Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?
I've got a service dilemma here... my 2012 GTI (6-speed) is at 55k km and is due for an oil change; it's been a year, and I don't quite drive 15k km per year.

My warranty is also about to expire (bought new in 2012, with a 4yr/80k km warranty).

Do I get the oil changed and go back in 5k km for the 60k service, or do I get the 60k service done now in case they find something while I still have warranty?

edit: The 60k service includes an oil change and is likely sold at a package price from the dealer, so if I get the oil changed now and do the 60k service in 5k km, I'll likely end up with another oil change (not necessarily a bad thing, but a bit of a waste).

tropical fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

tropical posted:

I've got a service dilemma here... my 2012 GTI (6-speed) is at 55k km and is due for an oil change; it's been a year, and I don't quite drive 15k km per year.

My warranty is also about to expire (bought new in 2012, with a 4yr/80k km warranty).

Do I get the oil changed and go back in 5k km for the 60k service, or do I get the 60k service done now in case they find something while I still have warranty?

edit: The 60k service includes an oil change and is likely sold at a package price from the dealer, so if I get the oil changed now and do the 60k service in 5k km, I'll likely end up with another oil change (not necessarily a bad thing, but a bit of a waste).

It's due for an oil change after a year regardless of miles, I'd get it done. Especially if your low mileage is due to a short commute that doesn't let the engine get fully up to temp. No harm in getting the 60k service early, just keep track of the km's so you have it in mind for the next interval.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?

NoWake posted:

It's due for an oil change after a year regardless of miles, I'd get it done. Especially if your low mileage is due to a short commute that doesn't let the engine get fully up to temp. No harm in getting the 60k service early, just keep track of the km's so you have it in mind for the next interval.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

My 15k/30k/45k services were all done at the year mark instead of the mileage mark but each time the gap from the car's mileage to the maintenance interval has widened a bit more.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i didnt see this mentioned before but FYI for anyone in the TDI situation and is underwater on the loan:

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

BraveUlysses posted:

i didnt see this mentioned before but FYI for anyone in the TDI situation and is underwater on the loan:

I want to know what it takes to be underwater on a $29k car with depreciation locked in to the value it had 11 months ago, plus a $5700 payout.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EgonSpengler posted:

I want to know what it takes to be underwater on a $29k car with depreciation locked in to the value it had 11 months ago, plus a $5700 payout.

A hosed up trade in would do it pretty easy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

EgonSpengler posted:

anyone who bought the car (new) 1-2 months before the scandal happened

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

That on its own isn't enough to do it, as 13 months of payments should have brought your loan value below of 130% of the buyback + payout.

It would take the perfect storm of stupidity to be at that level. A horrible underwater trade-in, taking every add on option offered by the loan guy, and agreeing to a balloon payment loan with a huge rate. I say perfect storm of stupidity, as if the buyer is that dim to accept all that, I would be really surprised that they even had enough of a credit rating to get approved. Even then I would be amazed that they hadn't defaulted on the loan and had the car repossessed at some point.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

BraveUlysses posted:

I am the person, as it stands the value of the car (per VW is 23,000) and the loan balance is ~25,000. Granted the value wont change but my payments will keep dropping the principal. Its like a cool down payment savings program.

2015 Sel TDI with all the things, purchase date Sep 1 2015.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the value of the car is 23k without restitution?

i'm getting 27.2k for my loaded 2013 JSW

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

BraveUlysses posted:

the value of the car is 23k without restitution?

i'm getting 27.2k for my loaded 2013 JSW

Yes w/o restitution. The entire package is 31,500 as my buyback amount.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I am the person, as it stands the value of the car (per VW is 23,000) and the loan balance is ~25,000. Granted the value wont change but my payments will keep dropping the principal. Its like a cool down payment savings program.

2015 Sel TDI with all the things, purchase date Sep 1 2015.

You're still not that person though, right? You're not adding in the 5700.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

No i guess after re-reading it I'm not my, TOTAL payment is much more than my outstanding balance (31,500 vs 25,000 on loan). But technically I am underwater by 2k on the car if you were to look at loan balance to car portion of the buyback .

