Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Levitate posted:

Leftover Bernie supporters are taking up the "Clinton is a murderer" charge and claiming that she and the DNC are literally killing everyone who questioned them over the email leaks or complained about the primary being "rigged". I haven't looked into it (because why the gently caress) but a guess a few people have supposedly died lately and suddenly it's Vince Foster all over again except

This is a tremendous image nut I think you're looking for Vince "Foster" there. (Ha ha! Got this in right before the edit!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Seeric posted:

As much as I'd be inclined to say that skipping out on a debate seems like it would obviously be the more damaging move, I'm beginning to suspect that showing up for a debate, at least the first time around, would actually damage him more, but not necessarily because of anything he says. Debates are held in front of a live audience, presumably consisting of supporters of both candidates, and Trump has managed to cultivate a mob-like, cult-like following whose members get high on hatred and bloodlust and whose extremism seems to still somehow be escalating. While the most blatantly unhinged people will almost certainly get turned away at the door, this would be the first time that they'd be in the same room as the Hillary Clinton and her supporters as she attacks their idol of worship.

I doubt that there would be any physical violence, but I also can't imagine the majority of Trump's base refraining from boos, hate speech, and shouting some truly vile things into the silence on national television even if it means they get kicked out or detained. After all, many of them hate political correctness with a fiery passion and seem to well and truly believe that showing even one ounce of politeness or a single shred of basic decency, regardless of the context, is a sign of trying to be politically correct because they are incapable of understanding that not everyone around them is motivated by a black pit of hatred and anger the way they themselves are.

The media has already begun to pick up on the words and shouts of people on Trump's own rallies as a reflection of the type of nation he is leading us towards, but similar words or worse being shouted during one of the official debates would really make the message ring home for a whole bunch of people I think.

See also "HATE TRUMPS LOVE!"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Sarcastro posted:

This is a tremendous image nut I think you're looking for Vince "Foster" there. (Ha ha! Got this in right before the edit!)

try typing that again without the quotation marks.
be amused.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Can someone explain to me the dislocation between Obama and Hillary on the TPP deal? I didn't see another thread discussing it, but it's interesting that it's one of the few areas where they sharply differ (in rhetoric at least).

From what I have read, there is a lot of controversial poo poo in the TPP that makes me reflexively oppose it, but these two provisions stood out to me especially:

* Create an "ISDS" (investor-state dispute settlement) mechanism, which allows "investors" to sue governments for treaty violations, couched in terms like "freedom from discrimination", "protection against uncompensated expropriation of property", "protection against denial of justice" and "right to transfer capital".

This seems like a complete sop to MNCs who oppose state actors creating new law or acting in a way to protect their domestic industries and seems insanely shortsighted. How can the provision of a mechanism for corporations to sue governments be considered a good thing? For example, couldn't governments be sued by corporations for creating "undue burden" with tighter climate control, worker protection regulations, or a higher minimum wage? Even if ultimately unsuccessful, giving corporations the ability to bring suit seems like it would have a strong dampening effect on governments who want to strengthen their social safety nets.

*Enforce binding obligations for labor standards.

Given that the U.S. would be responsible for enforcing labor standards within the bloc, and its own abysmal record pertaining to unionization and minimum wage laws, I have zero confidence that the U.S. would willingly attempt to enforce "fair" labor standards throughout the member countries, which will further increase competition and pressure on low-wage workers in all member countries, but especially in the U.S.

This is without mentioning the IP issues. The TPP seems several steps beyond a "free trade" agreement, and I'm just wondering why it's necessary or even beneficial, especially to U.S. workers. It feels like a stealthy, significant increase in corporate power for questionable benefit.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Seeric posted:

As much as I'd be inclined to say that skipping out on a debate seems like it would obviously be the more damaging move, I'm beginning to suspect that showing up for a debate, at least the first time around, would actually damage him more, but not necessarily because of anything he says. Debates are held in front of a live audience, presumably consisting of supporters of both candidates, and Trump has managed to cultivate a mob-like, cult-like following whose members get high on hatred and bloodlust and whose extremism seems to still somehow be escalating. While the most blatantly unhinged people will almost certainly get turned away at the door, this would be the first time that they'd be in the same room as the Hillary Clinton and her supporters as she attacks their idol of worship.

I doubt that there would be any physical violence, but I also can't imagine the majority of Trump's base refraining from boos, hate speech, and shouting some truly vile things into the silence on national television even if it means they get kicked out or detained. After all, many of them hate political correctness with a fiery passion and seem to well and truly believe that showing even one ounce of politeness or a single shred of basic decency, regardless of the context, is a sign of trying to be politically correct because they are incapable of understanding that not everyone around them is motivated by a black pit of hatred and anger the way they themselves are.

