Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Just loving pirate it if you find it stupid.
Been doing this for every game since Mass Effect 2 from Bioware and haven't been proven wrong about the games not really being worth the money~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I totally would register an Origin account and buy Dragon's Age and Mass Effect collections if I didn't have to bother with buying DLC through Bioware.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone have that picture of a Killing Floor 2 enemy with like 15 different resistances?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone have that picture of a Killing Floor 2 enemy with like 15 different resistances?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The fact that God Hand apparently sold so poorly nobody has released a game that has the same style combat.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Also, why won't Pokemon Go save my loving settings?? It's 2016 and every time I log back in (which is often, because of how forcibly it logs me out) I have to turn off the music, sounds and AR effects. Gimme a drat break.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

They slightly went back on these but they still suck, and all the bosses are 0.5 resistance to absolutely everything so fighting them is a massive slog.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morglon posted:

Long War has some really good things going on but also some really lovely things. Like enemy numbers going up and up until it's not difficult but just tedious, having something like 40 aliens on a small loving UFO. Or the time I didn't rush EXALT HQ and there were 40 guys there too, like so many some spawned outside the map, those were fun to get. Mostly it meant though the small map was so packed that I had to take out groups the same turn I engaged them or a patrol would wander in and also I couldn't really maneuver since yeah, that too would activate another patrol. The beefy guys in those groups had more HP than the game could display, never missed and hit like loving trucks too. I ended up using a trainer just to get through that one but that was one of the last times I actually played that game, I mean I get it, XCom needs to be hard because everybody says so but it's always so easy to cross over into pure tedium. I'm glad there's no Long War for 2 although it would be easier to just gently caress with it to get the good parts and dump the tedious git gud bullshit.

Long War is insane if you're the type of person who wants a deeper XCOM game but haven't beaten vanilla on Impossible Iron Man like 16 times. I wanted the increased options but then drones nearly wiped my whole squad and Outsiders went from 3 HP to 10 and would also regen HP. It felt like it was made for people who are way, way too into XCOM.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
My issue with video games is the state of PvP. Playing any PvP in any game is like taking your 6 year old to a little league game and seeing professional NFL players on the field mixed in with high schoolers, college athletes, and little leaguers. There is no way anyone is having fun other then 'hur hur, tackle 6 year old fun' . In any other competitive activity there is at least some attempt to separate players based on skill but in video games it seems the philosophy is 'gently caress it, let's go smoke' No one is improving their skills, no one is actively competing, it's just a mess.

Very rarely is an online match a close call between two teams who are evenly matched, it's almost always a rout by one team because one team had a pro on it. I am a very mid range player, I never feel like I am contributing since we either lose and two people on my team get 1 kill to 47 deaths or we win and two people on my team get 47 kills to 1 death.

Maybe some games try to balance it out. I've never seen it. This is mostly from Destiny (single player content locked behind PvP bologna)

Also, stop locking singleplayer content behind PvP you loving dopes.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Eh a lot of actually good competitive games at least have made an effort to separate by skill. You look at poo poo like CS:GO; the problem isn't a lack of ranking by skill, it's people deliberately trying to circumvent the ranking (i.e. smurfing or cheating).

But I definitely see your point in games like Dark Souls where casuals just trying to beat the game get invaded by tryhards and end up being stomped into the loving dirt.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lap-Lem posted:

My issue with video games is the state of PvP. Playing any PvP in any game is like taking your 6 year old to a little league game and seeing professional NFL players on the field mixed in with high schoolers, college athletes, and little leaguers. There is no way anyone is having fun other then 'hur hur, tackle 6 year old fun' . In any other competitive activity there is at least some attempt to separate players based on skill but in video games it seems the philosophy is 'gently caress it, let's go smoke' No one is improving their skills, no one is actively competing, it's just a mess.

Very rarely is an online match a close call between two teams who are evenly matched, it's almost always a rout by one team because one team had a pro on it. I am a very mid range player, I never feel like I am contributing since we either lose and two people on my team get 1 kill to 47 deaths or we win and two people on my team get 47 kills to 1 death.