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I posted in the stupid questions thread, because I didn't know we had a VW thread. :downs:

Raluek posted:

I'm helping a friend with an '05 Jetta (mkv), 2.5L 5-cyl. It's got a check engine light on. Read the code with Torque, it says it's P0171 too lean. I got a can of MAF cleaner and blasted out the MAF, reset the code by pulling the battery cable for a few minutes, and all was fine for a few weeks. Now the (same) code is back. So, I'm thinking the things that can cause a lean condition are the following:
  • Fuel pressure too low
  • Vacuum leak
  • MAF is fucky
  • O2 sensor is chooched
The fuel pressure tested fine (I rented the tester from autozone) and it drives fine, so I don't think it's that. I listened for a vacuum leak, and didn't hear anything. I hope it's not this, because I don't want to have to chase that down. Could still be the MAF, despite recent cleaning? Maybe I should try cleaning it again, although I wouldn't really have high hopes this time. If it was the O2 sensor, wouldn't it also store another code related to specifically the sensor?

I don't know these cars too well, so I don't know if they have any usual problem spots or "gotchas". Anywhere I should start looking in particular?

The advice I got was that it is most likely to be a vacuum leak (enourmo also mentioned that it could be an exhaust leak in the right place) or a damaged MAF. I'm guessing the advice will just be "go look at it and figure it out, dumbass," but I figured I'd check in with you guys first to see if there's a common problem/solution with these motors, since this thread has a higher chance of knowing that I guess. I'll be heading over there to look at it soon, so I figure having more info is always better.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
So this weekend I'm going to look at this http://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/5722625050.html and have $2k as my upper limit. I know 275k is a lot of miles on it, and don't plan on getting a lot out of it. This would really be for short commutes around town for a year or two.

My current car is a Focus, and I'm comfortable doing work on it, but really know nothing about TDIs. Any suggestions on what I should look for when looking at it? Should I run away from this? I really wouldn't expect to put more than 5-7k miles per year on it, and if it lasts a couple years I feel like I'm coming out ahead on it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I can't think of anything worse to use for short commutes than an old high mileage diesel.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

A modern day adaptation of the story of Sisyphus would be about a man cursed to own a Mk4 Diesel Golf.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
Hah, ok well thanks for the responses. Guess I was in over my head on this one, didn't realize it would be bad for short commutes. Thanks for saving me some headaches!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Nostrum posted:

A modern day adaptation of the story of Sisyphus would be about a man cursed to own a Mk4 Diesel Golf.

Earlier this year I bought a 2001 Golf TDI (manual, 210k miles) from my buddy who needed the money to help with the down payment on a new car. We ended up *mostly* fixing its various little problems and selling it for $3000 a month later. It had been overboosting and going into limp mode for the last year or so, headliner was sagging, had a leaky EGR, a cracked windshield, and a bunch of other little things still wrong with it. I ended up getting $3100 for it and the dude was SUPER eager to buy it, his whole family owns various TDIs. Easiest flip ever.

Those events have, for better or worse, caused me to fall in love with the Golf and I'm currently in talks with my local VW dealerships to trade in my Fiesta ST (plus a huge chunk of cash) for a 2017 Golf R w/DSG (when they start arriving on lots). How bad of an idea is this? I commute in stop and go traffic for about an hour a day so the DSG appeals to me. The FiST is easily the stiffest and harshest riding car I've ever owned and it's really starting to get to me, along with the fact that it's a tarted up econobox and is literally shaking itself apart. While I suppose the same can be said for the Golf R, the quality seems to be much higher.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Coolnezzz posted:

Earlier this year I bought a 2001 Golf TDI (manual, 210k miles) from my buddy who needed the money to help with the down payment on a new car. We ended up *mostly* fixing its various little problems and selling it for $3000 a month later. It had been overboosting and going into limp mode for the last year or so, headliner was sagging, had a leaky EGR, a cracked windshield, and a bunch of other little things still wrong with it. I ended up getting $3100 for it and the dude was SUPER eager to buy it, his whole family owns various TDIs. Easiest flip ever.

Those events have, for better or worse, caused me to fall in love with the Golf and I'm currently in talks with my local VW dealerships to trade in my Fiesta ST (plus a huge chunk of cash) for a 2017 Golf R w/DSG (when they start arriving on lots). How bad of an idea is this? I commute in stop and go traffic for about an hour a day so the DSG appeals to me. The FiST is easily the stiffest and harshest riding car I've ever owned and it's really starting to get to me, along with the fact that it's a tarted up econobox and is literally shaking itself apart. While I suppose the same can be said for the Golf R, the quality seems to be much higher.

