Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cheesus posted:

Comcast/Xfinity just upped me into some level where I'm not longer ok paying. And of all timing coincidences, my wife the TV junkie (*mostly Netflix and Amazon Prime) agrees that most of the offerings are crap and has encouraged us to just drop it.

For me, my primary concerns are local news, and PBS. Secondarily, a smattering of Science channel "space shows" and Comedy Central and a random movie here and there that I'd either go to Netflix or Amazon for or buy a Blu-ray.

My wife's primary concerns would be LogoTV. Secondarily, she'll watch the bullshit "picker" shows. But she mostly watches Netflix and Amazon Prime.

We have an aging Roku 2 that we use for Netflix and Amazon.

Of the two of us, I'd say she's totally prepared for a total "on-demand" like experience. I'm mostly used to it but my biggest barrier is probably laziness. For the shittiness that is Xfinity, I find it an advantage that if I spend 5 minutes and can't find what I want to watch, I'll turn it off instead of switching to Roku.

Based on that, it sounds like we could go with SlingTV and an HD antenna?

Sound reasonable?

Any recommendations for HD antennas?

Dumbass Bonus Question: Any good Roku (or other platform) channels for the BBC in the US? I'm specifically interested in stuff like both Look Around You series.

The roku PBS app is very good I think, and there are a couple of roku apps that have local news lives treams. Nowhere tv is one of them. Might get lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah the roku pbs app has most of the recent content available. Definitely all of their main programs (Nature, This Old House, NOVA, etc).

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Thank you gents!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Anyone ever heard of an app that can listen to IR remote commands and take action such as launching another app?

I'm thinking on ways to improve the usability of my Shield TV. I can program pretty much any button I want on my Harmony remote, it would be interesting if I could get that to launch an app, like HBO Go. Don't know if such a thing exists but thought I'd ask.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Is the Roku 2 still worthwhile? Just wondering since Sling is offering a free one when you get 3 months of service prepaid. I was underwhelmed with Sling when I used the app on my PC...

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Q_res posted:

Is the Roku 2 still worthwhile? Just wondering since Sling is offering a free one when you get 3 months of service prepaid. I was underwhelmed with Sling when I used the app on my PC...

I still use one. The one drawback for me is that it doesn't do 4K.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Q_res posted:

I am much happier with the Fire TV stick than Roku, the interface is just tons better and it supports Playstation Vue which is a much, much better deal than Sling TV. $10 more a month gets you 28 days of unlimited cloud DVR, more channels and logins to the websites/mobile apps of almost all of the channels, Sling really needs to step up it's game.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Hopefully this is the right place to ask about PlayStation Vue. I'm in my free trial period, and there appears to be almost no on demand? Am I correct in that?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Three Olives posted:

I am much happier with the Fire TV stick than Roku, the interface is just tons better and it supports Playstation Vue which is a much, much better deal than Sling TV. $10 more a month gets you 28 days of unlimited cloud DVR, more channels and logins to the websites/mobile apps of almost all of the channels, Sling really needs to step up it's game.

Roku supports Vue, and it is better then Sling. Not worth the money until college football season starts in my opinion.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So, I finally did it and cancelled cable. I have a Fire TV stick w/Kodi on my main tv and a roku in the bedroom. Should have listened to all of you sooner

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Hopefully this is the right place to ask about PlayStation Vue. I'm in my free trial period, and there appears to be almost no on demand? Am I correct in that?

Yes, but you can use your Vue sign-on for a lot of the TV Anywhere apps. Check this spreadsheet for a list.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/08/03/time-warner-q2-income-dips-tv-licensing-home-movie-sales-fall/87993736/

quote:

Time Warner, the media giant that owns HBO, CNN and Warner Bros., said Wednesday it bought a 10% stake in Hulu to broaden its video streaming distribution, following a dip in second quarter net income stemming from declining television licensing revenue and home video sales.

Its partnership with Hulu, a video company that competes with Netflix, calls for Time Warner's "full suite of networks to be carried on Hulu’s live-streaming service" that will be launched next year, Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes said in a statement.

Time Warner networks that will be streamed live on Hulu will include TNT, TBS, CNN, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, truTV, Boomerang and Turner Classic Movies. The deal doesn't include HBO's programming, which is streamed on HBO Now, a service for customers who seek the popular premium channel without subscribing to cable.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

It's completely loving stupid, but the only show I miss from having cable is Impractical Jokers on truTV.

So :holy:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Isn't all that already on Sling anyway?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So is there any way I can get on trouble for having Kodi on the Amazon Fire? The wife is freaking out about it.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Pillowpants posted:

So is there any way I can get on trouble for having Kodi on the Amazon Fire? The wife is freaking out about it.

