Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Geostomp posted:

More proof that conservatives can't remember more than two weeks ago clearly
This is the same network that has Mark Fuhrman doing commentary on race relations in America.

Yes, THAT Mark Fuhrman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

disjoe posted:

Did I just see a mounted Klansman fly out of a film projection like he's Phantom Ganon

Holy poo poo I hope so because I saw it too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

disjoe posted:

Did I just see a mounted Klansman fly out of a film projection like he's Phantom Ganon

Yes. Because the GOP still doesn't take credit for the Klan and the Southern Strategy despite most major klansmen being associated with the current GOP front runner.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Bill Maher in a New Rules segment called Donald Trump the last 1950s man that will probably ever run for office. A guy who wants to bring America back to the 50s, where white men were head of the household, they got a good paying job that supported the whole family, and everyone ignored all the issues that eventually popped up in the 60s (civil rights, the hippie movement, anti-war protests, etc). When I see Eastwood talk about how much he loves Trump.

Eastwood is a fantastic filmmaker. You can appreciate a film for the creative work that it is, while strongly disagreeing with their views. But still, it's still funny to see a guy who created Gran Torino and Million Dollar Baby, two movies about an old man overcoming his deep-seated prejudices towards a minority to see the light, still wants to vote for the 1950s man.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Kilroy posted:

On that note, I'm not sure you can make movies like Letters From Iwo Jima / Flags Of Our Fathers and Gran Turino and be a racist the way we usually understand it.
He's the almost politically correct redneck. He's blind to culturally ingrained racism and thinks people are whining when they call out the stuff that he thinks is just normal or at least not a big deal.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/03/clint-eastwood-trump-racist-comments

Is it bad I feel like giving Clint Eastwood a pass because his contributions to the world of cinema are incredible?

Christ. "Millenial Bashing" is a major trigger for me, but Clint seems to be the only guy I've ever seen make me genuinely SMILE when he said those comments. Even his stupid "chair" stunt didn't a single thing in swaying how much I love his movies.

I don't know. He's a good director, but his most famous on-screen role is a violent, sexually repressed cop ranting about how civil liberties are destroying America. So I'm not sure we can separate the man from his work.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jurgan posted:

I don't know. He's a good director, but his most famous on-screen role is a violent, sexually repressed cop ranting about how civil liberties are destroying America. So I'm not sure we can separate the man from his work.

And most of his early films are him shooting mexicans.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I feel like right wing media trying to tie the Democrats to the Klan when literally David Duke is running in your party is a touch disingenuous.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I heard the most magical argument yesterday from our local AM blowhard: Government providing assistance to the needy literally robs Christians of their ability to participate in charity and thus they are unable to fulfill God's wishes. Government assistance is a threat to the mechanisms of Christian charity.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RuanGacho posted:

I feel like right wing media trying to tie the Democrats to the Klan when literally David Duke is running in your party is a touch disingenuous.

yeah, the entire point is to generate an empty talking point so that people can reflexively say "i'm not racist, you're racist" when that person says something racist

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

seiferguy posted:

Eastwood is a fantastic filmmaker. You can appreciate a film for the creative work that it is, while strongly disagreeing with their views. But still, it's still funny to see a guy who created Gran Torino and Million Dollar Baby, two movies about an old man overcoming his deep-seated prejudices towards a minority to see the light, still wants to vote for the 1950s man.

Don't forget Letters from Iwo Jima, aka "Hey the enemy were human too you know". To this day I have not seen the chair sketch because I didn't want it to impact my view of the guy. Like I said, racism from Eastwood's day was a hell of a lot more pronounced than it is today so I can kind of understand why he would think that things like everyday indignities adding up would be less of a thing than straight up otherization. It sucks but I understand it.

Also if the alt-right has proven anything it's that our generation has it's fair share of straight up monsters too.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I heard the most magical argument yesterday from our local AM blowhard: Government providing assistance to the needy literally robs Christians of their ability to participate in charity and thus they are unable to fulfill God's wishes. Government assistance is a threat to the mechanisms of Christian charity.

I've maintained that opinion for a while, that certain Christians care more about the act of charity in order to win Jesus points rather than the end result of actually helping anyone which is more of a byproduct of proving you are a Good Person. Government coming in and doing a better job for less money but your contribution is mandatory and hidden in the larger budget so it isn't as personal. It's nice to see someone admit that.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

This is an extremely common theme in many evangelical communities. You'll often see it paired with phrasing like "they want to replace God with the government" and themes about how persecuted they think they are.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

On the other hand, old people grew up in a society of blatant racism, not this dog whistle poo poo. So from their perspective I kind of get it. To them, racism is straight up lynching black people and calling them n-words. Anything short of that is just you being an oversensitive little baby.

Wasn't that literally part of the plot of Gran Torino? The Asian kid's all shocked and horrified by Eastwood and his buddies being racist as hell towards each other in the barber shop, but he eventually grows to understand that mild racism is cool and fun? It's been a while since I've seen it

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

seiferguy posted:

But still, it's still funny to see a guy who created Gran Torino and Million Dollar Baby, two movies about an old man overcoming his deep-seated prejudices towards a minority to see the light, still wants to vote for the 1950s man.

It's been a while since I've seen Gran Torino but uh, isn't that the one where an old-school politically incorrect white man rescues an Asian kid from a lifetime of gang violence and sloth by teaching him the value of hard work and pulling your pants up? Also where the local gang gets away with all kinds of illegal activity but is finally put away when they kill a white guy?

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 4, 2016

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wasn't that literally part of the plot of Gran Torino? The Asian kid's all shocked and horrified by Eastwood and his buddies being racist as hell towards each other in the barber shop, but he eventually grows to understand that mild racism is cool and fun? It's been a while since I've seen it

Maybe, but Eastwood's character is blatantly portrayed as super hosed up and it paints his racism as something he grows out of. So it's a wash imo.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Million Dollar Baby was written by Paul Haggis, a very progressive screenwriter/director. Also the first real celebrity to break up publicly with Scientology, over their treatment of gay people, leading him to be declared a Supressive Person and catch no end of grief.

I bring this up because I literally put down 'Going Clear', a very good book about cult/religion. As bad as Trump is, console yourself with this, goons; it could be worse. It could be L. Ron Hubbard.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Radish posted:

I've maintained that opinion for a while, that certain Christians care more about the act of charity in order to win Jesus points rather than the end result of actually helping anyone which is more of a byproduct of proving you are a Good Person.

It's not just your opinion, Jesus himself talked about this behavior and called it out for the self-aggrandizing bullshit that it is. He called out the big ostentatious public praying in particular, saying that your prayers won't be answered because you already got what you wanted: to be seen praying.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Breitbart is still on the Khan thing. Their two-prong strategy is to concern-troll extra hard about Vile Rat, and to throw every disgusting craven smear at Khazir Khan that they can.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

I've been debating in my head whether or not that's "racism". By that? I mean the scenes when he's interacting with friends, not the hmong people.

Offensive/Blue? Yeah. But it's not coming from a place of malice. The barber and the construction foreman seem to be in on the entire concept, love busting each other's balls, etc. I've seen this sort of thing play out in my neck of the woods in NEOhio. Ethnic whites seem to enjoy busting each other's balls. (Italians, Irish, Serbians, Polish, Germans, etc). I think it's a "rust belt" thing.

The scenes where he's using various slurs against his hmong neighbors? Yes, that's racist. and it comes from a place of anger. That's not up for debate.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 4, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sephyr posted:

Million Dollar Baby was written by Paul Haggis, a very progressive screenwriter/director. Also the first real celebrity to break up publicly with Scientology, over their treatment of gay people, leading him to be declared a Supressive Person and catch no end of grief.

I bring this up because I literally put down 'Going Clear', a very good book about cult/religion. As bad as Trump is, console yourself with this, goons; it could be worse. It could be L. Ron Hubbard.

Honestly, it would be a bad move for L. Ron to have run for any office aside from a local one. It would have exposed Scientology as a blatant money grab (among other, way more shadier things) way before it got entrenched.