I have loved both my GTI and TDI and I'm a huge DSG fan as well. I guess I haven't driven a ton of automatics but this one works really well. It downshifts well when you're in the mountains, for example, and I love the quick shifts. A friend of mine has had a Golf R for a while, he's gotten it tuned and she's a quick little whip. You really have to love VW to pay that premium, but I think they're awesome little cars!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I've been toying with the idea of replacing my 2010 GTI because of the fire sale prices VW has had going on lately, but it's a downer that it's only on the GTI and not the R. Tough to justify the extra 8k-10k for an R over an Autobahn GTI.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

I've been toying with the idea of replacing my 2010 GTI because of the fire sale prices VW has had going on lately.

My friend ran over a bolt and needed a new wheel and some tires yesterday. $5500 on the hood got him into a new GTI while they were doing it. He got $9k for a 2013 GLI with 100,000 miles. That doesn't include them eating the cost of a new wheel and the tires they'd put on it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Coolnezzz posted:

My R is a perfect commuter car. Leave suspension mode in normal and it rides great. Press sport and it'll make your kidneys bleed. I leave mine set to Sport steering, sport engine, normal for everything else. Tightens up the steering a bit and gives it a bit more pep + added sound.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5741728635.html

I don't know anything about Volkswagens assume this is worth closer to 8-9.

I do know that it's a TSI and should have an Aisin auto instead of the DCT which should in theory be less of a headache assuming VW programmed it properly. Do you still need to clean carbon buildup on the TSIs regularly? Any other gotchas I should know about?

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

Frohike999 posted:

Hah, ok well thanks for the responses. Guess I was in over my head on this one, didn't realize it would be bad for short commutes. Thanks for saving me some headaches!

Well, I already set aside a time to look at this, so I figured I should at least show up. I told myself I was going to look at it then walk away unless everything was better than expected. I ended up buying it anyway. I can already think of a few things I need to do to it, but it drives so nice!

I'll be sure to post the stupid poo poo that pops up with this and how I regret the purchase so you guys can mock me endlessly.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

raej posted:

My wife's 2011 Q7 TDI seems overly AdBlue thirsty. I do notice a drippage behind the driver rear tire, but cannot confirm if water or AdBlue. Anyone else had an experience with this? Is it an easy fix, or cheaper to just keep refilling the DEF every couple hundred miles?

If it's a DEF leak it will crystallize. If it's toward the rear of the car, it could be the seal around the pump or a line that got damaged. The injector into the exhaust is about the middle of the vehicle, they have been known to leak. Audi tech checking in, take some pics.

I just registered my own 2015 Golf S Manual that I bought prior to Sept 2015. The return value is calculated at 16k which seems extremely low, as it blue books at 18k right now. Add a$6500 restitution payment, and as far as what I still owe, I used my current payoff quote of 20,300 or so, looks like I'll get about 2 grand from VW after I return it. So much for thinking I'll have money to put down on a used car. :( does anyone know why the return amount is so low? I really wanted to take this opportunity to get out of a car payment altogether, or get a substantially lower one.

Edit: current mileage is 17,094. And it's been parked for 2 months.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

blk posted:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5741728635.html

I don't know anything about Volkswagens assume this is worth closer to 8-9.

I do know that it's a TSI and should have an Aisin auto instead of the DCT which should in theory be less of a headache assuming VW programmed it properly. Do you still need to clean carbon buildup on the TSIs regularly? Any other gotchas I should know about?

Judging by the shifter, it appears to be a regular automatic. DSG cars have a little DSG imprint. DSG is definitely superior, but sometimes have mechatronic unit and or clutch pack issues. Both I think have warranty extensions dependent upon vin. They do still have carbon issues, dependant upon driving profile. The worst ones seem to be high traffic commutes and lots of idling. If you start early, intake decarb snake oil services may help, but if it's already gunked up, it's not going to help. I will say that after a check engine light comes on for cold start misfires, and you get the carbon removed, there's a HUGE difference in performance, it's one of my favorite repairs to do as a tech.

Also the early TSi engine had chain tensioner issues, as well as chain stretch, the tensioner has been updated a few times. Because it's low mileage, if the tensioner fails or chain stretches and you end up bending valves, a call to VW goes a long way, and it's probably a good candidate for a goodwill repair, with maybe a small deductible.

