Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

you should read the BvS thread, they're arguing over how often batman should murder people

i thought the hot debate now was "what makes this movie bad, define bad" over and over again to deflect every take that the movie is in fact bad in terms of writing, shooting, and stupid characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah like, I don't really need Captain America to be a rabid sovereign citizen or whatever poo poo, but even the idea that he as a character is totally unaware of the implications of that kind of "I won't be beholden to agendas" statement and nobody's really willing to call him on it because they're too nervously reverent of his patriotic service, that would be way more than what we got

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

mind the walrus posted:

When I see a Marvel movie I can imagine a wide swath of people who like it. Little kids, casual fans, turbonerds, even old people (no for real I saw two old people at the first Captain America movie's midnight screening and they goddamn loved it).

Hell, there were a couple of old ladies at the theatre I saw Deadpool in and they seemed to enjoy it. Of course, a kid also had a seizure or something at that showing but still.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I agree. Both of The Avengers movies are some of the worst movies to come out of the MCU so far, to be honest. The first one is shot like a TV movie, while the second one is just a mess. I'm very glad Joss Whedon doesn't have much, if any, influence over the films now, that's for sure.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Bro Dad posted:

I agree. Both of The Avengers movies are some of the worst movies to come out of the MCU so far, to be honest. The first one is shot like a TV movie, while the second one is just a mess. I'm very glad Joss Whedon doesn't have much, if any, influence over the films now, that's for sure.

Way to copy-paste my post word for word from the Cinema Discussion thread lol

I stand by it, even though I admit that I do still genuinely enjoy the first Avengers movie once in a blue moon. It's not one I'd rewatch often, but I don't hate it

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

At the very least I've enjoyed all the Marvel films to some degree. Except the Avengers films, which are really long, kinda boring and have really lovely dialogue.

I want them to do a Blade series like Daredevil on Netflix because that would rule.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The first Avengers film somehow managed to get tens of millions of people to view it through rosecoloured glasses and get instantly nostalgic over lines like "That's my secret Cap, I'm always angry!" and "I have an army/We have a Hulk" and meme the gently caress out of it all over Tumblr/Twitter/Facebook and completely ignore all its lovely aspects like it was some beloved movie from their childhood. It was the damnedest thing.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The first Avengers film somehow managed to get tens of millions of people to view it through rosecoloured glasses and get instantly nostalgic over lines like "That's my secret Cap, I'm always angry!" and "I have an army/We have a Hulk" and meme the gently caress out of it all over Tumblr/Twitter/Facebook and completely ignore all its lovely aspects like it was some beloved movie from their childhood. It was the damnedest thing.

I totally agree that people view it through rosecloured glasses. Personally, I think it's because it was one of the first movies of its kind (a superhero team up movie, featuring superheroes from their own individual movies) - and many hadn't seen a movie like that before. Looking back, now that it's been done better, it looks pretty mediocre in retrospect.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Jonny_Rocket posted:

now that it's been done better, it looks pretty mediocre in retrospect.

What did it better than the Avengers? Not being a dick; I'm genuinely curious. Because the Avengers 2 was worse and BvS is garbage and I can't think of any other franchises that are doing the "everyone gets their own movie then we team up" thing

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the exact same rabid fans that are defending bvs while trying not to cry were the ones pretending avengers was a masterpiece for the ages.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

What did it better than the Avengers? Not being a dick; I'm genuinely curious. Because the Avengers 2 was worse and BvS is garbage and I can't think of any other franchises that are doing the "everyone gets their own movie then we team up" thing

captain america 3?

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

Captain America: Civil War was leagues better than both of The Avengers films and featured a majority of those characters, but I'm not sure if that really counts? Guardians of the Galaxy also did a better job with handling a team, even though none of them had their own films prior.

Edit: Goddamnit, beaten by seconds like a ginger stepchild

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Bro Dad posted:

captain america 3?

Oh right. I haven't seen it, sorry.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Captain America: Civil War was leagues better than both of The Avengers films and featured a majority of those characters, but I'm not sure if that really counts? Guardians of the Galaxy also did a better job with handling a team, even though none of them had their own films prior.

Yeah I don't think GotG counts, really, since it wasn't bringing together a cast that had their own movies, but I guess CA3 works.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Civil War really did cause everyone to look back at the Avengers movies and go "wow we gave a soft pass to those two."

The first one has a ton of awful stuff I can slag on but given how easily it could have hosed up (it could have been Mark Millar's Ultimates) I'm content to let it fade into memory.

The second one.... jesus there really isn't an excuse for that. It's got lots of good bits, and it's remarkable it holds together as well as it does, but yeah as both an individual movie and as part of the wider Marvel movies it's kind-of an embarrassment. It's clear that Joss Whedon wasn't on the same page as Disney and he can be a big gay baby when his vision isn't the top voice in the room (it's why his only real successes have been on TV shows where he's been the head honcho fighting those dastardly TV executives).

