Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Koesj posted:

But you're building cities for 200k cims tops and probably laying around multi-laned avenues and all kinds of fancy freeways. Why not arbitrarily limit yourself and go for either a different kind of urban planning (more European maybe?), having house rules on what kinds of roads you'll allow yourself to use, have a minimum amount of PT coverage/ridership, etc. I know it's hackneyed, but hey, bonsai for nerds.

I actually limit myself by playing on maps with rougher terrain. I really got into a Monaco map a few months ago because it was a really good challenge to build on.

Plus maps with mountains look cooler anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

Has there been any noise from the devs recently about when the next update will be or what their plans are? I assume the answer is no but I figure it's easier to ask here than go spelunking on Reddit.

I was informed by my girlfriend (who is Finnish) that basically absolutely nobody works in Finland through the July/August period, so I'm guessing they're not in.

I swam in a lake while I was over there. It was cold.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Is Hydraulic Press guy having a break as well?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Do passenger trains have a practical use compared to subway? Money is hardly an issue in C:S and I think cost was the only benefit trains have. But trains look cooler than subways in general :shobon:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Avocados posted:

Do passenger trains have a practical use compared to subway? Money is hardly an issue in C:S and I think cost was the only benefit trains have. But trains look cooler than subways in general :shobon:
It think its been brushed upon in different mods, but in vanilla you are actively discouraged from using trains as a local transport option because cim preferences are set assuming its the sort of thing you ride to get out of town. So where cims will actively go out of their way to ride buses, trams, and subways, they will actively avoid commuter train lines.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I installed a whole bunch of mods now that I'm getting back into the game, and the quality improvements some bring is amazing. I always toyed with the idea of a city where there's no private traffic (all pedestrian, service and public) and I think it might be possible. Got some vehicle assets and that one mod that lets you do more customization on public transport lines. I'll also probably say gently caress it and just use an unlock all mod and unlimited money, this time around. The real game is the traffic/city layout anyways.

Unrelated, how do people feel about rush hour? It sounds like it has good ideas but also it does some pretty big changes and sometimes that doesn't go well with mods in practice.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Police Automaton posted:

I installed a whole bunch of mods now that I'm getting back into the game, and the quality improvements some bring is amazing. I always toyed with the idea of a city where there's no private traffic (all pedestrian, service and public) and I think it might be possible. Got some vehicle assets and that one mod that lets you do more customization on public transport lines. I'll also probably say gently caress it and just use an unlock all mod and unlimited money, this time around. The real game is the traffic/city layout anyways.

Unrelated, how do people feel about rush hour? It sounds like it has good ideas but also it does some pretty big changes and sometimes that doesn't go well with mods in practice.

I'd say that Rush Hour is a must have mod. It makes the traffic simulation more difficult and, if you have After Dark, makes tourism actually meaningful. I think it increases the number of tourists that come into your city on top of making leisure buildings work as hotels, so if a tourist can reach one they'll spend the night and more time in your city instead of leaving. This also means that taxis suddenly have a purpose, as tourists really love them. With Rush Hour you can also shut down a lot of your public transportation at night and let taxis take up the slack.

If you're interested in more difficult/interesting traffic simulation grab Citizen Lifecycle Rebalance and Realistic Population and Consumption.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=654707599
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=426163185

The Lifecycle Rebalance makes it so that low density cims greatly favor driving over biking/taxis, while high density cims will bike more often and take a taxi almost as much as they drive. Younger cims will bike more often, while senior cims will prefer driving or taxis. High wealth cims will also prefer driving more than low wealth cims. It also randomizes the age and education level which cims immigrate with so you don't run into death waves for zoning too quickly.

The Realistic Population mod readjusts the game so that low density homes are single or double households (depending on the model of the house) as opposed to multiple families in vanilla. High density buildings, commercial buildings, and industrial buildings have their stats determined by the volume of their build box and house many more residents and jobs by default. Some larger assets can have hundreds of residents or jobs provided by them. It also touches on commercial in some ways that may conflict with Rush Hour, but I haven't noticed any problems there. It's also compatible with the plopable rico mod.

Together the mods make built up urban centers a lot more congested, while in comparison the now lower population low density residential will drive a lot more to keep up road traffic. These two mods with Rush Hour are pretty great, you get serious congestion during the morning and evening commute. The values for Realistic Population and the Lifecycle Rebalance can be configured with some pretty simple .xml files. I usually increase the square footage per person for high density residential to keep my populations lower.

Also, if you want to have a car-free city you might want to grab Network Extensions.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=478820060

It includes pedestrian/service/commercial only roads, and you can enable just those if they're all you want. This should allow you to have a pedestrian only city since you can't ever really get rid of all car traffic otherwise.

Avocados posted:

The underground tracks can be pretty tricky to lay down on certain terrains, but other than that no there's not really any benefit to trains over subway besides cost. But yeah, trains do look cooler so I usually just use trains and trams instead of subways.

zedprime posted:

It think its been brushed upon in different mods, but in vanilla you are actively discouraged from using trains as a local transport option because cim preferences are set assuming its the sort of thing you ride to get out of town. So where cims will actively go out of their way to ride buses, trams, and subways, they will actively avoid commuter train lines.

I've actually had a lot of success using rail as as a transportation option with vanilla. Cims will definitely take a train across town if you give them the option. I usually set up my bus routes to feed into tram/train stations.

This is the usage I had on my map about a year ago. Pretty much all of that was local use.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://imgur.com/a/TT4xZ

I downloaded a bunch of new assets and fixed a bunch of dependency issues, luckily I have 16GB of RAM and the game loaded on a SSD so my load times aren't too terrible despite 800+ total assets installed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mandalay posted:

For a while I re-installed Simcity 5

Do you uh... do you need someone to come check on you? :ohdear:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What I'd do in change things so you can also build metro on the surface and elevated, jack up the cost if building/maintaining it underground, rename the network City Rail, and rename the other Heavy Rail.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Police Automaton posted:

I always toyed with the idea of a city where there's no private traffic (all pedestrian, service and public) and I think it might be possible.
There's some prefab road layouts that have all the infrastructure, you just gotta plop the zone. But its *too* efficient and it ruins the fun of handcrafting a ped/bike town. However, yeah it can be done.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

What I'd do in change things so you can also build metro on the surface and elevated, jack up the cost if building/maintaining it underground, rename the network City Rail, and rename the other Heavy Rail.

This is actually going to happen. Bloody Penguin and another modder and working on overhauling metro to include surface and elevated tracks, visible cars, etc. I think the last estimation for the metro overhaul is early this month.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Fish Fry Andy posted:

This is actually going to happen. Bloody Penguin and another modder and working on overhauling metro to include surface and elevated tracks, visible cars, etc. I think the last estimation for the metro overhaul is early this month.

On the one hand, I am excited for this, on the other, I hate relying on mods for things I feel should be a core part of the game. :negative:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ToastyPotato posted:

On the one hand, I am excited for this, on the other, I hate relying on mods for things I feel should be a core part of the game. :negative:

This is usually my attitude with games but the mod community here seems to be doing 90% of the development for this game since release, playing skylines without mods is like buying a Paradox studio title on release then never getting any dlc or patches, you'll be stuck with a pretty unfinished product.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

My fear with deep gameplay mods like this is that should the mod team no longer update it for what ever reason, assuming the game is still being patched, then you're hosed. Patch breaks mod. Mod is dead. All your work using that mod is dead. It's such a gamble.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ToastyPotato posted:

They really should just hire Bloody Penguin and maybe Propane Dragon. Rush Hour is basically what the After Dark DLC/patch should have been. Like, if I remember right CO said that traffic will change between day and night time, and that just straight up doesn't happen in the vanilla game.

Baronjutter posted:

This is usually my attitude with games but the mod community here seems to be doing 90% of the development for this game since release, playing skylines without mods is like buying a Paradox studio title on release then never getting any dlc or patches, you'll be stuck with a pretty unfinished product.

Hopefully the next DLC/expansion pack focuses more on the underlying economic simulation since modders seem to bee unaable to touch it. Their community manager said that they're aware of the city-painter criticism and are taking it "seriously".

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 5, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ToastyPotato posted:

My fear with deep gameplay mods like this is that should the mod team no longer update it for what ever reason, assuming the game is still being patched, then you're hosed. Patch breaks mod. Mod is dead. All your work using that mod is dead. It's such a gamble.

Are you really playing the same city for a year+ though? Also I don't think this has even happened once yet, the modders are pretty organized and the few times someone "retires" someone else takes the code and keeps it updated or rolls the features into something else.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Are you really playing the same city for a year+ though? Also I don't think this has even happened once yet, the modders are pretty organized and the few times someone "retires" someone else takes the code and keeps it updated or rolls the features into something else.

I still have my first city that I play. I play at a very glacial pace though. Taking huge breaks.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

There are a few mods which are dead in the water, but I think it's mostly the ones that got folded into the base game. Fine road heights, the terrain texture replacer, etc. It kind of sucks because there's a really good looking texture set for the terrain replacer that hasn't been converted into a map theme.

There are also quite a few old buildings that were never updated for night lights, unfortunately.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I bought this game when it came out, but due to a terrible computer I never really had a chance to give it any attention. Now that I have a real PC I am ready to get back into it, but before I do I have a question! Is it possible to make small villages/hamlets in this game? I know that the objective is to build a massive metropolis, but I've always been interested in the opposite.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you're going for the population milestones, no, not really, unless you want to build a whole bunch of hamlets for the same progress as one city. Thankfully you can just play with all the milestones unlocked and use your income as your progress blocker.

edit: I mean, it's possible, it's just not viable for progression.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 5, 2016

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I bought this game when it came out, but due to a terrible computer I never really had a chance to give it any attention. Now that I have a real PC I am ready to get back into it, but before I do I have a question! Is it possible to make small villages/hamlets in this game? I know that the objective is to build a massive metropolis, but I've always been interested in the opposite.

