Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

pyrokinesis would be a sick power tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

Look, the 80's were a wild time and it's a small world after all.

I think you are forgetting that MHA takes places at least several decades in the future.

smdh

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Approaching the climax of the series

"Gasp! You're that doctor!"

"Indeed! I have been using my job to serve All For One, stealing the Quirks of children and telling them they were Quirkless!"

"What?! But that means... I HAD a Quirk?"

"Ah, no. You were always a Quirkless little poo poo."

"oh :saddowns:"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
If Deku's dad did turn out to be a villain, I'd want him to just be some low level thug and not some secret, super powerful dude.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
I think Deku's dad will maybe turn out to be a hero that died in the line of duty. Or maybe not a professional hero, but a regular guy that died doing something heroic, that might be even better.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

JD posted:

I think Deku's dad will maybe turn out to be a hero that died in the line of duty. Or maybe not a professional hero, but a regular guy that died doing something heroic, that might be even better.

If this were the case I'm pretty sure his mom would be a whole lot more reluctant to encourage his hero fantasies.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I think you are forgetting that MHA takes places at least several decades in the future.

smdh

To be fair, so did all comics in the 80's.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Terper posted:

Approaching the climax of the series

"Gasp! You're that doctor!"

"Indeed! I have been using my job to serve All For One, stealing the Quirks of children and telling them they were Quirkless!"

"What?! But that means... I HAD a Quirk?"

"Ah, no. You were always a Quirkless little poo poo."

"oh :saddowns:"

Given that Deku never showed signs of developing a quirk at all, unless AFO (and specifically AFO; the doctor isn't the one who can steal quirks himself even if he is working with AFO) stole his quirk blind while ignoring other local kids like, say, Bakugou, this seems like the most likely outcome if the doctor actually is working with AFO. That or the doctor was the first and only person, including Deku himself, to notice Deku's quirk and had it stolen before anyone else was aware of it, which seems amazingly unlikely.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Roland Jones posted:

That or the doctor was the first and only person, including Deku himself, to notice Deku's quirk and had it stolen before anyone else was aware of it, which seems amazingly unlikely.

Gonna entertain a dumb idea
Maybe it was something low-key, something that isnt obvious at all except to a person doing all these medical testing. Like he has super fast regeneration, or like, a superhuman liver.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Gonna entertain a dumb idea
Maybe it was something low-key, something that isnt obvious at all except to a person doing all these medical testing. Like he has super fast regeneration, or like, a superhuman liver.

Okay, that is a possibility. Would have to be a random mutation quirk probably, since it's hard to see how he'd get that from his parents (unless it was some weird internal fire thing or something), but that is plausible.

Still, I'm leaning towards Deku having been born quirkless, personally.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Deku was born with the quirk of unintentionally transmitting everything he sees and knows to All For One. And that Dastardly Doctor hid this fact from him so that the Villain Alliance could one day use him as a secret traitor for their evil schemes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, that is a possibility. Would have to be a random mutation quirk probably, since it's hard to see how he'd get that from his parents (unless it was some weird internal fire thing or something), but that is plausible.

Still, I'm leaning towards Deku having been born quirkless, personally.

The thing is, the doctor was almost certainly tell the truth about the toe joint. The internet exists in MHA and it would be super easy for someone to figure out that the doctor was lying about the toe joint, so I imagine he was just telling the truth.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

The thing is, the doctor was almost certainly tell the truth about the toe joint. The internet exists in MHA and it would be super easy for someone to figure out that the doctor was lying about the toe joint, so I imagine he was just telling the truth.

Could have used a fake x-ray. Maybe the doctor has a quirk-identifying quirk.

Personally I get the impression the mangaka is just setting up subtle story hooks that may or may not become relevant at some point in the future.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

That's my assumption too, since that seems like something that could be looked up and verified as true from other sources, so unless it's a lie that neither Deku nor his mother ever bothered to do more research on (or the doctor implanted the extra toe joints after having the hypothetical quirk stolen), Deku's just quirkless.

Thanks for reminding me of that detail, though; I should have included that in my first post re: The doctor, but I forgot about it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Piriwi posted:

Could have used a fake x-ray. Maybe the doctor has a quirk-identifying quirk.

Personally I get the impression the mangaka is just setting up subtle story hooks that may or may not become relevant at some point in the future.

Honestly there's no reason he can't just be a good old fashioned doctor and also a villain. Maybe the entire reason he helps All for One is because he's a doctor and if he didn't keep him alive, no one else would and it's kind of lovely to just let a dude die without a trial or something. Probably not, but whatever.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Deku's base quirk is the ability to recklessly dive headfirst into danger to save his friends. Because of its specific criteria and being indistinguishable from regular idiocy, it is overlooked.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Deku's quirk is that he's the protagonist instead of Ochako.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Spoilers are lurking about.

They are VERY ADORABLE.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Roland Jones posted:

That's my assumption too, since that seems like something that could be looked up and verified as true from other sources, so unless it's a lie that neither Deku nor his mother ever bothered to do more research on (or the doctor implanted the extra toe joints after having the hypothetical quirk stolen), Deku's just quirkless.

Thanks for reminding me of that detail, though; I should have included that in my first post re: The doctor, but I forgot about it.

Unless you get an x-ray, I'm not sure you'd ever notice if your pinky toe was or wasn't missing a joint. That little fucker is tiny and has very little use even for people with the normal number of joints in it.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Korean scans of the new chapter

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tsuyu with her hair up, Momo with her hair down... Truly, the world has gone mad.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
IT'S HAPPENING

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i have read the newest episode of the manga i read it here http://mangastream.com/r/my_hero_academia/102/3583/1

i like the loud guy a lot

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
the loud guy owns, imo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

loving Monoma.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

1. All Might :(
2. Yay, our second tournament

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Legs Benedict posted:

the loud guy owns, imo

I bet he's the traitor.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Terper posted:

2. Yay, our second tournament

Oh man, if that's how this really goes then I might actually check out for a bit, I didn't love the first one outside of Tokoyami.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

loving Monoma.

He's the best :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

Yeah :allears:

Hope this isn't a tourney and more like the UA entrance exam but whatever. MHA is pretty good about not letting these drag out.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It wouldn't make any sense to have a tournament to decide who gets a hero license, heroes don't usually fight one-on-one battles. It made sense in the Sports Festival because that was meant to be a student showcase.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
If it makes sense to compare it to anything, it would be the entrance exam.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

kidcoelacanth posted:

I love the little reaction zoom in, it was perfect.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Monoma owns. Loud guy owns. Everyone owns. This manga owns.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kyte posted:

Monoma owns. Loud guy owns. Everyone owns. This manga owns.

:yeah:

I can't wait to see Froppy's froggy moves

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Uchako floating around was very plus ultra

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ochaco is too powerful

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
It's interesting that after the last few arcs have all dealt with actual villains and other people we're going back to another School as the 'bad guys'

Curious to see if he can keep up the feeling of threat even while acknowledging the stakes aren't quite as high.

Also wondering which members of the class are going to fail, since he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd do the whole 'Everybody passes!' thing, even though that's kind of what he did with Eraserhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Stallion Cabana posted:

It's interesting that after the last few arcs have all dealt with actual villains and other people we're going back to another School as the 'bad guys'

Curious to see if he can keep up the feeling of threat even while acknowledging the stakes aren't quite as high.

Nah, that one guy is probably a bloodthirsty killer under his positive intensity.