Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Watchmen is totally literature, Time Magazine said so! - a cretin

Now there's a cretin with good taste in literature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Watchmen is not literature because it is a comic book! - a cretin

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I am a popular addition to salads such as the Chicken Caesar - a crouton

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

CestMoi posted:

I am a popular addition to salads such as the Chicken Caesar - a crouton

Lol

But for real while Watchmen is pretty much literature it's pretty loving low brow

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
watchmen is very literary and deep and profound; for instance it asks the question what if all dongs were blue?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
What if, like, every ideology is wrong maaaaan

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.
Watchmen is definitely above your Dan Browns and definitely below your Jameses Joyce, so "middle brow" sounds about right.

It's fun to read, but you have to pay a bit of attention.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

please stop talking about watchmen

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Read Watchmen or watch men read?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BANG! POW! WHAM! Comics Aren't Just For Kids Anymore!

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I'm going to the bookstore today. I can afford one book. What should I get?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

thehoodie posted:

Ulysses

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Foul Fowl posted:

watchmen is very literary and deep and profound; for instance it asks the question what if all dongs were blue?

I would gladly read a short story about blue dicks if it were written by Garcia Marquez, for example

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

thehoodie posted:

Do you have a big brain or a small brain?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

thehoodie posted:

Go Set Some Watchmen, I think that's the one

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

thehoodie posted:

Minimalist poetry. $1 per word. Good for your reading stats

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

thehoodie posted:

Borges - Collected Fictions?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Zorodius posted:

Watchmen is definitely above your Dan Browns and definitely below your Jameses Joyce, so "middle brow" sounds about right.

Dans Brown*

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

thehoodie posted:

J_RBG posted:

Ulysses

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

thehoodie posted:

book 1 of My Struggle

<----------or the longest possible collection of The One Thousand and One Nights you can find

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
joyce's dubliners is a good collection of short stories to familiarize yourself with his style, because ulysses gets reaaaal weird and demands a lot of effort once you get into stephen's deranged wanderings and bloom's cuckoldry.

i'm going to read the portrait of an artist as a young man once i get some time off work.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Might I recommend The Bible

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

J_RBG posted:

Ulysses

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Borges - Collected Fictions?

Or Musil - The Man Without Qualities part 1

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I mean, if you had room in your budget for one book for like a year, then an annotated Ulysses, which covers so much ground in philosophy and the body of Western literature, is a fantastic pick. He wasn't asking for the best introduction to James Joyce or anything.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

<----------or the longest possible collection of The One Thousand and One Nights you can find

Oh my God. I'm reading this version of The Thousand and One Nights with commentary by some 1800s British dude, and the comments go about ten pages deep for each page of actual Nights. It's amazing; they're full of these semi-racist rambling anecdotes from an imperial British perspective that are much better than the actual fables themselves:

quote:

The Arabs in general constantly have recourse both to charms and medicines, not only for the cure, but also for the prevention of diseases. They have, indeed, a strange passion for medicine, which shows that they do not consider fate as altogether unconditional. Nothing can exceed the earnestness with which they often press a European traveller for a dose; and the more violent the remedy, the better are they pleased. The following case will serve as an example:—Three donkey-drivers, conveying the luggage of two British travellers from Booláḳ to Cairo, opened a bottle which they observed in a basket, and finding it to contain, as they had suspected, brandy, emptied it down their throats: but he who had the last, on turning up the bottle, got the tail of a scorpion into his mouth; and, looking through the bottle, to his great horror, saw that it contained a number of these reptiles, with tarantulas, vipers, and beetles. Thinking that they had poisoned themselves, but not liking to rely upon fate, they persuaded a man to come to me for medicine. He introduced the subject by saying, "O Efendee, do an act of kindness: there are three men poisoned; in your mercy give them medicine, and save their lives:" and then he related the whole affair, without concealing the theft.

I replied, that they did not deserve medicine; but he urged that, by giving it, I should obtain an immense reward. "Yes," said I; "'he who saveth a soul alive shall be as if he had saved the lives of all mankind.'" I said this to try the feeling of the applicant, who, expressing admiration of my knowledge, urged me to be quick, lest the men should die; thus showing himself to be no unconditional fatalist. I gave him three strong doses of tartar emetic; and he soon came back to thank me, saying that the medicine was most admirable, for the men had hardly swallowed it, when they almost vomited their hearts and livers, and everything else in their bodies.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

I would gladly read a short story about blue dicks if it were written by Garcia Marquez, for example

The very blue dick with enormous balls

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Watchmen is not literature because it is a comic book! - a cretin

Watchmen is not bad because its a comic book

Watchmen is bad because its c-rate philosophy mixed with poor female characterization in a plot that endeavors for no greater literary significance than a metacritical rebuttal of its own genre

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Zorodius posted:

Oh my God. I'm reading this version of The Thousand and One Nights with commentary by some 1800s British dude, and the comments go about ten pages deep for each page of actual Nights. It's amazing; they're full of these semi-racist rambling anecdotes from an imperial British perspective that are much better than the actual fables themselves:
Which one is it? Googling came up with Edward William Lane

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Which one is it? Googling came up with Edward William Lane

Yeah, that's my boy

Dude cannot just let a fable go; he has to drop the entire Dungeon Master's Guide to Djinn in the comments

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I was about to ask if you're seriously calling Burton "some 1800s British dude".

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

thehoodie posted:

The Windup Bird Chronicle.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

thehoodie posted:

Stoner by John Williams

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

thehoodie posted:

What do you or want to explore?

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Gay

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 24, 2019

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

rest his guts posted:

Also, Vonnegut is rad and Cat's Cradle is probably the funniest book I've ever read

When I was in high school I had my first exposure to Vonnegut with Cat's Cradle and Hocus Pocus. I adored the latter book at the time, but I've never heard anybody else talk about it. Does it hold up?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

thehoodie posted:

Moby Dick

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Robot Pride posted:

Vonnegut is amazingly easy to read and one of the few writers that makes me belly laugh while reading a book. Read everything he has written, IMHO. Full disclosure: I have 2 Vonnegut tattoos.

Zorodius posted:

rest his guts posted:

Anna Karenina is good cuz the bitch got what she deserved.

It's a pretty good critique of bureaucracy and hollow intellectualism, though. Levin is basically just the synthesis of Pierre and Andrei from the earlier W&P, but I really liked him as a character so :shrug: I think people don't have a lot of patience for the whole 'get to God' thing anymore but Tolstoy was probably a monopolar depressive living in an age of budding psychology so it's understandable

Also, Vonnegut is rad and Cat's Cradle is probably the funniest book I've ever read
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoBm29LVQBg

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Bbbbsdddd

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 24, 2019

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

thehoodie posted:

The Collected Stories of Mavis Gallant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

rest his guts posted:

"I'm a retrograde pseudo-intellectual too far up my own rear end to appreciate good writing"

you called?