Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
does five thirty eight dot com do a senate forecast? i like their aggregate model because their results agree with my preconceived notions about how the election should be going and i'd like to know what the exact prospects for senate control are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I don't know if it's the lighting but his hair looks even worse than usual.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DolphinCop posted:

i like their aggregate model because their results agree with my preconceived notions about how the election should be going a

uh probably not the best metric

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

axeil posted:

Touche.

The point is, I really like global trade (in addition to the comparative advantage bit), because it also helps us not blow each other up. If old enemies can become, if not quite friends, than at least cooperatives in a generation, it helps prove how trade can keep the world a safer place.

I was being a bit dickish - it is actually super cool. I'm super excited about improved relations with Cuba, too.

Trade-as-anti-war is great, too.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not only that, but medical and dental.

okay cool I'm in. I've just been giving this shill away. Do I have to read all of the posts though? For real that might be a deal killer.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Also, if that company's competitors also do it, the price goes down, and a lot of the "money made" ends up being "millions of consumers pay a dollar less" or whatever. Tiny benefits individually, and even if they add up they're certainly not shareable to the few people who suffer comparatively catastrophic job losses.

Those benefits can be shared by raising taxes (such that millions of consumers have a little less money) and spending the revenue on giving incomes or education to the unemployed

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

DolphinCop posted:

does five thirty eight dot com do a senate forecast? i like their aggregate model because their results agree with my preconceived notions about how the election should be going and i'd like to know what the exact prospects for senate control are

not right now (too little polling going on), but I think that they said they will once the races heat up and there are more polls

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Also, here's a fun one - if you scroll down on the NowCast:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/#now

There are TEN states that don't have a Democratic victory within margin of error - and that's it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

radical meme posted:

That is quite possibly the most contorted interpretation of what happened that I've seen yet, so I'm assuming it's sarcasm.

I hope everyone realizes that these were not Obama orders. The administration issued guidelines interpreting Title IX requirements as applied to gender preference. As well intentioned as they were, they went against existing legal precedent; gender preference has never been held to be a protected class. Sexual orientation is not even a protected class. It's entirely possible that the current 8 person Supreme Court could decide unanimously to uphold existing precedent, rejecting the guidelines.

Other than your anger about my use of Obama as a metonymy, what was contorted about what I said exactly?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DolphinCop posted:

Well, Dems are poised to pick up a seat here in Wisconsin if Feingold keeps dancing all over Johnson in the polls.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Hermsgervørden posted:

Is there a resume help thread? I'm trying to format this application to the D&D hivemind. Also do globalist shills get a 401k?

No application necessary. All you have to do is assign imaginary motives, and even statements, to posters who say anything contrary to what's acceptable in mainstream political discourse. Remember, all trade agreements are good, trickle down will work, and we don't need to protect American jobs, at all, because we'll be getting UBI any day now.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Traveller posted:

I don't know if it's the lighting but his hair looks even worse than usual.

uh probably not the best metric

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Those benefits can be shared by raising taxes (such that millions of consumers have a little less money) and spending the revenue on giving incomes or education to the unemployed

Would you say the benefits will... trickle down?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

not right now (too little polling going on), but I think that they said they will once the races heat up and there are more polls

New american economy should be based around increasing the amount of political polling being conducted.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

No application necessary. All you have to do is assign imaginary motives, and even statements, to posters who say anything contrary to what's acceptable in mainstream political discourse. Remember, all trade agreements are good, trickle down will work, and we don't need to protect American jobs, at all, because we'll be getting UBI any day now.

Lol yes tell us more about people assigning imaginary motives to statements :allears:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Noam Chomsky posted:

No application necessary. All you have to do is assign imaginary motives, and even statements, to posters who say anything contrary to what's acceptable in mainstream political discourse.

:ironicat:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I gotta admit I am kind of selfishly all for expanded global trade because I figured it was inevitable in college and got in on a job market that profits from it.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

I tuned in just long enough to confirm he's still talking about Obama paying Iran a 400k ( I thought it was 400 million) ransom in small unmarked bills from multiple countries.

Good.

