Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Witcher 3 is excellent and all, but it has what I call superfluous RPG elements. There are loads of lovingly-modeled suits of armour that you can wear but you never will, because most players will stick to the same four sets of Witcher gear. You can slot in runes in your gear for bonuses like "+5% to cause bleeding" that will hardly make a difference in combat because you will tear through thousands of enemies no quicker than usual. For all the fancy stats on a weapon you'll just pick the one sword that does the most damage. It feels like makers want to make an old-school stat-heavy RPG so hard that they add in all this fluff to hide the fact that the core game-play is pretty simple ARRG fare.

It reminds of shooters that try to spice up progression with bonuses like "Bullet Damage +3%".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So my friend convinced me to try LISA and it's an interesting game, except for one massive, massive problem. It randomly just lags the gently caress out and decides to consume ridiculous amounts of CPU. Like more CPU usage than Final Fantasy XIV. It reached a point earlier where there was a minute between me hitting the right key, and the character visibly moving. I timed it. This game seems to be loving unplayable for some reason.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Witcher 3 is excellent and all, but it has what I call superfluous RPG elements. There are loads of lovingly-modeled suits of armour that you can wear but you never will, because most players will stick to the same four sets of Witcher gear. You can slot in runes in your gear for bonuses like "+5% to cause bleeding" that will hardly make a difference in combat because you will tear through thousands of enemies no quicker than usual. For all the fancy stats on a weapon you'll just pick the one sword that does the most damage. It feels like makers want to make an old-school stat-heavy RPG so hard that they add in all this fluff to hide the fact that the core game-play is pretty simple ARRG fare.

It reminds of shooters that try to spice up progression with bonuses like "Bullet Damage +3%".

Yeah, the Witcher is a series where it really doesn't make sense for the main character to be running around doing standard fantasy RPG looting. He's supposed to already have all the equipment he needs because that's his job.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Leal posted:

Yeah, its silly in games with point allocations (often finite) outright punish you for not putting some points in certain skills by making your character a functional retard when it comes to that one thing...

In Alpha Protocol, you don't even get better with more points put into it. You do more damage and you can get more neat abilities and when you're lining up a critical hit it reduces the time it takes, but the base-line aim-and-shoot combat never changes.

I have other problems with this game, but I am playing an almost entirely stealth-and-melee build and I'm fighting this loving coke fiend and it seems like this entire level is punishing me for not putting all my points in assault rifles. All I have is my pistol and my fists, and he annihilates me in combat and is a crack-shot from the other side of the room.

:argh:

Nuebot posted:

So my friend convinced me to try LISA and it's an interesting game, except for one massive, massive problem. It randomly just lags the gently caress out and decides to consume ridiculous amounts of CPU. Like more CPU usage than Final Fantasy XIV. It reached a point earlier where there was a minute between me hitting the right key, and the character visibly moving. I timed it. This game seems to be loving unplayable for some reason.

I have similar issues. The game is almost unplayable on my laptop. Even worse, often the game will freeze for a few seconds, but it is actually still playing, and Brad is still walking in the last direction I was pressing, so all too often when the game returns to motion I discover Brad walked off a loving cliff and I just lost forty minutes of progress.

edit: :argh:

credburn has a new favorite as of 12:18 on Aug 4, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

credburn posted:

In Alpha Protocol, you don't even get better with more points put into it. You do more damage and you can get more neat abilities and when you're lining up a critical hit it reduces the time it takes, but the base-line aim-and-shoot combat never changes.

I have other problems with this game, but I am playing an almost entirely stealth-and-melee build and I'm fighting this loving coke fiend and it seems like this entire level is punishing me for not putting all my points in assault rifles. All I have is my pistol and my fists, and he annihilates me in combat and is a crack-shot from the other side of the room.

