Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw three lanes of highway host an epic elephant race. There was a line of about 6 semi trucks in the right lane with one passing the pack in the middle lane. Some van starts passing the semi in the middle as a Camero comes flying up and gets on his rear end, probably pushing 100. The van panicked and cuts off the passing semi, who has to jam his brakes as another semi has started to try and pass him. That guy has to swerve into the left lane to avoid the slowing semi in the middle, and now some others have to start slowing down. The van is now stuck in the middle of a pack of semis slowing down and speeding up and passing each other, and the entire 3 lanes turns into a threshing machine. This takes about 10 minutes to sort itself out and the van is afraid to try and get out of the entire mess. It was a thing of wonder to behold.

This happened a week ago but I was in the middle of Bumfuck, Arizona and didn't have reception to post it so the details are a bit fuzzy, but my God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I am becoming so frustrated by 60 mph elephant races on our 75 and 80 mph highways, that I am ready to ask the Wyoming state legislators to take action. Something along the line that if you are driving a truck with a 65 mph governor, you are not allowed to overtake on any uphill grade. That and any overtake that takes longer than 60 seconds must be abandoned. Following two trucks for 20 miles for 20 minutes on a long grade at 60 mph is just unreasonable and unsafe.

The sudden blockage to 20-100 vehicles traveling at 75-80 mph is just not safe. It causes further aggression among the drivers trapped behind it. When the plug is finally removed and traffic can drain past them, the behavior of those drivers further exacerbates the aggression which reverberates through traffic for up to 100 miles afterwards. Longer if yet another elephant race is encountered.

You want to have a 65 mph governor on your truck to save fuel? Fine, maybe we can further improve your fuel cost savings with a law that keeps the trucks in a nice slow line saving you plenty of fuel. I would imagine that in this day and age that there would be some form of smart governor that would allow your truck the ability to exceed the governed 65 mph limit every 5 or 15 minutes solely for the purpose of overtaking?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

More specific regulations won't help, because who the gently caress is going to be around to enforce 50 different rules detailing when you can and can't pass? When you got one state trooper per 200 miles of road, everyone is going to be able to do whatever the gently caress they want 99% of the time.

No effective fix is going to be cheap.. you either ramp up the licensing requirements so we have better educated drivers, or overhaul the interstate system to be three lanes minimum.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

corgski posted:

I did that 5 years ago in a '92 GMC Jimmy at about 50. That transmission is still going too.

The 4L60 and its variants has a forward and reverse "abuse" valve. If my memory serves me correctly, it is designed specifically to protect the transmission from such occasional mistakes with the shifter as a result of teenagers, manchildren, and people angry over receiving a lemon or wanting to force the exercise of options under their dwindling warranty.

here is one of a couple examples of the layouts used, this one being from the 4L60e

if memory serves me correctly, these valves and their accumulator to cushion it, in your non electronic 92 4L60 would have been located in what is called the "auxiliary valve body" which is one of many features that differentiated from the original 700R4 transmissions.

I have not built one since about 2000 or 2001, but I still remember the thousand or so I built. Plus I own 91 and 92 Camaros still. One of which has a transbrake TH350 (sitting on the floor over in the corner) the other has a built up 700R4 with a few 4L60 updates, but needs refreshed with 4L65/4L70 updates probably. The original engine and trans for that car is in the shed.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

xzzy posted:

More specific regulations won't help, because who the gently caress is going to be around to enforce 50 different rules detailing when you can and can't pass? When you got one state trooper per 200 miles of road, everyone is going to be able to do whatever the gently caress they want 99% of the time.

No effective fix is going to be cheap.. you either ramp up the licensing requirements so we have better educated drivers, or overhaul the interstate system to be three lanes minimum.