The media has already begun to pick up on the words and shouts of people on Trump's own rallies as a reflection of the type of nation he is leading us towards, but similar words or worse being shouted during one of the official debates would really make the message ring home for a whole bunch of people I think.

Do you think the first debate would be meaningfully different if there was no physically present audience?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Eric Greitens is under attack by Obama's left-wing machine, but when he fights back he brings the big guns.

I don't see how this means anything other than "I will loving shoot people who disagree with me."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pathetic little tramp posted:

Eric Greitens is under attack by Obama's left-wing machine, but when he fights back he brings the big guns.

I don't see how this means anything other than "I will loving shoot people who disagree with me."

The gun is good, the penis government is evil.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

pathetic little tramp posted:

Help! I don't know what a metaphor is!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Eric apparently hasn't been following whats going on in Kansas very closely.

Probably cause he can't do anything but spout Tea Party nonsense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

While I hope you're right, I think KS was more of a specific single instance than indicative of a trend.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Malloreon posted:

Do you think the first debate would be meaningfully different if there was no physically present audience?

I specified the first debate because I figured it would be similar to the DNC where they were caught a bit off guard the first time people acted up, but they took measures against it after that. I guess I should have clarified that as "the first debate in front of a live audience consisting of supporters of both candidates". I didn't mean to imply that I thought the first debate would hold any sort of special significance in and of itself over later ones.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

a shameful boehner posted:

Can someone explain to me the dislocation between Obama and Hillary on the TPP deal? I didn't see another thread discussing it, but it's interesting that it's one of the few areas where they sharply differ (in rhetoric at least).

From what I have read, there is a lot of controversial poo poo in the TPP that makes me reflexively oppose it, but these two provisions stood out to me especially:

* Create an "ISDS" (investor-state dispute settlement) mechanism, which allows "investors" to sue governments for treaty violations, couched in terms like "freedom from discrimination", "protection against uncompensated expropriation of property", "protection against denial of justice" and "right to transfer capital".

This seems like a complete sop to MNCs who oppose state actors creating new law or acting in a way to protect their domestic industries and seems insanely shortsighted. How can the provision of a mechanism for corporations to sue governments be considered a good thing? For example, couldn't governments be sued by corporations for creating "undue burden" with tighter climate control, worker protection regulations, or a higher minimum wage? Even if ultimately unsuccessful, giving corporations the ability to bring suit seems like it would have a strong dampening effect on governments who want to strengthen their social safety nets.

*Enforce binding obligations for labor standards.

Given that the U.S. would be responsible for enforcing labor standards within the bloc, and its own abysmal record pertaining to unionization and minimum wage laws, I have zero confidence that the U.S. would willingly attempt to enforce "fair" labor standards throughout the member countries, which will further increase competition and pressure on low-wage workers in all member countries, but especially in the U.S.

This is without mentioning the IP issues. The TPP seems several steps beyond a "free trade" agreement, and I'm just wondering why it's necessary or even beneficial, especially to U.S. workers. It feels like a stealthy, significant increase in corporate power for questionable benefit.

Honestly, the reason people latched on to the IP issue is, well. Consider the people who were opposed to it. Most of the are millenials. A lot of them grew up with the internet. And I'd be willing to bet that a significant portion of those who protest the IP portion of them are pirates, and don't want their :filez: going away.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I honestly dont know how well a debate would go for Trump.

I can honestly see him working with his campaign for hours going over different topics and responses for them. But as soon as you get to a topic that he isnt prepared for or he gets questioned on some of his previous buffoonery him going completely off script and saying something really dumb that then just snowballs from their.

But at the same time in the primaries he just kept doubling down on his attacks on the other candidates and it worked well enough to get the nom. His best strategy would be to continue to bring every issue back to the "Crooked Hillary" narrative. Repeat that ad naseum so that it sticks with voters.

I would say that the most likely outcome is the first scenario. But if he can pull his head out of his rear end for even a night it could do him a world of good.

Granted im also saying this as someone who thinks that Clinton will win but is also terrified that something will happen that will swing the election.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Requiring significantly tighter enforcement of IP law seems almost impossible for ISPs anyway, which is why I'm more concerned with the other provisions.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'm pretty sure after all the crazy poo poo that's gone on they're prepared to handle kooks acting up on either side at a nationally televised debate.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

The current Democratic governor is the only reason Missouri isn't Kansas right now. The legislature went absolutely insane in recent years. Their speaker of the house from 2012 to 2015 was an unapologetic Birther.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Ze Pollack posted:

try typing that again without the quotation marks.
be amused.

