Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Jake Sisko grew up to be a pretty handsome guy. The actor, I mean. Not the guy who played adult Jake in the Visitor.

NOBODY TALKS poo poo ABOUT TONY TODD ON MY WATCH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

What's next, saying the Excelsior is ugly?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Captain Janeway did nothing wrong!

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

She is a very pretty lady, but I have to go on team Leeta because I'm a boob man, and also she likes little Jewish goblin men like me

Sorry to say but the dabo girls had some padding...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Sorry to say but the dabo girls had some padding...

Chase Masterson's entire career is based on her boobs.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I saw her in person and it made me a little sad. She started singing show tunes to a mostly empty room.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Acer Pilot posted:

I saw her in person and it made me a little sad. She started singing show tunes to a mostly empty room.

Quite a few Trek cast members end up doing fuckall in their post Trek career.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Rhyno posted:

Quite a few Trek cast members end up doing fuckall in their post Trek career.

Not just Trek. A lot of actors who have one big job tend to not get another big job, just because there are not a lot of big jobs out there. And to an extent, it's luck; who can say which casting announcement will lead to the 7 year epic that's cherished by generations of obsessives?

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

sisko's the ultimate dilf

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Chase Masterson's entire career is based on her boobs.

A simple google image search will show you why she no longer has a career and it wasn't a particularly impressive one when she did

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I just watched the first episode of Star Trek Next Generation, and my fav so far is Diana. PROTECT HER AND HER EMOTIONS.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mukaikubo posted:

Not just Trek. A lot of actors who have one big job tend to not get another big job, just because there are not a lot of big jobs out there. And to an extent, it's luck; who can say which casting announcement will lead to the 7 year epic that's cherished by generations of obsessives?
I wonder if you can also get typecast. Other than Patrick Stewart, who was already the guy they brought in to class up the joint, have any of the other TNG folks had big roles elsewhere?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

I wonder if you can also get typecast. Other than Patrick Stewart, who was already the guy they brought in to class up the joint, have any of the other TNG folks had big roles elsewhere?

Not on Stewart's level, but Dorn pops up here and there. He's got a respectable IMDb page for a d-lister.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Frakes and Sirtis had Gargoyles I suppose.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Frakes became a pretty prolific TV director instead of acting.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

A simple google image search will show you why she no longer has a career and it wasn't a particularly impressive one when she did

Gis-ed for Chase Masterson and didn't see what you were talking about. Unless you mean that she hopped on the Star trek convention gravy train.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Colm Meany's in everything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Frakes became a pretty prolific TV director instead of acting.

Roxanne Dawson and Robert Duncan McNeill did this too. Trek seems good at springboarding c-list directors.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Frames directed the reboot remake of THUNDERBIRDS if I remember correctly.

Tasha Yarr was in Pet Sematary and maybe one other thing and people realized she has crazy eyes so that didn't pan out.

LeVar Burton was Kunta Kinte and still does Reading Rainbow stuff.

Data just released his role as Crazy Schlubby Scientist in ID: Resurgence. He's done some VO work (notable for being possibly the worst Joker ever but nothing great).

Gates MacFadden and Marina Sirtis just disappeared pretty much. (Sirtis did Gargoyles VO work like 99% of the TNG cast).

Wesley Crusher died on the way to his some dimension. He was cloned but the process inserted a bunch of junk DNA so instead of the Adonis we saw when Q aged him, he turned into Neckbeard Prime. He brews beer at home and spazes out over hockey a lot.

Note that The Big Bang Theory is basically the TNG Old People's home much in the way that Gargoyles was the TNG Let's Take a Daycation to San Diego.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 4, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gates was one of the choreographers in Labyrinth before doing Next Gen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Levar Burton and non-celebrity companion were kidnapped by pirates in the gulf of Mexico, obviously.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FilthyImp posted:

LeVar Burton was Kunta Kinte and still does Reading Rainbow stuff.

He was the biggest star in the cast at the start, not counting Stewart's theater work.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

remusclaw posted:

Gates was one of the choreographers in Labyrinth before doing Next Gen.
I remembered she had some kind of dance background but wasn't sure if she had trained under Fossé or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

I remembered she had some kind of dance background but wasn't sure if she had trained under Fossé or something.

Lecoq.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Skeesix posted:

Gis-ed for Chase Masterson and didn't see what you were talking about. Unless you mean that she hopped on the Star trek convention gravy train.

I mean her tits are poo poo!! She must be wearing some kind of 24th century wonderbra, if people only like her or give her jobs based on her chest, then it's little wonder she's disappeared.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

I mean her tits are poo poo!! She must be wearing some kind of 24th century wonderbra, if people only like her or give her jobs based on her chest, then it's little wonder she's disappeared.
Computer, design a Bra that would give me rocking tits.
:Sounds of LCARS crashing:

alternately
Computer, design a Bra that would give me rocking tits.