In Wyoming we have great enforcement of the other laws. Especially on I-80 and I-25. Even if it just helps those roads, and just in Wyoming, then I would be very happy. Truckers/trucking companies will just learn that Wyoming is a "you pass, you pay" state and get this governor thing under control. I figure other states like Colorado and Nevada will see the revenue and improvement to safety and jump on the bandwagon.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Rich idiots in their dumbass SUVs make me laugh and simultaneously cringe with their level of entitlement and fuckery. Like the moron who tried to prevent me from merging onto the interstate (2 lane on-ramp) by pacing me in his Lexus SUV, smirking and riding way too close to the person ahead of him. Funny enough, there wasn't anyone behind the Lexus dude, so I slowed down, slid behind him, found an opening in traffic and eased across two nearly empty lanes. Dumbass Lexus driver ended up getting caught in a big mess of traffic when the old fart in front of him slowed down instead of speeding up to merge, then Lextard darted between a couple cars and rode my bumper for a couple miles until I took my exit. Not my problem that you're in a hurry and suck at driving you poo poo-swizzling twatwaffle, maybe learn to manage your time better and pay attention?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Rich idiots in their dumbass SUVs make me laugh and simultaneously cringe with their level of entitlement and fuckery. Like the moron who tried to prevent me from merging onto the interstate (2 lane on-ramp) by pacing me in his Lexus SUV, smirking and riding way too close to the person ahead of him. Funny enough, there wasn't anyone behind the Lexus dude, so I slowed down, slid behind him, found an opening in traffic and eased across two nearly empty lanes. Dumbass Lexus driver ended up getting caught in a big mess of traffic when the old fart in front of him slowed down instead of speeding up to merge, then Lextard darted between a couple cars and rode my bumper for a couple miles until I took my exit. Not my problem that you're in a hurry and suck at driving you poo poo-swizzling twatwaffle, maybe learn to manage your time better and pay attention?
This is, like, the single best way to prompt me to suddenly not be in a hurry.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Krakkles posted:

Engaging coast mode.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Krakkles posted:

I think of doing that as my little contribution to their eventual court-ordered anger management class.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Today i saw a guy standing in the bed of a pickup holding a fridge on a major street/highway through town. I guess a few ratchet straps is just too much effort.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

jamal posted:

Today i saw a guy standing in the bed of a pickup holding a fridge on a major street/highway through town. I guess a few ratchet straps is just too much effort.

Probably too much money. Why drop $20 on a four-pack of ratchet straps when Billy can just hold on to it? It's only x miles home!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I had a middle age fat dude in a minivan cut me off in the far left lane on the highway today and just sit and stare, grinning at me in the side mirror, completely ignoring traffic ahead of him just to make sure I knew he did it to slow me down.

So I undertook him and the car he was pacing and brought it back up to my previous speed. There's three lanes on this highway fella.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I just don't get people. I was working in D.C. Sunday night and got out around 11:30, so no traffic. Get on the GW Parkway heading up to MD and I'm just going like 58 in a 50, and there's a guy in the left lane (it's two lanes) so i give a quick flash to let him know I'm gaining since he's going way slow and no one is in the right lane, and he darts over. Darts over like crazy fast like he thought it was some emergency situation, which it of course wasn't. So I figure that's weird but whatever, I pass and move on.

Shortly thereafter there's an suv going slow in the passing lane with no one on the right, and then I heart it. The fart can to end all fart cans. It's the guy I had just passed, which turned out to be a lowered Civic hatchback with stickers in the window, speeding up so he can block me on the right, and the suv in front doesn't have space to merge over. Alright chief, I guess you win. Joke's on you since all three of us are now traveling at the exact same speed I started off at so I'm perfectly happy. Eventually we shift around, suv drops back as we let the asshat move up front and I get in the right lane as there's no one left to pass.

Not good enough for this guy though. Once we reach the beltway where I'm comfortable driving plenty fast since everyone else is, I pass him and with 4-5 lanes and minimal traffic he's certainly not going to block me, but he at least tries to stay behind me and match every lane change just so I know he's a big tough guy with 106hp. He finally went away when the highway split and I went North.