Maybe some games try to balance it out. I've never seen it. This is mostly from Destiny (single player content locked behind PvP bologna)

Also, stop locking singleplayer content behind PvP you loving dopes.

Destiny's probably the worst example in this regard because gear is so important and significantly alters the game, the same gun can roll with a variety of different perks and all it takes is that one perfect roll to turn a decent gun into a god one, exotics allow the various classes to do a bundle of things like let titans hurl 2 grenade quickly instead of one, increased armor for warlocks or let the hunter use his dodge roll thingy thus allowing him to equip his keen scout perk which lets them move faster and temporarily tag you if they hit you, then you have exotic weapons that are also quite powerful and in the right hands can utterly crush people, there's also a bunch of builds that don't even need exotics like a recent one where you use a shotgun with a lot of range and the warlock melee that has increased range letting you kill someone that's fairly far from you. Some pro player did the math and said you need to do at a minimum 80 damage with a shotgun to get the kill with the melee and according to him even the shittiest range shotgun is capable of that.

You also have to keep in mind that Destiny is approaching its year 2 anniversary, anyone who's still playing their PvP is going to be very good at it.

Honestly my biggest complaint in regards to PvP is probably the lopsided matchmaking, Overwatch ins particular is really bad at this for me, anytime I play solo I get paired with people that are close or at my level and are obviously matchmaking solo as well, I play with my friend who's at the same level as me as its 6 man level 80+ pre=mades utterly shitstomping us, its not fun, matches are over in less than 5 minutes most of the time and it just makes us go play something else most of the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Level doesn't mean anything in Overwatch.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I've come across several ridiculously high level people in Overwatch who clearly were sharing an account, because it did not translate into a dominating performances.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RyokoTK posted:

Also, why won't Pokemon Go save my loving settings?? It's 2016 and every time I log back in (which is often, because of how forcibly it logs me out) I have to turn off the music, sounds and AR effects. Gimme a drat break.

I think the answer is it's a poorly coded app that would be ignored if it wasn't Pokémon

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Len posted:

I think the answer is it's a poorly coded app that would be ignored if it wasn't Pokémon

So basically it's like the rest of the Pokemon games.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lap-Lem posted:

You'll love Planetside 2 and how the player base just doesn't give a gently caress about objectives and just want to do kdr dick waving. Why should I stand on this point? Why don't YOU do it?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Long War is insane if you're the type of person who wants a deeper XCOM game but haven't beaten vanilla on Impossible Iron Man like 16 times. I wanted the increased options but then drones nearly wiped my whole squad and Outsiders went from 3 HP to 10 and would also regen HP. It felt like it was made for people who are way, way too into XCOM.

The overarching theme of XCOM is humanity fighting a war of attrition. A binary win/loss state isn't the point of the game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RyokoTK posted:

So basically it's like the rest of the Pokemon games.

At least the other games actually have game parts

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

You'll love Planetside 2 and how the player base just doesn't give a gently caress about objectives and just want to do kdr dick waving. Why should I stand on this point? Why don't YOU do it?

This is the basic flaw behind every online game other than co-op games you play with friends you know. 9/10 people who play video games are social retards and also gigantic assholes. They are the guy who will gladly wipe a 40 man raid because they realized someone else had more DKP than they did to buy a drop they wanted. Every loving time. The people who will quit right before the last boss of a dungeon and ruin the run for everyone else because they weren't happy with how it went for them. The morons who turn every objective based PVP game ever into death match every drat time. The only way to make a multiplayer game fun is to play with friends, because everyone else is poo poo to play with. Yet for some reason devs continue to insist that nah, this time people will work together and not be selfish jerkoffs!

Anyway something that actually drags a game down; I tried picking LBX back up recently because my 3DS was right there and I was hoping it could scratch that itch for a custom robo or medabots style game but it really doesn't. In part because the combat is just really slow and clunky. They also didn't balance it out at all so playing as a melee character is a really, really bad idea because ranged enemies will have you dead before you hit them. It's the same for you though, you grab some guns and you'll never get hit again. Then the game gets boring because you're just getting flawless victories every fight.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RyokoTK posted:

Eh a lot of actually good competitive games at least have made an effort to separate by skill. You look at poo poo like CS:GO; the problem isn't a lack of ranking by skill, it's people deliberately trying to circumvent the ranking (i.e. smurfing or cheating).