Now? It probably would be no different than say Trump running. The diehards will latch on and stay latched, while the rest of the country debates either going down with the ship or watch people arguing over deck chair placement from shore.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Goatman Sacks posted:

Breitbart is still on the Khan thing. Their two-prong strategy is to concern-troll extra hard about Vile Rat, and to throw every disgusting craven smear at Khazir Khan that they can.

Any mentions of Stevens at all? I know his mom spoke out against the GOP.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

Any mentions of Stevens at all? I know his mom spoke out against the GOP.

The other three victims don't exist because they can't find a relative to be their personal macaw.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Hulk Krogan posted:

It's been a while since I've seen Gran Torino but uh, isn't that the one where an old-school politically incorrect white man rescues an Asian kid from a lifetime of gang violence and sloth by teaching him the value of hard work and pulling your pants up? Also where the local gang gets away with all kinds of illegal activity but is finally put away when they kill a white guy?

While thats bit entirely wrong I think that misrepresents a good portion of thr movie. Eastwoods character is an old lonely bitter man. His wife just died, the priest who comforted her is a young idealistic moron, he cant stand his family, and the neighborhood he lived in for the last 20+ years is starting to be populated by Asians who he immeadietly equates to being the same people he killed and was almost killed by in Korea.

He ends up finding happiness by essentially finding a new family with the Hmong that move in next to him (whom once again he hated because of Korea) and being a Father figure to Thao whos only other male role model was his gang member cousin.

During the movie he ends having to confront a lot of his predujices and things that he did in Korea and ends up sacrificing himself so his new family can survive unharmed.

Its a great story about redemption, family, atonement and over coming predujice.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'd hesitant to call Gran Turino a good movie. It's definitely not bad, but some parts of the movie come off as the source material for a Tim & Eric or Loiter Squad sketch.

NEOhio? Is that like Neo Tokyo?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNA_IDX0qnM

This video is amazing to me. Its incredible how difficult it is for Fox to act like they are the sole voice of truth in a world of bias while simultaneously reaffirming everything the "mainstream" media says because it is patently true.

Like, we've gotten to the point now they are claiming the media was complicit in electing Trump to help the Democrats

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Goatman Sacks posted:

The other three victims don't exist because they can't find a relative to be their personal macaw.

Or they actively say "please do not use my dead family member in your attacks."

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

OxySnake posted:

While thats bit entirely wrong I think that misrepresents a good portion of thr movie. Eastwoods character is an old lonely bitter man. His wife just died, the priest who comforted her is a young idealistic moron, he cant stand his family, and the neighborhood he lived in for the last 20+ years is starting to be populated by Asians who he immeadietly equates to being the same people he killed and was almost killed by in Korea.

He ends up finding happiness by essentially finding a new family with the Hmong that move in next to him (whom once again he hated because of Korea) and being a Father figure to Thao whos only other male role model was his gang member cousin.

During the movie he ends having to confront a lot of his predujices and things that he did in Korea and ends up sacrificing himself so his new family can survive unharmed.

Its a great story about redemption, family, atonement and over coming predujice.

Yeah I'm being semi-flippant. Obviously the intent of the movie was a heartwarming "old bitter dude learns to be more accepting and troubled youth learns responsibility and traditional manhood" type thing.

But it's still kind of funny that the guy pining for a past time where people didn't see racism everywhere made a movie about people overcoming their differences that still kind of relies on the white savior trope.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNA_IDX0qnM

This video is amazing to me. Its incredible how difficult it is for Fox to act like they are the sole voice of truth in a world of bias while simultaneously reaffirming everything the "mainstream" media says because it is patently true.

Like, we've gotten to the point now they are claiming the media was complicit in electing Trump to help the Democrats

Christ the responses from that one guy are so rote they might as well just create a bot to do this for them and save a ton of money on contributors. Try to have a legitimate discussion on how Trump is failing as your party's candidate and all you get is "the mainstream media is biased and out to destroy Trump!" and "Hillary is so much worse!"

:sad:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Fundie God is a pussy that can't enter schools by pieces of paper/sentences. His worshipers are also pussies that can't be real Christians because reasons.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hulk Krogan posted:

disjoe posted:

Maybe, but Eastwood's character is blatantly portrayed as super hosed up and it paints his racism as something he grows out of. So it's a wash imo.