Also on Saturday a hipster in an olive green plastidipped BMW 3 series almost merged into me as he swerved across 2 lanes without bothering to check the second. He dropped back and at least felt shame about it, but I noticed he had the led DRL's set to red lights. Red lights on the front of a car, that can't possibly be legal right?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

davebo posted:

I just don't get people. I was working in D.C. Sunday night and got out around 11:30, so no traffic. Get on the GW Parkway heading up to MD and I'm just going like 58 in a 50, and there's a guy in the left lane (it's two lanes) so i give a quick flash to let him know I'm gaining since he's going way slow and no one is in the right lane, and he darts over. Darts over like crazy fast like he thought it was some emergency situation, which it of course wasn't. So I figure that's weird but whatever, I pass and move on.

Shortly thereafter there's an suv going slow in the passing lane with no one on the right, and then I heart it. The fart can to end all fart cans. It's the guy I had just passed, which turned out to be a lowered Civic hatchback with stickers in the window, speeding up so he can block me on the right, and the suv in front doesn't have space to merge over. Alright chief, I guess you win. Joke's on you since all three of us are now traveling at the exact same speed I started off at so I'm perfectly happy. Eventually we shift around, suv drops back as we let the asshat move up front and I get in the right lane as there's no one left to pass.

Not good enough for this guy though. Once we reach the beltway where I'm comfortable driving plenty fast since everyone else is, I pass him and with 4-5 lanes and minimal traffic he's certainly not going to block me, but he at least tries to stay behind me and match every lane change just so I know he's a big tough guy with 106hp. He finally went away when the highway split and I went North.

Also on Saturday a hipster in an olive green plastidipped BMW 3 series almost merged into me as he swerved across 2 lanes without bothering to check the second. He dropped back and at least felt shame about it, but I noticed he had the led DRL's set to red lights. Red lights on the front of a car, that can't possibly be legal right?
Depends on the state (or I guess Federal / DC if you were still there), but in most, no, probably not. In California any front facing red light is illegal if you're not law enforcement/fire/EMS or an armored car specfically resisting robbery.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm enjoying that idiots are recording themselves doing illegal things. I mean holding a loving phone whilst driving for a start is a good one...

http://www.smh.com.au/video/video-news/video-nsw-news/cyclists-targeted-in-truck-road-rage-20160801-4iozh.html

Dumbbbbbbbbbb

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Blake is the perfect name for a cyclist

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Krakkles posted:

Depends on the state (or I guess Federal / DC if you were still there), but in most, no, probably not. In California any front facing red light is illegal if you're not law enforcement/fire/EMS or an armored car specfically resisting robbery.

Additionally, many states make it illegal to have any blue light on your car, and in some places white light from the rear (i.e. broken taillight housing, reverse lights stuck on, unshrouded license plate light) is its own citation.

I've seen a bunch of fire truck with red and green lights in Chicago. I can never remember my starboard from my port, so I don't know what the gently caress that's about.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Easiest way to remember port and starboard is this:
Both "port" and "left" have 4 letters. Port is a type of red wine.

Port = Left, Red
Starboard = Right, Green

Speaking of lights, are there any states that actually allow you to have some sort of flashing light on your car so long as it's not blue or red?

I've seen private construction companies carry amber lights, hearses with amber or purple, and private security with everything in between.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I think amber is typically okay for general use.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, again I can only really speak for CA law, but there's about 30 different scenarios where flashing amber is ok.

"On a private vehicle" is not, however, one of them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, again I can only really speak for CA law, but there's about 30 different scenarios where flashing amber is ok.

"On a private vehicle" is not, however, one of them.

Does CA not allow you to use turn signals or emergency flashers then? :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Locator posted:

Sorry, yes. I was thinking "non-blinker/flasher".

Here's the vehicle code on turn signals and flashing lights.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 3, 2016

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

The Locator posted:

This is America, rear signals should be all-red and preferably share the bulb with the brake light. Even better if it's the only bulb in the housing.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Additionally, many states make it illegal to have any blue light on your car

Which is the way it loving should be. A few years back public transport here introduced a (massively delayed, over priced and over complicated) unified bus pass system, and the readers all have this rather sharp blue light, which sits more or less in the windshield of all busses. It's super annoying, because even now there's 100ms of completely unnecessary ohshitemergencyvehicle every time.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

bolind posted:

Which is the way it loving should be. A few years back public transport here introduced a (massively delayed, over priced and over complicated) unified bus pass system, and the readers all have this rather sharp blue light, which sits more or less in the windshield of all busses. It's super annoying, because even now there's 100ms of completely unnecessary ohshitemergencyvehicle every time.

that looks nothing like an emergency vehicle are you bolind

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Elsa posted:

All it takes is catching that blue in a mirror briefly to cause a double take.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
TxDOT loves blue/yellow and that poo poo always makes me do a double take

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

xzzy posted:

All it takes is catching that blue in a mirror briefly to cause a double take.