There's nothing forcing you to make large cities. Judging from all of the youtube videos of this game that I've seen a lot of people just make small towns and meticulously detail them.

e: If you want to make a lot of small towns I'd grab the 81 tiles mod and look for 81 tile maps in the workshop.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 5, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

So this thing just appeared in my regular reading feed: http://www.vox.com/2016/8/4/12342806/barcelona-superblocks

Has anyone attempted to build something like that in C:S, and how does the traffic sim deal with that kind of design? Does it create the right behaviour or would you just go nuts trying to keep the traffic lights from appearing where you want them the least?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Tippis posted:

So this thing just appeared in my regular reading feed: http://www.vox.com/2016/8/4/12342806/barcelona-superblocks

Has anyone attempted to build something like that in C:S, and how does the traffic sim deal with that kind of design? Does it create the right behaviour or would you just go nuts trying to keep the traffic lights from appearing where you want them the least?

This is basically a variation on the fused grid. A long while back I had a roughly 100k-cim city using my own implementation of the concept and it worked well. Here are a couple of albums:

http://imgur.com/a/gFLMp
http://imgur.com/a/vRVWY

In general it fits nicely with C:S' traffic model since it's so tightly based around trunk->branch->leaf network layout, which is what C:S likes. The trickiest thing I could see with the specific variant from your article is that C:S doesn't do well with one-way streets for local traffic, in particular because services can't propagate for poo poo on them. Personally I think service radii for almost all buildings should be bumped up considerably, like double or more, which would help with that issue.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've done somewhat similar schemes, because a one way street branching off a main street doesn't create a traffic light. So if you make sort of mini roundabouts within blocks you can squeeze extra intersections out of a (mega or regular) block with less traffic lights. But yeah, its kind of lovely for efficient service propagation.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
Any room to shamelessly plug some goon-made assets?

Just finished Suburban Station, a three-track underground train station which will connect directly with underground pedestrian path networks.

4 x 15 lot, 20,000 tris, 200 tri lod, 512 x 1024 texture. Tried to keep it down as much as possible, but it's still pretty poly heavy... don't place a whole bunch of them.

Need some feedback on whatever terrible bugs are in it so I can fix it tomorrow morning while I'm hungover as all hell.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

donoteat posted:

Any room to shamelessly plug some goon-made assets?

Just finished Suburban Station, a three-track underground train station which will connect directly with underground pedestrian path networks.

4 x 15 lot, 20,000 tris, 200 tri lod, 512 x 1024 texture. Tried to keep it down as much as possible, but it's still pretty poly heavy... don't place a whole bunch of them.

Need some feedback on whatever terrible bugs are in it so I can fix it tomorrow morning while I'm hungover as all hell.

This is great, I'm definitely going to find a place for it in my city.

edit: working on some new stuff of my own, a basic shipping warehouse. Will probably do a few different sizes for variety. RICO, level 1 industrial.

Chenghiz fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 7, 2016

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I've just finished 2 maps, one which I taught myself the basics of map making with, and one which I've spent a long time planning out and making optimally conditioned to how I like to build cities.

I present Zoe Bay, and the theoretically better version of it, Mountain Bay.

I'm not quite sure if Mountain Bay actually uses the terrain theme I've created for it, because I'm dumb and an idiot, so I'd appreciate it if you guys can download it and test to make sure it uses the right theme textures.
Additionally, I tried to keep the requirements down by not using stacks of different trees for landscaping, am I right in thinking that is best practice?

Any other criticisms/suggestions/etc are more than welcome too, I've really got no idea what I'm doing, but I'll take all input on board and update the maps with anything I can be bothered fixing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

New expansion will be announced next week at Gamescom, according to official social media account.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzDfXUQ8vD8

Still trying to nail down that just-postwar-or-maybe-just-prewar feel down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anything pre or just post war wouldn't have those massive 3 lane freeways, but otherwise looks pretty darn good.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Anything pre or just post war wouldn't have those massive 3 lane freeways, but otherwise looks pretty darn good.
:shrug: There's not a lot of maps which don't just use the default freeways everywhere, and it's expensive to replace big chunks of that with boulevards and state routes. But point taken.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Looks amazing, awesome job!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Ofaloaf posted:

:shrug: There's not a lot of maps which don't just use the default freeways everywhere, and it's expensive to replace big chunks of that with boulevards and state routes. But point taken.

just play with infinite money, obv.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gamerofthegame posted:

Yeah I was like "expensive?!" there's money in this game?!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of wish they had made the city managing part more interesting, because there really isn't any point to it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's not an urban bonsai tree game if you give yourself that level of freedom in regards to planning and growth. :colbert: Which is also why I'm upset so many cool buildings now are all RICO ploppables instead of growables.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always try to keep my city in the black, that's the level of financial management I'll do. But as long as you're in the black your money is essentially infinite if you just wait long enough. Playing with unlimited money just skip out the "sitting around waiting for money" stage. Just set a rule that you have to stay in the black and you're golden.

The few times I played with money on I found the first couple hours of the game involved a lot of waiting around, then my income would explode and I couldn't spend it fast enough, so it was essentially infinite. Turning it on from the start just skips annoyingly waiting around for the cash to roll in.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

You could always use my starter city to skip the boring phase...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
never mind im a moron