Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's sort of like the Battle of Teutoberg Forest - the Roman Empire was already on a downward slope for a while, but we like to say "this is where the tide turned" because it's an easy shorthand. If it didn't happen, (pop) historians would have just pointed to something else as being the definitive decisive battle.

What? The Battle of the Teutoberg Forest happened when the empire was barely 30 years old. It would be another 150 years until it reached its pinnacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Harrow posted:

So here's a fun game to play:

Will it be better for Trump's polls if he just chickens out of the debates, or if he goes on stage and does basically what he's been doing all week? Like, both are probably bad, but which is worse?

Pulling out of that one debate in the primary was one of the few things that hurt him.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Harrow posted:

Will it be better for Trump's polls if he just chickens out of the debates, or if he goes on stage and does basically what he's been doing all week? Like, both are probably bad, but which is worse?

They are rigged by the liberal media conspiracy you see.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Night10194 posted:

Hillary Clinton is the political equivalent of antibiotic resistant strains. They overused the slander and attack for everything she's ever done, and it's inoculated her against them. Now the Republican Party gets to poo poo itself to death, helpless to stop it.

This is the worst analogy I will make this month.
No, this is a good analogy. Much like Ted Cruz doesn't understand the point of Green Eggs and Ham, the Republican noise machine thinks that the premise behind The Boy Who Cried Wolf is that if you keep screaming it eventually someone will believe you.

Some news org should hire that kid, he asks better questions than they do.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Pulling out of that one debate in the primary was one of the few things that hurt him.

What if he knew he was going to lose Iowa anyway so he pulled out for an excuse?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

People really overestimate how much the debates impact anything. They really don't change anyone's minds or turn base turnout. I could see Trump calling her a bitch or something like that in the debates to try to drive his turnout up though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Anyone noticed he hasn't tweeted anything overtly negative for the past 24 hours?

No replies to Khan, no defense of his wife's immigration status (her role seems to have been eliminated by campaign staff once the plagarized speech hit home), no screeds against Hillary?

He's being muzzled somehow, although I can't imagine it lasting very long or how he agreed to shut up.

Any vets still pulling for him are probably doing so with all the gusto of chugalugging a bottle of Listerine.

My feeling is that he will likely shrug off the debates, get someone to do it in his place (PENCE!!! GET OVER HERE! ATTACK! ATTABOY!) or do one, melt down in the middle, then claim Hillary spiked his water.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Re: Trump's concession speech - I don't think that Trump is physically capable of admitting that he is, in fact, a loser.

This is why I think he's absolutely going to triple down on the "rigged election" bit, and he's going to do real, actual damage by further eroding trust in democracy on his way down.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/angiejackson23/status/761227710110760961

https://twitter.com/angiejackson23/status/761227825319903233

Twitter account is a Post & Courier reporter.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Actually he's been whining that they are on the same night as football games and people are wondering if he's already laying the groundwork for pulling out of them.

I like that the NFL called him out as lying about getting a letter from them, and then the Debate Comm essentially told him to gently caress off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

People really overestimate how much the debates impact anything. They really don't change anyone's minds or turn base turnout. I could see Trump calling her a bitch or something like that in the debates to try to drive his turnout up though.

Tell it to Rick Perry.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Binary Badger posted:

Anyone noticed he hasn't tweeted anything overtly negative for the past 24 hours?

No replies to Khan, no defense of his wife's immigration status (her role seems to have been eliminated by campaign staff once the plagarized speech hit home), no screeds against Hillary?

He's being muzzled somehow, although I can't imagine it lasting very long or how he agreed to shut up.

Any vets still pulling for him are probably doing so with all the gusto of chugalugging a bottle of Listerine.

They always manage to shut him up for a day or two at a time eventually. But you can't stop up an rear end in a top hat forever and it just makes the eventual explosion even worse.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

Tell it to Rick Perry.

His polls were dropping before that debate anyway though. He wasn't going to beat Romeny.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Binary Badger posted:

Calm before the storm - his tirade against the Khans didn't come immediately after the DNC, either.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Calm before the storm - his tirade against the Khans didn't come immediately after the DNC, either.

