Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Bought a Moto G (3rd gen) after the price went down and it's sloooow. Super, super laggy. Way worse than my original Nexus 5 was before I broke it. Nigh unusable, like 2+ seconds in between tapping on something and getting a response most of the time.

I tried wiping the cache partition like the internet told me to, but it didn't seem to anything. Or maybe that lessened it a bit? But not by much. What else can I try? Just go full on factory reset?

Could it have anything to do with using a cheapie off-brand SD card that I got on Amazon? I'm thinking no, because this is system-wide including Settings and general phone UI, not just within specific apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

FogHelmut posted:

My 5x battery is already turning to crap after less than a year. It's like a used Galaxy Nexus.

Man, I sympathize. The GNex was my very first smartphone, and let me tell you, the battery was dogshit even fresh out of the box.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
On the plus size, replacing the battery looks easy (but not trivial) since the phone isn't designed by assholes with a glue fetish. Still, less than 4-5 years of usable battery is not reasonable quality.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I don't know if there is a single phone out there that has "usable" battery life after 4 years. Even iPhones are poo poo after a year or two.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lblitzer posted:

I don't know if there is a single phone out there that has "usable" battery life after 4 years. Even iPhones are poo poo after a year or two.

Even iPhones? The battery life of those things is one of the biggest complaints.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

feedmyleg posted:

Bought a Moto G (3rd gen) after the price went down and it's sloooow. Super, super laggy. Way worse than my original Nexus 5 was before I broke it. Nigh unusable, like 2+ seconds in between tapping on something and getting a response most of the time.

I tried wiping the cache partition like the internet told me to, but it didn't seem to anything. Or maybe that lessened it a bit? But not by much. What else can I try? Just go full on factory reset?

Could it have anything to do with using a cheapie off-brand SD card that I got on Amazon? I'm thinking no, because this is system-wide including Settings and general phone UI, not just within specific apps.

Are you using the SD card as system storage? If so, don't. If you're using it just as media storage, remove it and see how performance is.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Even iPhones? The battery life of those things is one of the biggest complaints.

I guess it's just my own anecdote but the several iPhones I've had have all had excellent battery life given the capacity and usage. The SE and 6+ are pretty drat good. The only android phones I've been satisfied with battery life were the Note 3 and Xperia Z3 Compact and I've had a hotsauce-level of phones.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Coming from an iPhone 5S, my experience is that its battery life was much more consistent than my Nexus 5X. The 5X battery can last a long time, unless you play videos, then it chews through it pretty quickly. On the other hand, it seems to do better with GPS than Apple devices.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I've noticed the battery in my at-launch purchased N5 is really going downhill the last couple of months. That, coupled with the ambient light sensor seemingly no longer working and all audio cutting out till a reboot every few hours.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I sure love my 6P forgetting my sRGB color setting every time I get an update.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

News: Unlocked Moto X 2014 just got a security update. To May, but apparently someone there gives a poo poo? What?

Views: :psyduck:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

butt dickus posted:

I sure love my 6P forgetting my sRGB color setting every time I get an update.
It's every time you reboot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

It's every time you reboot.

Which means he's getting great uptime!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Yay! Seems like the August update fixed the Nexus 5 sound bug, introduced in the July update.
At least I could hear my alarm clock this morning.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Lblitzer posted:

This is just what those dirty no good phone manufacturers want you to think is normal. Man.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FWIW, Apple considers a 20% battery capacity loss over two years to be normal, and they're not using any exotic battery tech or anything. Another two years and you're at either 64% or 60% (not sure if capacity loss is linear or exponential), neither of which I would really call "usable." And that's assuming you'd be charging the same amount which is obviously untrue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This is one of the reasons why having a larger battery in a phone is desirable.

One large component to aging is full cycles. Larger battery means it's going to see fewer recharge cycles over the same period so it will degrade at a slower rate.

Another thing a larger battery gives you is more buffer room so that as capacity goes down, the phone remains usable longer.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
On a different note: the clusterfuck that is USB-C continues

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I love that Google's solution is "Never use any other charger, other cable, or combination of chargers and cables to charge your phone other than what came in the box".

So it's the future "standard" where every device's charger and cables are completely proprietary--you know, the exact opposite of a standard.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Didn't bother to check and see if this is posted elsewhere in the thread but tldr something about the July update for the N6 causes it to lose data connectivity any time GPS activates. It's been plaguing me for days.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/4vzncc/nexus_6_loses_all_data_connectivity_on_tmobile/
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/WOMBzoCaSMM

It's not actually a TMobile problem, it's a Nexus 6 problem and happening across a bunch of carriers that support the Nexus 6 (according to a Google Products forum post)

Edit: Reddit users on N previews are not reporting the issue. So basically I have to unlock my phone and run beta software to have a functioning device.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 4, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So the safest USB-C charger may be a USB-A charger with a good A to C cable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I love that Google's solution is "Never use any other charger, other cable, or combination of chargers and cables to charge your phone other than what came in the box".

So it's the future "standard" where every device's charger and cables are completely proprietary--you know, the exact opposite of a standard.

