Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Say, can anyone track down that clip from the daily show's 2008 primary coverage where the delegate counts got really close despite extreme odds and Jon stewart compared it to Luke shooting the vent on the Death Star?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Noam Chomsky posted:

If they didn't need NAFTA then why was it lobbied for? Why did the GOP push it so hard?
There is nothing resembling logic in this question, unless you literally think NAFTA's purpose was to offshore jobs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Noam Chomsky posted:

Of course he isn't actually against it. He says he is, and that's enough to get posters like you to be vehemently against it.

If you have an answer to my question feel free to post one with sources. You don't, though, so you just attack.

lol

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/761272734143934464

That does sound doable...

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

emdash posted:

i was sympathetic to your posting until this, holy poo poo. this thread would never be for Trump lmfao

I said they'd be for protectionism if Hillary was, too. I didn't say the thread would be for Trump.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

emdash posted:

i was sympathetic to your posting until this, holy poo poo. this thread would never be for Trump lmfao

I think you misread the post, I think the poster meant that the thread is so aligned with hillary that it would turn protectionist if she were the protectionist candidate

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

theflyingorc posted:

I've never been persuaded by the argument that it's better to keep American jobs than it is to give Mexicans jobs.

Yes, the jobs they get are lower paid and have less worker rights than American equivalents, but the improvement of the Mexican worker's life against the harm to the American worker's life seems, to me, to overwhelmingly cause a net good.

(there are of course exceptions if the company is being radically unethical)
it also is a scenario in which the concept of trickle down economics may actually be valuable because of diminishing returns to quality of life after a certain point.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They really think he's "uppity" and "smug" and that he "doesn't know his place" and "thinks he's better than me" but those terms tend to reflect poorly on the accuser.
Yeah, absolutely.
This kind of slipped from the national consciousness since Starbucks became a behemoth, but for a time in the 90s -- those bygone golden days when Coffee Shops were like beatnik bookstores and hosted round the clock Open Mic Poetry nights -- the term Latte Liberal was a pejorative. Same idea.

I'll remind everyone that this was the president who had an angry white cracker shout "YOU LIE" during the loving state of the union address.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

There is nothing resembling logic in this question, unless you literally think NAFTA's purpose was to offshore jobs

You don't think part of NAFTA's purpose was to make offshoring easier so that corporations could get access to cheaper labor and new markets?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

I've never been persuaded by the argument that it's better to keep American jobs than it is to give Mexicans jobs.

Yes, the jobs they get are lower paid and have less worker rights than American equivalents, but the improvement of the Mexican worker's life against the harm to the American worker's life seems, to me, to overwhelmingly cause a net good.

the same is true of the many industries propped up by domestic illegal labor (construction, agriculture, foodservice, landscaping)

protectionism would be building a wall and deporting undocumented persons, or penalizing businesses who employ them. or you can reform the social safety net and immigration instead of trying to ban things

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I'm going to be thoroughly disappointed if one of them doesn't refer to the other as his brother from another mother before Hillary is sworn in.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I think you misread the post, I think the poster meant that the thread is so aligned with hillary that it would turn protectionist if she were the protectionist candidate

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Trade deals in general almost always favor large corporations instead of the interests of a country's populace. NAFTA is no different. Global trade is also kind of a bad thing if you care about climate change because moving large amounts of goods all over the place is a pretty nasty process as far as carbon goes.

This is also a true thing. Hillary's true believers in this thread are some of the most outspoken posters, its pretty crazy. Hillary and the Democratic party can do no harm. Please don't talk bad about them or their 'progressive' policies.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Noam Chomsky posted:

I said they'd be for protectionism if Hillary was, too. I didn't say the thread would be for Trump.

Historically protectionism is dumb though, both from an economic standpoint and a geopolitical standpoint.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

the thing that gets me here is that protectionism also requires the elite to sacrifice their wealth. In fact, because of the way that free trade boosts the wealth of all nations assuming that we maintain the same standard of living for poor people through redistribution, protectionism actually requires the elite to sacrifice more wealth than free trade combined with the social safety net. So it seems weird to treat the absence of a social safety net as more inveitable than the TPP, when I think it's acutally the other way around.

To be fair, there are plenty of wealth redistributive policies out there that would benefit the wealthy overall, but they still oppose them because human beings aren't always rational actors.

Plenty of business owners view wealth redistribution as giving their hard-earned money away to people that didn't earn it, rather than the community making a calculated investment designed to increase the purchasing power of their customers.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

if your argument hinges on your opponents being in the bag for a candidate you don't personally like then your argument is poo poo

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
True, but I think there's are many valid reasons for not just finding the one place on earth that can do X the cheapest and move all X production there. It's nice to keep some variety not only as a hedge against trade issues but also because life is better when there's more diversity and options for what people can do. Difficult to find that balance, to be sure.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

evil_bunnY posted:

Sources?

You can sign trade agreements that include labor protection clauses. There are some in TPP (between US and Bahrain of all places IIRC), they're just completely minimal.

For which part? For warfare look at how the European Powers acted in the Far East.

For totally stopping outsourcing? You would have to close the borders.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

For the record, I am not pro-TPP, I'm simply against dumb protesters who shout "NO TPP!" yet couldn't tell you anything about what the TPP actually does.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SCOTUS blocked the implementation of the Obama transgender bathroom order on a 5-3?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Reason posted:

Trade deals in general almost always favor large corporations instead of the interests of a country's populace. NAFTA is no different. Global trade is also kind of a bad thing if you care about climate change because moving large amounts of goods all over the place is a pretty nasty process as far as carbon goes.

but it doesn't have to be that way, because trade deals aren't mutually exclusive with carbon taxes and social safety nets

A Winner is Jew posted:

Historically protectionism is dumb though, both from an economic standpoint and a geopolitical standpoint.

protectionism is the economic equivalent of red pill guys who try to avoid cumming because they worry about surrendering their life force over to the woman

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Of course he isn't actually against it. He says he is, and that's enough to get posters like you to be vehemently against it.

This is categorically wrong.

Noam Chomsky posted:

If you have an answer to my question feel free to post one with sources. You don't, though, so you just attack.

:ironicat: but also, I already told you why your question is flawed.

You're trying to make a connection that BECAUSE PEOPLE LOBBIED FOR IT means that the OUTCOME THAT HAPPENED would not have happened otherwise, which is really flawed logic.

As was already posted, there was already a decline in manufacturing occurring owing to changes in the global economy and in manufacturing in general (like greater automation). It's possible that the number of manufacturing jobs wouldn't have gone down by the same amount if NAFTA hadn't passed, but it's impossible and wrong to say that it wouldn't have gone down at all if NAFTA hadn't passed.

So not only are you making dumb, unhelpful to your cause assertions about the motivations of posters ITT, but you're also making dumb leap of logic questions/statements that are easily refuted and then screaming about how we're not paying attention to you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

theflyingorc posted:

There's also less environmental regulation, in addition to the myriad stories about horrific working conditions, the ability for companies to literally up and leave one weekend, and violence against women that brews in the area of maquiladoras.

Yes, it's absolutely better than selling chiclets on the side of the road. That doesn't change the fact that some of these jobs cause terrible side-effects. The counter-argument is that, if we are to engage in that kind of offshoring, we should ensure that the organizations that benefit from this do their best to raise working conditions to a more humane/equitable/healthy standard.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Noam Chomsky posted:

If anyone ITT had a real answer to my question they'd just post it.

Instead they are claiming corporations would offshore jobs anyway because the government doesn't exist.

If they didn't need NAFTA then why was it lobbied for? Why did the GOP push it so hard?

Trump is for protectionism. Hillary used to support the TPP, and she will probably sign it once she's in office. Hence, this thread is anti-protectionism and for the TPP. If the candidates support were flipped - if Trump was pro-TPP and Hillary was for protectionism - then this thread would follow suit.

I'd assume, but I wasn't paying attention in 1994, that the lobby in favor of NAFTA represented interests that knew how to profit off of trade, and saw the opportunity to increase their profits by increasing trade. Integrating economies increases trade, seems straightforward to me.

Edit: holy gently caress this thread moves fast. I have to either start putting shitposters on ignore or just stop reading d&d

Hermsgervørden fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 4, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty typical array of posters - PTD, Zoux, BI NOW GAY LATER, a few others - that come out hard for: trade agreements, anything Hillary related, the DNC, and against anyone who talks too mean about Republicans.

I wonder why.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Noam Chomsky posted:

this doesn't really help. D&D has never been the hivemind of which people like to draw rhetorical caricatures. There were plenty of Sanders supporters, months back, saying things like "well the TPP opposition is dumb, but I still prefer Bernie"

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

UV_Catastrophe posted:

To be fair, there are plenty of wealth redistributive policies out there that would benefit the wealthy overall, but they still oppose them because human beings aren't always rational actors.

Plenty of business owners view wealth redistribution as giving their hard-earned money away to people that didn't earn it, rather than the community making a calculated investment designed to increase the purchasing power of their customers.

Fair enough, but the point stands that it's really weird when people act like standing in the way of TPP is easier or better than creating a social safety net

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trabisnikof posted:

SCOTUS blocked the implementation of the Obama transgender bathroom order on a 5-3?

I thought they weren't taking this case until the next session? When did they do this? :smith:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Pretty typical array of posters - PTD, Zoux, BI NOW GAY LATER, a few others - that come out hard for: trade agreements, anything Hillary related, the DNC, and against anyone who talks too mean about Republicans.

I wonder why.

lol

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
hey poster noam chomsky, what is your question

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Noam Chomsky posted:

I wonder why.

because you're whiny, and a bad poster who is committed to forcing through a logically flawed argument because of your own personal biases and you'd rather blame people you see as villans rather than reflect upon your own positions

maybe, could it be possible, in theory, perhaps, that you are... wrong? is that even possible? have you been wrong before?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

straight up brolic posted:

it also is a scenario in which the concept of trickle down economics may actually be valuable because of diminishing returns to quality of life after a certain point.

Yeah, that's a big part of it. If we took somebody's yearly salary from $5,000 a year to $10,000 a year VS a person in the US had to sell their house because they lost a job, our instinct is to think how horrible it is that the person lost their house. But the person who went from "crushing poverty" to "merely poverty" has had his life radically transformed, whereas it is sad that a person lost their house but their day-to-day living might be nearly identical.

I'm obviously just making numbers up off the top of my head, so don't take this as a real example.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

me, in the last thread: "i really hate how democrats pretend to be against free trade every four years and i think it's a dumb rhetorical dance."

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Noam Chomsky posted:

I wonder why.

Would you like some nails for your cross? I'll even make sure they're American Made.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I thought they weren't taking this case until the next session? When did they do this? :smith:

Looks like just now, staying the order until they hear it next session

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/04/488683938/high-court-temporarily-blocks-transgender-student-from-using-male-bathroom

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Noam Chomsky posted:

You don't think part of NAFTA's purpose was to make offshoring easier so that corporations could get access to cheaper labor and new markets?

Are you aware of the concept of comparative advantage and David Ricardo's work on trade?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_advantage

quote:

In a famous example, Ricardo considers a world economy consisting of two countries, Portugal and England, which produce two goods of identical quality. In Portugal, the a priori more efficient country, it is possible to produce wine and cloth with less labor than it would take to produce the same quantities in England. However, the relative costs of producing those two goods differ between the countries.

Hours of work necessary to produce one unit
Country Cloth Wine
England 100 120
Portugal 90 80

In this illustration, England could commit 100 hours of labor to produce one unit of cloth, or produce 5/6 units of wine. Meanwhile, in comparison, Portugal could commit 90 hours of labor to produce one unit of cloth, or produce 9/8 units of wine. So, Portugal possesses an absolute advantage in producing cloth due to fewer labor hours, and England has a comparative advantage due to lower opportunity cost.

In the absence of trade, England requires 220 hours of work to both produce and consume one unit each of cloth and wine while Portugal requires 170 hours of work to produce and consume the same quantities. England is more efficient at producing cloth than wine, and Portugal is more efficient at producing wine than cloth. So, if each country specializes in the good for which it has a comparative advantage, then the global production of both goods increases, for England can spend 220 labor hours to produce 2.2 units of cloth while Portugal can spend 170 hours to produce 2.125 units of wine. Moreover, if both countries specialize in the above manner and England trades a unit of its cloth for 5/6 to 9/8 units of Portugal's wine, then both countries can consume at least a unit each of cloth and wine, with 0 to 0.2 units of cloth and 0 to 0.125 units of wine remaining in each respective country to be consumed or exported. Consequently, both England and Portugal can consume more wine and cloth under free trade than in autarky.

No one is nefariously trying to run people out of jobs; they're trying to make sure America focuses on the industries in which we have a comparative labor advantage. That is not low-skills manufacturing. All that NAFTA did was make the transition go faster by making it easier to procure goods made outside of America. Goods that the other countries happened to have a comparative advantage in.

Free trade benefits everyone on the aggregate.

This is basic, Econ 101 kind of stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm a paid globalist shill, myself.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Noam Chomsky posted:

I wonder why.

They're all secret republicans. I mean you got em dead to rights here with this logic.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

the liberal something awful media never gave trump a chance

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Tulsi Gabbard is voting for Hillary

https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/761185514871525376

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lightning Knight posted:

I heard something about Breyer siding with the conservatives so that they could re-examine the case, and something about this particular ruling keeping the prior court's decision from doing something. Can't remember the specifics.

Oh, here's what CNN said about it:

quote:

Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan would have left the lower court decision undisturbed. It took five justices to act, and Justice Stephen Breyer wrote separately to say that he concurred in the decision in part because granting the stay would "preserve the status quo" until the court has a chance to consider a petition for cert. "I vote to grant the application as a courtesy," Breyer wrote.

• Locked thread