard as poo poo to make, let alone program if you don't use a special software for it (which literally just takes a audio file and maps it to a servo motor).

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Anyone have any experience with either DisneyQuest (is it really dated?) or the Club Villain Dining Event? Curious as I've never seen either.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Disney Quest is not worth it unless its included as part of a ticket you already bought (multiday Waterpark add-on I think includes it) and you have a couple hours with nothing else to do.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I've heard amazing things about the Club Villain party thing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Leelee posted:

Anyone have any experience with either DisneyQuest (is it really dated?) or the Club Villain Dining Event? Curious as I've never seen either.

DisneyQuest has been the same since they closed the one in Chicago and shipped all the games to Orlando. It's a little hard to operate a giant arcade when nobody makes arcade games anymore.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Leelee posted:

Morimoto

This is by far the most beautiful restaurant I've ever been in. Make sure to hit the bar upstairs either before or after dinner.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Re: DisneyQuest, does anyone have an opinion on how Battle for Buccaneer Gold aged? I remember that being such a great attraction, but I was pretty young when last I played it in Chicago.

It's also probably notable for being the last Pirates thing in the parks without Johnny Depp, right?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I'm heading over to Florida towards end of September for 15 days.
I just skimmed through the first page and there looks like some great information to take in. I'll be reading this thread later.

There is a group of us going with no kids so I'm looking forward to it... I'm particularly going to look out for some restaurant recommendations - any type of food really (although there is one in the group who doesn't do seafood I think)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My single recommendation for dining if you really want to enjoy yourself is Hoop De Doo. My wife and I took my parents to Disney this past June and my dad who is usually a big sour puss about stuff had the best night of the trip there.

Food is good, show is fun.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Boxman posted:

Re: DisneyQuest, does anyone have an opinion on how Battle for Buccaneer Gold aged? I remember that being such a great attraction, but I was pretty young when last I played it in Chicago.

It's also probably notable for being the last Pirates thing in the parks without Johnny Depp, right?

It's extremely aged. It was really cool when it opened, but that was over 10 years ago and it looks it. It's still pretty fun if you have a few people to play, but it's hardly state of the art. In general, all of their remaining VR rides look like early 2000s VR. At least it's nostalgic.

DisneyQuest is mostly just a nice place to stop and play some video games when you have nothing else to do or need somewhere with air conditioning to hang out while waiting for a House of Blues concert or something. It's arguable whether it's worth the price, though. They've taken it off the annual passes as of last October and it'll be removed from annual passes as they get renewed this year, so only the people who have to renew their passes by October have it available for free right now. Everyone else who's renewed already or got their pass after it was taken off have to pay for admission. This has removed most of the incentive for people to stop in, but I understand why they'd want to do it: the place is empty compared to how it used to be, so annual passholders who don't get food or merchandise would just get everything for free and walk out.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It was supposed to close this year which is why it was removed from passes. But then the new tenant dropped out and Disney can't find anyone else to take it.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Decided to go with Club Villain and going to try to convince my dad that DisneyQuest just isn't worth it. I looked up the Club Villain stuff and it looks so. cool.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
It is!

I got invited to a dress rehearsal. No food, but they ran through the show three times and had the desserts and meet and greets going. The show was amazing and the real menu sounds fantastic. Plus, the bar.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Old Man Pants posted:

This is by far the most beautiful restaurant I've ever been in. Make sure to hit the bar upstairs either before or after dinner.

Do not order the ramen. Maybe it's changed since I was there, but I had to send it back and get something else, which is literally the first time I've ever done that in a restaurant. It was really bland and flavorless.

Get the ribs. Just like a giant plate of ribs, and continue ordering them until you cannot move without the aid of a wheelbarrow.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yoshifan823 posted:

Get the ribs. Just like a giant plate of ribs, and continue ordering them until you cannot move without the aid of a wheelbarrow.

Or you run out of money lol

Morimoto was an awesome experience. Gladly paid that really expensive bill. I had the buri bop and shrimp appetizer. Both excellent

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Do you guys recommend the RFID bracelets for tickets and rides? We are almost certainly staying off property.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly the cards scanned better than magic bands and if you're a idiot like me you'll lose it on rock n roller coaster twice on two different trips so I say cards :v:

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

If you have photopass, then the magic band is nice because on-ride photos are scanned during the ride so you don't need to find your photo. The cards work fine so it's not a must-buy.

We stayed at the Dolphin last time. I bought a magic band, my wife stuck with the card. It was fine.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
You won't be eligible for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Frozen Ever After photos and videos without one. Ditto Tower of Terror videos. You'll need a MagicBand for those.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Finally got my vacation days approved - November 5-9/10 with the husband! My birthday is the 10th and I'm trying to convince him that yes, me spending the morning of my birthday in MK is more important than him doing a three day trip for Resolute Day.

Per braks, All star music/movie/Coronado is available for our dates. Im thinking music just for being the cheapest, though I think Coronado is closer to Epcot area. We won't be doing a whole lot at any of those resorts, so is there any benefit to being at CS over an All Star, besides more food options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Anya posted:

Finally got my vacation days approved - November 5-9/10 with the husband! My birthday is the 10th and I'm trying to convince him that yes, me spending the morning of my birthday in MK is more important than him doing a three day trip for Resolute Day.

Per braks, All star music/movie/Coronado is available for our dates. Im thinking music just for being the cheapest, though I think Coronado is closer to Epcot area. We won't be doing a whole lot at any of those resorts, so is there any benefit to being at CS over an All Star, besides more food options?

Marginally larger rooms, better themed landscaping, pools, etc. Higher quality beds and pillows, stuff like that. Also more of a 'convention' resort, so not a lot of kids running around screaming at all hours. Not that it doesn't happen. Coronado is pretty large, and very spread out.

If you're just looking for value and more $$ to spend on Dole whip, All Star for sure. If you want a slight overall upgrade and the cost isn't a deciding factor, a Moderate always > Value

You can also play around with this to get a rough idea of how long to each park from the resorts to figure out if one is significantly more convenient than another for your interests. http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/aspx/twiz.aspx