Yeah drugged up russian is definitely no-fun if you aren't built right to fight him, same with a few other bosses. I had a similar build to you when I did it and my entire strategy was to just run around the room like a moron until his super drug powers ran out and shoot him, then run around some more. Thankfully handguns gently caress everything else up real good. Except for one specific area of the game.

credburn posted:

I have similar issues. The game is almost unplayable on my laptop. Even worse, often the game will freeze for a few seconds, but it is actually still playing, and Brad is still walking in the last direction I was pressing, so all too often when the game returns to motion I discover Brad walked off a loving cliff and I just lost forty minutes of progress.

Yeah, the freezing but he keeps walking thing happened to me. I could hear the footsteps but nothing was showing up on screen for ages. This game is intriguing as hell but if the whole game is like this I don't think I'll be able to power through it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've bitched enough about the 30fps cap in Hyper Light Drifter but what really blows is that is no in-game way of knowing which collectibles you have found. There are over a hundred of these things and you need to use a tool off reddit if you don't want to waste time backtracking.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

credburn posted:

If you go do the Taiwan missions, you'll make a friend who can help with that.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Xythe posted:

Well, when a man and a woman love each other very much...

It's when someone good at a game with ranked matchmaking makes new accounts to play against new/bad players. This is quite prevalent in F2P games. I'm not sure if purposefully lowering your rank to accomplish the same thing constitutes "smurfing" but it's at least in the same vein and more common with games you have to buy.

It's worth bringing up Overwatch here.

Until recently Overwatch had a "I don't want to match with this player" option, so you could tag offensive/rude/uncooperative players and not get put into matches with them again.

This resulted in one of the best Widow maker (typical fps sniper and camper) players getting tagged all the time, just because playing against a very talented sniper loving sucks.

As a result of all the tags, this guy would queue for 5 minutes or more before getting put in a match. Which caused the matchmaker to look at a broader range of matches, and put him in matches with even lower ranked players. Who presumably tagged un-match even faster.

I don't know quite how far it got, but I like to imagine this demonic sniper massacring increasingly inexperienced players as he gets forced down the rankings.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The other thing that drives smurfing in pc shooting games at least is at the top end of the game relatively speaking is you get a lot of cheaters. I don't mean ugh that guy hacks whining when you just get outshot but you can watch the demo of a csgo game and see the other guys perspective and watch him track your head through walls. It finally got to the point in my case where I got an esea subscription just for the better anticheat.

So cheaters are the thing dragging multiplayer shootman games.

That said having the ability to see through walls while an absurd and ridiculous advantage probably isn't near the advantage you can get in mmos between new max level players and BIS max level players and the few mmos i've gotten to that point with did gently caress all to separate them in their lovely 3 point hold modes. At least with smurfs the guy is using his skill. In mmos its just some potato person who's in probably can't lose because you can't hurt him and he has to do gently caress all to hurt you because he's been a lifer for 3 years now.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Baron Corbyn posted:

If you go do the Taiwan missions, you'll make a friend who can help with that.

Well, nuts. Was that articulated in any way? Though I could see it was offering me the choice, I was doing these missions in the order in which they appeared.

I don't want to have to redo this mission. I'll just keep slogging away at this coke fiend with the one song on his iPod. I almost beat him; had him down to a sliver of his health and I went into fury and started wailing on him, but he did this sort of running-away animation and crying about something and became invulnerable and I thought a cutscene was beginning so I stopped fighting, but no, he turned around and shot me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's worth bringing up Overwatch here.

Until recently Overwatch had a "I don't want to match with this player" option, so you could tag offensive/rude/uncooperative players and not get put into matches with them again.

This resulted in one of the best Widow maker (typical fps sniper and camper) players getting tagged all the time, just because playing against a very talented sniper loving sucks.

As a result of all the tags, this guy would queue for 5 minutes or more before getting put in a match. Which caused the matchmaker to look at a broader range of matches, and put him in matches with even lower ranked players. Who presumably tagged un-match even faster.

I don't know quite how far it got, but I like to imagine this demonic sniper massacring increasingly inexperienced players as he gets forced down the rankings.

Good FPS snipers don't camp.

