Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

For the love of god, do not post ANY quotes related to these events in this, the "Funny Forum Quotes" thread.

CHILDREN'S PLANE MOVIE posted:

The female planes are apparently designed by someone who has no idea what a female plane would look like. The idea of introducing gendered identities to normally non-gendered objects so often treats the familiar as inherently masculine. Female planes are painted hot pink and granted the enlarged, fluttery eyelashes so often used to distinguish women from men in lazily drawn cartoons. "Look at that propellor," declares Dusty and he gets a look at one of the ladyplanes' rear end. In one scene, the film even eroticises the tilting of wingflaps for a disturbingly long time. You could argue that it is a joke. I would argue that it enforces the idea of objectifying women to all the five-year-old boys in the audience by applying it to literal objects who have gender but no sex. Gotta start them off early, after all.

In a film so concerned with class division, racial stereotypes and gender-inequality, it seems odd that the heavy-handed "moral" of the story would be that Dusty's success is an inspiration to all the little guys who were designed to be less but who can learn to try to become more somehow. It's like the persistent right-wing (ha) argument that minorities already have equality and that by insisting that they do not, these groups are merely seeking to gain an upper hand. The belief is that these people are naturally unequal and can only be considered equal in legal terms, because the truth as they see it is that anyone who is not society's favourite is only in a marginalised position because they can never aspire to truly be more than they are allowed to be.

(I do it because I care, cined)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Aphrodite posted:

It's just that CD is the only forum we have for people who majored in one of the unemployable arts.

Like if we had an anthropology forum, or an art history forum, or a I guess anything else with either the words 'art' or 'history' in it forum, then they wouldn't stand out so much.

Nah, there are a bunch of threads for that stuff in Ask/Tell and they aren't nearly as pretentious.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

It's just that CD is the only forum we have for people who majored in one of the unemployable arts.

Like if we had an anthropology forum, or an art history forum, or a I guess anything else with either the words 'art' or 'history' in it forum, then they wouldn't stand out so much.

lol no, we have a couple of those forums

lenoon posted:

The anthropologists among us are busy using the forums as source material for ethnographies

some of you may think that this is a joke, but it's not. there has been a few studies made of us

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
SMG is basically the Jim Jones of CD

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nah, there are a bunch of threads for that stuff in Ask/Tell and they aren't nearly as pretentious.

Ask/Tell also has plenty of normal threads. It's all about density.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

quote:

See this is why outside people make fun of us.

There's some stunned responses but no one directly calls him an idiot for making disobedience of your parents into rape. idgi.

E: I'm totally going to touch your dad's legos :unsmigghh:

Hemingway To Go! has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Aug 4, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hogge Wild posted:

some of you may think that this is a joke, but it's not. there has been a few studies made of us

why do you think i wordlessly posted cosby for so long

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

YeahTubaMike posted:

For the love of god, do not post ANY quotes related to these events in this, the "Funny Forum Quotes" thread.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

The paper you feature in is doing well according to google scholar analytics

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Please, quote every Cosby from the memes thread.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

lenoon posted:

The paper you feature in is doing well according to google scholar analytics

Please link this paper.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Digging these hilarious quotes keeper comin

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Please link this paper.

Sorry, should have done that immediately

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Thanks, by looking through this I found a serious academic paper analysing the cultural, economical and sociological impacts of an SA photoshop thread that I made making fun of "Why didn't you invest in Eastern Poland?". 14 pages of it and my photoshop with Hitler included. My life is closer to being complete now.

EDIT: Jesus, I'm a bit further into it and they showed those photoshops to focus groups and gauged their emotional reactions. 80% negative, "especially to the one with the deformed child from the movie Total Recall". Thank you academia, I'm dying.

Palpek has a new favorite as of 20:47 on Aug 4, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
CD is so dumb, those clowns should be doing more constructive things like making thousands of posts about hating Mt Everest and the Xbox One.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Acne Rain posted:

There's some stunned responses but no one directly calls him an idiot for making disobedience of your parents into rape. idgi.

E: I'm totally going to touch your dad's legos :unsmigghh:

Acne Rain reached down and gently but forcefully spread his father's legos.

"I wish you wouldn't, son", his father said. "Please".

hahahaha ew

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
:psyboom:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

CD is so dumb, those clowns should be doing more constructive things like making thousands of posts about hating Mt Everest and the Xbox One.

good thing there's absolutely nothing in between those two extremes or you'd look like a fuckin moron

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Karl Marx being mentioned a lot in that thread is not really weird, to be fair. Director Neil Blomkamp's previous movie was Elysium, where the communist stuff was not even subtle.

Also CD taking every movie seriously is no different from the literature classes I took in universities where Britney Spears songs and Twilight novels are discussed together with Shakespeare and 18th-century novels.

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Aug 4, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Guy Mann posted:

Why come up with wacky examples of retarded posting when you could have just linked your own post history?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

The MSJ posted:

Karl Marx being mentioned a lot in that thread is not really weird, to be fair. Director Neil Blomkamp's previous movie was Elysium, where the communist stuff was not even subtle.

Also CD taking every movie seriously is no different from the literature classes I took in universities where Britney Spears songs and Twilight novels are discussed together with Shakespeare and 18th-century novels.

