Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Slate Action posted:

I do keep hearing from Bernouts about how HRC's turnout machine isn't as good as people assume. No idea if they're right:

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/761050953076215808

There are dozens of us! DOZENS!

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Seams posted:

so assuming clinton wins who does the GOP run against her in 2020? I'm guessing cruz considering rubio is finished forever

I hope it's Cruz because everybody loving hates him and there would be a concerted effort from the left to make sure he's not elected. He's that bad. He's a huge piece of a poo poo.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Slate Action posted:

I do keep hearing from Bernouts about how HRC's turnout machine isn't as good as people assume. No idea if they're right:

I have some sympathy for them. I loved Bernie as a candidate and I still love him as an elected official.

But he lost. We gotta move on.

The GOP rallied behind Trump once he won (granted, to hilarious results, but still). Republicans weren't gung-ho about McCain or Romney either for various reasons and they still got behind them, too. I wish people on the left had that discipline. It's possible to get behind a candidate you aren't crazy about and keep your principles.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Slate Action posted:

lol, I guess we should listen to this VICE columnist's friends opinions over, you know, polling

Also Boosted get your chicken poo poo rear end in here

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/761204358805594113

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

TheScott2K posted:

I was looking forward to Republican Tears Day but now I'm just enjoying Republican Tears Year.

I think I will create two feeds this year. One for the alt right trumpstaffel tears and one for the never trump crew. You know, since there isn't actually a Republican Party.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Atoramos posted:

Is there any historical precedent for a candidate to reach their highest-polling mark after the conventions, and still lose?

Not really. If you're well ahead after the conventions you're untouchable. Mind you we're not there yet, and the conventions were really early. The next 2-3 weeks are going to be very interesting.

Just like in the Democratic primary, she can still lose, but the fundamentals of the race would need to somehow change, and in Trump's favour.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Slate Action posted:

Bernouts are the loving delusional ones. Hillary vastly over performed in the final primaries. What Bernouts called "rigging" was actually just good organizational structure.

gently caress me, I voted for Bernie (in Iowa!) but Bernie supporters drive me loving batty.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Atoramos posted:

Is there any historical precedent for a candidate to reach their highest-polling mark after the conventions, and still lose?

Well many candidates do in fact reach their highest polling mark after the conventions, and about half of them lose!

But for candidates who have hit similar margins to Clinton and still lost, Dukakis in '88.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I still wouldn't stop Arzying just yet. Just look at Clinton's 50/50 chance to lose this critical swing state:

I just don't know, you guys.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've spoken to many Bernie supporters and Delegates and they tell me that Bernie will win CA/Hillary stole AZ and NY/ whats in the speeches????

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

this loving election, oh my god

is Melania now going to self-deport?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Louisgod posted:

I hope it's Cruz because everybody loving hates him and there would be a concerted effort from the left to make sure he's not elected. He's that bad. He's a huge piece of a poo poo.

It will be Cruz. His RNC speech will be looked back upon as wise. He's the answer for the inevitable cries of "We lost because Trump wasn't conservative enough!"

And he will get stomped because he's the most repellent person anyone has ever seen. Next to him, Hillary looks like Meryl Streep.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

They're gonna ratfuck Trump, aren't they?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

if playing xcom has taught me anything its that this is more like a 50/50 chance of a chrysalid disembowling my veteran soldier and turning the entire operation into a failure and australia will pull its funding and the aliens will win

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

broken clock opsec posted:

if she cracks the GOP this year there will be no organized effort against her in 2020

i mean, 'the strongest gop presidential candidate field in a generation' isn't organized against her as it is now

There is going to be a republican presidential candidate who takes the few coherent parts of Trump's campaign, and who isn't mentally ill, and he is going to ride them to the white house. Maybe they won't be organized enough to get the job done in 2020, but likely in 2024.

I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but you can make some salient arguments that free trade isn't a great deal for all Americans, or that NATO is a relic from World War 2 that needs to be adjusted, or even that the United States doesn't have to be the world's nuclear weapons authority and hall monitor unless there is a direct economic interest in it for us (i.e. a protection racket that cuts out the part about funneling money to multi-national corporations and sends it straight to the American people).

And that's what Trump's campaign has really been to me. A few ideas that espouse conservative orthodoxy that rally together republican voters who feel sold out by their party, that just happens to be layered under mountains of madness.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mr. Pumroy posted:

if playing xcom has taught me anything its that this is more like a 50/50 chance of a chrysalid disembowling my veteran soldier and turning the entire operation into a failure and australia will pull its funding and the aliens will win

when you hit trump zombies they turn even more monstrous

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I think everyone is a bit too excited about the polls. I'm including myself in this. She had a great bounce after the convention, but that will settle down in the next few weeks, too. If we're still here 2 weeks from now, then I'll start buying the champagne. But I'm not celebrating over these polls for the same reason I wasn't depressed by the polls after the RNC that had Trump in the lead. Things will change.

That being said, it's a lot of fun watching the Right freak the gently caress out about them.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

WampaLord posted:

It will be Cruz. His RNC speech will be looked back upon as wise. He's the answer for the inevitable cries of "We lost because Trump wasn't conservative enough!"

And he will get stomped because he's the most repellent person anyone has ever seen. Next to him, Hillary looks like Meryl Streep.

Yeah, just what the GOP needs! Doubling-down on crazy didn't work, and tripling-down on crazy blew up even worse. But quadrupling down, THAT'S gonna do it!