They're usually super aggressive.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yet overwatch is not a good FPS.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Digirat posted:

Yet overwatch is not a good FPS.

Overwatch is like four good games and four sub-par games, some of which are FPSes (but most of which are at least first-person), all taking place on the same map. Which game the map is from varies wildly, but is usually not kind to the games it's not from.

I honestly think it's a good game, but gently caress it needs work in places Blizzard aren't putting it yet.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

You've possibly already tried this, but does it still happen if you select "legacy version" when you launch LISA from Steam? RPG Maker reacts weird sometimes.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I've bitched enough about the 30fps cap in Hyper Light Drifter but what really blows is that is no in-game way of knowing which collectibles you have found. There are over a hundred of these things and you need to use a tool off reddit if you don't want to waste time backtracking.

That's still the only game I've gotten a refund for on Steam. What killed it for me was when they fixed a bunch of problems in a patch, then reverted them when a bunch of "hardcore gamer" babies complained.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

credburn posted:

Well, nuts. Was that articulated in any way? Though I could see it was offering me the choice, I was doing these missions in the order in which they appeared.

Whenever you start a mission there's intel you can buy. Some of these are tied to characters you meet throughout the game (and sometimes depending on if you killed them or let them live). I don't know if the game blatantly tells you this (beyond "actions have consequences") but it gives you another reason to play the game a second time.

*or third, or fourth, or fifth, etc

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Basically every possible mission order results in different intel opportunities.

But meeting Heck early gives you lots of assists during future missions.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Leal posted:

Yeah, its silly in games with point allocations (often finite) outright punish you for not putting some points in certain skills by making your character a functional retard when it comes to that one thing. A super spy or a cybernetically enhanced soldier (seriously, Denton couldn't shoot the statue of liberty if his weapon stat was at 0. Give invisible war all the poo poo you want, at least Alex didn't have shaky hands or whatever that causes his cone of fire to take up the entire center screen) should just know how to do those things competently. 0 should be the baseline and putting points in it should give extra perks, not the privilege to use it like a functional human being.
I've played Invisible War and Human Revolution multiple times. I've attempted to play the original Deus Ex multiple times and given up in the first level because it is a terrible game.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So, instead of identifying the actual problem (which was that no one wants to play against this tactic) and somehow preventing or disincentivising that tactic, they just got rid of your ability to choose who you will or won't play with?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yup. Their solution to a player getting avoided a lot was to just remove the feature for everyone. This feature was literally the only control you had over matchmaking (you could not search for games with certain conditions or anything, just "find any game and hope for the best")

Overwatch was the first, and now probably last, blizzard game I have bothered with since starcraft 1. It is just hilariously dumb in so many ways. Like how their idea for how to break ties in competitive was to play an asymmetrical game mode :laffo:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tiggum posted:

So, instead of identifying the actual problem (which was that no one wants to play against this tactic) and somehow preventing or disincentivising that tactic, they just got rid of your ability to choose who you will or won't play with?

The problem wasn't just that, for example, people didn't want to play against a good sniper. It could be that they didn't want to play against anyone good. So more and more good players (not, you know, cheap or hardcore 360noscopers or anything, just good players) would be directly punished.

My problem with Overwatch is that you'd think a game company like Blizzard could balance a game with any sort of degree of competence, given how much experience they have in doing so. But nope, they just keep wildly swinging character competencies back and forth with abandon.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That Widowmaker player situation is what they used as an example. Think about it, how long would it take for that problem would become widespread? I'm going to assume that about three months in the playerbase is not growing all that much anymore (and you are not going to be matched with new players anyway). Eventually the avoid feature would turn matchmaking into one big nightmare with long queues and one man armies, all because people avoid players who are good instead of avoiding players who are acting like a jerk (I assume that was the main design idea behind it).

Morpheus posted:

My problem with Overwatch is that you'd think a game company like Blizzard could balance a game with any sort of degree of competence, given how much experience they have in doing so. But nope, they just keep wildly swinging character competencies back and forth with abandon.