There is nothing wrong with Kodi itself. How you get the content for Kodi could potentially have some implications.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Pillowpants posted:

Use private trackers if you're torrenting. Streaming plugins don't seem to have any legal downside for users so far.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

Use private trackers if you're torrenting. Streaming plugins don't seem to have any legal downside for users so far.

If anything has the capability to get someone in trouble (at least in the US) I'd expect streaming plugins to be the thing to do it. Seems pretty remote at the moment but in this copyright culture that could change, quick.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The riaa lawsuits I recall hearing about involved files that were stored, which establishes intent by the user to steal the content.

This isn't anything I'm an expert on mind you...but a streaming online channel is kind of like a pirate tv or radio broadcaster. Those did exist, and the broadcaster was fined/sued, not the persons viewing or listening to the station. At least, that would be my argument...

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I don't know about y'all but the Roku remotes for the Roku stick 2016 are poo poo. When getting 2 sticks to cut my cable i had to return two devices to get remotes that didn't suck. Now one of the good ones is going to poo poo. It's non-responsive for a bit and then will work again while my phone app remote works fine so I know it's not the stick itself.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

angryrobots posted:

The riaa lawsuits I recall hearing about involved files that were stored, which establishes intent by the user to steal the content.

This isn't anything I'm an expert on mind you...but a streaming online channel is kind of like a pirate tv or radio broadcaster. Those did exist, and the broadcaster was fined/sued, not the persons viewing or listening to the station. At least, that would be my argument...

RIAA wouldn't sue anyone over filmed entertainment, as they are concerned with the music industry. You are thinking of the MPAA, who don't (normally) sue end users directly, but have a big hand in enforcement of their member rights.

More likely these days it's individual companies going after end users for specific films, like the Hurt Locker studio did, or more recently the dude who went after the Popcorn Time users/streamers in Oregon.

Whether you "store" or "stream" or "whatever" their copyrighted content or not really doesn't matter, nor whether you think doing so shouldn't be punishable under civil or criminal law. It is what it is and you take your chances. Again, the chances are pretty drat low, but not nonexistent.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Anyone splitting the cost of a SlingTV account with a few other people? Wondering if it works or if they have strict device limits or other sharing restrictions. Would be nice to split the $95/mo top tier one with 3-5 others!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

pzy posted:

Anyone splitting the cost of a SlingTV account with a few other people? Wondering if it works or if they have strict device limits or other sharing restrictions. Would be nice to split the $95/mo top tier one with 3-5 others!

Has it changed to be shareable like Netflix is? I had it when it launched and it wouldn't even let you run the application on multiple PCs on the same network.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
We are OTA broadcast TV folk, and we are overcome by how much the NBC Olympic coverage sucks. I'm leaving town Tuesday and want to set my wife up beforehand. I do not currently VPN, but it's on the table now.

What's the best way to get Olympic coverage? Our only TV device right now is Chromecast, and I am looking for something Chromecast friendly.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

NBC always does a terrible job with the Olympics.

I signed up for Sling tv blue package for the free trial. It's got a few NBC owned stations airing a variety of Olympics stuff.

Bravo, NBC sports, msnbc ...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
... USA is the other one. And maybe their Golf channel.

pzy posted:

Don't know in practice, but their official word is Orange = 1 stream, Blue = 3 concurrent streams.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If you have the sling free trial, that should count towards accessing the NBC Sports/Olympics app. It lets you watch any live event.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Blackchamber posted:

Has it changed to be shareable like Netflix is? I had it when it launched and it wouldn't even let you run the application on multiple PCs on the same network.

They do offer a new "shared" tier called Sling Blue, it's $10 more a month. Due to licensing issues some channels available on the single-view tier (now called Sling Orange) aren't on blue and vice versa. It's annoying.

More annoying for what you want to do is Sling Blue allows for up to 3 devices to watch at once...in the same house. I believe they do some sort of blocking if all three devices aren't on the same local network. I don't use it so I can't attest to if this is the case or how well it works but that is what they state in the service terms.

Frankly, Playstation Vue is better, if more expensive, if you have a device that supports the client. You can't share the login with it either though.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Tiny Lowtax posted:

It seems to me that content providers aren't allowing as much as they used to. In Sling TV there are shows i used to be able to go and watch full episodes and only get clips for now. The DVR feature on the PS Vue was great when I tested the service out, but you are still blocked from certain channels if I remember correctly.

I even noticed on the comedy central app I can't watch shows right away like I used to after the last major update unless you log in with your provider. Sling added comedy central but I didn't see any way to log in with it, so they are basically losing my ad views.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
The broadcast and film industries are collectively scared shitless of an iTunes scenario where all their stuff is put in behind one gateway controlled by one company. None of them want anything to do with the business model music (involuntarily) evolved in to, which has more or less become a race to the bottom for pennies. Not unless it involves a post-brand, post-initial revenue stream, ala selling past/delayed seasons of shows on iTunes.

