Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yo, is it racist that I'm wondering if it's Yo, Is This Racist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yo, is it racist that I'm wondering if it's Yo, Is This Racist?

*five minutes of awkwardly rambling about subjects loosely connected to this post before ending with 'yea maybe, it could be'*

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
hi, I'm ready to talk about politics in a way that's cool and refreshing. listen to this clip:

polls schmolls...it's very important that we say these are the things I believe in....Paul Ryan? He's in big trouble right now...and then I was going down on my husband and his sweaty balls and I saw Mitch McConnel on the tv and I thought : he looks just like my husbands sweaty balls!! needless to say he didn't get off that night...

i hope you agree it's important that we get a podcast out there that actually explains to the people how politics, which if you ask me are more of a circus than the real things, really work

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The_Rob posted:

Speaking of can anyone tell me why Katie Couric has a podcast on the alt comedy network? And why her last episode was with loving Frank Luntz? Who is that podcast even for?

It seems like a race (maybe against nobody) to wrap up the political scene (comedy and otherwise) before it continues to get too bloated. I made a post earlier about it but Earwolf now has four politics based shows (2 comedy, 2 serious). If they can get their hooks in now while the political scene is a complete clownshow and popular, it's a good future investment. Earwolf/Midroll snagging major brands (Bill Simmons, Katie Couric, etc.) from non-comedy scenes makes them a better investment and/or better positioned to survive the inevitable crash between when Lootcrate and its ilk die off and major companies get involved in non-ESPN advertising.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Earwolf should adopt The Digcast.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

GobiasIndustries posted:

It seems like a race (maybe against nobody) to wrap up the political scene (comedy and otherwise) before it continues to get too bloated. I made a post earlier about it but Earwolf now has four politics based shows (2 comedy, 2 serious). If they can get their hooks in now while the political scene is a complete clownshow and popular, it's a good future investment. Earwolf/Midroll snagging major brands (Bill Simmons, Katie Couric, etc.) from non-comedy scenes makes them a better investment and/or better positioned to survive the inevitable crash between when Lootcrate and its ilk die off and major companies get involved in non-ESPN advertising.

It's just confusing to me because I feel like the demographic who listens to comedy bang bang and HDTGM really wouldn't be in the same boat as people who want to listen to that lady who hosted the today show and a republican strategist who is partly responsible for the lovely state of our politics.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The_Rob posted:

It's just confusing to me because I feel like the demographic who listens to comedy bang bang and HDTGM really wouldn't be in the same boat as people who want to listen to that lady who hosted the today show and a republican strategist who is partly responsible for the lovely state of our politics.

Earwolf (owned by Midroll, owned by E.W Scripps) is going 'corporate' (not really (yet) but they need more name brands to keep expanding the business). I'm too tired to try and explain it right now (not being snarky) but the long & short of it for shows like Couric/Gregory it's better to get them and have them under the established Earwolf umbrella rather than try & make another abortion of an offspring like Wolfpop.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 4, 2016

cams
Mar 28, 2003

oh cool matt besser finally took some scripps notes to make his podcast better

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Earwolf (owned by Midroll, owned by E.W Scripps) is going 'corporate' (not really (yet) but they need more name brands to keep expanding the business). I'm too tired to try and explain it right now (not being snarky) but the long & short of it for shows like Couric/Gregory it's better to get them and have them under the established Earwolf umbrella rather than try & make another abortion of an offspring like Wolfpop.

Yeah, Scripps didn't just buy a podcast network, they bought an established alt-comedy brand in Earwolf. So now it's time to leverage that name recognition with listeners to launch a bunch of shows about parenting and politics.

Anyways, looking forward to Katie Couric appearing on CBB to promote her new show; she and Scott will be joined by Jon Gemberling's new character Larry Lunchmeat, a talking loaf of bologna who is a pedophile.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I really don't think it's too far out of the question that a large media company might decide they want to grow their investment, maybe even in ways that might not make sense to us? First, they've had other shows on the network that aren't strictly 'alt comedy' and there hasn't been a flood of vulgar crossovers to promote them (Crybabies, The Longest Shortest Time, Question of the Day, etc.). Second, does adding shows like Katie Couric's show or shows like The Room Where it's Happening (apparently a podcast about Hamilton? ugh) make you less likely to listen to the shows you currently listen to? I'm guessing not. Earwolf can still focus on comedy shows while adding podcasts on different subjects, as they've been doing for a while and tried to do when they created an entire sister network about pop culture.