I can only think about McCree here. Who else do you think has been mismanaged?

Edit: Man, I am the guy with the Overwatch avatar speaking positively about Overwatch in the PYF things dragging this game down thread. Still...

Digirat posted:

Overwatch was the first, and now probably last, blizzard game I have bothered with since starcraft 1. It is just hilariously dumb in so many ways. Like how their idea for how to break ties in competitive was to play an asymmetrical game mode :laffo:

They said they are removing sudden death in season 2. They said that before season 1 even begun. So you can knock them for implementing it in the first place (and not delaying competitive play by another month), but it's silly to write it off already.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 19:25 on Aug 4, 2016

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

I can only think about McCree here. Who else do you think has been mismanaged?

Recently, Dva was a little weak, so they buffed her with a variety of things, like changing how her shield works, buffing her damage output, preventing her from suiciding on her own ultimate attack, and all that stuff (and a couple other small things, I'm sure) has combined to make her now feel like too much (also I'm not a fan of how her shield is now so similar to Reinhardt's).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

I've played Invisible War and Human Revolution multiple times. I've attempted to play the original Deus Ex multiple times and given up in the first level because it is a terrible game.

You monster.

The first level of DX is weird, though. It's a great level, if you know how the game works already. If you're picking up the game for the first time it's a major nutpunch.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Man, if you'd worked in an "I wanted orange and they gave lemon-lime" joke, this would've been a killer troll post.

What a shame.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The solution is simple.

Remove snipers from Overwatch, probled solved.

In fact if OW didn't have Widowmaker, Hanzo and Junkrat it would be a much better game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Also, remove everyone that isn't Soldier 76.

We're all soldiers, forever.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alteisen posted:

The solution is simple.

Remove snipers from Overwatch, probled solved.

In fact if OW didn't have Widowmaker, Hanzo and Junkrat it would be a much better game.

Honestly, just remove snipers from every multiplayer shooter ever. Snipers are a garbage mechanic in almost every MP game they're featured in.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Perestroika posted:

Honestly, just remove snipers from every multiplayer shooter ever. Snipers are a garbage mechanic in almost every MP game they're featured in.

When I played Bad Company 2, I used to play as an assault and use my ammo box to endlessly spam smoke grenades at the 6-8 friendly snipers that would all park their asses at one spot. Made it look like a Grateful Dead concert.

They got maaaaaaaaad.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Its the life cycle of any big multiplayer game: weeks in the PYF little things thread, years in the PYF things dragging this game down thread.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Morpheus posted:

This ain't new.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You monster.

The first level of DX is weird, though. It's a great level, if you know how the game works already. If you're picking up the game for the first time it's a major nutpunch.

The way Deus Ex's mechanics are set up, the first level is the hardest, and the late levels are generally fairly easy because you've found all the weapon mods and aug canisters. It's weird.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Deus Ex's gameplay is crappy. It was outdated even when it had just come out. The guns are not fun to shoot, the button-activated augmentations are cumbersome and clunky to use, the individual limb damage system serves almost no purpose, and the stealth is incredibly basic. It's a shame, because in most other areas it's a pretty good game.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

CJacobs posted:

Deus Ex's gameplay is crappy. It was outdated even when it had just come out. The guns are not fun to shoot, the button-activated augmentations are cumbersome and clunky to use, the individual limb damage system serves almost no purpose, and the stealth is incredibly basic. It's a shame, because in most other areas it's a pretty good game.

If the speed aug is wrong, I don't want to be right. :colbert:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Perestroika posted:

Well I'm being facetious but I do find snipers odd in Overwatch, I mean I understand their role but OW is purely objective based and a sniper is never on the point and unless they're insanely good they don't contribute much, granted in OW you can swap characters at any time but its rare to see someone who started as a sniper switch.

Really OW in general feels like a game that could have used a bit more development time to hash out map and character issues.

