Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
On one Splatoon match last night the opposing team had two terrible snipers that never moved that I kept running over with the roller

On the next match I had two terrible snipers who never moved on my team and we lost real bad

Coming around to playing with the roller after using like nothing but shooters the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This morning on the radio on the way to work I heard a car dealership say "We want to evolve your car driving experience! Hurry up because after X cars our servers shut down!"

I don't know what world I'm living in anymore. :psyduck:

VideoGames posted:

I wish you could export highlights. It seems really odd to me that they vanish and you cannot save them.

You can re-watch highlights as long as you don't log out, so just fire them up afterwards and record it using shadowplay or some streaming software. Kinda sucks there's no automatic way to do it but not too many hoops to jump through really.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Help Im Alive posted:

It's on iOS, Android and a Brazilian edutainment system called Zeebo???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYAwupPdY0k
why would they need to play that when they can just look out the window :v:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

In Training posted:

Also yeah in 2096 Capcom will still be porting RE4 and I couldn't be happier

RE4-2, with coop as good as 5. Capcom please :qq:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Klaus Kinski posted:

RE4-2, with coop as good as 5. Capcom please :qq:

You might be joking, but I could envision a series of like, RE7,8,9 being the new first person horror style, and then them having maybe a throwback fixed angle entry. And then The Return to Third Person Action! Leon is BACK! On the PlayStation 5!

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

In Training posted:

You might be joking, but I could envision a series of like, RE7,8,9 being the new first person horror style, and then them having maybe a throwback fixed angle entry. And then The Return to Third Person Action! Leon is BACK! On the PlayStation 5!

Not joking, 5 is the best couch coop game ever while being really mediocre single player. If they could get 5's coop into something even close to how good 4 is overall, I would rebuy it more than I've already bought 4.

Revelations is probably going to be the TPS spinoff going forward and if they didn't gently caress up the coop, it could be a really good series.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yawn, more like, Yawn

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well we've no idea what form the Resi 2 remake is going to take yet.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Sakurazuka posted:

Well we've no idea what form the Resi 2 remake is going to take yet.

the reactions are going to be amazing if it's just not another "hd" cash in.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

This morning on the radio on the way to work I heard a car dealership say "We want to evolve your car driving experience! Hurry up because after X cars our servers shut down!"

I don't know what world I'm living in anymore. :psyduck:

One where marketing people reference pop culture in an attempt to connect with customers.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MinibarMatchman posted:

when they finally pull the plug, in like 30XX

Yeah, this is accurate. An Everquest expansion came out at the end of last year and afaik that game peaked around half a million subs. WoW's peak was twelve million.

I'm 30 and afraid WoW might outlive me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mutata posted:

One where marketing people reference pop culture in an attempt to connect with customers.

Pretend I posted that pic of steve buscemi bein like "how do you do fellow kids"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

An Everquest expansion came out at the end of last year

Jeeze

Is it still a paid subscription thing too?

I remember something I saw when I was a little kid. It was a report on g4 about everquest and online marriage, with a couple of guys getting married over everquest since they both played it and it was the only way they could get married. at the time I thought it was really gross because I was a dumbass 13~ year-old but in hindsight, that was really sad that they had to get married over everquest (and I think everquest didn't allow for same sex marriage either so one of them had to use a female character) and I'm glad gay marriage has been making so much progress in recent years.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FirstAidKite posted:

Jeeze

Is it still a paid subscription thing too?

I remember something I saw when I was a little kid. It was a report on g4 about everquest and online marriage, with a couple of guys getting married over everquest since they both played it and it was the only way they could get married. at the time I thought it was really gross because I was a dumbass 13~ year-old but in hindsight, that was really sad that they had to get married over everquest (and I think everquest didn't allow for same sex marriage either so one of them had to use a female character) and I'm glad gay marriage has been making so much progress in recent years.

EQ is now free2play, although you're massively restricted if you dont' pay monthly fees so they highly incentivize paying for it.

I think EQ live servers are a total disaster at this point, not a fan of the direction they've taken the game, but I still play classic EQ on project1999 because it offers an experience that no other modern MMO does except maybe EVE online, but sometimes I wanna be a fantasy dude and not a spaceship.

EQ is a magical and hard-core game that eats up insane amounts of time but delivers player-driven experiences you just don't get in things like WoW or FFXIV. You actually meet people and you actually talk to them and stuff. That just doesn't happen in WoW.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Sid meier needs to hoist up his pantyhose and make covert action 2. Being a cold-war era spy who plays minigames sounds extremely like my poo poo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Capcom ports of their old stuff are doing really well for them so I'd expect a lot more of that.
they need to port the Breath of Fire series to Steam starting with Dragon Quarter the Best one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Instead you can get BoF 6 straight to your phone!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/08/04/nintendo-powers-super-mario-adventures-comic-reprinted-viz-media/

gently caress yeah.