On the other hand it's ridiculous for a thread about a pop sci-fi movie on an internet comedy website to have 48 mentions of Marx or Marxism on a single page

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Trig Discipline posted:

Acne Rain reached down and gently but forcefully spread his father's legos.

"I wish you wouldn't, son", his father said. "Please".

hahahaha ew

"Don't worry, daddy", he said coyly. "I'll be gentle, I promise...."
He seductively caressed the block's edges while his father nervously looked on, sweating profusely

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
How 'bout i stop y'all from bein' creepy by quoting a funny post

Mak0rz posted:

Doesn't Johnny Knoxville or Steve-O or someone have a permanent catheter or whatever because their urethra collapsed from so much dick trauma?

Dick Trauma posted:

This post...! it was made for me!

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Aug 5, 2016

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Alaois posted:

good thing there's absolutely nothing in between those two extremes or you'd look like a fuckin moron

Everest thread callout victim spotted

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Palpek posted:

Why come up with wacky examples of retarded posting when you could have just linked your own post history?

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Maksimus54 posted:

I know I'm not some poster anyone knows, but I just had the biggest life changing 12 hours of my life and I have to share somewhere. My fiance just had a baby at home at 5:15 august 1st. We did not know she was pregnant. She delivered it herself. The house looks like a scene from the Walking Dead. I'm a dad and I have had no notice and holy poo poo guys we don't even have a name picked out jesus christ

spog posted:

Wait, is this a thinly disguised 'I just had sex (9 months ago)' post?

Cakefool posted:

Boy have I got some news for you then.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Didn't know she was pregnant? That must be one big girl.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

lfield posted:

Did you know that the Star Wars prequels are actually the story of oppressed slave battle droids rising up against their masters?

CD is a special place.
That's literally what happens in the films though? You don't even have to extrapolate, the droid separatists are major antagonists.

Improbable Lobster posted:

On the other hand it's ridiculous for a thread about a pop sci-fi movie on an internet comedy website to have 48 mentions of Marx or Marxism on a single page
Is it? Why?

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's a fascinating documented phenomenon of women and their partners not noticing a pregnancy not even because of weight but just because they are literally in denial. Some women also go into a state of shock and don't process that they've just had a baby, which is where stories of babies being left in toilets tend to come from. It's also very taboo (at least in the US) to insinuate somebody is pregnant if they don't first mention it (just in case they are fat, I guess?) so there is a bizarre storm of circumstances that could make this true (I don't think it is, though).

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Is it? Why?

Holy hell, I agree with Tiggum on a thing.

Close overexamination of pop cultural products is loving fun, you twats. And it occasionally produces some very interesting scholarship. I had an ex who's masters thesis was on the horrifying nature of "ownership" in fandom culture, and she used Vocaloid as her primary reference point. That rabbit hole is bug-gently caress nuts.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

There's a fascinating documented phenomenon of women and their partners not noticing a pregnancy not even because of weight but just because they are literally in denial. Some women also go into a state of shock and don't process that they've just had a baby, which is where stories of babies being left in toilets tend to come from. It's also very taboo (at least in the US) to insinuate somebody is pregnant if they don't first mention it (just in case they are fat, I guess?) so there is a bizarre storm of circumstances that could make this true (I don't think it is, though).

My cousin is so fat she didn't know she was pregnant. Twice. First time she miscarried because her body is smarter than her brain apparently, second time she literally did not know she was pregnant until like, a week before she gave birth. She later tried to kill her own baby and for two years did not refer to the kid by name. I've got nothing, just that people are hosed up.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Somfin posted:

Holy hell, I agree with Tiggum on a thing.

Close overexamination of pop cultural products is loving fun, you twats. And it occasionally produces some very interesting scholarship. I had an ex who's masters thesis was on the horrifying nature of "ownership" in fandom culture, and she used Vocaloid as her primary reference point. That rabbit hole is bug-gently caress nuts.

raise your standards for what is considered fun

content:

FCKGW posted:

a bloo bloo bloo my brain so goddamn big I sure don't like seeing bros busting their balls on swing sets it's so sad I like Hamilton the musical

Alaois has a new favorite as of 09:32 on Aug 5, 2016

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Alaois posted:

Look at this poopstain who's never gotten drunk and argued about why Andrew Ryan is is a less effective villain than Comstock

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Somfin posted:

Look at this poopstain who's never gotten drunk and argued about why Andrew Ryan is is a less effective villain than Comstock

Hahaha what is wrong with you.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Somfin posted:

you're right, i've never done that, but thank you for the self-own

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alaois posted:

Some people find things fun that you don't enjoy (but which do not negatively affect you in any way). For some reason this bothers you. Is that about the size of it?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Some people find things fun that you don't enjoy (but which do not negatively affect you in any way). For some reason this bothers you. Is that about the size of it?

it bothers me when these people come into threads i read and draw people into pages long arguments about how Zack Snyder is the greatest director since Orson Welles and if you disagree you're just some fuckin shallow nerd who can't appreciate deep readings of lovely boy's pulp movies

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Why wouldn't Marxism come up, igdi

Educate me, smart goons.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's possible for the body to just not show a bump. Maybe the baby is too close to the spine, maybe it's small. There's been numerous stories about this sort of thing over the years, and not always from fatter women. Bodies are weird and gross and they should just stop being a thing, let's all transcend our physical forms instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can you imagine if Hitler had a unibrow? I just want to know if you can.