But I definitely see your point in games like Dark Souls where casuals just trying to beat the game get invaded by tryhards and end up being stomped into the loving dirt.

what's smurfing?

Dragon Quest Heroes
i just did the barbatos fight. between this and the hellion boss fight i'm not liking the ones that split your attention between the boss and small mobs. i'd like the game to let me command my party to stay on the boss while i clean up the mawkeepers but i don't remember seeing any options to command my team.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

Action Tortoise posted:

what's smurfing?

Well, when a man and a woman love each other very much...

It's when someone good at a game with ranked matchmaking makes new accounts to play against new/bad players. This is quite prevalent in F2P games. I'm not sure if purposefully lowering your rank to accomplish the same thing constitutes "smurfing" but it's at least in the same vein and more common with games you have to buy.

Xythe has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Aug 3, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Smurfing is basically using a second account with a lower ranking than your main account. Pretty much you end up playing against opponents beneath your skill level (in some cases, dramatically so). It's not cheating but it's generally pretty poor sportsmanship.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RyokoTK posted:

Smurfing is basically using a second account with a lower ranking than your main account. Pretty much you end up playing against opponents beneath your skill level (in some cases, dramatically so). It's not cheating but it's generally pretty poor sportsmanship.

Ever started playing a new game and gotten killed repeatedly and called a newb by a wildly overskilled player who should theoretically be at the same early point as you?

That's smurfing. Dipshits who can't handle having an even fight resetting their progress to curbstomp new players.

Play League of Legends at some point, a good 60 percent of underleveled players are just smurfs trying for a better win/loss career history who will do nothing but scream at their actually-just-starting teammates.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Any game that has co-op but requires you to complete the tutorial/prologue/first chapter/whatever before allowing you to play co-op.

The culprit in this case is RE6 but I have played many games in the past where that's been the case. How hard is it to enable the 2nd player to join before the game starts? The entire rest of your game is playable in co-op except maybe the most important part!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

im pooping! posted:

The overarching theme of XCOM is humanity fighting a war of attrition. A binary win/loss state isn't the point of the game.

Yeah, which is why I wanted Long War in the first place- something to extend the game without the end game being a giant series of victory laps.

Long War basically stomps you in the teeth from the first mission and gets harder from there. It's not really a lot of fun. I mean, I've been playing the series for like 20 years now, and that mod kicks my rear end in all sorts of unfun, feels like bullshit ways.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Len posted:

The fact that God Hand apparently sold so poorly nobody has released a game that has the same style combat.

The fact that the camera system in that game is patented or copyrighted or whatever so no one can use it freely.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

The fact that the camera system in that game is patented or copyrighted or whatever so no one can use it freely.

Jeeze, they'll allow anything through the patent office wont they? "We want to patent giving an emotional and physical response to an event one perceives" "Yeah sure just sign here"

Leal has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Aug 4, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Leal posted:

Jeeze, they'll allow anything through the patent office wont they? "We want to patent giving an emotional and physical response to an event one perceives" "Yeah sure just sign here"

Jeeze, you'll believe anything you read on the internet wont you?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

This was actually suggested to me for splatoon, since there's no way to play some modes outside of ranked/custom battle. So if you wanna practice a weapon you're bad at in say, tower defence, its either get a new account or drag you and some people's rank down, and its a bitch to get back up.
incidentally, you don't lose any ranking points if youre doing squad battle and you're S rank, but A rank and below still lose points. As such, there are only S rank players in squad battles.

I hate splatoon's ranking system.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

I think it's Konami that patented or trademarked loading screen minigames? As a result every rerelease of Okami had those fun little loading screen games taken out and most games don't do anything cool with loading screens anymore.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Namco did, and it expired a few months ago.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Len posted:

Eh, Platinum is still doing okay. Maybe it'll happen at some point.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

SkeletonHero posted:

Namco did, and it expired a few months ago.