The only other gotcha I can think of with that car is the steering column lock. There was a recall at some point but I still see them from time to time. Causes the cluster to stay on when you remove the key and kill the battery, and a no start issue. Otherwise Passat wagons are pretty sweet. I really want a 3.6 4 motion.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

emocrat posted:

Looking for a little advice here.

I have a 2013 Passat TDI with 41k miles. I plan to sell it back to VW. However, I had planned to wait till around 2018 to do that, try and get as much out of it as I can with the buyback price locked in.

A few days ago my check engine e light came on. I took it to the store and had them read to code. It came out as

P2196 O2 sensor signal stuck rich bank.

So, how important is this? Should I get it fixed or can I just ride it out till I sell it back? Should I accelerate when I sell it back because of this? Finally, if I do get it fixed, any idea what a reasonable price would be?

It needs a heated o2 sensor. If you don't replace it, it's probably going to clog up your dpf. Replace front o2 sensor. But if you're p getting it bought back early on, looks like all the car has to do is move under its own power.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?
So, uh, a local gas station car wash ended up blowing the gas cover door clean off of my 2012 GTI. Like, the door part snapped right off the hinge.

I'm going to check around some local indie VW garages and see if any of them have a spare in carbon steel grey and then I'll try to replace it myself. I've been looking around online for removal/installation instructions but haven't had any luck... can anybody help me out?

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Is the hinge part still intact? The painted door part basically just clips onto the fuel door assembly. If the hinge part is broken and you still have the painted part, you could pick up a door assembly and slap the painted part back on

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I got my settlement book in the mail yesterday. For a car I traded in almost 14 months ago.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Oh, that's funny. I thought we received ours because I had signed up for that preliminary interest thing on their website.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?

interwhat posted:

Is the hinge part still intact? The painted door part basically just clips onto the fuel door assembly. If the hinge part is broken and you still have the painted part, you could pick up a door assembly and slap the painted part back on

It broke, cleanly, off the hinge.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Speaking of gas doors... I just got a 2016 GTI w/ performance package last week! The gas door and all of the literature (as well as a lot of information online) says it should run fine with regular 87. Does anyone have any input on this? It seems to be running through the two tanks of 87 I've put in there, but I'm a little concerned as I'm not planning on getting rid of the car anytime soon.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have a 2016 TSi 1.8t and have been on 87 exclusively for the 2000+ miles I've put on it, no issues. I had a 2003 Jetta Wagon 1.8t prior to that and it required Premium so this is a nice change.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Kramdar posted:

Oh, that's funny. I thought we received ours because I had signed up for that preliminary interest thing on their website.

I got 2 of them! Only because the dealership hosed up my wifes name on the paperwork the first try( lastname firstname instead of firstname lastname).

Has there been any firm timeline on the buybacks? My tabs expire on October 31st and I would rather not pay ~$250 for tabs for like 2 weeks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
early november but nothing concrete yet...expect a flood of people to be taking the offer as soon as it's available.

why are your tabs so expensive? they're only 100ish here in snohomish county.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DeNofa posted:

Speaking of gas doors... I just got a 2016 GTI w/ performance package last week! The gas door and all of the literature (as well as a lot of information online) says it should run fine with regular 87. Does anyone have any input on this? It seems to be running through the two tanks of 87 I've put in there, but I'm a little concerned as I'm not planning on getting rid of the car anytime soon.

http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/gti/2010/long-term-road-test/2010-volkswagen-gti-the-effect-of-octane-on-its-power.html

I have the urge to swap my GTI back to stock. I've owned it a year now and have put 17k miles on it with a JB1 tune box and DP since ~500mi... considering getting rid of it. Back to an old car.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 22, 2016

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Negromancer posted:

I got 2 of them! Only because the dealership hosed up my wifes name on the paperwork the first try( lastname firstname instead of firstname lastname).

Has there been any firm timeline on the buybacks? My tabs expire on October 31st and I would rather not pay ~$250 for tabs for like 2 weeks.

Yeah I'm in the same boat here. My tabs also expire in the middle of October and having to shell out the 230$ for a month is lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

early november but nothing concrete yet...expect a flood of people to be taking the offer as soon as it's available.

why are your tabs so expensive? they're only 100ish here in snohomish county.

One of the many downsides of living in Seattle proper I guess. Here is the breakdown:

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I'm in the same boat here. My tabs also expire in the middle of October and having to shell out the 230$ for a month is lovely.

I will probably hold off as long as I can, not like it would be the first time I have driven on expired tabs for extended periods of time heh.