Which is why you get situations like these, where at best channels like Comedy Central view SlingTV or Vue as another path to advertise their content but to really get the full experience you have to go through their portal. Not saying it doesn't suck but I'm afraid we're in for a few more years of flailing about with stunts like these, Hulu, etc. until something changes.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
We have not been a cable household for years.

We have a lot of movies (and old TV series) on a hard drive. And we watch a fair amount of Netflix. I'd be interested in other services, but don't have any specifics in mind.

We had a WDTV for years that was kinda clunky and slow, but easy to use. It died.

We've been on a Chromecast (and Plex) since then, and it works pretty well, but the whole "fish out your phone, turn it on, password, fire up an app, get to the right place... hit pause" thing is not going over well.

I'm looking into Raspberry Pi for the next device, but it won't do Netflix, and having two systems (one for Netflix, one for Plex) will further confuse my luddite wife.

I'm looking for something that a) uses a traditional-ish remote control, b) plays Netflix c) plays local or network video files, d) is easy enough for my 6 year old and my luddite wife to operate.

Suggestions?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Roku.

Amazon Fire TV and the Apple TV boxes (even the 'old' 3rd gen) will also work.

E: to clarify, all three have Plex apps and Netflix apps.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 9, 2016

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

photomikey posted:

We have a lot of movies (and old TV series) on a hard drive. And we watch a fair amount of Netflix. I'd be interested in other services, but don't have any specifics in mind.

We had a WDTV for years that was kinda clunky and slow, but easy to use. It died.

We've been on a Chromecast (and Plex) since then, and it works pretty well, but the whole "fish out your phone, turn it on, password, fire up an app, get to the right place... hit pause" thing is not going over well.

I'm looking into Raspberry Pi for the next device, but it won't do Netflix, and having two systems (one for Netflix, one for Plex) will further confuse my luddite wife.

I'm looking for something that a) uses a traditional-ish remote control, b) plays Netflix c) plays local or network video files, d) is easy enough for my 6 year old and my luddite wife to operate.

Suggestions?

Honestly, Roku.

I hear you about the Chromecast. I love mine, but it's not for everyone. Especially if you have an iPhone. Having the controls right on the lockscreen or notification bar if you have an Android device is great. Sucks that you have to go fishing around your apps whenever you just wanna pause a show real quick if you have an iOS device.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Honestly, Roku.

I hear you about the Chromecast. I love mine, but it's not for everyone. Especially if you have an iPhone. Having the controls right on the lockscreen or notification bar if you have an Android device is great. Sucks that you have to go fishing around your apps whenever you just wanna pause a show real quick if you have an iOS device.

Third'ing Roku if you already have a Plex server handling your local media. Their Roku client is really good. Roku has clients for everything else and is stupid-easy to use. It's not the prettiest interface in the world but it gets the job done.

If you want something with an interface and client support that doesn't look like it came out of an all day design meeting in 2003 then the Shield TV is really good. It is more expensive, and doesn't support Amazon's prime Video service (which you may not care about) but it does everything else, better than the Roku. And the clients look a whole lot better on it too, particularly Plex and Netflix.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

photomikey posted:

Suggestions?

For more control over C and the ability to install Kodi easily, I'd recommend the nVidia Shield. The only thing it doesn't have is Amazon Prime. For ease of use, yeah, the Roku is the best, but I don't run Plex on mine.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ixian posted:

Which is why you get situations like these, where at best channels like Comedy Central view SlingTV or Vue as another path to advertise their content but to really get the full experience you have to go through their portal. Not saying it doesn't suck but I'm afraid we're in for a few more years of flailing about with stunts like these, Hulu, etc. until something changes.
What's stopping the broadcasters from selling online access to channels directly without the sling/vue/Hulu/cable login middleman? Will we get there eventually? Or will cable/ satellite drop prices to stay competitive? Personally I don't even care about live TV, if I could (legitimately, not illegally) watch any show like a day or even a week late that would be fine with me.

The comparison to the music industry is fitting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

angryrobots posted:

What's stopping the broadcasters from selling online access to channels directly without the sling/vue/Hulu/cable login middleman?

They already are in a lot of cases.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

For example CBS All Access. IIRC, the only legit place you'll be able to watch the new Star Trek show in 2017.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Thermopyle posted:

For example CBS All Access. IIRC, the only legit place you'll be able to watch the new Star Trek show in 2017.

Can't you DVR it on vue/sling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

bull3964 posted:

Who besides CBS and HBO? I can't think of any.