Thank gently caress.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Either it's true or I've had bad information about it because I'm not trying to lie about it. I thought that was the reasoning for it!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Alpha Protocol

I haven't fired a pistol since I was like ten years old, out near a mountain with my father. I don't remember being very good at it, of course, but after a couple practice shots I was able to knock the beer bottles off the wooden plank, maybe thirty feet away.

I'd like to think that if I were say, a trained spy, I might be able to hit a target five feet away from me. Like, a target the size of a human. I mean, I'd like to think little ten year-old credburn might even be able to do it. But not this Agent Myopia von Blindman whose target reticule takes up a third of the loving screen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

credburn posted:

Alpha Protocol

I haven't fired a pistol since I was like ten years old, out near a mountain with my father. I don't remember being very good at it, of course, but after a couple practice shots I was able to knock the beer bottles off the wooden plank, maybe thirty feet away.

I'd like to think that if I were say, a trained spy, I might be able to hit a target five feet away from me. Like, a target the size of a human. I mean, I'd like to think little ten year-old credburn might even be able to do it. But not this Agent Myopia von Blindman whose target reticule takes up a third of the loving screen.

...Have you put points in pistols? Chain shot lets you either drop six bodies or put six rounds into someone's forehead. Like, the pistol skill is the "easy mode" skill. Even early on, just let the crosshairs settle and you can one-hit KO anybody.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

.hackGU volume 2 ends with a wet fart. You kill a guy but OH NO he's not dead at all. The guy you kill before him isn't dead either. Also it has two credits. Like it's not even a case of one set of lame short credits then a longer real credits. It's just the same credits twice. There's no way part three can be worse than part two, this one felt very padded and middley.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

...Have you put points in pistols? Chain shot lets you either drop six bodies or put six rounds into someone's forehead. Like, the pistol skill is the "easy mode" skill. Even early on, just let the crosshairs settle and you can one-hit KO anybody.

I know this. I know about chain-shotting and waiting for the reticule to narrow. I just mean, outside of using a special ability or waiting the 4-8 seconds to line up a perfect shot, aiming the gun at a target that's a few feet in front of you shouldn't have such a wide margin of error. He has his hand extended and the gun pointing forward; it's not like he's trick-shotting it from behind his back. He should not miss. Ten year old credburn would not miss (although to the agent's credit, ten year old credburn probably could not pull off a chain-shot.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

credburn posted:

I know this. I know about chain-shotting and waiting for the reticule to narrow. I just mean, outside of using a special ability or waiting the 4-8 seconds to line up a perfect shot, aiming the gun at a target that's a few feet in front of you shouldn't have such a wide margin of error. He has his hand extended and the gun pointing forward; it's not like he's trick-shotting it from behind his back. He should not miss. Ten year old credburn would not miss (although to the agent's credit, ten year old credburn probably could not pull off a chain-shot.)

Yeah, its silly in games with point allocations (often finite) outright punish you for not putting some points in certain skills by making your character a functional retard when it comes to that one thing. A super spy or a cybernetically enhanced soldier (seriously, Denton couldn't shoot the statue of liberty if his weapon stat was at 0. Give invisible war all the poo poo you want, at least Alex didn't have shaky hands or whatever that causes his cone of fire to take up the entire center screen) should just know how to do those things competently. 0 should be the baseline and putting points in it should give extra perks, not the privilege to use it like a functional human being. See Catalcysm DDA for another example, if I didn't spend my precious points on driving I can be sure my survivor can't drive 10 on a straight road with no obstacles and will somehow manage to lose control of the car.

Now if I was playing as some hick from a podunk village and I didn't put points in reading yeah I can understand not being able to read anything in game. I can't understand not putting points in pistols for my super spy or bionic soldier means he literally has never fired a gun in his life and wags his gun or whatever it is that COF is supposed to represent. "We cloned this man then cybernetically enhanced him and made him the best hacker ever! Unfortunately he is completely useless with guns cause we ran out of the point pool"

Leal has a new favorite as of 10:10 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Much appreciated!