Ugh. These loving clowns.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Me this morning

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Atoramos posted:

I still wouldn't stop Arzying just yet. Just look at Clinton's 50/50 chance to lose this critical swing state:

I just don't know, you guys.

I can't wait for the apocalyptic meltdowns on Youtube from Arizonans whose political clout is undone by Californians migrating and Hispanics organizing.

I'm going to watch them with "Nearer my God to Thee" on in the background.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Hilldawg is gonna be 72 when she runs for re-election if she wins the presidency this year. I know people are living longer and longer these days, but it's also possible she might just not run for health reasons.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Well many candidates do in fact reach their highest polling mark after the conventions, and about half of them lose!

But for candidates who have hit similar margins to Clinton and still lost, Dukakis in '88.

This is a good example but not the way you might think. Dukakis was polling gangbusters against Bush until the conventions, which were held in the same order as this year, as in incumbent last. Bush surged ahead after the RNC, and was never down in the polls again. So if this is a repeat of 1988, Trump is Dukakis.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So Trump has basically no chance at Florida? Is it even possible for the GOP to win without it? Is it too late to nominate McCain again?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The Nastier Nate posted:

There is going to be a republican presidential candidate who takes the few coherent parts of Trump's campaign, and who isn't mentally ill, and he is going to ride them to the white house. Maybe they won't be organized enough to get the job done in 2020, but likely in 2024.

I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but you can make some salient arguments that free trade isn't a great deal for all Americans, or that NATO is a relic from World War 2 that needs to be adjusted, or even that the United States doesn't have to be the world's nuclear weapons authority and hall monitor unless there is a direct economic interest in it for us (i.e. a protection racket that cuts out the part about funneling money to multi-national corporations and sends it straight to the American people).

And that's what Trump's campaign has really been to me. A few ideas that espouse conservative orthodoxy that rally together republican voters who feel sold out by their party, that just happens to be layered under mountains of madness.

counterpoint: the entirety of the republican party is mentally ill

evidence: they thought they could run trump

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Read this top to bottom and Trump keeps going up up UP!

https://twitter.com/HawkinsUSA/status/761136693042905088

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

zoux posted:

For four years they've been planning to run against Obama's third term and then this happens lmao

they knew this was going to happen too. they knew Hillary was going to get the 16 nom and all they had to do was stack ammo during her congressional and executive tenures to use if the gop nom slipped up so they could control the media narrative. They farted that all away in the last three years because boy howdy they just hate Obama so much and wouldn't it be great if we use all this leverage to make an outgoing president less popular? Then they double down by squandering any power Benjamin ghazi or emailgate had, blowing their load in the primaries. So now all they have left to attack Hillary's record is some flimsy Iran payment poo poo when they could have stretched the email investigation so that they could use it to attack every single day until it resolved

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

So Trump has basically no chance at Florida? Is it even possible for the GOP to win without it? Is it too late to nominate McCain again?

If those 13% Latino voter numbers are true, nope.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Antti posted:

This is a good example but not the way you might think. Dukakis was polling gangbusters against Bush until the conventions, which were held in the same order as this year, as in incumbent last. Bush surged ahead after the RNC, and was never down in the polls again. So if this is a repeat of 1988, Trump is Dukakis.

Hm yeah I forgot how early in the season the conventions were this year.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

The Nastier Nate posted:

8 years ago it was crazy how much the demographics had shifted since the Bush years. Now we're seeing those same demographic shifts put the Senate in play for the Dems when it shouldn't be. A 50/50 chance Clinton takes AZ on the 538 now-cast. 8 years from now, it's going to be even harder running on a platform of xenophobia and conservatism, especially when Obama will have become the Reagan of the Left.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Nenonen posted:

this loving election, oh my god

is Melania now going to self-deport?

yes

our first presidential divorce

our first presidential remarriage

the bachelor: white house

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zoux posted:

If those 13% Latino voter numbers are true, nope.

Exactly this. Like, if that's the margin Hillary is winning Latino voters by, then wrap it all up, that's the ball game.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Atoramos posted:

I hope everyone is Arzying because these numbers do not look good for Clinton:

8.4% that Trump could beat Clinton is insane. Just insane.

I've never seen a convention bump that looked like a sympathy bump before.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

No, kinda, yes.

There's a scenario where white turnout goes off the charts, uneducated whites go for Trump in droves and minority turnout and their R/D split remains static, where Trump conquers states like WI, MI, OH and PA while losing FL. But it requires some crazy assumptions.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fart blood posted:

They're gonna ratfuck Trump, aren't they?

:cripes: that fucker is going to get away :argh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm still lolling at the lede in that Rasmussen poll article.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Slate Action posted:

I've been going to volunteer meetings to organize GOTV efforts. They're full of poo poo. We regularly get so many volunteers that we can't fit them all in the office.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Nastier Nate posted:

The two coherent parts of Trump's campaign are (1) explicitly pandering to the economic struggles of poor white republican voters and (2) racism. 1 is a solid strategy for winning the Republican primary but these are Republican voters for the most part anyway. 2 blocks you from winning because of the demographic changes in the United States: you cannot win the Presidency with the sort of losses among minorities that racism now causes. Trumpism is a dead end for the Republican coalition.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
i hope they somehow get trump to resign as nominee and replace him with jeb!

i mean the main problem with the ratfuck theory is that there isn't really any alternative at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

I'm still lolling at the lede in that Rasmussen poll article.

Pretty sure that tweet was using the lede from the previous week's poll by mistake.

https://twitter.com/a__robot/status/761187007947079680

• Locked thread