Proceed, Trumpernor.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Also, here's a fun one - if you scroll down on the NowCast:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/#now

There are TEN states that don't have a Democratic victory within margin of error - and that's it.

Technically 9, unless you're counting Nebraska's 2 districts as 2 different states.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Noam Chomsky posted:

Don't be deceptive. 'Trickle down' economics do not involve taxes. Levying taxes on the people who reap the largesse of trade deals and turning those taxes in to social service is not trickle-down but shake-down economics.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Noam Chomsky posted:

Holy poo poo, how did you get the job as hiring manager for the hive mind?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

DolphinCop posted:

http://election.princeton.edu/todays-senate-seat-count-histogram/

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hermsgervørden posted:

Holy poo poo, how did you get the job as hiring manager for the hive mind?

Consume the previous one and gain his strength

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I don't know anything about TPP's specifics, but it's really weird to read people who are normally leftist-seeming talking about how thin profit margins are, how a situation will ~probably be somewhere in between~ helping small business and helping the richest capital owners, and how if you loosen up restrictions on corporations and let markets run free it'll work out better for everyone.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Noam Chomsky posted:

No, not at all.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

'Trickle down' economics do not involve taxes. Levying taxes on the people who reap the largesse of trade deals and turning those taxes in to social service is not trickle-down but shake-down economics.

Except I don't like the negative connotations of the term "shake-down"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ditocoaf posted:

I don't know anything about TPP's specifics, but it's really weird to read people who are normally leftist-seeming talking about how thin profit margins are, how a situation will ~probably be somewhere in between~ helping small business and helping the richest capital owners, and how if you loosen up restrictions on corporations and let markets run free it'll work out better for everyone.

Aw did we mis-signal our virtue again, oops.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Don't be deceptive. 'Trickle down' economics do not involve taxes. Levying taxes on the people who reap the largesse of trade deals and turning those taxes in to social service is not trickle-down but shake-down economics.

It's a good thing the US is so well known for taxing high income earners and using that additional money to provide social safety nets for the poor, otherwise this could be a big mess!

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I gotta admit I am kind of selfishly all for expanded global trade because I figured it was inevitable in college and got in on a job market that profits from it.

Free trade is great for a lot of people. My only original point was that I don't blame people for souring on it after a lot of manufacturing jobs have been lost to offshoring and even if NAFTA was not the direct cause of that, the two are linked in many people's minds. I get that nobody care what the average voter thinks, for some reason, but my post that kicked off so many posters vitriolic idiocy was just pointing that out.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

BiohazrD posted:

It's a good thing the US is so well known for taxing high income earners and using that additional money to provide social safety nets for the poor, otherwise this could be a big mess!

Taxing high income earners and creating social safety nets is politically difficult, but not nearly as much as preventing trade from happening

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

axeil posted:

Oh poo poo they found me! Quick run! Please don't send me to C-SPAM! :ohdear:

Yo C-SPAM owns, you can call sometime an idiot and not have to post walls of pedantic Aristotelean logic proofs to back it up.

I mean it makes for lovely discourse but good comedy

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Taxing high income earners and creating social safety nets is politically difficult, but not nearly as much as preventing trade from happening

So just say gently caress it and give a handout to big business then?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ditocoaf posted:

Did I miss a "They Live"-esque filter for this thread?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Like we'll ever have a government again that will raise taxes by an appreciable amount. Taxes bad, cut cut cut forever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know anything about what you are talking about, but you aren't saying the right liberal sounding words.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BiohazrD posted:

:yeah:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Noam Chomsky posted:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am glad this has expanded from the DNC thread

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

BiohazrD posted:

no, we shouldn't do that, we should demand that big businesses give their money to poor people. this would make trade, an inevitable part of the 21st century economy, into a completely good thing

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If Trump tries to bring up the Iran thing in debates it will backfire so hard.

"That payment was a result of an ongoing court case from over three decades ago. America fulfills its debt obligations. This is a concept Mr Trump may not be familiar with."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

lol i'm not the one hammering on one poster because he dared to say that he can see why free trade is not popular with many americans

also i love me some salt

• Locked thread