But seriously gently caress Junkrat, he doesn't even need to see you to spam his bullshit and can basically shutdown an entire lane, they also do tons of damage when they connect. :colbert:

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

credburn posted:

I don't want to have to redo this mission. I'll just keep slogging away at this coke fiend with the one song on his iPod. I almost beat him; had him down to a sliver of his health and I went into fury and started wailing on him, but he did this sort of running-away animation and crying about something and became invulnerable and I thought a cutscene was beginning so I stopped fighting, but no, he turned around and shot me.

When I played it that situation you're in was bugged. The only solution was literally to do the other mission first, and heaven help you if you didn't have chainshot. I had to go back, do the other mission and then go do the coke fiend again, because I was hopelessly stuck with the coke guy losing a quarter of health then regenning instantly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Twitch posted:

You've possibly already tried this, but does it still happen if you select "legacy version" when you launch LISA from Steam? RPG Maker reacts weird sometimes.

I had no clue what Legacy Version was and am afraid to try new things. I'll try it next time I play.

Perestroika posted:

It's weird that snipers are almost always one or two shots to kill, can be used from any range and you can just squat in a corner and never move to get the highest score of the match. Yet people who love snipers will scream themselves to death saying how they're the most skillful weapons in any FPS.

In Destiny the snipers have been pretty much unchanged for loving ever. The amount of auto-aim they have means you barely even have to aim because as long as you've got your cursor near a dude, you've got a free headshot. You can literally just stand down a hallway with your sights vaguely at head height and win most exchanges because you will shoot faster and kill them in one shot, unless they also snipe you will win. Every map is designed for snipers. Many snipers are semi-automatic. You can get two body shots off faster than some shotguns can fire at close range. They are the best weapons at any range, you don't even have to fire them scoped to kill people and on top of all that, Bungie nerfs any weapon that people use to counter them because sniper players will throw a loving fit any time they get killed. Shotgun players creep up behind them and kill them? Whoops shotguns are too strong, enjoy not being able to use your shotgun from anything but melee range now. Grenades actually being useful? Several classes were nerfed so badly recently that their grenades can't even kill now. Were you using a handcannon to rush a sniper and blow their heads off before you got shot? Well handcannons are weaker and less accurate than ever! Everything is weaker and less accurate than ever. Except snipers. You can be shooting a guy in the face with an assault rifle while he's aiming down the sights of a sniper and it won't affect his aim enough to stop him from casually just getting a headshot. You won't kill him fast enough to stop it either.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I had no clue what Legacy Version was and am afraid to try new things. I'll try it next time I play.

It's weird that snipers are almost always one or two shots to kill, can be used from any range and you can just squat in a corner and never move to get the highest score of the match. Yet people who love snipers will scream themselves to death saying how they're the most skillful weapons in any FPS.

In Destiny...

Everything I've seen suggest that Destiny is a terrible PvP game and I have no idea why anyone plays it as such.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Everything I've seen suggest that Destiny is a terrible PvP game and I have no idea why anyone plays it as such.

Because you have to, to progress in PVE.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Nuebot posted:

Because you have to, to progress in PVE.

What the gently caress kind of dumbass decision is that!?

:psyduck:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snipers are the opposite in battlefield, where traditional sniper players are terrible wastes of space on your team. They don't take flags, they don't support the team with health/ammo/repairs/motion detectors, it's prohibitively hard to snipe at ultra long range because of bullet drop and bullet travel time and the need to headshot with a bolt action rifle to kill in one shot, and there are so many players on each team that the occasional kill the wookie gets doesn't mean much. You also can't do anything to tanks and IFVs.

Because battlefield bad company 2 is a good game, the best way to play the wookie class is ironically to pack a shotgun, throw motion balls and destroy people on the front line with the rest of your team. Or if not a shotgun, just a sniper rifle without a scope, blasting people away with your M95 at knife range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

What the gently caress kind of dumbass decision is that!?

:psyduck:

You have this thing called Light which is an average of all your items levels. You can do a raid like once a week, a raid will drop like one or two items at the light level cap if you're lucky. The other main ways to get items with high light is limited to PVP events that happen every month.