It goes a bit both ways. He's an angry old man that's a Korean war vet that's been isolated by his family because of his prejudices and just being a general rear end in a top hat. He has to deal with them head-on when a Hmong family moves in, and they're nice to him to the point where he realizes that they're not what he originally thought them out to be.

Yeah, there is a bit of "white guy saves Asian group" trope going on (similar to The Last Samurai, and soon to be that new Matt Damon movie), but I thought the message of "old man grows out of his racism" was a lot stronger than "old man teaches Asian kid to bootstrap".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Gran Torino was the moment I got really awoken to sexual violence against women as a trope.

I was so upset when the girl was gangraped and it was used as a motivation for the male characters. Like, this confident young woman just had her soul destroyed and its a side note to the relationship of the two men.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mahoning posted:

On the other hand, old people grew up in a society of blatant racism, not this dog whistle poo poo. So from their perspective I kind of get it. To them, racism is straight up lynching black people and calling them n-words. Anything short of that is just you being an oversensitive little baby.

I mean, they're wrong, but I kind of get it.

Even a lot of the baby boomer liberals I know are completely incapable of understanding that stuff like "imitating a stereotypical 'black' voice" (or any sort of joke based on offensive racial stereotypes) is super racist.

If I had to point to a key point of contention, it would be that older people (and of course many younger people as well) seem to believe that racism requires that you believe literally everyone of a race is inherently inferior in some way. In other words, if you think some black people are good and "articulate", you can't be racist.

RuanGacho posted:

In the comments section for that dumb Dinesh movie about Hillary, there were a bunch of people saying that the idea of voters switching from Democrat to Republican on issues like race and social conservatism is a myth. I don't understand how someone can deny that, when you can literally look up the electoral college result maps for every presidential election and see most Southern states change from blue to red.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 4, 2016

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I just remember every single conservative I know raving about Gran Torino and I'm pretty sure it was mostly because they saw the movie as "badass old white veteran stands up to disrespectful ethnic thugs"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

seiferguy posted:

It goes a bit both ways. He's an angry old man that's a Korean war vet that's been isolated by his family because of his prejudices and just being a general rear end in a top hat. He has to deal with them head-on when a Hmong family moves in, and they're nice to him to the point where he realizes that they're not what he originally thought them out to be.

Yeah, there is a bit of "white guy saves Asian group" trope going on (similar to The Last Samurai, and soon to be that new Matt Damon movie), but I thought the message of "old man grows out of his racism" was a lot stronger than "old man teaches Asian kid to bootstrap".

The Last Samurai isn't really about a white guy saving an Asian group either, though. Everybody gets shot the gently caress up anyway. It's about a participant in genocide radicalizing into an anti-imperialist when placed into the context of his victims. If anybody is being saved, it's Tom Cruise's character.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Of course they say that. This is the perfect argument for the lazy and holier-than-thou: I could do so much good, but that mean old other person is doing it better and stifling me.

It's ideal for protecting your pride while ensuring that you never have to do anything meaningful.

K-EJ
Nov 19, 2006

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The funny thing about this scenario is that it has already been resolved by Jesus himself in the New Testament:

Matthew 22:13-22 posted:

Later, they sent some of the Pharisees and Herodians to catch Jesus in His words.“Teacher,” they said, “we know that You are honest and are swayed by no one. Indeed, You are impartial and teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Now then, is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar or not? Should we pay them or not?”

But Jesus saw through their hypocrisy and said, “Why are you testing Me? Bring Me a denarius to inspect.” So they brought it, and He asked them, “Whose likeness is this? And whose inscription?”

“Caesar’s,” they answered.

Then Jesus told them, “Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.”

And they marveled at Him.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Yeah, I have heard Christians literally argue that the value of charity is not in helping the poor, but in giving you spiritual fulfillment by choosing to do good things.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, I have heard Christians literally argue that the value of charity is not in helping the poor, but in giving you spiritual fulfillment by choosing to do good things.

That literally makes me nauseous that people think of it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Svanja posted:

That literally makes me nauseous that people think of it that way.

Friend, have you looked into the prosperity gospel?

Don't. You'd bury yourself in vomit.