So far the more they leash him the worse it is when he breaks off but I'm sure this time will be fine.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's sort of like the Battle of Teutoberg Forest - the Roman Empire was already on a downward slope for a while, but we like to say "this is where the tide turned" because it's an easy shorthand. If it didn't happen, (pop) historians would have just pointed to something else as being the definitive decisive battle.

Are you thinking about a different battle because Teutoberg Forest was in the middle of the Pax Romana period. It checked the Roman expansion into Germany but that was about it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Next Trump event is at 3:00pm Eastern in Maine, so we'll see what's up then.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

emdash posted:

Next Trump event is at 3:00pm Eastern in Maine, so we'll see what's up then.

lol why the gently caress is he campaigning in Maine

Here's a question, lets say Hillary wins with 350+ EVs, how much of a mandate does she get to claim, and how much are Republicans willing to poo poo talk their own party and candidate to combat any mandate narrative a Clinton admin tries to craft?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

zoux posted:

Split EVs so one might be in play?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

zoux posted:

I don't get it either. But Portland, ME it is

CO GOP rep Mike Coffman has started running an explicitly anti-Trump ad: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/republican-releases-ad-promising-to-stand-up-to-trump-226642

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS

Doctor Butts posted:

Is it dumb to call Trump's unfiltered stream of consciousness speeches Trump Trots? I was thinking along the lines of all the crazy stuff he says reminds me of Gish Gallops.

I had this exact same thought, though I'm calling this sort of behavior a Trump Dump for now.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Trump pretty much has to do the debates if he's still down a considerable amount to do the political equivalent of a hail mary. If not, Clinton can just coast into the general without saying anything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-VfFi6Z14Q

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

zoux posted:

Here's a question, lets say Hillary wins with 350+ EVs, how much of a mandate does she get to claim, and how much are Republicans willing to poo poo talk their own party and candidate to combat any mandate narrative a Clinton admin tries to craft?

Is this a rhetorical question? Republicans in Congress will pretend Trump never happened and will obstruct as hard as they have during Obama (because obstructing more is impossible). There is no mandate to do anything because the House will be controlled by the GOP and thus the people's will is that nothing will get done.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

I was looking back at that 2013 PPP poll ranking Congress against gonorrhea. I'd forgotten that Trump was on the list of horribly unpopular things.

quote:

Q20 What do you have a higher opinion of: Congress or Donald Trump?
Congress 42%
Donald Trump 44%
Not sure 14%

To put that in perspective:

quote:

Q1 Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Congress?
Favorable 9%
Unfavorable 85%
Not sure 6%

Q6 What do you have a higher opinion of: Congress or lice?
Congress 19%
Lice 67%
Not sure 15%

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Suffolk University 2-way in Florida: Clinton +6
4-way: Clinton +4

http://www.suffolk.edu/academics/10740.php

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zoux posted:

The media narrative after the election will be "Biggest win ever, landslide win, etc" and that will convince America that she has a huge mandate.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grBAL5vI7DE

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Antti posted:

Is this a rhetorical question? Republicans in Congress will pretend Trump never happened and will obstruct as hard as they have during Obama (because obstructing more is impossible). There is no mandate to do anything because the House will be controlled by the GOP and thus the people's will is that nothing will get done.

I don't think you can draw the normal conclusions about what's going to happen following the race. They may have no congressional majority, they may be totally rebuked at the state level, they may be chastened to the point that they have to play ball.

I mean it's Aug 4th and :
https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/761223069461544961?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

They're already pointing fingers

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Radish posted:

Yeah some of you youn'uns don't remember the 90s and how much of a hate boner they had for Clinton. The idea that the Clintons are murdering people and should go to jail is not new. Even that wasn't the start.

Leftover Bernie supporters are taking up the "Clinton is a murderer" charge and claiming that she and the DNC are literally killing everyone who questioned them over the email leaks or complained about the primary being "rigged". I haven't looked into it (because why the gently caress) but a guess a few people have supposedly died lately and suddenly it's Vince Foster all over again except this time from the far/fringe left

Kilroy posted:

carter was hated after he caused the 2008 financial crisis and tarnished bush's legacy, whose presidency had been going great up to that point

History's greatest monster

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Levitate posted:

Leftover Bernie supporters are taking up the "Clinton is a murderer" charge and claiming that she and the DNC are literally killing everyone who questioned them over the email leaks or complained about the primary being "rigged". I haven't looked into it (because why the gently caress) but a guess a few people have supposedly died lately and suddenly it's Vince Foster all over again except this time from the far/fringe left

There are so few of these people that they're basically irrelevant now.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

this is tight

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

zoux posted:

I don't think you can draw the normal conclusions about what's going to happen following the race. They may have no congressional majority, they may be totally rebuked at the state level, they may be chastened to the point that they have to play ball.