They already did this with the Zelda ones.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Sid meier needs to hoist up his pantyhose and make covert action 2. Being a cold-war era spy who plays minigames sounds extremely like my poo poo.

How about, instead, sid meier and will wright come out with simgolf 2

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Sensible golf is the only golf game

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf/みんなのGOLF + Mario Golf are both good

Maybe realistic golf games will be cool in the future with VR idk

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hehe, remember Aqua Teen golf, that stuff was wicked.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Mario golf wouldn't let you put backspin on the ball, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mario golf wouldn't let you put backspin on the ball, though.

3DS Mario Golf does :)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Aw drat, for a second I thought you were talking about those old mario gamebook rpgs since you mentioned the zelda comics too and there were a couple of zelda gamebooks as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Gamebooks#Nintendo_Adventure_Books

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mario having a brain aneurysm sounds pretty downbeat for a mario game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Aw drat, for a second I thought you were talking about those old mario gamebook rpgs since you mentioned the zelda comics too and there were a couple of zelda gamebooks as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Gamebooks#Nintendo_Adventure_Books

I had one of those. It was not a good CYOA.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mario having a brain aneurysm sounds pretty downbeat for a mario game.

Could be worse:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh also that wikipedia link mentioned that there were 4 later cyoa nintendo books. Huh.

Zaphod42 posted:

I had one of those. It was not a good CYOA.

What was bad about it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

What was bad about it?

Just generally low quality writing, plus a lot of weird unclear choices that could lead to failure real easy without really giving you a ton to work off.

I mean, they're children's books so they're not going to be amazing, but I remember disliking them even as a kid.

I was really into a few CYOA books as a kid, mainly Lone Wolf: Grey Star. Comparing the two is an absolute joke. I prefer CYOA that has additional gamebook rules on top of just picking choices, but even for a game with no rules and just choices the choices were lame and unclear in the Nintendo ones. Even Give yourself Goosebumps I liked more than the Nintendo ones.

The only real fun part is that they're involving Mario and Peach and Koopas and stuff, if you're a fan of Mario. The writing is more like Super Mario Super Show than anything you find in the games themselves.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 4, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

The only real fun part is that they're involving Mario and Peach and Koopas and stuff, if you're a fan of Mario. The writing is more like Super Mario Super Show than anything you find in the games themselves.

To be fair, I think the most writing early mario games had were some letters from peach and

I've only recently discovered that cyoa rpg gamebook things are even a thing. I can tell that I would have loved stuff like Caverns of the Snow Witch or Appointment with FEAR growing up. The only CYOA I ever got to read was a goosebumps one my cousin had and I never even finished it, I just remember getting to a point where it felt like I had to keep backtracking my choices because I'd ended up down a long chain of choices that went nowhere but dead ends.

Really I just like rpg books in general. The recent humble book bundle looks pretty good in that regard since it is a bunch of Vampire The Masquerade stuff, tho idk if any of it is *good* vampire stuff since I guess white wolf quality can be all over the place?

I've been experimenting around with these battle books things too, I still don't quite have the hang of how the system works but it seems like a fun enough idea since, in essence, it is like having a prebuilt deck of cards and you can play against another person's book and you go through the "deck" and pick a move each turn, except you're limited in what moves you can do based on your current stats as well as any modifiers your previous moves did or any modifiers your opponent's previous move had.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Games + books is a good combination in nearly every form it takes, game manuals, cyoa books, rpg books, that book about making doom, Captan N's Kid Bible, etc.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Help Im Alive posted:

Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf/みんなのGOLF + Mario Golf are both good

Maybe realistic golf games will be cool in the future with VR idk
i'm counting on unrealistic golf games being cool, i wanna play robot golf so bad

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PBS Newshour posted:

Games + books is a good combination in nearly every form it takes, game manuals, cyoa books, rpg books, that book about making doom, Captan N's Kid Bible, etc.

I know you said "nearly every form" and not "every form" but I really just want an excuse to post this

There were also those weird captain n comics that had samus in them as this extremely forward lady who was so forward in her advances that she made captain n uncomfortable

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Why are people still playing fallout 4?

E:hold me kevin

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 4, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I've only recently discovered that cyoa rpg gamebook things are even a thing. I can tell that I would have loved stuff like Caverns of the Snow Witch or Appointment with FEAR growing up. The only CYOA I ever got to read was a goosebumps one my cousin had and I never even finished it, I just remember getting to a point where it felt like I had to keep backtracking my choices because I'd ended up down a long chain of choices that went nowhere but dead ends.