Yeah, the rise of vape shops with flashing red and blue LED signs has totally hosed with my head.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elsa posted:

:golfclap:

(not an emptyquote)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Yeah, the rise of vape shops with flashing red and blue LED signs has totally hosed with my head.

There's a church near my parent's house with a sign that alternates between red text on blue and blue text on red. Drives me loving nuts especially because I got pulled over there once.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Protocol7 posted:

There's a church near my parent's house with a sign that alternates between red text on blue and blue text on red. Drives me loving nuts especially because I got pulled over there once.

Was he trying to shoot pull over the sign, and missed and got you by mistake?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The Locator posted:

Was he trying to shoot pull over the sign, and missed and got you by mistake?

Oh no, I was definitely going 60 in a 45. Learned my lesson real quick

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
lovely ebay HIDs + my glasses results in a blue tinged spot to one side since they refract the light a bit and it makes me double take every loving time it happens while driving at night.

Curse you, ebay HIDs :argh:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

B4Ctom1 posted:

I am becoming so frustrated by 60 mph elephant races on our 75 and 80 mph highways, that I am ready to ask the Wyoming state legislators to take action. Something along the line that if you are driving a truck with a 65 mph governor, you are not allowed to overtake on any uphill grade. That and any overtake that takes longer than 60 seconds must be abandoned. Following two trucks for 20 miles for 20 minutes on a long grade at 60 mph is just unreasonable and unsafe.

The sudden blockage to 20-100 vehicles traveling at 75-80 mph is just not safe. It causes further aggression among the drivers trapped behind it. When the plug is finally removed and traffic can drain past them, the behavior of those drivers further exacerbates the aggression which reverberates through traffic for up to 100 miles afterwards. Longer if yet another elephant race is encountered.

You want to have a 65 mph governor on your truck to save fuel? Fine, maybe we can further improve your fuel cost savings with a law that keeps the trucks in a nice slow line saving you plenty of fuel. I would imagine that in this day and age that there would be some form of smart governor that would allow your truck the ability to exceed the governed 65 mph limit every 5 or 15 minutes solely for the purpose of overtaking?

65 mph would be fast. Its usually 61 mph for the best efficiency. I used to do month to month fuel economy reporting for my company's fleet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

lovely ebay HIDs + my glasses results in a blue tinged spot to one side since they refract the light a bit and it makes me double take every loving time it happens while driving at night.

Curse you, ebay HIDs :argh:

I was going to post this earlier but sometimes I think I'm crazy. Glad I'm not the only one who does this.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Additionally, many states make it illegal to have any blue light on your car, and in some places white light from the rear (i.e. broken taillight housing, reverse lights stuck on, unshrouded license plate light) is its own citation.

I've seen a bunch of fire truck with red and green lights in Chicago. I can never remember my starboard from my port, so I don't know what the gently caress that's about.

There's an older model lexus that has 2 brake lights on the trunk that for some reason get washed out, and look like reverse lights. It's probably confirmation bias, but almost every time I see that model, it has the washed out brake lights.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rear fogs?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

AFewBricksShy posted:

There's an older model lexus that has 2 brake lights on the trunk that for some reason get washed out, and look like reverse lights. It's probably confirmation bias, but almost every time I see that model, it has the washed out brake lights.

It's the old GS. More often than not, those trunklid lights are faded all to hell.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The singer of Modest Mouse crashed into multiple Subarus in Portland.

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2016/8/4/12376010/modest-mouse-singer-isaac-brock-car-wreck-portland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
e:dp

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 4, 2016