UNABLE TO COMPLY. PLEASE SPECIFY A CHOICE BETWEEN PROGRAMS 'RYKER-EPSILON-69' AND 'LAFORGE-ALPHA-29-DELTA-37'

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 4, 2016

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I just started watching TNG for the first time since watching it with my dad as a kid, and goddamn is Wesley Crusher a poorly used character. He's not a bad character, and I can't bring myself to hate Wil Wheaton, but he's way too well adjusted for a teen growing up on a spaceship. He should be smoking space-weed out behind the warp core and getting into trouble, not agonising over his Academy entrance.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bargearse posted:

I just started watching TNG for the first time since watching it with my dad as a kid, and goddamn is Wesley Crusher a poorly used character. He's not a bad character, and I can't bring myself to hate Wil Wheaton, but he's way too well adjusted for a teen growing up on a spaceship. He should be smoking space-weed out behind the warp core and getting into trouble, not agonising over his Academy entrance.

Wesley was Gene's super special wunderkind pet character. There actually was an argument behind the scenes of an episode several seasons later over if Wesley should have done the "right" thing or what a realistic teen would have chosen to do.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bargearse posted:

Maybe he was the only teenaged hew-mon on board due to some quirk of demographics so he became a complete nerd-lord instead of causing poo poo. Or maybe he had to grow up fast because Beverly was a total hot mess at home and he had to step up.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Also, was there a budget boost between seasons 1 and 2?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bargearse posted:

Doesn't look like it, but S2 did only have 22 episodes due to other poo poo going on, so they'd have had more money rattling around on a per-episode basis - especially since one of those episodes was a clip show.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Nessus posted:

Doesn't look like it, but S2 did only have 22 episodes due to other poo poo going on, so they'd have had more money rattling around on a per-episode basis - especially since one of those episodes was a clip show.

I don't know about that. It's not like they knew there'd be a strike when they budgeted out the episodes.

I think the two big factors were they didn't have to spend a bunch of money upfront on sets and wardrobe and stuff and they started hiring less horrible directors.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

The production values seem a lot better from season 3 onwards. The transporter room set looks like it got the biggest overhaul, then again I suppose they were using it for the later TOS movies and it had to look up to scratch.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Some was probably just people getting used to poo poo and realizing that, yes, this project was not going to collapse in three episodes.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Yeah, that makes sense. As you said, by that time most of the sets would have been built and paid for. From that point on, I suppose it would have been relatively cheap to make small improvements as they went.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Bargearse posted:

In fact, the budget was reduced and the main sacrifice was made in razors for Frakes.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

She must be wearing some kind of 24th century wonderbra, if people only like her or give her jobs based on her chest, then it's little wonder she's disappeared.

Late-90s me can back this up. Late-90s me did extensive research. Leeta's boobs are part-costume.

EDIT: Now I think about it, I remember hearing that the starfleet uniforms also had all sorts of padding going on. Apparently it was against the rules for there to be any hint of a bra. If bras are obsolete in the 24th century, then starfleet must be using some kind of forcefield tech, which sounds about right for them. I remember reading an interview where Nicole de Boer mentioned her uniform was padded for size as well as smoothness, so I guess starfleet has a minimum boob size as well. I think some of the guys also had padding, like Worf, and I assume Frakes because past season 2 he just sort of became a smooth cylinder. Combined with the type of actors they used, the end result sort of gave all 24th century starfleet officers the same smooth body shape.

Dirty fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 4, 2016

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Tasha Yarr was in Pet Sematary and maybe one other thing and people realized she has crazy eyes so that didn't pan out.
Eh, her crazy eyes worked well enough for her to be in a couple of episodes of The Walking Dead at least.

FilthyImp posted:

Wesley Crusher died on the way to his some dimension. He was cloned but the process inserted a bunch of junk DNA so instead of the Adonis we saw when Q aged him, he turned into Neckbeard Prime. He brews beer at home and spazes out over hockey a lot.

He also ended up in a couple of episodes of Dark Matter.
The last thing I saw Sirtis in was The Grudge.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Maybe I'm misremembering the Valiant episode but I got the distinct impression that Red Squad airlocked the actual captain for not being RED SQUAD enough to do what needed to be done. I seem to remember they were all pretty shifty when talking about where their captain was, and were just like "oh the entire crew died except for the captain so he promoted all of us and then went on vacation no more questions".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Patrick Stewart, Levar Burton and Whoopi Goldberg already had fairly prolific acting careers before TNG. Patrick Stewart is also one of the greatest actors alive.

Michael Dorn does a lot of voice acting, and so does Marina Sirtis. Michael Dorn also did well enough to afford his own fighter jet. No, I poo poo you not. Worf has a fighter jet.