If the Democrats have majorities, it won't matter, of course. If the Republicans hold on to a majority in the House (as they likely will), the first congressmen to be eliminated are probably the most moderate ones, leading to a Tea Party core of insanity. It's those deep red safe seats that have produced tea parties in the first place because they have enough of a swivel-eyed voting base to win primaries consistently.

I really wouldn't get my hopes up on much getting done without a triple majority.

Edit: I mean we've seen for the past eight years that the only GOP play is doubling down. They'll just double down even more. Some people will get knives stuck in their backs and the faces will change.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Edmund Lava posted:

It's happened before

True, but Truman was a master politician and aikidoed all of his bad breaks into vote-gains: when Thurmond broke off during the convention, Truman moved massively pro-civil rights and got a large number of progressive/African-American votes; when Wallace broke off, Truman moved hard right on foreign policy and grabbed more moderates and independents than Wallace ended up stealing away; when Congress refused to do anything and went into a long recess, Truman called them into emergency session, dropped an omnibus bill on them to enact his platform, and when they gave him the finger, he campaigned against them rather than nice-but-bland Dewey.

Trump shares absolutely nothing with Truman other than the first four letters of his name and a willingness to use nukes.

Edit: and a later-than-people-are-comfortable-with renunciation of the Klan

Eschers Basement fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 4, 2016

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I teach college rhetoric so this is absolutely going into my course materials this fall.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

"DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN" was a result of incredibly bad polling (IIRC the most commonly cited poll was a Reader's Digest poll with a self-selected sample, i.e. a reader who wanted to take part just mailed their slip of paper in!) and gut feeling punditry.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Night10194 posted:

There are so few of these people that they're basically irrelevant now.

I know, it's just that one of them is my...uhh, step-sister-in-law (I think). I like to keep a few crazy family members un-muted on facebook just to see what the talking points of the crazy's are because it's amusing, but yeah it's also just amazing to continue to see Republican attacks from the 90's recycled by the other side

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Best case: Dems sweep all three national elections. This is unlikely, but possible by the slimmest of odds.
Likely case: Dems take the White House, at the very least tie the Senate, and make ground on the House.
Worst case: GOP sweep. About as possible as a dem sweep (mostly because the Presidential race).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Levitate posted:

The original person who came out with the "Clinton Death Count" in the 90s was a legit diagnosed crazy person who simply listed everyone who they knew died since Bill became governor and had had contact with the Clintons must have been killed by Bill or Hillary or on their orders.

What you're seeing now is people with the same level of critical thinking doing the exact same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Harrow posted:

As much as I'd be inclined to say that skipping out on a debate seems like it would obviously be the more damaging move, I'm beginning to suspect that showing up for a debate, at least the first time around, would actually damage him more, but not necessarily because of anything he says. Debates are held in front of a live audience, presumably consisting of supporters of both candidates, and Trump has managed to cultivate a mob-like, cult-like following whose members get high on hatred and bloodlust and whose extremism seems to still somehow be escalating. While the most blatantly unhinged people will almost certainly get turned away at the door, this would be the first time that they'd be in the same room as the Hillary Clinton and her supporters as she attacks their idol of worship.

I doubt that there would be any physical violence, but I also can't imagine the majority of Trump's base refraining from boos, hate speech, and shouting some truly vile things into the silence on national television even if it means they get kicked out or detained. After all, many of them hate political correctness with a fiery passion and seem to well and truly believe that showing even one ounce of politeness or a single shred of basic decency, regardless of the context, is a sign of trying to be politically correct because they are incapable of understanding that not everyone around them is motivated by a black pit of hatred and anger the way they themselves are.

The media has already begun to pick up on the words and shouts of people on Trump's own rallies as a reflection of the type of nation he is leading us towards, but similar words or worse being shouted during one of the official debates would really make the message ring home for a whole bunch of people I think.

• Locked thread