The funny thing is how obvious it is that Whedon wanted to make this dark, grim, nasty stress test of the characters while Disney wanted it to be a light-hearted romp... and in the wake of Civil War treating Age of Ultron as a hollow popcorn fireworks display where the audience wonders why the Avengers seem so unconcerned with loving up the world they supposedly want to save only to face the fallout a year later would have been the better thematic move.

And I say this as an unapologetic Joss Whedon fan who unironically loves Buffy and Angel, and considers Angel's Season Five one of the best runs of television period.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 4, 2016

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

Oh right. I haven't seen it, sorry.

its worth it for the spiderman part at least

also probably the first superhero movie where the villain was intelligent and had a good plan

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bro Dad posted:

also probably the first superhero movie where the villain was intelligent and had a good plan

Well, until you think about how he was possibly able to predict that so many moving parts would come together in a way he could take advantage of. Like yeah not forseeing Black Panther's involvement was his downfall, but how on earth could he have predicted that at any point the world governments or Captain America or Bucky wouldn't just die or escape or even chill out?

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Spider-Man and Black Panther are both fantastic, and easily my favorite parts about the third Captain America film. Zemo was a great villain as well, as his plan was to more or less fracture the Avengers team from the inside, and basically succeeded. His plan wasn't grandiose or anything, which was refreshing

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I do like that Joss' brother has done a better job with the MCU than him; yeah Agents of Shield can probably be considered noncanon at this point, but I don't because its a good show with some of my favorite character actors showing up for one season

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Well, until you think about how he was possibly able to predict that so many moving parts would come together in a way he could take advantage of. Like yeah not forseeing Black Panther's involvement was his downfall, but how on earth could he have predicted that at any point the world governments or Captain America or Bucky wouldn't just die or escape or even chill out?

cause theyre superheroes. he took advantage of their messianic complex to "get things done themselves" and come after him

kind of a fun twist actually

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

fatman vs pooperman

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bro Dad posted:

cause theyre superheroes. he took advantage of their messianic complex to "get things done themselves" and come after him

kind of a fun twist actually

Of course, and that's why it gets a pass and most people love it. Hell I hope it blew some little kids' minds. All I'm saying is that at any point Bucky could have killed himself, Captain America could have helped him go deeper underground. Either one could have been shot and killed. Iron Man could have never gotten guilt-tripped at that elevator and been in a million different places instead of following Cap to Siberia. It feels like a far more fragile plan than "oh I'm relying on their egos to get them to follow my breadcrumbs" would suggest.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
lol http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

THR posted:

Though the studio believed there was enough time to get the movie done, a source with ties to the project says it was a sprint from the start. "[Ayer] wrote the script in like, six weeks, and they just went," he says, arguing that the whole process would have benefited if Ayer, 48, had been given more time to work. But another source closely involved with the film says once it was dated, pushing back the release was not an option: "It's not just that you've told the public the movie is coming, you've made huge deals around the world with huge branding partners, with merchandise partners. It's a really big deal to move a tentpole date."

It was fine though when they moved the release date for BvS, a much smaller movie with lesser-known, obscure characters.

THR posted:

A source with knowledge of events says Warners executives, nervous from the start, grew more anxious after they were blindsided and deeply rattled by the tepid response to BvS. "Kevin was really pissed about damage to the brand," says one executive close to the studio. A key concern for Warners executives was that Suicide Squad didn't deliver on the fun, edgy tone promised in the strong teaser trailer for the film. So while Ayer pursued his original vision, Warners set about working on a different cut, with an assist from Trailer Park, the company that had made the teaser.

Does SS deliver on the Edgy Fun? I've not seen it.

THR posted:

Even on the day of the premiere, one insider fretted about whether Suicide Squad would mirror BvS' huge opening and weak legs. Another veteran says the goal is survival: "The movie's got to do $750 million, $800 million to break even. If they get anywhere close to that, they'll consider it a win."

"Will Suicide Squad get there? Have our beleaguered (W)Bros. brethren bit into a box-office bomb?? Tune in this weekend - same suicide time, same suicide channel!" - already a more exciting prospect than the movie itself.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

mind the walrus posted:

Of course, and that's why it gets a pass and most people love it. Hell I hope it blew some little kids' minds. All I'm saying is that at any point Bucky could have killed himself, Captain America could have helped him go deeper underground. Either one could have been shot and killed. Iron Man could have never gotten guilt-tripped at that elevator and been in a million different places instead of following Cap to Siberia. It feels like a far more fragile plan than "oh I'm relying on their egos to get them to follow my breadcrumbs" would suggest.

His exit strategy was to cap himself, I figured he came up with a plan and if it didn't play out, well he wasn't going to be sticking around anyway.

That was maybe my favorite part, this plan wasn't a huge plot to take over the world. It was to hurt those who he thinks hurt him, and when he was done, he was just gonna exit stage left. Way more compelling villain than most.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, no lie he was a good villain.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so glad even WB admits they went for "an edgy movie" therefore making GBS threads in everyone's mouths who so badly wanted to avoid that label lol

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

His exit strategy was to cap himself, I figured he came up with a plan and if it didn't play out, well he wasn't going to be sticking around anyway.