Really I just like rpg books in general. The recent humble book bundle looks pretty good in that regard since it is a bunch of Vampire The Masquerade stuff, tho idk if any of it is *good* vampire stuff since I guess white wolf quality can be all over the place?

I've been experimenting around with these battle books things too, I still don't quite have the hang of how the system works but it seems like a fun enough idea since, in essence, it is like having a prebuilt deck of cards and you can play against another person's book and you go through the "deck" and pick a move each turn, except you're limited in what moves you can do based on your current stats as well as any modifiers your previous moves did or any modifiers your opponent's previous move had.

Gamebooks are awesome but they're super niche and only huge nerds know about them :( I wish they'd take off more in greater society. Its a fun mix between a book and a game, you get to control the narrative but you're not playing something per se. Interactive fiction is cool and good for your creativity.

I started a CYOA thread but only a couple goons ever posted in it.

Have you ever heard of Fabled Lands? Its basically an open-world CYOA, which is a pretty mind-blowing concept. Each book is a different continent in the world, and you're freely able to explore the continents in whatever order you want; the entire thing is completely non-linear. A non-linear book. Its nuts.

If you go here: http://flapp.sourceforge.net/ you can download a java build of Fabled Lands (Legal and free, not :filez: ) and play through some of it yourself to see what it's like, although reading it in book form is superior so if you do like it you should buy a book or two; they're cheap.

Anybody with some time to kill should download that and play for a bit, and then post the story of how you died. Its fun stuff.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 4, 2016

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Whenever Nintendo would do those "red version, blue version" games, I would always get/want the blue one. Oracle of Ages, Pokemon Blue... even the dark blue transparent N64 controller when they released those colored ones a la iMac.

Anyone else? I actually missed that inter-game version stuff and wish that the trend had stuck over the years.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

Whenever Nintendo would do those "red version, blue version" games, I would always get/want the blue one. Oracle of Ages, Pokemon Blue...

Anyone else? I actually missed that inter-game version stuff and wish that the trend had stuck over the years.

You missed out in regards to the oracle games since seasons is an entirely separate game from ages. Shame they had to scrap Oracle of Secrets tho.

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you ever heard of Fabled Lands? Its basically an open-world CYOA, which is a pretty mind-blowing concept. Each book is a different continent in the world, and you're freely able to explore the continents in whatever order you want; the entire thing is completely non-linear. A non-linear book. Its nuts.

I haven't heard of it, but how would that even work? I don't have time to check it out right this moment and I'm having trouble comprehending how a series of nonlinear continents you can swap between would even work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I haven't heard of it, but how would that even work? I don't have time to check it out right this moment and I'm having trouble comprehending how a series of nonlinear continents you can swap between would even work.

A combination of a lot of looping around to hub-areas, like cities or crossroads, having lots and lots and lots of different winding CYOA paths that feed back into each other, and then having a "keyword" system for saving variables.

So like, lets say you go to the crossroads. It might say "if you have the keyword "highwayman" skip to page 150, otherwise go to page 20"
So you don't have highwayman, so you go to page 20.
Then it says "you approach the crossroads and see a highwayman hop out from behind a tree! He says "your HP or your GP!" how do you respond?"
Then your typical CYOA "Choose to fight him - go to page 125, Choose to pay him - go to page 130, try to run away - go to page 74"
But then when you finish either fighting him or paying him or whatever (unless you die) then it says "Mark down the keyword "highwayman" on your record sheet" (Or in the book, but I don't like marking the book itself)

Then next time you go to the same place, since you have the keyword, you instead flip to page 20 and there's no highwayman and the crossroads is clear.
Or maybe if you choose to fight him, instead you get the keyword "revenge" which means that next time you go to the crossroads, the highwayman shows up with a group of bandits and they ALL attack you!

Basically its a simple variable system, like what a text-based ZORK type game would be recording in its memory. Instead you just write passwords on paper, but it works really well.

There's also stuff like, you can visit a bank and deposit money, so you write down how much money you deposit. Then later when you return to the bank, you look up how much money is deposited and that's how much you can withdraw. Systems like that.

That's just for a single book!

Then for the multiple continents thing, you might get to a port-city, and among your options in the port-city you'd have "if you wish to pay 100g to take a ride to the isle of mermaids, switch to page 24 of book 3" (If you don't have book 3, you can't, obviously)

That way each book can have text for "arriving" in that continent from each of the other books. One book may send you to page 24 of book 3 while another book may send you to page 275 of book 3 when you travel there. Each has different ports and routes of travel.

Its pretty brilliant.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've been playing a bit of interactive fiction myself lately. There's a free app on iOS called Frotz that includes a bunch of modern interactive fiction games, and the several that I've looked at have been real good, and the app itself handles typing in text pretty well. I would recommend it

• Locked thread