Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Rirse posted:

How long does it take to get a cart from him anyway? That the main reason I was looking at these.

2-3 weeks, but you can also buy them from the US store I linked above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It's really not that long a wait, unless you're actually jonesing for retro gaming action every day all day (and LOL, who are we kidding?).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Somehow, this got posted with no one acknowledging it. I use to have Volume 52 to... I don't remember what the last one was, 240-something, but I subscribed for a solid 15 years. I even got my Pokemon Silver team published in one issue. I thought it was good at the time, but looking back hoo boy was I wrong. But that hasn't been scanned yet.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I bought my Everdrive from Stone Age Gamer and it got here in about a week, though I just bought a board only one. You pay slightly more at SAG, but I like the extra safety of not having to do overseas shipping.

Also keep in mind if you want to get a Genesis one, he's releasing a new set that's gonna be a lot cheaper very soon.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

I bought my Everdrive from Stone Age Gamer and it got here in about a week, though I just bought a board only one. You pay slightly more at SAG, but I like the extra safety of not having to do overseas shipping.

Also keep in mind if you want to get a Genesis one, he's releasing a new set that's gonna be a lot cheaper very soon.

Already got a Genesis flash cart (probably a clone but meh), but I will get the NES flash cart from Stone Age Gamer for sure.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Monitor Burn posted:

Actual Everdrives come from the Ukraine, not China. Bootlegs also have the added bonus of not being able to update the firmware on it without buying a new one.

Support Krikzz, he does good work: https://krikzz.com/store/

Or from here if you want to buy from a US store: http://www.stoneagegamer.com/flash-carts/nes/cartridges/

I think this is the first time since the tube guitar amp era that I've heard "get the eastern european version it's more legit"

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Actually I said SAG is more expensive, but the Everdrive N8 is actually like a dollar cheaper before shipping through them.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Scaramouche posted:

I think this is the first time since the tube guitar amp era that I've heard "get the eastern european version it's more legit"

I find it funnier that we are discussing the authenticity of flash carts.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So I did a quick test run for my stream tonight, to make sure I had OBS set up right and play with my new controller

In the process I got a game over playing SMB. On 1-1.

Gonna be a good stream

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
I love the cautionary illustrations from the original R.O.B. manual.

Do not present Rob with confusing equations or abstract artwork.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Do NOT allow R.O.B.(tm) to see what's "under your pants" when he asks.

e: :drat: that kid straight up 'bows poor R.O.B. in the first panel

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Monitor Burn posted:

Is there any mod to isolate the original GBA's audio circuit from interference yet? I know the GBA doesn't have great audio to begin with, but the background static and noise is pretty distracting when using headphones. (Also the beeps when the EZ Flash IV loads up a rom).

I havent heard of one yet. I tried a ground loop isolator on my GB micro which didnt do anything. Does the SP have this issue too? Never bought a headphone adapter for it

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I ran across this today. For anyone whose GB Micro's battery doesn't hold a charge, this is interesting. Mine is still fine, but will keep for future reference.

Monitor Burn posted:

Is there any mod to isolate the original GBA's audio circuit from interference yet? I know the GBA doesn't have great audio to begin with, but the background static and noise is pretty distracting when using headphones. (Also the beeps when the EZ Flash IV loads up a rom).

I don't think so. I know they sell that GBAmp3 to increase the volume for the speaker (and I think it cleans it up). However, nothing for the headphone. You may be able to use that for the headphone, but you'd get both L and R channels going through both L and R headphones.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

African AIDS cum posted:

I havent heard of one yet. I tried a ground loop isolator on my GB micro which didnt do anything. Does the SP have this issue too? Never bought a headphone adapter for it

The SP's still have it, but I can more easily find a sweet spot on the SP where it is loud enough to hear but the static/buzzing isn't annoying enough.

I tried a cap swap on my GBC, and that removed the high freq hiss, but that low buzz is still there and annoying.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

If I remember my teenage years right, the SP was a hell of a handheld. Is it generally considered the best GBA? How have they generally held up over the years?

Was there region-lock on GBA games? I seem to remember the DS didn't have it, but the 3DS does.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I liked the form factor of the GBA, but the GBa SP basically made it a handheld that didn't look like a child's Nerf/Nickelodeon toy and finally gave it a backlight.

Kind of a low effort example of the iPodening of electronics, too.

The GBA was like the last bastion of fun sprite-based games too. The Lilo & Stitch game that came out for is was some awesome iteration on the Capcom platformer series of the 90s. And I'm sure Advance Wars was one of the prime reasons I tanked my grades the first year of University.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 4, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The DS has quite a good selection of sprite-based games... I wish I could say the same for the 3DS.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Drone posted:

Was there region-lock on GBA games? I seem to remember the DS didn't have it, but the 3DS does.