That was maybe my favorite part, this plan wasn't a huge plot to take over the world. It was to hurt those who he thinks hurt him, and when he was done, he was just gonna exit stage left. Way more compelling villain than most.
Marvel should really announce a Thunderbolts movie right now with Zemo as the leader in his Citizen V persona. Just to gently caress with DC even more

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Marvel should really announce a Thunderbolts movie right now with Zemo as the leader in his Citizen V persona. Just to gently caress with DC even more

kinda what im hoping for

also tobey maguire has to play venom. this is mandatory

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I was playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance for the first time last night and Nick Fury isn't black wtf is up with that?!

naem
May 29, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Superman was invented in the Depression as an example of a middle class ubermensch promoting unity in the face of tyrannical self-interested bastards?

Zach Snyder IS a tyrannical self interested rich bastard who doesn't give a poo poo about us middle class viewers or what we like

He "doesn't owe us anything"

This whole movie is just one big "gently caress you" to America

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Glass Joe posted:

lol http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

It was fine though when they moved the release date for BvS, a much smaller movie with lesser-known, obscure characters.

Does SS deliver on the Edgy Fun? I've not seen it.

"Will Suicide Squad get there? Have our beleaguered (W)Bros. brethren bit into a box-office bomb?? Tune in this weekend - same suicide time, same suicide channel!" - already a more exciting prospect than the movie itself.

There is no way the suicide skwad earns 800 million dollars

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

io9 posted:

The first time around, we heard that David Ayer manipulated the cast to get what he wanted, including forcing the cast to answer questions about fears, painful moments, and embarrassing memories. Since then, we’ve learned some details...

On the one hand, we have Akinnuoye-Agbaje listening to recordings of real life cannibals to get into character during every day’s five-hour make-up job. On the other, we have Leto watching violent crime videos on YouTube to get in the Joker’s headspace. On the third hand (which, if that were something one of the characters in this movie had, I assume they’d just sew a real one onto me), there’s Jai Courtney being shaved, with no warning, by Ayer. Before that, he said there was a Skype call with Ayer where “That night I happened to eat some mushrooms, and I did self-inflict some burns.”

Courtney is a strong contender for the winner of this round of “Holy crap, what happened to you people?” But Kinnaman really wants to at least get the silver. Kinnaman—who, by the way, plays the least hosed up character in this movie—was put through hell by the film’s military advisors. He told Variety: "They’d show me videos of cartel beheadings and torture. The most awful things I’ve ever seen."

It’s strange, right, that Leto sending sex toys to Joel Kinnaman is the least disturbing present we’ve heard about him giving someone?

"He sent me some presents. He sent me a couple of used condoms. A couple of dildos. Some anal beads. Someone asked me, “Did you send him any presents back?” I’m like, “when someone sends you a used condom, I don’t want to play anymore. I don’t like your game, and I don’t want to play.”

Source: http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-brief-history-of-suicide-squad-being-the-worst-place-1784804309

:eyepop: Holy moly - some of this stuff is pretty extreme

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I know, SS really takes filmmaking to a whole new level!

Wait a minute.

SS! Like Adolf Hitler! Whooooooooooah! :eyepop:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
We need you to watch these people getting cut up and beheaded, so you can play the role of Generic Soldier Guy in this comic book movie:psyduck:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I bet the marketing guys listen to Slayer like a bunch of tools

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

WTF its a goddamn comic book movie this isnt high art but even that wouldnt excuse forcing actors to watch execution videos to "get into character"

WW better knock so out of the park that it makes up for the shitshow DC has cobbled together

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Saw ss last night at a screening in ATL, it's boring but serviceable.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Jonny_Rocket posted:

lmao I don't even think that most people that just make art house films pull this kind of poo poo. what a garbage edgelord movie

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tiberius Christ posted:

WW better knock so out of the park that it makes up for the shitshow DC has cobbled together

From the trailer no. No it will not. It looks like the worst parts of the first Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger, but with tits and requisite slo-mo.

Also loving :lol: if that is what Patty Jenkins felt too stifled by Marvel to do for Thor: The Dark World.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

mind the walrus posted:

"Zeus is boring because no one can gently caress with his lightning bolts, except maybe Ares and OH WOW WOULDN'T IT BE COOL IF ARES FOUGHT ZEUS AND THEN ATHENA SHOWS UP AND IT WAS ALL KERBLAM AND POW AS THEY HIT CRONOS but then Zeus dies because he's boring."

"Here's 400 million dollars."

WOULDNT IT BE COOL IF ARES GOT BUTT RAPED WHILE IMPRISONED IN THE UNDERWORLD BY A PAIR OF IDK WHATEVER IS BIG AND BURLY IN THE UNDERWORLD

"omg here's total control over every film we ever do"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

it would be infinitely better and cooler, especially with Daniel Bruhl heading the cast and the end where he actually gets overthrown by the others who legit want to be heroes. Seems like the way to go after all the cosmic poo poo happens and may/may not kill off several people.

That io9 article is beyond hosed and the people behind this movie are retarded beyond comprehension, especially Leto.

• Locked thread