Earwolf is very clearly trying to monetize itself, whether it started before the Scripps acquisition or not. They're looking for a new CEO and Midroll just acquired an established podcasting app company in Stitcher (hopefully it eventually has functionality to replace the widow Howl app!). Midroll's also starting a new podcast festival (Now Hear This), which similar to Earwolf seems focused on comedy with a few other serious ones thrown in. Whether Couric is a bit hit or not, I couldn't say, but if getting her on board helps position them to be able to bring in better advertisers, if only for their premiere shows, I don't see how it hurts.

Anyway, that was a big ol' effort post. Time to listen to Katie Couric interview Bob Costas, then whatever the hell today's i4h is :)

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

It really doesn't seem that crazy to me, all the hugest podcasts are from NPR . They want just a little bit of that middle aged demo. If they had the next This American Life or RadioLab or Freakanomics or Planet Money (hell, they got half of them), they'd be over the moon.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GobiasIndustries posted:

The Room Where it's Happening (apparently a podcast about Hamilton? ugh)

Earwolf doesn’t discriminate, it takes and it takes and it takes.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

GobiasIndustries posted:

Simmons is on earwolf?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
But what audience is Couric for? She isn't really that respected of a journalist so I don't see her bringing in the news junkie npr crowd. She's well known but I feel like her celebrity passed a while ago. Who are they targeting with her?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Snowmankilla posted:

Simmons is on earwolf?

Midroll worked out a contract with him for The Ringer podcasts.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
They would have been better off hiring The Digcast guys than Gregory or Couric.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Okonner posted:

They would have been better off hiring The Digcast guys than Gregory or Couric.

That very well may be true and they might be better, but, I have no idea who they are and I instantly know the names Gregory and Couric. That means a lot from a business standpoint. I'm certainly not a business man but I assume the path would be get a foothold in the political world with the more popular names then hire people like the Digicast guys.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Ape of Naples posted:

That very well may be true and they might be better, but, I have no idea who they are and I instantly know the names Gregory and Couric. That means a lot from a business standpoint. I'm certainly not a business man but I assume the path would be get a foothold in the political world with the more popular names then hire people like the Digicast guys.

Yea if you don't think, as a pure 'what looks good to investors and poo poo' thing Couric and Gregory have tons more weight behind them than the Digcast I don't know what to say.

It's stupid, but yea if Earwolf is trying to genuinely 'go mainstream' or whatever and be the internet NPR then yea, they need names like that behind them.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea if you don't think, as a pure 'what looks good to investors and poo poo' thing Couric and Gregory have tons more weight behind them than the Digcast I don't know what to say.

It's stupid, but yea if Earwolf is trying to genuinely 'go mainstream' or whatever and be the internet NPR then yea, they need names like that behind them.

But again is Couric really a big name for the NPR news junkie crowd? Especially for podcasts where I imagine the age group who are interested in Couric probably aren't that interested in podcasts.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The_Rob posted:

But again is Couric really a big name for the NPR news junkie crowd? Especially for podcasts where I imagine the age group who are interested in Couric probably aren't that interested in podcasts.

Perhaps Katie Couric having a podcast would make said age group interested in podcasts?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The_Rob posted:

Couric is exactly the kind of 'big name' needed for this stuff. It's a name people know, it looks good when you're trying to appeal to advertisers and all, and it's just enough of a weird old name where people who remember her are still plenty around to be curious enough to go 'what, that's weird, why does she have a podcast I'll see what that's about'

It's also a super 'safe' name. She's literally 'America's Sweetheart'

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 4, 2016

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The_Rob posted:

But what audience is Couric for? She isn't really that respected of a journalist so I don't see her bringing in the news junkie npr crowd. She's well known but I feel like her celebrity passed a while ago. Who are they targeting with her?