Also don't use your Google charger and cable on other devices.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

So the safest USB-C charger may be a USB-A charger with a good A to C cable.

Good thing they removed Quick Charge in favor of the slower USB-C "fast charging" so you won't have to inconvenience yourself by plugging in and removing a cable in quick succession. It's nice to have an hour rest in there. You can use the time to consider how much worse off we'd all be if they had decided to stick with proven, ubiquitous, working technology instead.

Endless Mike posted:

Also don't use your Google charger and cable on other devices.

If other cables and chargers destroying your Google device isn't Google's problem, Google's charger and cable destroying your not-Google devices certainly doesn't concern them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Didn't bother to check and see if this is posted elsewhere in the thread but tldr something about the July update for the N6 causes it to lose data connectivity any time GPS activates. It's been plaguing me for days.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/4vzncc/nexus_6_loses_all_data_connectivity_on_tmobile/

It's not actually a TMobile problem, it's a Nexus 6 problem and happening across a bunch of carriers that support the Nexus 6 (according to a Google Products forum post)

Edit: Reddit users on N previews are not reporting the issue. So basically I have to unlock my phone and run beta software to have a functioning device.

Goddamn so THAT'S why...

I was actually about to ask if anyone had any ideas about this. I guess we'll see if the August update fixes it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

docbeard posted:

Goddamn so THAT'S why...

I was actually about to ask if anyone had any ideas about this. I guess we'll see if the August update fixes it.

Yeah, sorry man. :/

Trying to play PoGo the last few days has made me want to throw my phone in the lake.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

docbeard posted:

Goddamn so THAT'S why...

What carrier are you on?

I'm on Verizon and need to see if it happens but I do now have this camera issue after the update yesterday.
https://youtu.be/z-wLLP6Uu1g

Restarts didn't fix the issue. Video actually skips while recording as well not just when I replay the video

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You know you don't have to run beta software to fix the problem, you just have to flash the June security update over top. You won't even lose your data if you're unlocked already.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

You know you don't have to run beta software to fix the problem, you just have to flash the June security update over top. You won't even lose your data if you're unlocked already.

Yeah this is my first Android phone I've just left alone. It's box stock.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah this is my first Android phone I've just left alone. It's box stock.

Having had a Nexus from every generation except the current one, I can't think of any except the Nexus One that never had a bad update from Google.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't even know if I'm going to unlock the bootloader on my next Nexus device since they delay boot and throw up an ugly warning now when you do.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DangerZoneDelux posted:

What carrier are you on?

I'm on Verizon and need to see if it happens but I do now have this camera issue after the update yesterday.
https://youtu.be/z-wLLP6Uu1g

Restarts didn't fix the issue. Video actually skips while recording as well not just when I replay the video

T-Mobile. It doesn't seem to be exclusive to them (but doesn't appear to be affecting every carrier either, from the 30 seconds of research I've done). Also seems to be exclusive to the Nexus 6 (not the 6p). A reboot seems to clear it up for me, but I don't have anything using GPS all that often (I think just my weather app) so it's not killing my data every 30 seconds or anything, just once or twice a day.

I saw some references in the Google Product forums thread that disabling Google Connectivity Services seems to clear things up. No idea if there's any real connection there, though. Might be worth a try, unless it hilariously breaks something else.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I don't even know if I'm going to unlock the bootloader on my next Nexus device since they delay boot and throw up an ugly warning now when you do.

How often are you rebooting your phones that this would matter in the slightest?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

How often are you rebooting your phones that this would matter in the slightest?

Not only that, it's just one extra button press. I mean, I can see if you don't want to janitor your phone then fine, it doesn't affect you at all. But when Google fucks up, and they seem to do it frequently enough that it could mean a mean a month with a hosed up device, I'd rather hit the power button twice when I reboot than live with my volume not working or my data not working or my wifi breaking (all things that Google has done with updates on modern devices in the last three years) and needing to wipe my device to fix it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Please don't tell me that people are calling it this unironically

god I hate millennials

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Devices sometimes reboot on their own (Nexus devices, in my experience have been more prone to this especially around new versions) and I would rather not have a device stuck on a boot menu if I don't notice it right away.

Also, for the most part, there's very little reason for it anymore. Google provides the OTAs for flashing now, so most of the situation's where I would want to flash the full image are situations where I would want to wipe anyways.

Keep in mind that moving forward, updates are going to be background affairs that happen automagically. So rolling back to last months patch won't be an option anymore. Your phone will silently download and install the current month as soon as it gets a chance.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 4, 2016

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Sir Unimaginative posted:

News: Unlocked Moto X 2014 just got a security update. To May, but apparently someone there gives a poo poo? What?

Wow, really? Link please!

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Yesterday I rebooted my 5X after the August security update. I washed the dishes and cleaned my bathroom before "Android is upgrading..." completed :v:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

god I hate millennials

Shorthand on mobile devices? Why I loving never.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

CLAM DOWN posted:

god I hate millennials

Calm down, CLAM DOWN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mogomra posted: