Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Well the writers did kind of write themselves into a ...thingy.
Now Crossbell and Erebonia, those are...different stories, to say the least. Whether or not they are better or worse is another thing.
I do agree that Cassius really didn't have any/much screentime and even less action.
Now if only they could rectify that, but honestly, that doesn't seem possible barring some...drastic changes in the plot or so.

The nature of the writing (probably anyway) is that the newer games can easily talk and say "hey have you heard of this cassius from liberl" or something, but Sky itself can't exactly compare Cassius to the others. It is kind of odd (though I don't really recall the list of people who mention Cassius that much, but eh...), but understandable that Cassius is a pretty big thing in Liberl, and even outside of it.

Sky Third: In my opinion, Cassius is criminally underpowered, but what could be said. Most solo bosses can't really do much that is....

MisawaMahoKodomo fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, Victor was talking about Master Yun-KaFai. Also, Cassius is a former Divine Blade, mind you. He dropped the sword after his first retirement from the military and casually mastered the staff instead, which he taught Estelle. Cassius is pretty drat ridiculous, and that's why Ourborous don't want him in Liberl.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Levantine posted:

Was it Cassius? I thought it was Rean's master and Victor that dueled to a standstill.

Yeah, I think it was master Kafei. It isn't stated whether Cassius and Victor ever met. I don't believe they have, even though they've heard of each other.

Most of what Cassius does is behind the scenes. Especially in SC where he spends most of the time planning and organizing stuff. (though as shown (SC spoiler) by the fact that he requests the construction of the Zero Field Generators several chapters before the unsealing of the Aureole, stations Richard and his division near Grancel in preparation for an attack and helps plan the final maneuver to outwit Weissmann shows he has a very real knack for reading ahead. The physical stuff is less emphasized. There's him saving Estelle at the Esmelas Tower in FC's prologue, that practice session in SC and beating down Reverie, which looks a lot more badass in the extended scene you get when your BP is low.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
We can all agree that Cassius has a dumb mustache.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Overbite posted:

reported

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

how can he be the liberl army's great dandy without a mustache

chekcmate

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Overbite posted:

What the gently caress

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Overbite posted:

hosed up if true.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Estelle's description of it is "suspicious".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

But he's supposed to be tell and not show, because Trails in the Sky is Estelle's story, not his. He had his story. He had dozens of stories and TitS is not one of them.
Unfortunately, TiTS is the story we played.

I think just a single early-game quest where you get to see level 80 Cassius oneshot some random monster in battle would do a lot to improve the situation there.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

I think just a single early-game quest where you get to see level 80 Cassius oneshot some random monster in battle would do a lot to improve the situation there.

FC already has one of those though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Really Pants posted:

FC already has one of those though
i meant in actual in-game combat, unless im drastically misremembering

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Endorph posted:

Unfortunately, TiTS is the story we played.

Right, we played Estelle's story, in which Cassius is a background character. Why are we mad about a character who's meant to be a background character actually being a background character?

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Erpy posted:

Yeah, I think it was master Kafei. It isn't stated whether Cassius and Victor ever met. I don't believe they have, even though they've heard of each other.

Most of what Cassius does is behind the scenes. Especially in SC where he spends most of the time planning and organizing stuff. (though as shown (SC spoiler) by the fact that he requests the construction of the Zero Field Generators several chapters before the unsealing of the Aureole, stations Richard and his division near Grancel in preparation for an attack and helps plan the final maneuver to outwit Weissmann shows he has a very real knack for reading ahead. The physical stuff is less emphasized. There's him saving Estelle at the Esmelas Tower in FC's prologue, that practice session in SC and beating down Reverie, which looks a lot more badass in the extended scene you get when your BP is low.

I love that scene, 3 Ouroboros Enforcers (plus their archaisms) tearing apart the Royal Army and Royal Guardsman's divisions like they were nothing but the prospect of fighting two of Cassius' strongest students made them back off and cancel their invasion.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wasn't it four Enforcers?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, there were four of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Right, we played Estelle's story, in which Cassius is a background character. Why are we mad about a character who's meant to be a background character actually being a background character?

because he is also important to the plot, especially in FC, and there is a lot of importance placed on his skill, but you rarely get to see that skill in action

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
CS gameplay is way better and difficult in a better way than FC/SC but that's also a super unfair comparison from the beginning since CS was designed with a nightmare mode in mind whereas FC/SC were not at all. Battle pacing is also greatly improved by a skip animation button and the closest you can get on FC/SC is using cheatengine to hotkey a fast forward. Vita gets shafted either way since I've heard people joke that CS's skip button is sometimes slower than the animation there and there's no solution to FC/SC.

Plot/character wise I imagine it's largely on taste, though people are definitely too quick to place Rean into a smaller box than he deserves. Or to compare to SC or I guess Ao rather than FC or Zero. You also need to give FC some slack for at least some of its pacing since it by necessity takes the most time introducing you to the world, time that is largely abridged in later titles. Just more generally, the later titles have the advantage of abridging anything that they can to at least an extent rely on the earlier titles to have communicated in more detail. In CS that would be archaisms and the organization, for the most part. Maybe Jaegers as well, though I feel like they went back over enough of it and the only thing left out might've been the bracer-related stuff.

I personally like the CS plot and pace more than the FC plot and pace even with that in mind--you actually get into fights with some of the real antagonists and see real glimpses of others rather than have all but one shoved into the second game--though the reasons I like CS more could also be reasons to like FC more. FC was definitely more low-key, both due to it being a silent take-over from the inside versus active terrorist attacks and the party power levels allowing for different levels of involvement. Rean, Laura, Fie, and Gaius are just stronger and more experienced than Estelle was at the beginning of her journey and I'd argue that even the weakest "this is a stronger party member to help you take down this stronger enemy" helper, Angelica, is stronger than Agate or Schera were in FC to say nothing of Niethardt or Sara. On the flip-side that means less of the CS cast has room to really grow in ability between and during games. A lot of FC/SC is Estelle's growth in both ability and character from somebody who would've failed even the junior bracer test if not for Joshua's help to somebody who can, by canon, reached all the way up to B-rank through her own ability and CS won't really have that sort of story at least not to that extent--the closest it's likely to have is Elliot's story. Characters like Sara or Niethardt won't really grow at all I don't think compared to Agate or Schera who still went up a rank between games and grew during as well.

For more comparisons, I enjoyed the old schoolhouse more than the towers though I guess one point for the towers would be that they were technically optional in most of FC. I also enjoyed the "mythology" more. Stuff like reading about the setting's myths and legends and then fighting them is really neat to me compared to FC mainly just having the towers and some small hints at what SC would be getting into there. Though on the other hand I'd be somewhat hard-pressed to argue against complaints of "how did the party defeat half of those things" without heavy head-canoning since the game itself doesn't offer any concrete justifications--it'd mostly be stuff you'd have to make up for yourself like the flute only working to a certain extent or the lich being stronger within the orb itself, which was shattered by an outside force before it could drag the party into it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
All this talk is just making me want Cold Steel 2 more.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Been replaying the game on nightmare for the Plat and to hype myself up for 2 and holy moly is the Nord Highlands bad.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Part of the reason why, I feel, is that Cold Steel is designed quite differently.
Though I admit it is quite a bit unfair to compare just CS1 to FC+SC and Zero+Azure.
While it's still pretty early, CS3 would probably be a pretty big game changer as well (though they kind of all are)
Honestly it's a bit hard to say, and I wouldn't be surprised if I was being biased or something, but I get the feeling that most of the character development took place in CS1, while for Sky they kind of spread it out between the two games. In fact, I think some characters got more development in SC than FC...though you could say that's just a natural thing.
Not so sure about Crossbell though.
Of course, CS2 isn't out yet, so maybe I'm wrong (there's only so much you can tell without actually seeing the entire game, and even then, for me at least, information tends to leak out)

There's also things like, NPC dialogue and things like the notebook, though they are probably less influential.
(I at least read the newspaper, I guess)

In CS1, from a certain perspective, it does seem that the characters have a more balanced power level, so to speak (it helps that strength in numbers, and "lol arcus" but bleh)

MisawaMahoKodomo fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 5, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

Been replaying the game on nightmare for the Plat and to hype myself up for 2 and holy moly is the Nord Highlands bad.

Good god, look at this wrong opinion.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Some Numbers posted:

Good god, look at this wrong opinion.

It's huge and empty as gently caress, with like, 3 notable landmarks. You have to go back and forth through it an interminable amount of times to get all the AP and that one book chapter. It's a complete momentum killer. Chapter 3 itself is cool and has a lot of fun character/plot movements but everytime i have to take a horse out into the twilight princess tier highlands I'm just like "well here's half an hour im not getting back."

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Not sure if people have timed how long it takes to travel, but I'd say it'd be nice if they increased the speed in CS2.
..........I'm not the most reliable source, but I don't think they did....
Now I don't recall if they added quick travel in CS2 for Nord though.
Spending a few hours just traveling from place to place is rather tedious though, I dunno.....

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The Nord plains are good and I think it's good they take the time to slow the gameplay down for a bit. It's bad for speed running but it's good for the game. Grinding max AP is going to be a chore no matter what if that's the route you decide to go, anyway.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, it's actually super quick if you ignore max AP and the books. It also helps if you just care about max AP and books rather than seeing every scene or opening every chest, since you get scenes for going to each of the areas/landmarks before prompted. NPC dialogue also changes at various points, if you take the time to travel everywhere always. That mostly just gets you the story of the army investigating monsters likely stirred up by G and their suspicions about it, some of the story behind the 3rd Division's re-location away from Liberl's borders and how they feel about their commander and the decision he made in SC and some more dialogue between and about the soldiers who will end up dying at the watchtower . Going to the ruins early gets you some Gaius stuff that will likely be more important in CS2.

NG+ will always feel worse than NG on the plains due to probably not fighting any enemies as well--that makes them feel even emptier whereas I'd argue that for a NG all of the backtracking just lines up more enemies you probably want exp/sepith from into your direct path without actually making you go out of your way to grind. Same for the chests which you hopefully shouldn't need to go out of your way to open on a NG+.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Is there anywhere that keeps track of which chests you've opened in Cold Steel? I was slightly irritated to finish without getting the achievement with seemingly no way to know what I missed.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nope. Just gotta use that Detection quartz from the light bulb quest in Celdic.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gato posted:

Is there anywhere that keeps track of which chests you've opened in Cold Steel? I was slightly irritated to finish without getting the achievement with seemingly no way to know what I missed.

I missed it twice.

I'm going to try really really really hard to not miss it in the LP.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, you pretty much just want to use detection if you're not the sort to explore every corner anyway. The gotchas there would be changes in height on the map not always showing chests clearly. I guess it's also possible to miss wings of the fortress entirely. I don't think it's really a game that wants a checklist compared to the previous titles that loved to mess with camera angles ala tales of symphonia treasure hunter trolling, but if you were going to look at one for any area the fortress stands out. Maybe the mines had areas you could've skipped entirely too?

If you're going for achievements in general should probably bring up that another gotcha is the enemy data trophy. You can't have any ? anywhere, including the unbalance data or enemy drops. A lot of people miss random encounters having a ? in the unbalance data when trying to go for it on NG+ and then need a NG++ for it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I thought I scoured the areas pretty thoroughly, but I could easily be wrong.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Decus posted:

Yeah, you pretty much just want to use detection if you're not the sort to explore every corner anyway. The gotchas there would be changes in height on the map not always showing chests clearly. I guess it's also possible to miss wings of the fortress entirely. I don't think it's really a game that wants a checklist compared to the previous titles that loved to mess with camera angles ala tales of symphonia treasure hunter trolling, but if you were going to look at one for any area the fortress stands out. Maybe the mines had areas you could've skipped entirely too?

If you're going for achievements in general should probably bring up that another gotcha is the enemy data trophy. You can't have any ? anywhere, including the unbalance data or enemy drops. A lot of people miss random encounters having a ? in the unbalance data when trying to go for it on NG+ and then need a NG++ for it.

I had to NG++ for enemy data. I thought I missed a panda in the park, but it turns out I also missed a chapter 6 enemy's unbalance data. Since my NG+ endgame save is import-perfect, I ended up speed running to chapter 6 in like 5 hours, skipped everything of note to do it. That was my Platinum.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Doesn't scanning the enemy with a Battle Scope, using Detector, or Analysis get you everything right off the bat?

Finished up chapter 5. Did they just seriously kill off a major villain offscreen? :geno:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 6, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Doesn't scanning the enemy with a Battle Scope, using Detector, or Analysis get you everything right off the bat?

Finished up chapter 5. Did they just seriously kill off a major villain offscreen? :geno:

It does, but on a NG you probably aren't trying for any trophies really and then on a NG+ you're probably just scanning through for a list of enemies you do want to use a battle scope/analysis on and it's easy to miss the ? in the unbalance section if you're not looking for it or don't think it matters. For me it was actually 1st floor schoolhouse enemies that were missing it.

Presumably it would have been on-screen for another of their games we haven't gotten yet. Could be wrong on that, but that's the impression I got for anything in Crossbell. Technically, what would have been a lot of major plot-points even for CS happen off-screen in that they happen in Crossbell and thus probably one of the games that take place there.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's on screen in Ao

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yes it does, I just forgot to do it a couple times like a ninny and paid the price. All told my platinum took me a little over 100 hours, but would have taken less if I didn't do the NG++

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Decus posted:

It does, but on a NG you probably aren't trying for any trophies really and then on a NG+ you're probably just scanning through for a list of enemies you do want to use a battle scope/analysis on and it's easy to miss the ? in the unbalance section if you're not looking for it or don't think it matters. For me it was actually 1st floor schoolhouse enemies that were missing it.

Presumably it would have been on-screen for another of their games we haven't gotten yet. Could be wrong on that, but that's the impression I got for anything in Crossbell. Technically, what would have been a lot of major plot-points even for CS happen off-screen in that they happen in Crossbell and thus probably one of the games that take place there.

ssmagus posted:

It's on screen in Ao

Ah, I see.

Is there a chance that those games will get released outside of Japan? What with us getting Cold Steel first instead and all.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's not a sure thing but there's definitely a chance. they did cold steel first since they're for aging platforms and falcom asked them to.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Assuming CS2 and Sky 3rd do well, and given the window for CS3 is still extremely far away, there's no reason for them not to devote time to Zero and Ao. Any fears about the chinese pc version of Ao are dumbfounded to me because Sara will just have her way with it and churn out gold like she always does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

Assuming CS2 and Sky 3rd do well, and given the window for CS3 is still extremely far away, there's no reason for them not to devote time to Zero and Ao. Any fears about the chinese pc version of Ao are dumbfounded to me because Sara will just have her way with it and churn out gold like she always does.

:confused: Does someone mind elaborating on that? I'm not sure what you mean there.