Any sliver they can get of the 99.99999% of the potential audience that aren't alt-comedy fans. It's not like they're going to lose those listeners just because they gave Katie Couric and David Gregory their own talk shows.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Any sliver they can get of the 99.99999% of the potential audience that aren't alt-comedy fans. It's not like they're going to lose those listeners just because they gave Katie Couric and David Gregory their own talk shows.

Yeah I understand that. It's just kind of weird. I don't think it means they are going to stop giving us good stuff from comedians and things like that. It's just that weird corporate mindset.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Im not gonna stop listening to comedy bang bang but i definitely am gonna not want to give money to the company that also hosts that podcast where the two investment bankers give you advice

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

manyak posted:

Im not gonna stop listening to comedy bang bang but i definitely am gonna not want to give money to the company that also hosts that podcast where the two investment bankers give you advice

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at too. I don't mind throwing a few bucks at them just to support the stuff I like, but I'm definitely not supporting the production of content I don't want to listen to. Not only that but the lack of new content is definitely not helping... producing things advertisers like isn't making me want to fund that poo poo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

ElCondemn posted:

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at too. I don't mind throwing a few bucks at them just to support the stuff I like, but I'm definitely not supporting the production of content I don't want to listen to. Not only that but the lack of new content is definitely not helping... producing things advertisers like isn't making me want to fund that poo poo.

Yeah it gets weird on the cracked podcast where they will do a special episode with a venture capitalist, or the CEO of General Motors.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i hate this page

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the hollywood handbook pokemon go special is real good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
besserman v suparmen is funny too

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

scary ghost dog posted:

besserman v suparmen is funny too

IDK, I am the bigger Besser fan and apologist there can be, I think every other Armen episode has been transcendent, but this one was straight up strange. I was so pumped when I saw it, but it was pretty flat.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Superman thinking he could beat Batman even if he didn't have any powers made me quit the podcast in disgust

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ManoliIsFat posted:

IDK, I am the bigger Besser fan and apologist there can be, I think every other Armen episode has been transcendent, but this one was straight up strange. I was so pumped when I saw it, but it was pretty flat.

I'm really enjoying it. Not particularly hilarious, but very worthwhile.

e: Maybe not. The longer this goes on the more monotonous it feels. Maybe an hour and a half long conversation between Batman and Superman can't quite sustain itself.

e2: Nah, it picked back up. Episode was dope.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 6, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

Maybe the problem is you're not a comic book movie fan? I thought it was great, I love suparmen.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

ElCondemn posted:

Maybe the problem is you're not a comic book movie fan? I thought it was great, I love suparmen.
I just saw that movie like 2 weeks ago and maybe I was already too riffed out on it. It just felt way more like an ep I should "appreciate" more than "enjoy". It's like TJ and Dave sometimes, "oh this is so high level...but I'm not laughing"

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
What I don't understand is how people are still donating money to specific shows. In the latest Bang Bang someone donated 500 dollars. Thats absurd.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think I read that if you donate to CBB you get an letter signed by the guests on the episode (but I guess you have to wait like 2 years for Scott to get through the donator backlog to get to your one)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's less a backlog and more they just clean forget for a year.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's not a letter, it's just a blank piece of printer paper. I believe Gabrus made fun of it at one point on CBB or I4H.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
When I donated two years ago in the mail was two printed pieces of paper, one saying thanks for supporting Earwolf signed by everyone who was on Comedy Bang Bang that day (including Besser yay) and a cover letter advising who had signed it.

I was happy with it. I had donated just as a yearly thankyou for making content that enables me to survive my lovely job. Also the AUD exchange rate was much better back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Finally got around to listening to the Katie Couric podcast with Bob Costas. Great! Loved hearing Bob talk, he's been the American host of the olympics for as long as I can remember. Even had a few funny anecdotes! It's early but I think Earwolf really added to their podcast stable with this one, I'm gonna try to catch up with the other 2 episodes this week, including the 1st episode with comedic legend Al Franken! What did everyone else think?