I see. Most amusing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

a shameful boehner posted:

I'm not going to say ISDS is a good thing, but generally speaking the argument is that such provisions improve the confidence of investors to do international business, safe in the knowledge that they would at least get a day in front of a tribunal if a foreign government does something abusive or unfair. What constitutes abusive or unfair can be vague, but in principle is what the state agreed to in the first place when they signed the treaty. The ISDS clause thus adds a sense in which the rest of the treaty gains legal weight, because otherwise the company would have to get their own government to do *something* on their behalf, something that is unlikely to be available for all but the biggest and most well connected corporations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSYZ12LGVxw

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

OxySnake posted:

I can honestly see him working with his campaign for hours going over different topics and responses for them. But as soon as you get to a topic that he isnt prepared for or he gets questioned on some of his previous buffoonery him going completely off script and saying something really dumb that then just snowballs from their.

One of the things in the article from the guy that ghost-wrote his book was that Trump had almost no patience or tolerance for something that didn't immediately amuse or engage him. He couldn't get a decent interview because Trump would just walk out after ten minutes because he was bored, which is why the guy ended up ghosting him for months instead. It that's true it means that Trump won't be cramming for the debates because he literally doesn't understand how to tolerate activities that bore him.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Seeric posted:

I specified the first debate because I figured it would be similar to the DNC where they were caught a bit off guard the first time people acted up, but they took measures against it after that. I guess I should have clarified that as "the first debate in front of a live audience consisting of supporters of both candidates". I didn't mean to imply that I thought the first debate would hold any sort of special significance in and of itself over later ones.

From what I'm reading Hofstra is spending $700,000 on security, and they're a private campus who can rest it who is on the grounds. I'm sure some rowdy folk will sneak through but I don't expect bedlam.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I've seen a bunch of worried conservative posts saying basically "Obama is the most narcissistic, vain, and self centered President in history! But Trump might be worse!"

I know this is literal talking points they've been using for eight years, but where the heck does that view of Obama come from? I can't think of any particularly holier-than-thou comments that Obama has ever made outside of some trumped up quotes taken out of context (i.e., "Michelle said she hates white people!!!"). I really can't fathom how someone could describe Obama as either a narcissist or particularly self centered.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Donald Trump is a combination of every Bobby Moynihan character.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Violator posted:

I've seen a bunch of worried conservative posts saying basically "Obama is the most narcissistic, vain, and self centered President in history! But Trump might be worse!"

I know this is literal talking points they've been using for eight years, but where the heck does that view of Obama come from? I can't think of any particularly holier-than-thou comments that Obama has ever made outside of some trumped up quotes taken out of context (i.e., "Michelle said she hates white people!!!"). I really can't fathom how someone could describe Obama as either a narcissist or particularly self centered.
Narcissist is the only n-word remaining to them.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

OxySnake posted:

I can honestly see him working with his campaign for hours going over different topics and responses for them.

Me too, and I can see him ignoring everything and speaking off-the-cuff as he usually does. The man has literally no ability to learn anything or stay "on message" unless he's in front of a teleprompter.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Violator posted:

The word they're actually looking for when they say stuff like that is "uppity."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bit of ancient history: how many people were still in the last Republican Debate?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Violator posted:

Replace those adjectives with "uppity"

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Violator posted:

Obama presents himself extremely well and uses big words. But mainly the uppity thing Sarcastro said.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bit of ancient history: how many people were still in the last Republican Debate?

I think it was four

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Was Clint talking to a reporter this time when he said things he used to do weren't called racist, or an empty chair again?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

People certainly have selective memory or are absolutely terrible with history considering Eleanor Roosevelt was Hillary Clinton before Hillary was Hillary. A smart, opinionated woman who had her own agenda separate from her husband's, and whose public life only began as First Lady and continued well after she left the White House.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Violator posted:

The view comes from the fact that the right wing media barrages them with anti-Obama stories 24/7, and then claim that Obama is in the news too much.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mahoning posted:

People certainly have selective memory or are absolutely terrible with history considering Eleanor Roosevelt was Hillary Clinton before Hillary was Hillary. A smart, opinionated woman who had her own agenda separate from her husband's, and whose public life only began as First Lady and continued well after she left the White House.

Yes I'm aware of the existence of Eleanor Roosevelt.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

gradenko_2000 posted:

Trick question. 2

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Clevermuldoon posted:

Who spells friendship as two words?

Morons

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Is picking on Trump supporters considered punching down if you're an educated white liberal?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Is picking on Trump supporters considered punching down if you're an educated white liberal?

The joy of an election is that we are all equal in the electorate

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

zoux posted:

So the Atlah World MIssionary Church, they of the, uh

is in massive debt and just got foreclosed on and is to be sold at public auction.

and look who's trying to buy it

Yea Jessica Williams covered it in February. I'm going to repost it because the video is great.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/dzelq7/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-a-homophobic-church-falls-on-hard-times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

zoux posted:

Yes I'm aware of the existence of Eleanor Roosevelt.

I'm talking about the people in the video asking her those questions, as if she was the first. Not saying anything about you.

• Locked thread