Nah. Portables really didn't until this gen, with a few exceptions over the years.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The 3DS is the only portable to have region locking, actually.

I guess the Vita and PSP technically can be region locked, but I don't think any games used the feature.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I thought the Vita was too.

edit: you also edited a thing. I swear there was something else, I'm gonna go look.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I thought the Vita was too.

edit: you also edited a thing. I swear there was something else, I'm gonna go look.

Sort of, but not exactly. The hardware itself isn't region locked, and physical game cartridges aren't region locked, but you can only have one PSN account registered on the system at a time and all digital content is restricted to what's available in the location your account is registered to.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Gotta Protectors loving owns.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Got this today:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I ordered the parts to set up a RetroPie, anyone have any gotchas I need to look out for?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

The Nomad had region locking, though not every title did it. :colbert:

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Elliotw2 posted:

The DSi preceded it. There were maybe five retail games that made use of DSi's much-hyped under-the-hood power boosts, but the majority of DS releases quietly made use of the region lock once it became available, even if they weren't designated as DSi-enhanced release. So you could play any pre-DSi DS game on any hardware, and you could play any post-DSi DS game on DS or DS Lite, but if you used a DSi you had to be mindful of regions.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

The DSi preceded it. There were maybe five retail games that made use of DSi's much-hyped under-the-hood power boosts, but the majority of DS releases quietly made use of the region lock once it became available, even if they weren't designated as DSi-enhanced release. So you could play any pre-DSi DS game on any hardware, and you could play any post-DSi DS game on DS or DS Lite, but if you used a DSi you had to be mindful of regions.

The DSi region lock didn't affect the majority of post-DSi DS games, by any means - most the of the post-DSi games released were entirely region-free and even Nintendo would only region-lock their own games if they actually used the DSi hardware (mostly for WPA2 wireless compatibility).

The only noteworthy third-party games I can think of offhand that were hit by the region lock are Korg DS-10+ (which only came out in NA and genuinely uses the DSi processor for more simultaneous tracks) and Solatorobo (which came out in both regions but is/was much easier to find in Europe, but did some completely trivial poo poo with the camera).

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
There were a lot more than that. Pretty much everything from SEGA, for one — Sands of Destruction and Sonic Collection come to mind. I picked up a Japan DSi at launch and ended up having to buy an American system in order to review American DS releases. It was a giant pain in my rear end (and bank account).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sands of Destruction, really? I'll give you that one, I had no idea. I do remember wishing Sega would add WPA2 support to Phantasy Star Zero but they never did, which sucks because that's a game that really needed it.

(I knew about Sonic but didn't mention it because it's thoroughly inessential. It did use the DSi processor for slightly less bad emulation but it didn't help a whole lot.)

It is worth mentioning that several region-locked games were only JP-locked - you can play the NA Pokemon games on a PAL system and vice-versa but you can't play them on JP hardware, for example - so I guess it's a more acute issue for someone with a JP system.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
In any case, I think we can both agree that region-locked handhelds are Dumb and Not Good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Gotta Protectors loving owns.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

In any case, I think we can both agree that region-locked handhelds are Dumb and Not Good.

Region-locked anything is dumb and not good, drat happy it's mostly behind us; Blu-ray uses it pretty sparsely, and UHD Blu-ray doesn't have region coding at all loving finally. There's just the odd quirk with PSN stuff on PS4, like in Street Fighter V, DLC is only usable by the purchasing account, and that account is restricted to playing in its home territory (NA, Europe, Asia).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know, I never understood how terrible Donkey Kong 64 was until I sat down last night and tried playing it for more than two hours. It's like I could tell it was a bad game before and thus stopped playing it before getting too far, but you can't fully appreciate the awfulness until you're a few levels in.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

You know, I never understood how terrible Donkey Kong 64 was until I sat down last night and tried playing it for more than two hours. It's like I could tell it was a bad game before and thus stopped playing it before getting too far, but you can't fully appreciate the awfulness until you're a few levels in.

I've always wished someone from Rare would dish on where that one went off the rails.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've always wished someone from Rare would dish on where that one went off the rails.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Probably around the planning phase when they went "Hey we should make Banjo-Tooie but even bigger."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"I'm concerned that we just don't have enough things to collect."

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

This game will randomly crash for no reason if the expansion pack isn't in the system, let's just bundle the expansion pack with it since we can't find the bug.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I blame the 64DD. It was supposed to be flipped out in a year and then that dumb thing crashed and burned. Majora's Mask was a similar casualty where you have this incredibly repetitive game built on re-used assets that demands you to play its same four levels over and over again. I really want to like Majora, and maybe when I play the 3DS version in 10 years it'll be the light switch flipping on, but god drat does that game feel cheap.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich
Getting a PVM-2530 that's been sitting around at work. It works, has good colour and no ghosting. Anything else I should know?

• Locked thread